Menu

What sounds have you heard in the last 10 minutes?

MercyA

I'll start!

A train whistle and then the train clattering by (the tracks are all the way across town, but it's a small town!)

The hoofbeats of a horse pulling an Amish buggy (and I thought, hmmm, what are you doing out at half past midnight on a Friday night?? 😉)

A drink pouring into my glass, because I have insomnia.

The ticking of a little crystal clock, given to me at high school graduation by the ladies at the library where I worked.

And now...silence except for my keyboard, because everyone else is in bed. 🙂 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

My toilet is running a little wincing for my water bill 

We had two toilets that needed some rubber seal thingy replaced. In three months our water bill went up by $500. A running toilet uses a lot of water, we learnt.

Sorry @MercyAto hijack your thread.

It's 3.45pm on Saturday here. Plenty of noise 🙂

• Like 3

Star Trek TNG playing on my laptop for a noise distraction while I play online. (The episode where Worf's son's mother dies)

The air moving through the air vent.

The ringing in my ear (tinnitis)

If I silence my laptop, I hear distant traffic on the freeway. 

An airplane flying over (we live 20 minutes from an international airport, so planes are common)

What I wish I heard:

Rustlng of trees outside.

Water from a creek nearby.... or a crackling fire (two sounds that are hard to hear inside at the same time)

Pages turning in a book, as I sit in a chair reading.

Either the above noisy silence of nature....or an adacent room with my family laughing and enjoying themselves. (two more things that are hard to hear at the same time. LOL)

I like the easy of living in a city, but I would trade it for the mountains in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Joker2 said:

Youngest pacing (ASD and it’s their stim)

Cat meowing wanting a late night treat

Heater kicking on

My ASD dd paces, too! That’s so, so often what I hear at any time of the day. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of anyone else doing this. She doesn’t just pace—a lot of times she skips! She’ll come skipping into the room full speed! And she’s 16. I absolutely love this about her. She’s amazing.

• Like 4

Great thread, @MercyA it's causing me to be actually mindful!

Water on for coffee starting to boil

Cats racing around the house: kitten bones on the wood floors

30 mile per hour winds with gusts up to 50 howling outside, my old house creaking and popping in response

The sequence of sounds as my husband builds the fire: scraping as the slider pulls out, the creak of the flipper pointing to the chimney, the air intakes shoot open, metal on brick as he scrapes the ashes down, clunking wood, crumpling newspaper, hollow sounding sticks of kindling, fire.

• Like 4

A cat meowing for his breakfast, the sound of coffee making and the sounds of dh and ds playing Minecraft. And just now, the  dog snarling at the cat because the cat stepped on the  the dog because she was lying completely under the blanket next to ds and the cat came to sit with ds and didn’t know the dog was already there.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The cat water fountain tinkling because it was getting low on water.

Cats trilling at me for breakfast.

The snap of the can opening for cat breakfast.

Cat feet running in random patterns and jumping up and down onto and from surfaces while they wait for me to dish out food.

The scrape of the spoon in the can to get the food out.

The water running from the tap to fill the jug.

The water running from the jug into the cat water fountain.

The water running into my kettle to make tea.

The rumble of the kettle heating up.

Water boiling.

Sound of water running into my tea mug.

The buzzing of a light fixture now that the rest of the sounds have stopped.

• Like 3

My 14 year old daughter, not ASD but ADHD and anxiety, paces as well.  But her pacing is skipping back and forth in her room and actually running into the walls.   So, I often hear 'slide tap, slide tap, slide tap, THUMP' over and over again.  

Right now I hear the tv playing the morning news.    The tv is on if dh is home.  I tend to keep it off.  Once he goes to bed I mostly hear the kids in their rooms talking to friends or playing games, my keyboard, the blower from the heat (it's super cold here), the dogs nails on the floors. 

• Like 4

Heat through the vent in the floor

An episode of Wheel of Time that dh is watching on the TV in the living room and my dh asking me to come in and watch a discussion about pacifism he thought I would like. (I have watched a little of this show but I need to sit down and watch it from the beginning.)

The clicking of keys on the keyboard of my laptop. I'm emailing students grades from a quiz. I teach math online to homeschool students. 

My phone dinging from some texts. 

• Like 3

The sound of a bobcat machine driving across our yard, and then clanging and thumping as my sister, BIL, and DH dump chunks of tree trunk into the bed of BIL's trailer. Sis and BIL have a wood stove, so they are taking the wood as payment for clearing some trees that came down in a previous storm.

The kitchen fan blowing in the kitchen, as I cook some rice for soup. If sis and BIL are still here at lunchtime, I wanted to be able to offer them something. If not, we will eat the soup for supper.

The dog whining for me to put her sweater back on. We took it off, thinking she would run around the yard with my sister's dog, but she is preferring to be inside and fully dressed (sweater plus two bandanas). She is very attached to her clothing and doesn't like it when we remove it.

Now the timer is beeping that the rice is done.

Also, I have tinnitus, as well, and I hear that, now that others have mentioned it. Usually I tune it out.

My keyboard clacking.

One of the teen shutting a door upstairs.

Adding one more -- the bell of the kitten's collar, as he changed position. He gets underfoot, and we had to put a bell on him to keep from stepping on him.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 4

It's a beautiful day and the windows are open so I'm hearing a few outside noises.

A dog barking somewhere.
A mourning dove cooing
A sandhill crane calling its mate
A door closing in the distance 
My niece's voice on the phone
My phone buzzing after we hung up and she sent me her teenage twins' phone numbers
Dh clearing his throat 
The clicking of my mouse as I liked a bunch of posts in this thread. 🙂 

• Like 4

Birds (mostly the pet ones - Sun conure that wants attention and budgies that are talking to each other plus some wild bird that I’m not familiar with and a magpie)

Flies buzzing

Ceiling fan 

distant traffic

One kids voice 

the house roof expanding in the heat

myself typing in my phone keyboard 

some kind of weird machine noise that I can’t place, possibly solar panels or the outside freezer)

• Like 4

Fusion instrumental music in the background

Dishwasher humming

DH making tea while conversing with DD

DD's laughter as they make popcorn

DS shuffling around as he selects a movie for the night

Recliner creaking as I become comfortable 

Sounds of typing as I make this post

Fake fireplace making lovely sounds of fire crackling and changing colors

• Like 4