Menu

My father died of Covid

GracieJane

Some of you may remember my early-60s, vaccinated (twice) and healthy father got Covid in December. He died this week in the hospital. 

I am grieving. I don’t know what to do. I don’t even know why I am posting here, other than to ask: what do I do? What do you do when someone you love enormously, eternally dies? I wake up every hour and wonder Now What? I feel like a shell of my former self. Two years of psychological hell, I stayed calm, unflappable to help those around me. Two years of masks, cancelled school, activities, health anxiety, I smiled and soothed them: It Will Be Okay. And then my father just…dies.

Today I thought, I should cut my hair. That’s seems like A Thing I Can Do. Or I should exercise. I need to do something to return to the world, the world bustles and laughs and moves on while I’m standing behind this cloudy glass, looking in. What do I do?

• Like 1
  • Sad 108

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have often wished we had something akin to Victorian middle class mourning customs where we could wear an armband or understandably be excused from social stuff for a while. It’s hard to feel so devastated and watch the world keep spinning as everyone else keeps living their un-devastated normal lives.

Hugs, GracieJane. 

• Like 26

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have often wished we had something akin to Victorian middle class mourning customs where we could wear an armband or understandably be excused from social stuff for a while. It’s hard to feel so devastated and watch the world keep spinning as everyone else keeps living their un-devastated normal lives.

Hugs, GracieJane. 

@GracieJane I'm so sorry. ❤️

I think there is some wisdom in the above. When my brother-in-law died, I thought maybe I should wear black for a period of time, since I couldn't go to the funeral.  For whatever reason, that made sense to me and "felt right". 

Don't cut your hair, though. ❤️ 

• Like 6

I’m so sorry for your loss. 

Don’t cut your hair. Don’t make any big changes for at least six months, and preferably 3 years. Except maybe consider getting a pet. A dog or cat can really help with grief. 

If you get into a place you absolutely cannot function or control your emotions ever, that’s not grief, it’s situational depression. If that happens, first get off hormonal birth control, then if it doesn’t lift within 3 days, go get help. 

• Like 5

Wow, I am so  very sorry. 

What you are feeling right now is so very normal.  Going through this in a pandemic makes it so much harder.

I hope and pray there is someone who will sit in the ashes with you as you grieve.  

The weather here stinks but even just going for a walk would be good if you can manage it where you live.  

I'm so, so sorry.  Prayers for you.

• Like 5

Whatever you want. If you want to cry then cry. If you want to go for a walk then go for a walk. If you want to call a family member then call them. Breath, shower, eat, hug your kids. You will feel better in time, but right now you don't have that, so just keep going until you do.

• Like 10

Oh, honey, I'm so sorry.

I need to do something to return to the world, the world bustles and laughs and moves on while I’m standing behind this cloudy glass, looking in. What do I do?

Yeah, that's the worst part.

When my father died, 5 years ago long before COVID, after a good life, and all things considered a pretty good death as such things go... I could not BELIEVE how badly it knocked me out.

In some traditions, the bereaved pretty much DO wear black for extended periods of time, pretty much ARE excused from having to put on the game face and "move on." Give yourself that space and time even if our society has -- wrongly IMO -- given up those rituals and expectations.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Oh, honey, I'm so sorry.

Yeah, that's the worst part.

When my father died, 5 years ago long before COVID, after a good life, and all things considered a pretty good death as such things go... I could not BELIEVE how badly it knocked me out.

In some traditions, the bereaved pretty much DO wear black for extended periods of time, pretty much ARE excused from having to put on the game face and "move on." Give yourself that space and time even if our society has -- wrongly IMO -- given up those rituals and expectations.

Such a valuable point.  

• Like 1

I'm so sorry. That was the very first thing my sister said when I broke her the news about our baby brother. "What do I do?"

I spent the next two weeks digging up every photograph and making a scrapbook/photo album. Sister spent those weeks digging up every scrap of video to put on a disk. That was our 'work'. It meant we spent time with him. 

• Like 12