Menu

My parents were in a bad car accident today

Dmmetler

After leaving our house to go home, after being here for Christmas. 

My dad has a concussion and was released to us, with a statement to keep an eye on him-he suspects, as do I, that they would have kept him overnight were it not for COVID. 

My mom is in ICU after surgery to stop internal bleeding and a medevac to a trauma hospital. 

My teen is staying with a friend (who was here, with her mom, when we got the news, and suggested that L go home with them) and is tailspinning badly. 

I don't know what to do. I can't help anyone. And I can't handle having another death at this time of year. I just can't. 

• Sad 110

Oh no! I’m so sorry!

Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts to your parents and your whole family. What an awful shock for all of you! 

I hope your mom is out of the ICU and on the mend very soon, and that your dad doesn’t have any bad concussion symptoms. 

It’s such a helpless feeling when things like this happen, and I feel just awful for you. 😞 

The ICU nurse called at 3:45 am, and she's regained consciousness. Visitation is very limited, but we will be taking my dad over this morning to see her. I'm torn on whether to wake him since he is asleep (probably largely due to the meds the hospital prescribed for pain, but still, he needs it. But I suspect they need to see each other asap, too). I think my priority today is to see if my dad's glasses and CPAP survived the crash,and if not, to see if I can get prescriptions sent here and hopefully replace them. I'd also like to find my mom's prescriptions because I don't know that anyone has given the hospital a full meds list, and I don't know them all, especially on dosages. 

• Like 37
  • Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

The ICU nurse called at 3:45 am, and she's regained consciousness. Visitation is very limited, but we will be taking my dad over this morning to see her. I'm torn on whether to wake him since he is asleep (probably largely due to the meds the hospital prescribed for pain, but still, he needs it. But I suspect they need to see each other asap, too). I think my priority today is to see if my dad's glasses and CPAP survived the crash,and if not, to see if I can get prescriptions sent here and hopefully replace them. I'd also like to find my mom's prescriptions because I don't know that anyone has given the hospital a full meds list, and I don't know them all, especially on dosages. 

Thank you for the update.  What a hard time for your family and everything was so sudden.  Hope both your parents recover well.  Thinking of all of you.

• Like 1

That's a lot. Back in the day when people were sent home with a concussion they were told to wake them every hour and look for an neuro changes. Take your time running him over to the hospital. He may not be up to it right away. Praying things sort out without too much difficulty and healing for all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

After leaving our house to go home, after being here for Christmas. 

My dad has a concussion and was released to us, with a statement to keep an eye on him-he suspects, as do I, that they would have kept him overnight were it not for COVID. 

My mom is in ICU after surgery to stop internal bleeding and a medevac to a trauma hospital. 

My teen is staying with a friend (who was here, with her mom, when we got the news, and suggested that L go home with them) and is tailspinning badly. 

I don't know what to do. I can't help anyone. And I can't handle having another death at this time of year. I just can't. 

I am so sorry! Thinking of you throughout the day. 💓💓💓

I talked to the resident this morning. He says Mom is stable, and is about as good as they could hope for at this point, which is still quite bad. They will, unless things change, take her into surgery tomorrow to finish the corrections and close things off. She's sedated, but responsive. 

My dad seems to be doing OK. He's in a lot of pain, mostly his back, but is coherent. I am hoping I can get his glasses prescription and we can get a pair made, because I can't imagine that's helping. He's also worried about the class he's supposed to teach in winter term, since all his notes were on the laptop, and if it didn't make it, he can't pass it on to someone else so they'd have to be ready to teach Monday from scratch. I figure him fretting about classes is probably a good sign. 

The friend who L is staying with is amazing (it sounds like she had to deal with a rather hysterical teenager last night), and I think that it's probably better for L to be somewhere stable at least for now, with a friend, cats to pet, and snakes to cuddle, since I don't think a 17 yr old would be allowed in ICU under COVID conditions (as the resident put it, that's changing almost daily right now as is even for next of kin, etc).  I don't want to impose on them too long, but I think it's better this way right now. 

• Like 20
  • Sad 9