Menu

"Forever" home

Chris in VA

Are you in your "forever" home? This concept (choosing a home to live in for the rest of your life, barring something extremely extraordinary) is so foreign to me. Well, let me say--I mean more of a choosing WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG and not close to retirement. 

JennyD's post about her parents moving close to her got me thinking. At one point several years ago, we broached the subject of my parents (who are 31 years older than me, so in their mid-80s) moving across the street from us, in a retirement/3 stage living community (super nice--used to be all military officer retirement but now is opened up). I was thinking then how ideal it'd would be--they could go to our church (we live on church grounds), I could be right here to help, there's lots to do, etc. 

But I'm glad they aren't here, because we are not done moving around the country yet. And then I was thinking how odd it is IME to stay in the same house you live in when you are 40 or so. I only know one person who has done that (sil, in OH). There are so many advantages to that. But we can't, and we didn't, and we won't. (ETA I should say I do know farmers and I do know it is not unusual to do that, but I don't know anyone personally.)

How about you? What do you think about that? 

Edited by Chris in VA

I would like to remain in my current home until I can no longer live in a house.  The house was bought about 23 years ago when I was 28.  I really like the house layout and the location, and I really hate moving.  So here's hoping the house holds out.  ?

• Like 4

Thinking some more ... my parents have been in their same house since 1979 and have no plans to move.  (They are in their 70s.)  My 3 siblings who are close to my age also all bought their houses around the same time as I did (~23 years ago) and have no plans to move.  The two youngest, I don't know as they may not be completely settled yet.  But as of now, all of us own and live in houses within about an hour's drive of my parents' house.  For that matter, my dad's only surviving sister currently lives in the house where she was born, which my great grandfather built.  ?

I do not expect that I am in my “forever” home. This house is much too big, for one thing. If I outlive dh, I also would not want to remain here, because this property is ideal for someone who has heavy equipment, but not for someone who does not. It has a big shop/garage that is useless for me but great for a contractor. It is partially heated by a wood-burning furnace, which is great, but only if you are the sort of person who chops wood. So, at the very least, I don’t plan to remain here if I outlive dh, or in the event he becomes unable to operate skid loaders and log-splitters. 

I have some “dream” notions of being in a condo or townhome with a nice community of people and some ammenities like a pool and gym as I age. I guess I’m thinking of sometime past 65 years of age. (Maybe? Blind guess.) This would be a big difference from my current life and presumably I would have to give up things like gardening and keeping chickens, but I would anticipate a trade off for little to no maintenance and a community of people to associate with. 

We have no plans to move anytime soon, but I imagine that one day we’ll find a place with only one floor.  I live in a Cape Code with a single room up a flight of stairs and a basement.  When I’m 80, I don’t want to deal with those stairs.

My house is small, so even if the kids moved out, it would be a nice size for two.  If we didn’t have the stairs, I might wonder if I was in my forever home right now.  But...the stairs.

I was in one home for 20 years and then was forced out by a highway project.  I have been in this current home for 7 years now and thought this would be a very long term home.  Well, I am now single parenting it and this place is too expensive and too big and too much upkeep so I am looking for a smaller, long term home.

My grandmother moved into her home when she married at age 20 and left it in a coffin at age 91. My parents moved into their own home around age 40 and have lived there for 40 years; hopefully, they will be able to live there until their deaths, although the geographic situation of the house makes that unlikely.

I am not in my forever home. Once we retire, there is no reason to remain in this town where we only moved for the job.. We will definitely move; perhaps closer to one of the kids, or at least to a location that has more things that are attractive to us.

No, but it makes me a bit sad.  DH and I moved a bit when we were first married but once we bought a home I wanted to never have to move, but we didn't have the money to buy a "forever home".  We got a starter home and it has been nice.  We are in the process of selling our house right now.  We have lived here almost 15 years.  It is the only home that  my kids have really known, but it is just too small for us and the neighborhood is not where we really want to be.

Both sides of my grandparents moved around a bit when they were young and newly married, but the homes they lived in when I was born were the ones they were in up until they were almost gone.  Two of them went from their home to hospice.  One had to move to assisted living, but didn't want to leave her home.  And the other lived at home until he disappeared.  He never wanted to be moved to anywhere else.  He had lived there more than 60 years.  My parents also bought a home when I was 3 and I lived there until I was married.  It was just so common in my family of origin to stay in your home "forever".

DH on the other hand grew up with grandparents that moved around a lot, and he moved several times and can remember a number of homes.  So for him the idea of a "forever home" is somewhat foreign.

After we move we plan to be there for a number of years, but expect eventually we will sell it and find a smaller place to live.

We are in our forever home, barring any unforeseen future happenings. It’s the only home we’ve ever owned and we’ve lived here twenty years. We made the decision it would be our final home a few years ago before we started doing a slow, full house remodel. We absolutely love our location, as we can walk to everything we need. And we also really like the climate and our neighborhood.

My mom is still in the home my parents bought almost fifty years ago, and just this week my MIL is moving out of the home she’s lived in for about that long.

• Like 2

It seems strange to me to plan on moving around a lot. I live in the same home I've lived in since I was ten! That was a good 25 years ago, and we're relative newcomers - lots of my neighbors have been here 30 years or longer. For a while, we had four generations in this house, and that's not so unusual on this block either. People expect their parents to help with the kids, and then later they help their parents as they age. Even if they move, they usually don't move so far.

Our house is nearly 100. In a few years, we'll throw it a birthday party.

• Like 2

We hope to stay here for the next 20 years or so. I don’t expect my ILs the be on this earth at the point in which we’d start thinking about a different house, but they could surprise.

Our stairs are steep and narrow and the laundry is in the basement. Our ground level bathroom is a bit of a fall risk with no practical way to make it better. I see us leaving in our sixties, Lord willing. 

We’ve lived here for 25 years but now the kids are grown and the house is too large and the winters too cold. Soon we’ll relocate farther south, but don’t know if it’ll be a forever house or not. We do NOT want to live in Florida but that’s where Dd and the grands live so if we end up needed help we’ll move close to her. It makes no sense for them to move closer to us- That’s where their job and life are and caring for elderly parents is difficult enough without having to uproot your family to do so. 

My parents moved close to my sister when they got old enough to need help, as did sister’s inlaws, so we hope to follow that pattern. 

I have historically moved every 5 years of my adult life. At age 51, I think I'm home. Ironically, I'm moving for grad school, just about 90 minutes away, but I'll be back in the summer and permanently after two years. This is my mom's dream house, she loves it. I enjoy it, but it is not my dream house. 

I am in my forever city, that part is most likely certain. I was just discussing that with a friend this weekend. I was born here, didn't grow up here, but am now living here for a third time in my life. I like it, I like the vision of the city, the history, the size. I want to be having coffee with this friend when I'm 80. I want to watch him get married and have a family and babysit his kids. I have honestly never felt that way about anywhere I've lived before, even here previously. I like my circle of friends, many of which are opting to stay here as well. 

Our house is 2 stories and was built in 1889. My mom will never move again. It kind of depends where my life is after she passes away - which could be a long while. If I am not in a relationship with someone or ds moves away, then this house will be too big for me alone. I would prefer a smaller bungalow if it's just me. If I am in relationship with someone, then this house is worth keeping, if they have the same reverence for older homes as I do. 

I can see living in this house until I am too old to do stairs. That's definitely a new thought process for me. 

My parents have been in their house 40 years, with plans to remain until they can't care for themselves. 

DH and I have been married 18 years, and we're in our 4th home (though we've been here 12 years). 

I don't love this house. It's cramped; there's no storage. It's falling apart. Will we move? Doubt it...not anytime soon but I'm not opposed. (My kids are vehemently opposed.)

We thought this would be our forever home, but now we aren't sure. We're smack in the middle of Texas, while our dc live on opposite ends of the West Coast. I suspect that there will be one more move for us, although it will be hard to decide where that will be.

We are home. We've been here fourteen years, mortgage will be paid in less than ten years. It's a one story, 3br ranch on half acre, on the edge of a city. A good grandma house. Big enough for families to visit, but not too much to manage, especially once we clear all the childrearing paraphernalia in a few years. We will revert the finished garage to a regular garage (dh built the finished rooms in a deconstructable way), and scale down the shed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

It seems strange to me to plan on moving around a lot. I live in the same home I've lived in since I was ten! That was a good 25 years ago, and we're relative newcomers - lots of my neighbors have been here 30 years or longer. For a while, we had four generations in this house, and that's not so unusual on this block either. People expect their parents to help with the kids, and then later they help their parents as they age. Even if they move, they usually don't move so far.

Our house is nearly 100. In a few years, we'll throw it a birthday party.

Ours too. We’re trying to finish our remodel by December 31, 2020 when our house will be 100.

We don’t enjoy moving. Once we got out of the Army and didn’t HAVE to move all the time, it turns out we’re not the type to move for kicks. It helps that we haven’t run out of things to do where we’ve settled. Most people we know have stayed put, but a lot of that is about job stability. I’m all for travel, but we’ve never really lusted for “the perfect house” so neither of us is obsessed with moving. Our home is medium sized, so it was never too small for a family or too big to age in place. 

We’ve been here for a year. The longest we’ve ever lived in any town was 5 years. The thought of being in this town, in this house, in 8 years is entirely possible - even probable - but my head can’t quite grasp that yet. It’s a very strange feeling. I got a new credit card, and while activating it, the guy asked me if, when it’s time for a new card, I wanted it mailed or pick it up at a branch. I said to mail it, and he said that sometimes people do that, then move, then don’t get their new card. I changed my mind to branch pickup out of habit (I think it’s 7 years until the card expires!), but afterwards I realized I might not have had to. That was a strange feeling!

Edited by arctic_bunny

No, because we have to move back home to the US after my dh retires, but we don't know where home is anymore. We could live by my mom and sister's family or by one of our kids wherever that might be. We've never had to choose where we were going to live during his military career or in his post-military job so being free to go anywhere we want to is a strange concept. Most of the people we know are in a similar situation. 

I have lived in ten different houses since I have been married (30 years) so I would not be surprised if we move a few more times. ? We aren’t thrilled with where we are right now which is unfortunate because I thought it might be a forever house when we bought it.  I still love the house and my immediate neighbors but some current local zoning issues mean this can’t realistically be long term, unfortunately.  I would love to stop moving  At this point we are waiting to see where the kids actually go to grad school because they have a deferred acceptance at our local Uni and plan to live in this house while attending.  They love it here.  If they go here we will move when they figure out where they will be for at least the first couple years of their careers........not necessarily by them.  Someplace with reasonable transportation to both, I guess.  We are in a holding pattern really.

I hope not. I know some people really hate to move and like the idea of having a forever home to keep memories in and to put down deep roots, but being military that was never an option. 

I like moving- I like seeing new things and having variety. I don't want to live in this state forever and our house is much too big for 2 old folks with no kids. On the other hand, since DH has retired and we don't have to move, I can sort of see the attraction and I can imagine that in a few more years, if we stay here, that I wouldn't mind staying put. It would be nice to plant some trees and watch them grow. We've been painting and putting in new flooring, and it would be nice to keep a house once I get it the way I like it instead of selling and starting over. 

I expect that at some point, we will be too old for this house. Too big, too much exterior maintenance for older folks, stairs. We have put/are putting a lot of effort into making it a comfortable and useful place for a homeschooling family with lots of children/teens and hobbies, and we have hopefully eighteen years before the last of our children will be an adult, but who knows?  My parents were similar; they had a few starter homes before building their custom house for four children, but after about twenty-five years, they no longer needed the space and wanted to be closer to kids and grandkids, so they sold it to another young family and moved on to something more suited for a retired couple who wanted to be free to travel. 

But I hope to stay in this house for a long time still. I’m finally getting a new kitchen with decent counter and cabinet space and flow.  My other half is putting in a ton of time and effort.  I really hope to get to enjoy it for a long time!

Edited by happypamama

I'd like this to be my forever home. We bought it a little over two years ago with the idea that it would be the last place we'd live before we died or went into a nursing home, whichever came first. This is the fourth house we've lived in since we got married and the fifth we've owned. There are no steps to get into the house, we can do all of our living on the main floor. The yard is half an acre--big enough to piddle in but not so big that maintaining it is a huge chore or couldn't be outsourced to a lawn service (and we have the funds to afford that). It's a five-minute drive to grocery stores, drug store and our GP. But in our hubris we never imagined that a little over a year after our move here DH would be diagnosed totally out of the blue with cancer. He's doing well now, but (not forgetting the lesson in hubris) in all likelihood I'll outlive him, and for much longer than either of us had imagined. I'd like to stay here, and have a niggling idea DS19 will want to settle in this area. Or since he's on the spectrum maybe he'll continue to live with me/us after he finishes college. Who knows? Or maybe I'll end up moving into a townhouse, condo or apartment near wherever DS22 settles. But the thought of having walls attached to someone else's walls makes me feel positively claustrophobic. So IDK. Despite all the (mostly all wrong) generalizations about Baby Boomers in the other thread, I'm not selfish or set in my ways. I have a minimum of stuff already (always have).  So logistically moving wouldn't be difficult. DH and I, or just me, however it turns out, will do what we've always done--what seems best for all of us-- to the extent there is one best (often there's not).

• Like 1

Unfortunately I am not in my forever home. It wasn't a consideration for us when we moved last time and I wished we had thought about it. My house has too many steps and is not a good home for old people. We're moving in 8 years and will move into our forever home which will be a ranch with hopefully a full daylight basement turned into an in-law suite. I want my ds to have his own space in our home. We don't know how long he'll be living with us but the way he's going, I don't think he'll ever move out on his own. He has Aspergers and doesn't see things the way others do.

I hope not, but I suppose I could have a change of heart.

I am in my "I have 3 small children, need to get out of the 2bd apartment" starter home. 13 years ago.  Just before real estate died.  We're packed like sardines now.

I can't really afford to get out of this house for another 2 years or so. It's estimated to be valued at about $50k less than we paid and still needs some regular maintenance as well as damage and major wear repairs.  I could really use it coming up in value at least $10k. Also, I could use interested buyers, lol.

In 2 years, my kids will be 22, 18, 17, 13, and going on 10.  That's a weird time to consider moving.  How long will how many kids be around?  The three oldest have goals that make it likely that they'll be around for a good while, but certainly not forever. Will a house that comfortably fits everyone then seem like a waste later, or will it be perfect for entertaining, out of state guests, and having grandchildren running around?

Also, buying the kind of property I want around here is all about timing. I've been stalking real estate for ages, and there may be 2 good properties (by my standards) that get put on the market each year. (There's an overabundance of available properties that I don't want.)

Lots of difficult decisions to make. There's a chance I could decide to avoid them and stay here by default, lol.

Though my husband would be content for this to be our “forever” home, and we did just do an entire remodel which certainly makes me like it a lot better (well, love it actually), I really hope I’m not in my forever state (although I’ve lived in Louisiana my entire life), much less my forever home. I just REALLY want to live somewhere with a more pleasant climate at some point in my life.

I highly doubt that will be the case, but we have talked about buying a condo on the beach, or possibly a place in the mountains at some point. I guess I’d be happy to keep this place if we had another one to enjoy as well.

We do have a great setup here with our property, shop, barn, and nice little guest house; I’d just like it all to be in the mountains somewhere (with Disneyworld and the beach within a short day’s drive). ? 

My dh and I differ on the joys of moving. I like to move; he likes to stay put. We moved two years ago and it was hard on him-even though we moved to a nicer town, closer to his work, with better schools. Our kids were 19,17, 16, 14, and 12 when we moved. They had varying degrees of happiness about the move. Things have worked out well; everyone is pretty happy about things now- but it was a huge challenge to convince everyone that it was time to move (and downsize significantly).

I don't really like the idea of a forever home-I feel slightly trapped if I have to think about staying in one place for the next twenty or more years. Also, I am pretty sure that our kids will be spread out geographically (already are with college choices), and we plan to be the ones to travel to see them.

I plan to downsize more and more- I want to be mobile and travel while I am able. Dh will come along for the ride- easier than realizing the kids won't be able to come home for Christmas in a few years.

I think we are probably in our "forever" home, maybe with a few minor additions.  Dh is turning 62 this year and has been in the house for 20 years.  I moved in 14 years ago when we got married.

The house is small with not enough storage but we have a few things happening that will help with that.   We have just enough space for the people who live here now and if anything, the kids will probably move out eventually.  We have a gorgeous, quiet, peaceful piece of property that we wouldn't be able to duplicated without spending a LOT more money anywhere near here.   We are unlikely to move out of state unless we had to for a job (and dh is pretty much past that point), both of our families are mostly local.  We are close to jobs if I needed to go back to work.  Very close, like a 15 minute commute.

The house is all one level, only one step to get up to the deck to go inside.  It would be easy to add a ramp if needed, easy to widen the few doorways if needed, easy to add other safety equipment.   The only thing we might need to change is the gravel driveway and walkway for something paved.   Our parents, some of whom are in their 80s and some of whom have mobility problems (using a cane or walker, no wheelchairs yet) are able to come visit without issue.

Financially, moving wouldn't be that easy so even if the house isn't perfect, since it's workable, we're likely to stay.

And if TSHTF/TEOTWAWKI, we're in good shape here - a source of water, a fireplace for heat and cooking, and rural enough there's a ton of deer and squirrels to hunt.  ?

My mom bought her home in 1976 and plans on remaining there forever. Her brother lives in the family home (non-farming family) that was built in the 1920s and plans on remaining there forever. MY in-laws purchased their home in the late 1970s as well and will remain there forever. My SIL and BIL bought property in CO with a beautiful view about 20 years ago and plan on living on it for the rest of their lives. They all say I have an unsettled soul since I am constantly looking at new places (locales and houses) to move to. This means that, no, our current house is not our forever home. Neither one of us wants to retire in this community. We don't like the city, the county, or the state. We adore doing outdoor activities and currently live in an area where doing most of those activities requires hours of travel. There are no quick day trip options. The house is also a two story and, with the real possibility of  progressive health issues, a ranch style home will be needed in the future. I would also prefer an attached garage for when I'm older. Schlepping stuff through the rain and snow isn't much fun now; I can only imagine how much less fun it will be when we older or when my health declines.

I have found my ideal place to live (not the house but the city). Unfortunately, neither my job nor DH's job allows for a move to that area. 

In a different life, I could see my dh and I settling into a forever home -- a big old house with a giant front porch somewhere on some sprawling land, where our entire family and future family (kids and grandkids and great grandkids) could gather for every holiday...  ?  That whole concept sounds fun and very fulfilling.

But, we seem to be on a very different path, one that has had us traveling and living in other states and countries anywhere from one month to three years.  And, I guess now it's just in my blood, because now I really don't envision myself settling into a forever type home, ever.  I really enjoy trying out new places.  

Probably when I'm old and tired I'll feel differently.

• Like 2

I love my city and would like to stay here, but we might well follow kids/grandkids elsewhere later in life. 

Our house would be fine for us to retire in, but I don't love it and it needs to be updated/remodeled. 

I moved often growing up and have lived here almost 3x as long as anywhere else. Happy to grow roots!

This is a very poignant thread for me, and it is very helpful, personally, to hear your experiences. I, too, don't know where "home" is. I don't know where we will end up! Right now, I have a granddaughter I feel unbonded to, because we are not close geographically (and for some other reasons) and it is so sad. I understand what J-rap is saying--I would like that big front porch (as long as other big windows let in light somewhere in the home!) and space but not too much space, close to my kids but not too close. I want everyone over and my privacy. LOL  

I love the quote from Kathy Butler  about living the life I have, not the life I think I have a right to--and that includes the home, too. 

I don't know. I'm pondering all of this. 

• Like 4

Interesting question. We have been here 17 years now. It's longer than virtually any other home owners in our corner of the neighborhood. Certainly longer than all but a few of the other white people. I have mixed feelings about it. I used to think we'd stay here forever. But now I'm less sure. There are good things about potentially aging here - access to public transportation, city amenities... but there are some very big downsides too... like stairs eventually. And the cost of maintaining a really old home.

I just don't really know what we'll do. I think we're definitely here until the kids are in college. And then maybe a few years after that, we'll re-evaluate. I think that's probably likely, honestly.

Dh keeps saying if Amazon picks DC, we'll cash out and run for it. One of the sites would be walking distance. Heh.

• Like 1

We detest moving, DETEST.  So ten years ago when we built our home we considered it our forever home.  We said the next time we moved it would be into the ground ?  I never called it my 'dream' home as I'm just not a material person and a house to me isn't a 'dream' but it is a home.  Well, things do change.  DC1 moved out and on.  DC2 is in college which left DC3.  DC3 had dreams that really changed things and without going into a lot of detail between that and DC1 and DC2 moving out we just don't see a need for our large home, lot and all that goes with it.  We realize now that our 30/40-year-old selves certainly could not plan for our 50/60-year-old lives.

Edited by ZiMom

1 minute ago, ZiMom said:

We detest moving, DETEST.  So ten years ago when we built our home we considered it our forever home.  We said the next time we moved it would be into the ground ?  I never called it my 'dream' home as I'm just not a material person and a house to me isn't a 'dream' but it is a home.  Well, things do change.  DC1 moved out and on.  DC2 is in college which left DC3.  DC3 had dreams that really changed things and without going into a lot of detail between that and DC1 and DC2 moving out we just don't see a need for our large home, lot and all that goes with it.  We realize now that our 330/40-year-old selves certainly could not plan for our 550/60-year-old lives.

It's funny to me that a home can be great for the beginning of a marriage (like, a 2 bedroom or small starter home) AND great for the latter years. It's the middle part that screws up everything! hahhaha

• Like 2

I love my house, but more importantly, the land that it is on, so I hope to never leave. Our kids are tentatively planning to stay around here and work in the family business, so we might end up giving our big house to one of the kids and building a smaller house on our land. We live on 50 acres (and might have more if our neighbors end up selling), so plenty of room for a family compound of sorts. 

It's hard to predict what will happen, but dh and I are only in our late 40s/early 50s and will hopefully have many more years before we start having trouble with stairs, etc.

• Like 1

We live in a pretty small house.  We bought it as an 'intermediate home' in 1990 or 91.  3-5 years tops until we would buy a place that was actually big enough for us.  Um, right.

It's not a terrible age in place home--one story, mostly wideish doorways--except for the bathrooms, which I don't think can be made better.  So I don't know.  We have big hobbies--weaving in my case and woodworking in DH's--and so it's hard to imagine being comfortable here in retirement when we finally have time for them.  There is a fairly deep city lot, and I have lots of fruit trees here which is nice.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

We are hoping to sell our house in the country and move to town in the next year.  I hope it will be a forever home.  If we build, we will build to age in place as long as possible.  My parents are 73 and 80 so I hope they live a long time yet and we won't move as long as they are alive. I would like to be closer to dh's work.....but I doubt that would ever happen.

If we build I want a low maintenance, low utilities home.  We are really waffling about the size.  Do we go 1900 sf?  Or 1400 SF? Hard to know what is best long term.

We move too much to consider anyplace our forever home but we do own a house that we will probably age into. It's the second house we bought and it's, strangely, perfect for aged people--all on one level save a FROG, plenty of wide open spaces and accessibility potential. There's a retired couple renting it now for, I suspect, similar reasons. I know we still have at least three more moves before DH seriously contemplates retirement and even then he intends to find a second career so returning to this house is at least 15 years off.

I will say that aging has changed the things I'm looking for in our next home though, the one we'll purchase this fall. These days I'd prefer a smaller yard (or yard with pool for the kids and their friends), an in-law suite for my aging parents when they visit and/or move-in, and plenty of sectioned off spaces where everyone can find solitude. Stairs are fine and the elementary/secondary schools must be top notch for resale reasons.

Ten years from now, what I want/prefer will probably look a lot like our second home.

3 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

We move too much to consider anyplace our forever home but we do own a house that we will probably age into. It's the second house we bought and it's, strangely, perfect for aged people--all on one level save a FROG, plenty of wide open spaces and accessibility potential. There's a retired couple renting it now for, I suspect, similar reasons. I know we still have at least three more moves before DH seriously contemplates retirement and even then he intends to find a second career so returning to this house is at least 15 years off.

I will say that aging has changed the things I'm looking for in our next home though, the one we'll purchase this fall. These days I'd prefer a smaller yard (or yard with pool for the kids and their friends), an in-law suite for my aging parents when they visit and/or move-in, and plenty of sectioned off spaces where everyone can find solitude. Stairs are fine and the elementary/secondary schools must be top notch for resale reasons.

Ten years from now, what I want/prefer will probably look a lot like our second home.

What is a FROG?

We have a pool now and I want one if we build next to my parents.  The plan dh drew up for us shows the pool tucked behind the house and to side of garage...Very close to the back door.....very little grass to mow.