Menu

What time do you eat dinner?

Spryte

Anywhere between 5-7, but most nights between 6-6:30.

It all depends on husband's and daughter's work.  He works from home remotely in a state that does Daylight Saving Time on Eastern Standard Time for a company in another state that doesn't do Daylight Saving Time where most people go into the office on Mountain Standard Time. When he needs to directly interact with another employee, it's on their time, not ours.

Daughter works at a local grocery store and management these days doesn't respect employees enough to give them a regular schedule.

• Like 1

For years, it was around 6:00. However, this past year I have been bumping it up to 5:15-5:30 most nights because of various family members' evening activities. Dh usually gets home about 5:15, and activities start anywhere from 6-7. My kids at home are not "kids" anymore, but we still like to eat together when we can manage it. So that little slice of time works well. I kind of like it earlier, now that I have gotten use to it. Then my chores for the night are done.

• Like 4

We’ve been eating between 6:30-7 but I’m trying to back it up to 5:30-6.  I want to be able to go outside after dinner and get some work done, whether it’s yard work or in the wood shop.   Summer heat bothers me so I can only be outside before 11 and after about 7, so I want to eat earlier. 

• Like 2

Dinner every night is at 6 pm.  (Except on Sunday -- we eat when we get home from church.)

Growing up, we at dinner at 4:15 every night.  So early!  My dad got home from work at 4 pm, took a shower, and was ready to eat.  

There was a Seinfeld episode in which Jerry is outraged because his parents try to take him to dinner at 4:30 to catch the early bird special.  "4:30?! Who eats dinner at 4:30?!"  My sister and I laughed so, so hard.

• Like 3

Between 5-7 depending on kids activities and work. I usually don't have to work afternoons, but if I do I finish at 5. Husband can finish at 5 but often later, up till 7. Kids eat super quickly and leave the table as soon as they can; it's not a long, lingering kind of meal, and often I don't get to sit down at all, I'm so busy sorting everything for everyone. 

• Like 1

Right around 6 pm on weekdays, 8pm on weekends (ds does food deliveries Fri, Sat & Sun evenings). We are very consistent. When ds was little, we didn't participate in activities that interfered with dinner time. It was somewhat limiting, but totally worth it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kassia said:

same

My adult kids think this is early, though.  

I think it is early in non-little-kid-oriented families, even though I don’t really have *little kids.  But my butt is in my bed by 9pm the majority of the time, so that’s what it is! It’s just enough time to eat, straighten up, relax, and maybe even watch a movie as a family (we’re working through the chronological Marvel universe re-watch) before taking a preventative Tums and passing out. 🙂 

• Like 2

Dinner is ready around 6.   We don't always eat together due to varying schedules with the older boys, but usually DH, 4 year old, Dad, and I eat together, although now dad is eating in his room as he can't get up the stairs.

• Like 1