Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

whitestavern

Members
  • Content Count

    3,681
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1,782 Excellent

About whitestavern

  • Rank
    Hive Mind Queen Bee

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling

Contact Methods

  • Location
    New England

Recent Profile Visitors

517 profile views
  1. Thanks Mom2mthj, I reached out to Stacey. We're trying to increase my son's ACT math section score before the Oct ACT date.
  2. So he's going for engineering or CS, yes? I would probably just confirm with the 4 year uni that all classes will transfer and he will be on track to graduate on time. I'd want to make sure the $$ saved at cc wouldn't be spent on a 5th year at the university.
  3. Yes, absolutely, 100%. Our max would be the amount of subsidized/unsubsidized loans that we would qualify for. DD has not had to borrow anything yet, but we are open to the option.
  4. That was our experience as well. Hours going through those phone book scholarship books and they were almost all need-based. And there just aren't a lot of schools out there that will even let you stack outside scholarships. Our best merit came from the schools themselves, and my dd did very well with scholarships, even without top stats. It takes a bit of work to put together a list. She didn't apply to any automatic scholarship schools, but between running the NPCs and input from folks on College Confidential we were pretty confident which schools were going to end up being affordable. Honestly we were pleasantly surprised by how much merit aid she received. DS has lower stats, so we are assuming there will be little merit but hoping for some FA since there will be two in school next year. He has some lower priced schools on his list, but we are assuming we'll have to pay more for his college experience. If he has a successful first year, we will consider taking out loans for him. He's going into a major that should pay very well once he's out.
  5. Does anyone have any information/knowledge of the civil engineering program? We didn't realize there was a non-military option, so we hadn't looked at it. Our son, a senior, may be interested.
  6. Thanks, guys. The hive is a voice of reason! I will trust in her decision 🙂
  7. Oh geez, it's me again, lol. I had this strong feeling today that d should give serious consideration to Wheaton, which is another school that she applied to transfer to. We had a horrid visit a few years ago (literally our worst college tour ever), so she never applied as a freshman, but today I was overcome with this feeling to research it. I did, and honestly it looks really great! It's definitely smaller than she wanted, but otherwise it has a lot going for it. I think what could hold her back is that horrible tour we had. The tour guide was the biggest airhead ever and just kept talking in this sing song voice about how she looooved Wheaton because it was "just like her high school!" She was like an extra in the Valley Girl movie (dating myself?) It's kind of become an ongoing joke, it was that bad. So, do I talk to d about this? I would not try to convince her to go, only ask her to do a little research. Does anyone have here have any input on the school? It's the Wheaton that's in MA not IL. ETA, she was accepted with a large scholarship
  8. Well a decision has been made! At the end it was between UPitt and Susquehanna. She feels that Pitt is too big, too far, and too urban (lacking in green space.) They only accepted 23 of her 32 credits, while Susquehanna accepted all of them, and her major at Susquehanna is a better match. I hope and pray she likes it, that there's enough for her to do on/around campus, that she makes some good friends, and that the quality of the academics and professors are high. There's no way she's going to want to go through all of this again! This last month and a half has been so crummy, I think for her, summer vacation begins today.
  9. Visited SLU yesterday, and dd has removed it from consideration. It seemed very small - likely exacerbated by the fact that there were no students on campus. Another turnoff was that she'd be considered a "First Year" and would be required to do the first year seminar (which she did freshman year at University of Rochester). The location and perceived strength of the program were pluses, but she just couldn't see herself there. We're revisiting Susquehanna on Friday. I questioned whether she felt the need to do that due to its small size, but she does want to. It's the lowest priced option by far, and they would take all her credits from Rochester, so she wants to give it a fair evaluation.
  10. @JanetC thanks for checking in! She's narrowed it down to UPitt, Susquehanna, and St. Lawrence, though she hasn't received official acceptance from SLU. She was accepted last year and they said merit would be comparable, so we believe it will be an option. She's not super excited about any of them 😞 She liked Pitt but it's huge, and she's on a waiting list for housing. At this late date, we literally don't have time to go down and try to find an apartment, plus it's an unfamiliar city. I think she should live on campus so she is in the thick of it and it will be easier to find friends. But we did put down a deposit there to hold a place. Also, Pitt's comparable classes are only 3 credits vs Roch's 4, so she will lose 9 credits. Susquehanna will accept all of them, which put them back on her list. Not sure about SLU yet. She's a little concerned about the rich, privileged students/party rep, but she was very involved in the Outing Club at Roch, so I think getting involved with that would give her an like-minded friend group. Pitt has an outdoor club, but it's not really the same type of setting as SLU. I'm not sure how she'll make a decision or if she even will - she may just decide to apply elsewhere for spring admission.
  11. Thought I'd pop back in here to update. Rochester came back with an additional $10K, but in the same breath told us we would not be getting it next year, so she is officially transferring. She has been accepted to two schools so far, one with $29,000 in merit and one with $17,000 in merit that make them both affordable, but they're not her top choice. So we wait and see. Oh, and one of her close friends just got her package this week and they cut her aid in half.
  12. Exactly, I went back to work part time (had been working from home but not making enough) and that was part of their reasoning as to why our award went down.
  13. Half of the frustration is that they let us know so late in the game, really limiting her choices of colleges to transfer to. I believe dd has friends who still have yet to hear on FA. Roch emailed yesterday, giving her another $10K, but in the same breath said it would likely go down again next year. That's helpful (sarcasm). We did wonder if she could live off campus in order to save some money, but I'm assuming that will decrease the aid, right? I don't think there's any way to make it work. She has five applications in. Two of the schools on the list she applied to last year, received excellent merit, and they've indicated they will provide the same this year, though she still needs to go through the application and acceptance process. One is affordable without any merit. So she has three solid choices and two maybes if given some merit. Of course her first choice is one of the needs merit schools.
  14. Thanks Sebastian, unfortunately none of them really describe our situation. We basically had very very little income for ten years prior to college. I haven't worked since the kids were born, and because I don't have a bchelor's degree, I've been unable to find anything paying near what I was being paid prior to leaving the workforce, when degrees didn't matter. I had worked my way up the ladder and had a great job. My husband opened his own business and we took out a home equity line of credit to cover some of his "salary" in the beginning. What can I say, we were young and stupid. Great years, every one, where I was homeschooling and he was home. But not so great when it's time to pay for college. As I said earlier, we're in payback mode, finally paid off some debt, getting money into retirement, paying off the home equity loan (we have almost no equity in our house because it's worth less now than when we purchased it.) We also have a son in parochial school, which also greatly reduced their FA, so our output is crazy high, even though dh's salary is good now. But we can't in good conscience pay almost full fare for Roch.
  15. She could wait - there are three other schools she might've added - but I feel like it would be better to start with everyone else. We'll see how she feels when her acceptances come back.
×
×
  • Create New...