Menu

How long has your relationship with your best friend (girl) lasted?

sheryl

DD's best (girl) friend is moving away.   Her friend moved here 3 years ago and now they are moving again.  DD and "K" have known each other for 2-3 years but have become very close in the past year.  They are moving 6+ hours away.   K's mom just called me to mention that we need to make sure the girls still see each other and get together.  That might be meeting halfway, a plane flight, etc.  Ironically, K just started dating a really nice guy from our church.  Certainly they'll miss each other as well.

Anyway, I know DD and K have only been "strong" best friends for about a year but what's the likelihood this could continue?

I have a friend who has another friend she's known for 50 years!!!  My friend told me this 2 weeks ago at a birthday party.  WOW!

So, how old is your oldest friendship?  Do you live close by?  Far away?  Keep in touch?  How?

Edited by sheryl

47 years. We grew up together in another country. She was going to college across this country but halfway through came out here to be near me. We only see each other every 3 months but have deep conversations that just pick up where we left off when we see each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

29 years.  We met when I moved here when I was 31.  

I am still good friends with my 7th - 12 grade locker partner, but other than her, I don't go back much farther than my 29 year friend.  

41 years.

Good God that is a long time.

We live 3 hours apart currently. That is the furthest we have lived apart and that has been for 5 years. Most of our lives we lived in the same town or 1 1/2 hours apart.

Months go by and we just re connect like yesterday.

• Like 1

I have one friend I've known since preschool, and I'm 41 now :)

Several friends from elementary school...we don't get together much anymore in person but are chatty on social media and do see each other when we can. Definitely still consider each other friends and would be there for each other in a pinch. 

• Like 1

With facebook, I am casually connected to people I went to high school with.  My best girl friend is from college and we have now been friends for 27 years,  She now lives 6 hours from me but we are still in touch.  I am still deeply connected to several people that I went to college with and we are spread all over the country now. 

• Like 1

38 years and going strong. There are five of us who bonded in 6th and 7th grades and have been close friends ever since. Two live in neighboring states, and three of us are still local. We've been through an awful lot together. Ă¢Â¤Ă¯Â¸ Our twice yearly girls' weekends are blocked out months in advance, and by now even our workplaces know they're special and we won't be available. :D

• Like 1

30 years this September. I met her in gym class on the 2nd day of school when I was 14 and started cracking jokes about how horrible gym was.

I can be away from her for a year and pick up as if no time has elapsed. Right now we live an hour apart and see each other every 3 or 4 months for lunch.

• Like 1

There are three women I've known for 45 years. The four of us were inseparable at one time. We all live within driving distance of each other but don't get together as often as we'd like. A few times we've gone away for a weekend together. I'm thankful for facebook so we can keep in touch. 

I lost touch with my childhood best friend from New Jersey long ago. I've tried to find her online but can't. 

My current three close girlfriends now are all from my old homeschool group. I've known one for 13 years, one for about 10 and the other 7 or 8. Though the relationships with each of them is different from the ones I've known for 45 years, these are the women I'd turn to if I needed a shoulder or help of any kind. They're also the first ones I turn to when I have good news or something exciting to tell someone.

It's not always necessary to stay in contact with old friends. Friendships evolve and even if your dd's friend didn't move away there's no guarantee they'd stay good friends as they get older. It's good to keep old friends and nurture the friendships when you can, but sometimes it's okay to let go. I know that's not the advice she wants right now, so it's okay for her to be sad.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I have many very close friends from my growing up days.  Many over 35 years.  

But you asked about the longest.....I have a friend I still talk to almost weekly.  We are both 51 years old and we met when we were about 6 months old.  Our mothers were college classmates and friends from the time they were 19 or 20.  

Then we were both born within a few months of each other and grew up together.  

I just texted her today in fact.

And I just got together with 3 friends today who I have been close to since high school.  One of their kids was graduating and we all showed up!  We had a grand time.

Mind you, we grew  up overseas, NOT even remotely close to where we met today and had a great time.

Those three at the graduation I have known roughly 35 years each.  We keep in touch.  Often.  

• Like 1

34 years this September.  We met first day of 8th grade.  I had just moved to that state.  My other bff is going on 33 years.  I moved out of the area in 97 and have moved around with the AF since 2003.  We still see each other. 

My son has be AF since he was 1.  We are moving again in a few weeks.  He just completed 9th grade.  Once best friend he has known since 2nd grade (but his dad and I have been close high school).  Other best friend he has known since 5th grade and from a different state.  He is still close with these friends and talks to them almost weekly.  (Depends on school/business).  They text and Facetime.  They play Magic and other games online and just talk.  Now I've heard some of the conversations. I'm not hearing deep soul searching secrets and conversations like I remember as a 14/15 girl, but I don't think boys tend to converse like that as much, especially not yet.  

Will these friendships make it through college?  I don't know.  But I feel they should survive hs at least. 

Also we have traveled to see them and them to us, but it helps that I am good friends with both moms, so part of that is my vacation as well.  But most likely next summer he will be traveling alone to see at least one of them.  The second I get to come with no matter what as I have too many friends in that area to turn down that trip. 

• Like 1

About 18-20 years and NOT from high school or from where I was born and raised. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“

best friend meaning we will be friends for life but don't live near each other (2 time zones away) and maybe only get to see each other 1x every year. No frequent chatting or texting but best heart friends who understand support and deeply love each other.

I have no contact with friends from childhood outside of Facebook...still value and appreciate that season of life but again so much life has happened since then. We wouldn't fit each other most likely anyway- as soon asI moved away to school the relationships ended.

• Like 1

Not about girl friends... But my 83 year old dad's two best friends are from his childhood. So, their friendships have lasted 80 years.

And I think once a month he has lunch with some of his high school classmates.

My own longest friendship goes back to age 18, so 30 years. We aren't close any more, and only touch base every year or two, but when we talk, it's like no time has passed.

• Like 1

57 years! We were neighbors, went to kindergarten together and are still very good friends.

Another friend we met in 1st grade, so we 3 have known each other for 56 years.

Btw, my DH and I met in the same kindergarten class that my fiend and I went to.

• Like 1

I've known my oldest friend for 31 years. We met in first grade and have been friends ever since. Sometimes the best of friends, sometimes more distant. We now live 6 hours apart.

We snap chat and text every day. We talk every few weeks.

• Like 1

57 years! We were neighbors, went to kindergarten together and are still very good friends.

Another friend we met in 1st grade, so we 3 have known each other for 56 years.

Btw, my DH and I met in the same kindergarten class that my fiend and I went to.

What a life changing kindergarten class!

• Like 2

My bestie and I met in year 9 at school. We both went to different schools for years 10+. We're both in our 30s now. We live 90mins apart. We see each other weekly, we orchestrated parts of our lives to facilitate that!

• Like 1

18 years? We were roommates in our early 20s and met through a bible study. My family is going to visit hers next weekend and will be staying with them. We see each other a few times a year. She lives only 3 hours away but we both cancel trips often due to sickeness in our families. Lol. We were supposed to go over a week ago but they throwing up. We yry to get together this time of year because our birthdays are a week apart in May and this is our gift to each othed. Can't wait to see her!! It's wonderful having a friend who loves you as much as you do them. Such a gift.

• Like 1

My oldest friend was my best friend from elementary school. We met in first grade and were insperable through 4th grade. Then the summer before 5th my family moved out of state. She would come stay with us every summer after that and visited off and on into college. It is now 34 years later from the time we met and we still keep on contact. She feels like family even though we live in different states. I have other best friends from childhood I still talk to on a regular basis but she is the oldest.

• Like 1

I met my friend in 3rd grade. I am now living overseas and we see each other only once a year, but we are still friends, 40 years later.

I met my other long time friend when our kids were babies, 20 years ago. We still write long paper letters regularly and see each other once a year.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

22 years. She goes to my church. We met at church back before I was married. I was in med school and she and her new husband had just moved to the area. Dh was also at the same very small church but was just a friend. We are all still there...22 years and 10 kids later (7 for them, 3 for us). We see each other very regularly. 

I don't really keep in touch with any childhood friends. My closest friend from high school and I did keep in touch for awhile, about 12 years or so. Her daughter was a flower girl in my wedding. We still do Christmas cards but otherwise aren't in regular contact. 

• Like 1

I have two women that I've been friends with since elementary school, so 30+ years.  I wouldn't call them my best friends though. We used to be, but our lives just drifted apart.  

I don't really have a best friend.  At times i wish I did.  There isn't really anyone that I can just pick up the phone and vent to or chat with.  

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 1

I have known her since the day my parents brought newborn me home from the hospital. Our moms were (and still are) best friends. A few months ago, it was my mom's 80th birthday and the four of us went out to lunch. 

My friend and I have not lived in the same state since we graduated from high school. Until about six months ago! Now we about an hour away from each other, and it is awesome. Through the decades, we worked at staying connected. 

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

My son has had a best friend his entire life, so 14 years, even though we moved away when he was 5. We first moved to a different country and then to another state 14 hours away, but we manage to get them together at least once a year. I'm constantly amazed that it's like no time has passed between visits. We are hopeful their friendship will always endure--how cool to be close to someone literally your entire life.

The mom of BFF is one of my closest friends, and longest at 14 years.

• Like 1

I have one casual friend I have known for 43 years. As to closer friends, the longest is likely 31 years.

My 2 closest friends I have known 40 years for one (but we didn't become close friends until 3 years ago) and 12 years for another.

• Like 1

My BFF and I grew up next door to each other. Her family moved in when I was 5 and she was 4. There were times growing up my mom babysat her, so she would be at my house before or after school. Sometimes we didn't like each other (I was a year ahead of her and the years when I went to a different school than her weren't good for us). Honestly, we always felt like sisters. Now as adults, we are truly best friends. But really, she feels more like family. We don't have a ton in common and I doubt we would gravitate toward one another as friends now. But we have history...a lot of history!!!

I had another best friend in middle/high school. Her family moved away in 10th grade and I was devastated. My family took our family vacation that year so I could visit her. They ended up moving back to our town and she and I continued on as friends for a while. In college, we grew apart and I don't talk to her at all today.

You just can't say how friendships will develop and change over the years, ya know?

• Like 1

I have a good friend that I keep in touch with multiple times a week that I have known for 44 yrs. But she is older, more like my parents age. But still, a good friend and not my parents friend or friends from my relatives. Friends my own age, I still keep in touch with people I knew in 7th grade where we were friends. 

• Like 1

My best friend and I met right before we started kindergarten. I moved in Jr high to Houston. When I came back I lived in a different city, and her high school was our rival, lol.

She moved to Iowa for a year of college, then came back. In our early twenties, she married and moved to Arizona. She's been there ever since. My husband and our family moved there in 2004. I literally lived right down the hill from her. It was great!! Then about 18 months later we moved to the South. Been here ever since.

Our parents were very much involved in keeping our friendship afloat. Lots of phone calls, letters, and visits. We actually were part of a bigger group of friends. she is still in contact with almost all of them. I kept in touch with 3 from our Jr high group. Again, the parents helped.

We fly out every other year. Depending on fiances, sometimes I pay for her to fly out and vice versa. She has come out the last three times. Once on vacation with the whole family. We also are involved in each others kids life.

I think it might be easier to keep friendships up with texting, social media, etc.

I'm glad our parents worked to keep the friendship up.

Edited by MooCow
  • Like 1

One close friend was the first baby anyone ever let me really touch. :lol: It's one of my first memories. Our parents were best friends and we go through phases of intense closeness. We had our kids and started home ed together. Moved overseas to different countries at the same time. Friends for 50 years in a few days I guess... her birthday is coming up.

My other bf and I have been friends for close to 25 years. I met her mom first and she decided the two of us needed each other. She was right.

• Like 2

32 years. We met in 6th grade. Our friendship ebbs and flows. We might go weeks or months not really chatting or seeing each other bc life gets busy. Sometimes we talk to each other or see each other every day. We are very different from each other and have very different lives, but it's never really affected our friendship.

Other close friends besides Dh:

14, 12, 11 years

Those friendships tend to be similiar to the 32 yr friendship. Especially as we are all in the hectic time of older kids. We all laugh that we never thought it'd be harder to get together and relax with teens and grown kids than when we all had babies.

• Like 2

I have a handful of really good friends I met in 9th grade - so just over 25 years. I'm still loosely in touch with some friends from earlier, but no one I would ever call a "best" friend, especially now.

It's tricky. Sometimes you stay in touch, sometimes you don't.

• Like 1

We moved when I was 12 to a location that was "long distance" to call.  My best friend and I kept up by snail mail for a while, but at some point just stopped.

In the new town, I didn't really develop the kind of friendship that would withstand a move.  Several good friends ended up moving away.  This was way before facebook and cell phones, so ....

In my 2nd year of law school, I met a friend who is still a best friend.  So that would be 28 years and counting.

My mom had a best friend that she kept from age 13 until friend died, so about 50 years.  They had the benefit of living in the same city until they were in their 30s.

• Like 1

Ahhh, such sweet, touching stories.  Thanks for a glimpse into your past and the special friendship/s you created.    :)

MooCow, I think that's the kicker.  The parents "must" assist to help keep the friendship afloat.  As they approach young adulthood and beyond, they'll have to "work" (in a good way) to keep their friendship if it's important to both of them.

LariaB -  LOVE the phrase "best heart friends".  Love that!

I appreciate all of the replies!  Thanks for sharing! :) 

• Like 1

I have two close friends that I've known since I was born. Our moms were close friends and we played whenever the moms got together. As we grew up, we stayed in touch and are still close. I'm closer to one sister than the other, but that's mostly due to proximity. 

I am still very close with a few friends from high school. We don't live near each other, but can pick up the phone and call and talk like no time has passed. I see them 1-2 times a year. 

My best friend and I have been friends for 9 years. We talk or text daily and see each other once a week or so. 

• Like 1

My two best friends from primary & high school are still friends (no longer "best").  It's hard for me at least to stay "best" when you live far apart and see one another infrequently.  My 2-year roommate from graduate school is probably still my "best", and we see each other regularly, though I have a handful of close friends who live in town whom I see more often.  That would be, uh, going on 30 years.

• Like 1

My longest continuous (meaning contact at least once a month) friendship has lasted 35 years and is still going strong despite living far apart for 27 of those years. Handwritten letters and phone calls have kept the connection strong between visits.

• Like 1

36 years, so far! We met in high school - freshman homeroom to be exact! 

We live about five hours away from each other and see each other about once a year. We text and chat daily. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

Mine 18 years?

Dd11's best friend moved two years ago. They talk, email, text regularly. They've maintained a strong relationship.

Mine has made the 9 hour one way trip twice. She has been here once. We plan to have her over the summer at some point.

I did not know if it could last. But they've surprised both sets of parents.

It can be done.

• Like 1