Menu

Will you guys be my Mom? Or, I passed my flight paramedic boards

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Woo Hoo! 

💙hearing about adults who continue to follow their own passions, especially (!!!!)  after having children. You deserve double congratulations, by completing a very difficult study program, while having kids and a family to care for! 

You rock!!!!! Congratulations!!!🎉

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Katy said:

That’s amazing! Good work!

I’m sure it has nothing to do with you & us 100% a comment on her feeling judged because her kids made different choices. 

It is. My dad worked really hard to support a wife and large family on one income and it was a time when dads didn’t have as much to do with child raising. Unfortunately it resulted in my mom doing all the homemaking/child raising/homeschooling with rare breaks and my dad traveled for work, often leaving on Sunday night and not coming back till Friday.  I grew up not really feeling like I knew my dad.  
DH is very involved in child raising and is home with the kids when I work and I’m home when he works. (Two weeks a month MIL does watch the kids overnight for a Tuesday and a Thursday when our schedules overlap, but that’s also an issue because my mom never had any family support.)

This is really a huge deal to me and it just kind of hurt.  You guys are the best. 🙂

• Like 6

You deserve a very large dose of congratulations!-- passing that test on the first time is an achievement, doing it while working FT+ is another achievement, doing it after mess that Covid has made is also an achievement, doing it while being a wife and mom FT+ is yet another achievement.

Well done - many times over!  🙂

• Like 4

Congratulations! What an important skill set--I grew up rurally, and I've had relatives and friends who needed air transfer to a trauma facility. It's so very important; I'm a little teary thinking about it because it's such a big deal. Everyone I know who lives rurally knows someone (probably several) who has been evacuated this way for a trauma because everyone knows almost everyone. Every time I pass a rural helipad (can be creative locations, such as a "turnaround spot" right next to a forested road!), I am grateful for people who do this. So many lives saved. 

Thank you! Prayers for safety and that you'll enjoy this new adventure! 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! 🎉  
That is such a huge accomplishment!  Both my dds have toyed with the idea, but I think they’re finding it too intimidating right now. Maybe someday.

In the meantime, as someone who lives in an area where this stuff is crucial, THANK YOU!

It’s pretty crucial here too. We’re an hour and a half from a really good hospital and people get flown frequently.

I don’t know that I’ll pursue flying right yet—the newest helicopter base is 2 hours away and those are always super competitive jobs. But I get a $1.50 an hour raise and can take critical care ground transports at my employer now, which is really needed. People on vents; multiple IV meds that paramedics don’t usually carry, chest tubes, surgical airways, intra-aortic balloon pumps and the like.  We get a decent amount of those hospital to higher level of ICU care transfers and only have two other credentialed specialty care medics. So it’s pretty useful now.  I also really wanted the knowledge.

And I like challenges. 🙂

• Like 17

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I passed an incredibly difficult national board exam—flight paramedic. It has anywhere between a 46-55% first time pass rate, and I passed on the first time.

I called my mom all excited and she immediately launched into me about how many hours I’ve been working and moms shouldn’t work that much(it’s been a theme; and I have been working a lot because all of our expenses shot way above what we’d budgeted), and basically I should be at home with my kids(who are usually with DH when I’m working and I’m home when he’s working).  She’s still clinging to the vestiges of 1990s homeschool culture and annoyed, I think, because she gave up her nursing career that she loved to homeschool, and none of her daughters have done the same.

It hurt, because I was riding high.

Would anyone like to be my mom today and be excited for me? 

Congratulations to you! Awesome job, and you are a wonderful mother and role modeling huge awesome sauce to your kids! Rock on, woman!!!

• Like 1