Menu

How do you pronounce milk?

goldenecho

It definitely, 100% rhymes with silk. The "melk" pronunciation absolutely grates on me ears. It's worse than nails on a chalkboard for me. I know it's normal in places, but anytime I heard someone say it "melk" I absolutely correct it mentally. (Note: I'd never do so aloud.)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BandH said:

So, if someone's accent means that they pronounce milk differently, wouldn't they pronounce silk differently too?  It seems like they would still rhyme.  

Not necessarily. Milk is much more of an everyday word, and those tend to be more prone to local variants and shifts. Language is primarily oral, we talk the way others around us talk. But words we don't hear often may not get pronounced with as much of the local color because they might be more familiar from print. In addition, si could trend in a different direction fro mi.

Apparently melk is becoming more common in Canada as part of an overall vowel shift trend, I found several articles calling it "the great Canadian Vowel shift." The original Great Vowel Shift was responsible for quite a lot of the poor mapping of standardized English spellings to modern pronunciation: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift#:~:text=The first phase of the,%2Fiː uː%2F became diphthongs.

Edited by maize
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

Indiana, milk often rhymes with "elk" here.

We also say "ornch juice." 🙂 

Strange. We live in the south and I say milk that rhymes with silk. Dh does too even though his people are from up north. Now, for whatever reason all 4 of my kids say milk that rhymes with elk. No idea why.

I say milk/silk but most of my extended family says milk/elk. It’s a generational divide, I think, in the Plains state community I grew up in.

You can pretty much guarantee that the elk crowd will also say:

”crick” for creek, “warsh” for wash and a few other things 

There are also some distinct phrases that you can sometimes still hear in the hollers of Appalachia that tie back to older  English phrases like “of a morning” that are fairly unique to my home region.

• Like 1

Anyone who dislikes linguistic shifts and feels words should stay the same and be pronounced the "right" way should be pleased to know that "melk" is just a return to "milk"'s roots, throwing off the new-fangled short i pronunciation (such an abhorrent innovation, kids these days...at least the Dutch kept saying it properly 😁)

Screenshot_20230226-053251.png

Edited by maize
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Northern Indiana growing up, I rhyme it with "silk". Mom grew up in southern Indiana and had quite a few Appalachian throw backs, but I suspect she concentrated on getting rid of them. Lord knows I developed a habit of using subjunctive tense from her ("if I *were*"), which I imagine wasn't standard issue in rural southern Indiana. 

Dh (St Louis) also rhymes it with "silk" but his sister is die-hard "melk"

Dh's family is also likely to say "warsh", "farty"(40). I can really hear generational shifts in that family in pronunciations and usage.

Edited by GailV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GailV said:

I can really hear generational shifts

Re generational shifts in accents:

One of my maternal grandparents grew up in Brooklyn the other in the Bronx. Both were children of Italian immigrants. My grandfather said woik (work) and joik (jerk), my grandmother said burl for boil, winder for window. She could not pronounce the oi sound and had a friend named Joyce she called Jerce. If you've ever seen All in the Family they sounded like Archie and Edith. Those are both accents that are pretty much gone from Brooklyn and the Bronx. I don't think you hear them anymore from anyone except the very old.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Great lakes.

Milk rhymes with silk.

BUT, when I was a little kid, a lot of kids called it melk.  Possibly including us.  I don't know why.  Maybe we had some friends or relatives who grew up elsewhere.  Or maybe "ilk" is harder for little kids to say.

Mid-Atlantic; short i prononciation. However, there are regional dialects that include the “melk” pronunciation. My FOO did use many of them but I changed my speech as an adult and dropped the Baltimore/Eastern Shore words. Some of these were: “warsh” for wash; “wooder” for water; and the ubiquitous exchange of a “d” sound for th - “Der” for there, “Dem” for them. I also de-regionalized “against” and “closet”. 

My dh’s family does not easily distinguish the sounds of short e and short i; they don’t seem to have phonemic awareness of the difference. One sibling’s name has a short i sound in it but they all (and now me by extension) pronounce it as if it were an e. So (this is not the name) but if it were Kristen and they all pronounced it like “Kresten”.