Menu

How do you pronounce milk?

goldenecho

Mostly rhymes with silk (California), however I tend to change my pronunciation of words depending on how the person around me pronounces it.

I spent a week at a conference with a man from the UK and on the 3rd day unintentionally greeted him with "Cheery-o!" in the morning. I'm pretty easily swayed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Part of the challenge is that my relatives that say “melk” would swear up and down they say “milk”! 😂

Probably because they are saying what to them is an i...it's just that the sound represented by i has shifted.

And the way our brains work, we hear what we expect/what we are used to. 

My dialect is one in which dawn sounds like don and sail sounds like sell, and I don't usually notice a difference even when people in whose dialect those are quite different sounds say those words. My brain processes what it expects.

I find language endlessly fascinating. It kind of makes me sad when regional dialects get absorbed into more mainstream/prestige dialects. I wish I had recordings of the way my grandma spoke, she used grammatical variants that I didn't think much of as a child but now would love to record and maybe be able to trace where they came from. Thinks like "I seen" that I know are standard in some dialects. What is interesting to me is that that isn't common grammar where she was born but I think comes from deeper family roots. My guess is that it came from her dad's family and they brought it with them when they moved across the country.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Have you ever watched regional news broadcasts from the 1970s? It’s fascinating to hear how different pronunciation varied by region. We have moved a long way toward standardization of accents since then. I agree, it’s a bit of a loss.

They learn to modulate their voices when they are in school. 

15 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Okay, that’s probably accurate for me as well.  Maybe it’s dependent on context…

Quick! Grab the milk!

vs

Ugh… we’re out of meee-ulk. 

My kids:

“Mamee I want mee-ulk” 

”Do we still have milch”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1