Menu

How much have you been out?

mommyoffive

Me-  I haven't been out at all since the 13th.  I have only been on walks in the neighborhood.  Staying far away from people. 

Dh - works from home 100% now.  He does go out for essential things.

Kids- Haven't been anywhere since the 13th.  Only playing outside with their siblings.  They ride their bikes and such around the neighborhood, but cross the street when they see someone. 

I live in a country where most people aren’t able to both survive and social distance.  I’m honestly not sure how much difference it makes if I stay away from people, but 80% of the country doesn’t. I have drastically reduced my in-person social contacts and don’t ever go out just for fun, but there are things I need to do for friends of mine who are unemployed because of coronavirus. So I’m out almost every day, but I do my best to stay away from people.

More than I though I would, really.

I'm trying for "only essentials, plus compassion" -- but I've been out a surprising amount.

I've had friends who need rides (for essentials); groceries for ourselves and others -- which is more that just 'ourselves' would have been; and one semi-essential hardware store trip where I got what I needed plus some paint samples for a pregnant friend (can you imagine expecting your first baby right now???). I've also done porch visits with friends and family if I was out and near them, and one "on the phone through the front window visit" with a friend who couldn't open the door, but I was glad to see anyways.

So, it seems there's a good reason to go out every 3 or 4 days... which I'm trying to limit even further.

I'm grocery shopping once a week. I walk a bit in our neighborhood most days and I see others out also, but not too close. So far I usually have another trip out during the week, like to pick up donated fabric to make masks and now I need to turn in my finished masks.

• Like 1

Since the governor's "shelter in place" edict went into effect, I've:

• Gone for walks at mostly empty parks or around the block.
  • Dropped off school papers at my kids' school (they collect them each Monday - there are safe protocols used).
  • Picked up dinner to-go once.
  • Sent my kids into the grocery store once.

We've received a number of deliveries, and at least one of the adults in the house has gone "to work" at least a few times.

I'm still hoping to give blood at some point.

I started hunkering on the 11th; dh has been working from home since the 13th.

Since then I've been out to the grocery store once (mask & gloves), on which trip I also went to Home Depot to get a seed starter kit.

Dh has since become our grocery shopper since he has access to senior hours, and he's been twice (mask & gloves).  He's also assistant treasurer at church and he's gone weekly to pick up and process mail - but the building is empty when he goes - and drop it off at the drive-in at the bank.

We've been out twice to see our kids who are in apartments in their college town (same one), and did a walk outside with distancing.  I went to my parents' and brought over some groceries and sat about 15' apart in the back yard for a while.  I took a run around her neighborhood, and I've taken a walk around mine.  People give space.

That's it.  We shouldn't have to go grocery shopping at all for the next week, maybe more.  I am going to go pick up bread at a local bakery that will do no-contact (pay ahead, they bring to car).  

My parents and kids seem to be successfully hunkering.  We ask if they need anything when dh goes shopping, and deliver.  The two older kids I think may have had to shop themselves, the 19yo hasn't been out at all.  She wants to come home.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Sad 1

Dh still goes to work 5 days a week, but thankfully there are only 5 to 8 people in his office when he's there so they have tons of room to socially distance. I've gone out to the grocery store and one home depot(needed mouse traps.) Other than that we've gone on 2 hikes in state parks and haven't encountered other people in the areas we've chosen. 

Pretty frequently, surprisingly. I've been to the grocery store or Walmart several times. Lowes 1-2x. The post office 3x. Drive thru at the bank, water bill payment, takeout. 

Walking at a local trail. DD had her wisdom teeth out last Monday. 

All of that seems like a lot...but none of it was gratuitous (except maybe takeout). We went straight out, minimal contact, straight home. 

Edited by alisoncooks

Errand trips 1x/week. For the last two weeks that's meant groceries and the post office.  My kids went with DH for a driving lesson last weekend but stayed in the car.  DH has to go to work everyday. He cannot work from home. I guess the kids went for a run about a week ago and DS walked the dog. Now they just play in the backyard. That's it.

Edited by Sneezyone

I’ve had to go to the office a few times, but my boss is the only other person there. DH is working entirely from home.

Grocery store once a week or so to top off perishables. When my area gets worse, I won’t keep it up. Tomorrow I need to go to Target to pick up a prescription, unless they can send it. Oh, I did make a much needed beer run to a corner market once, but I bought milk too so it’s okay? đŸ˜‰Â 

DH and I went to a hardware store a couple weeks ago for plumbing essentials, and then back again the following week to return them. Our toilets may never get fixed at this rate.

DS offered to go the grocery for me once, and today he had to pick up a new book for English at school. The doors were open and the books were available in the foyer. Nothing but the book needed to get touched (he wore gloves anyway). 

Walks and runs in the neighbourhood everyday. Skipping the parks now because there are too many people. 

I picked up a Walmart grocery order and filled the gas tank on the 20th, and went to check on my parents on the 21st and the 25th. Swapped beans with my mother. I have about 6 gallons of green beans left in my freezer from last year, and she had some bags of dry beans, Other than that, and a couple of walks in the neighborhood, dd and I have stayed at home. 

eta: dh is in IT, so he has been working form home for the past week and a half.

Edited by I talk to the trees

I go to the grocery store or pharmacy once a week, with a mask. I was trying to stretch it to two weeks, but realized if any of us get sick I don't want the fridge almost empty, so once a week it is for now.  We've also had a grocery store closed for cleaning after an associate tested positive, and the strike of Whole Foods workers today, which makes me want to keep our supplies stocked.

Dd17 runs on the street with more than 6 feet distance with one friend, and dd14 bikes with another friend. It's quite possible we'll limit that further soon. I think we'll continue walks and hikes as a family, but only in places with wide trails and no crowding. 

All work and school happening at home. 

Edited by Acadie

I got Walmart pick up orders on the 14th, 20th, and 30th, never leaving the car. I got a Shoprite pick up sometime in there, where I had to get out and get my cart from inside. I took the kids hiking somewhere around the 14th.

The girls and dh went on a fire department call for an MVA yesterday. Dh has made 2 or 3 trips to the firehouse to take care of business. He was also going to his private office to work until last week. Or was it the week before? I think it was just last week, but I don’t even know now, lol.

There had been regular walks around the neighborhood, but we’ve had really crummy weather for way too many days now.

10 days ago I decided to go as close to full quarantine as I could due to asthma and other health issues. Since then I have only left my apartment to go to the building's trash room and laundry room, and once to get some stuff that was in the car. Over the weekend my ex dropped off a bag of groceries (mainly bananas and apples) and he delivered some stuff I ordered from Amazon. In the week before my "quarantine" I did what I called extreme social distancing, and I did a pickup order from Target and 2 trips to the grocery store, and my 15 yo spent the weekend with their dad. I asked them to skip that this past weekend, but I think the visits will be back on at the end of this week if everyone takes precautions. Maybe sticking to visits every 2 weeks rather than weekly seems better in this new normal. I have started making masks and thinking through how to handle "essential" trips. 

Edited by slackermom

I have been grocery shopping three times since the 14th and to one of my dd's house twice. Said dd was living with us until the 1st when they closed on their new house. We had them totally moved within a week and since the 14th most everyone in both houses has been home bound except for essentials. So provided all are feeling well we have decided to continue contact and family support. This is pretty the status quo for me. I was born t0 be a hermit.

DH has been out twice since the 13th: once to get gas for the lawn mower (didn't see any people), and once because he had to pick up license plates for the new car. The dealership wouldn't mail them to us. Husband was pretty ticked about it.  He is working from home until at least May 3.

Kiddo has been home since the 13th. 

I have been out once every 5-7 days for groceries or prescription pick up. I am trying to get all my errands done at once. It is hard to plan it out, because grocery pick up times are erratic right now. 

No socializing other than chatting with neighbors over the fence from several feet away.  Uncle-in-law stopped by to pick up eggs from us, but he stayed in the car and we stayed a few feet away to chat. 

I've had to go out about twice a week since early March, but just for essentials. I everything started closing down around here the second week of March. I went to an after-work dental appointment, only to find that they had closed the office at noon for the duration. I went to an asthma doctor appointment that week, and they closed the office that evening for the duration. I had a hair appointment that week too that got cancelled. I had a six-month bloodwork and recheck appointment with my primary doctor this week that I rescheduled for May. Why should I expose myself there?

We still get groceries about twice a week. I did a Wal-Mart pickup today, went by the bank (ATM and drive-through only), and then filled up my car. My oldest heard about a gym equipment liquidation from a friend and went to that (cash only). 

Otherwise we are home-home-home. My normal Wednesday Bible study is meeting online. Our church isn't doing anything, so we've been watching other church's services on Sundays.

59 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Where are you on this? 

Not at all?   

Solitary things only?  

Only essential things like work or the grocery store? 

Small groups? Just social distancing? 

No change to your life at all? 

Twice since March 12th and didn't get out of the vehicle either time.
First - we went and picked up a tree at a family tree farm that wasn't yet open.  DH got out, picked up the tree, loaded it, paid.  It took about 10 minutes and he used sanitizer and stayed 6' away from the humans except for paying cash.  We stayed in the van but enjoyed the drive.

Second - DD is thinking of moving out this summer and wanted to do some drive bys at apartment complexes.  There and took the scenic route home - never left the vehicle.

I am a homebody and we have about two acres, so my life is relatively easy.  But the urge to just go driving is high.  We are driving an hour away this weekend to get four silky chicks.  The place is normally touristy -- but instead they are doing a drive up window with online paid orders.  I consider it a freaking vacation.  

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Where are you on this? 

Not at all?   

Solitary things only?  

Since shelter in place order on the 21st, I haven't left the house except for some walks. Kids are allowed to roller blade and bike on the cul-de-sac only. They are usually allowed free range of the entire mobile home park, but a lot of the residents are elderly and are scared, so we are keeping them closer to our house than normal. DH went to the office every day for the first week, and they changed that to one time per week last week. He picks up a grocery order on his way home. He has run out for prescriptions a couple of times.

No groups in person at all, basically just essential things. Non-essential things (and we're really hesitant on these, but DD ordered yarn the other day) are via delivery only. 

It's a big change for us. I drove Oldest to community college 4x per week, the other two took TaeKwonDo 4-5x per week, and we had a slew of medical appointments previously. I am upset that DDs' therapists aren't currently offering televisits, but nothing we can do about it, so we just are watching them closely. 

Edit: I will be going out (in the CAR! lol) on Thursday in order to deliver some groceries, laundry supplies, and quarters to my brother. He normally comes over here to do his laundry since his apartment building has pay machines, but we decided just to gift him the $ to do his laundry there. 

Edited by beckyjo
  • Like 1

Hitting the grocery store about once per week.  Yesterday I packed up all the kids and took them through the drive-through at In-N-Out for lunch and then had a car picnic because we were all going to lose our minds if we didn't do something.  I was . . . not in a good place yesterday.  I thought I was handling this quarantine thing well, but yesterday combined with some algebra I was struggling to figure out with my DD. . . let's just say things ended in tears and apologies. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not

I am out about  every other day. Between working, groceries, errands, medical appointments and taking dd13 back and forth for visitations with bio-dad. 

I don't linger in stores and aside from today, when I went up and down every grocery aisle at Costco (trying to remember what I was forgetting), I generally go in, get what I need, and get out. 

I am completely off of my full time job, but still work at my part time job on the weekends. Both are pharmacy, but the weekend one has a much higher chance of exposure.  I am much safer doing errands, than I am at work. LOL

It's been 3ish weeks since I've been anywhere other than our little neighborhood. We live in the country. I've seen a couple neighbors when the kids and I go for our weather-permitting daily walk,  but that's it.

DH has been grocery shopping, running errands, etc...as necessary. Oh, and going to work (but he is mostly self-employed, and has been solitary for most of that). Well, he is a FF, so he does sometimes have things to do for that. Thankfully, our FF doesn't get many calls.

I miss going to church and the library, but we are doing okay at the moment. I do have a (fairly important) doctor appt. next week. We will see how things stand then.

Grocery shopping once or twice a week. Sometimes I do a pick up, other times I go in. When I go in I try to get it done as quickly as possible.

Takeout a couple of times a week.

I have a foster dog here who has needed some vet care. They're doing a curbside routine, so only minimal interaction with a tech.

Walking the dogs once a day. Sometimes we stop to talk with others out walking, but at a safe distance.

We're still going to see MIL once a week. We all discussed it and decided it's necessary for her mental health. No hugging, trying to keep as much distance as possible.

• Like 1

My boys haven't been out since March 13th.  I hadn’t been out since March 15th until this morning when I had to go to my dad’s bank to take care of something because it is cloisng for good (good thing I had authority to take care of his stuff or I would have been hauling his 85 year old fanny out with me). DH took his dad out on March 16th to get a biopsy and then again last Monday to get his dad a curbside shot in his stomach.  First time that doctor ever set up a hsot appointment in the pakring lot.  

Zero social things. I have been to the grocery store, averaging once per week. I have been one time to the pharmacy for an Rx refill. On one particular day, I went to a second grocery store bc I heard they had some of the other items I needed that the first store didn’t have. I have made a couple of other errands with no personal interaction - gas station, bank (via teller machine), my MIL’s empty house to mooch WiFi for school downloads. 

I have been using strict guidelines for a month, even though we only just got the Stay at Home official executive order yesterday. This is because first, I was quarantining myself once back from Europe and then had my dd here under quarantine. So no, I go nowhere unnecessary at all. 

We go on neighborhood walks almost daily and/or play outside in our yard.

The first week that things were starting to close, all three kids had eye appointments made months ago that we went to.  My 3yo hasn’t been anywhere else since, except for a trip to pick up food in the drive-through.  I’ve allowed my older kids to go get groceries once or twice, but I usually go alone.  I have been going out every 3-4 days because there always seems to be something we need, like for more milk or a TP hunt.  Dh was overseas until about a week ago and is on 14 day self quarantine mandated by his employer.  He hasn’t been anywhere.

Kids have not been anywhere since the 12th, except for kids riding in the car when I went to drop off some things for my mom. We drove around for a bit to finish listening to an audiobook. Dh went out to pick up take out food Sunday night and to get pizza the weekend before.

I am out once or twice a week for groceries. Will need to pick up an Rx this week. We have a small house, one fridge and not much storage. Five days is about all we can eke out on fresh or frozen food. Dropped a letter in the outdoor post office box today and an Amazon return at the UPS store last week. 

We are all out walking every day, in our neighborhood, a nearby Ag extension campus that is large and parklike, or one of three other large parks near us. 

Mid to late April we will need a run to Lowe's or Home Depot.  

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Where are you on this? 

Not at all?   

Solitary things only?  

Before our county issued the "Stay At Home" order, we were only going out for groceries and my son's group therapy; DH's company went to "work from home" early on in this as they are HQ'ed in Italy, so while we were still on Spring Break (2nd week of March?) they already moved to work from home. 

Since the Stay At Home order, DS has "graduated" from his therapy (yay) so that's off, and DH continues to work from home, I continue to work from home (I teach 2 classes at our local home school enrichment place, K & 1st; we're sending our assignments and lessons electronically), and we are only leaving for groceries and the occassional carry-out from restaurants. 

So, once/week we will go to a locally-owned restaurant that we love and want to keep in business. All that we've gone to have been doing call-ahead orders, and then you call when you arrive and they bring the order to the car, so no interaction. 

Once/week we go to the grocery store, primarily to restock fresh produce, milk, and eggs (which are still in limited supply so we cannot buy more than a week's worth at a time). DH and I have been doing that together, but realize that needs to stop and I will resume going solo from now on (interestingly, while I was still taking DS to therapy, I was going solo as the store was on the way home, so honestly only once have we done a "partner shop" together since this all started). 

I have gone to the post office twice to mail things to my students; once I had to interact with the employee, but the 2nd time they had the self-serve kiosk up & running, so I used that. I used the back of my knuckle to type with and touched nothing else, and hand sanitized when finished (and did not come w/in 15 feet of another person while there). 

We have done Best Buy curbside pick-up twice, same set-up as the restaurants; order online, check in on your phone when you arrive, someone brings it out to the curb. 

We did go to the hardware store and bought lumber for building our garden beds, but the lumber cart created an automatic 10 foot distance keeper and we interacted with no one else. 

Church is online only. Youth Group online only. My K & 1st classes now have me sending everything electronically -- power points, videos, etc. My son's classes, online only. His fencing, stuck at home (they let us borrow equipment, and they are posting training videos). Banking is all online/via the app. I am resisting the urge to run to the store for "that one thing" that will make a recipe work, and instead adapting with what I have at home. If I could get to going every two weeks only, I would, but we simply can't get that much fresh stuff at once. 

For me personally, I'm much busier (it is way more work to provide digital format of Kindergarten than to show up and teach for 3 hrs), yet all at home. The dogs are getting more walks, and we've gone down to the (empty) school parking lot with scooters, skate boards, roller blades, etc. to get out and exercise some. 

I never really realized how much I thrive on the hustle & bustle and just interacting with human beings outside my own family. 

I generally only go to the grocery store and even then, only first thing in the morning. But today, I went to Target to pick something up I needed for lessons and Target was so bad about social distancing! I felt awful when I left! The one employee walks up to me and offers to help. I step away and said I was fine, I knew what I was looking for. But then he came right over right by me and kept on talking. I could not get him to leave us alone. I actually told him I already looked the product up online for the store on the Target app and I picked up my phone to look and he reaches over to touch my phone to look. To top it off, he kept pulling things off the shelf and asking me if I wanted this and that...I came for head phones and he kept taking ear buds off the hooks and showing them to me. Why did he have to touch each one? Ugh! If I come back and post in the next two weeks that I have Covid, you will know where it came from. I will not be returning to Target any time soon.

Edited by Janeway
  • Sad 2

I will say though, I have plenty of TP and I heard from some people who have been unable to get it. So I was at the store yesterday morning when they opened and there was tons of TP. I texted some of the people but then, when I did not hear back right away, I bought the stuff. Turns out, those people saw my texts and came running. I guess I have extra now for the next person who says they need some.

• Like 1

I haven't been further than the mailbox since March 11th. DH has been to the grocery store a couple of times, made an emergency trip to the hardware store, and drove an hour each way to deliver some food to my parents. My kids each had somewhere to go on March 14th, dd delivered something to a friend's porch yesterday, and dd has been riding her bike around the immediate neighborhood. Other than those things, we haven't been out at all.

I've been out once for groceries (yesterday) since the 15th. DD and I take a walk or two each day for the dogs.

DH does delivery service for food. He says all the restaurants place the bag of items on a table, he walks in and picks it up (with gloves), and drops it at the person's front door then takes a photo and texts it to the person to let them know it's there.

We have been quarantining since March 13th.  All groceries have been delivered, and I haven't been inside a store since March 3rd., I think.

DH already works from home anyway, so being home isn't a change for him.  

DD19 has not left the house since the 13th.

DH, DD16, and I went for a drive on the 21st.  DD16 and I have taken some walks (while people dodging when necessary).  We also went to my mom's house yesterday because she baked some goodies for us.  She left them on the porch and waved to us through the window.

Since the 13th, I went grocery shopping once and stocked up. My son has not been anywhere since then. We go around our suburban block for walks once a day as a family and I go a few times a day alone by myself. I work in my yard every day for sunshine and a chance to get away from my family who are loudly interacting online. I need to replenish grocery and I also need some garden supply from the nursery which I have been putting off. My DH ordered a lot of stuff on amazon, so we get deliveries almost on a daily basis.

I have only been out for grocery runs and to the doctor's office for appointment or prescriptions.  DH and kids have picked up take out a few times.  DH needs to got pick up a prescription this afternoon, but they will bring it out to him in his car.

1 hour ago, Margaret in CO said:

We've been on lockdown for weeks. I've been to the grocery store twice and the PO once. The kids have been to work (dd is still plowing and is now working at the Emergency Operations Center), and they've hit the grocery store and the farm supply store for colostrum for the cattle. I walk every day, but it's on the ranch, so I'm "social distancing" by a mile or so! My neighbor did honk as she drove by about a half mile away today!

Same here, Margaret! We have no neighbors out here, except for the cows that live a mile or so away at the bottom of the valley behind our house.đŸ™‚

I feel like I'm going out more since most of the grocery stores have put limits on water, milk, and a few other items.  We usually go through several gallons of water and 5 gallons of milk a week.  Normally, unless I'm at work, I'm home and go grocery shopping once a week. So two here, two there, and I'm getting so tired of going to the store.  Also our regional Raleys/bel air chain isn't stocking paper products at all.  Last cashier I talked too said she has no idea when they'll have a delivery.  We'll probably run out in about a week or so.  I'll be doing a hunt and gather trip next weekend probably.   Funny story.  Told Kiddo he needed to conserve on the toilet paper and not use so much. Try to make one roll last the week.  Aspie brain found a work around.  I asked how's it going and he said, I'm making roll last by pulling a few pieces from other rolls in the cabinet.  *facepalm* 

Anyhow, we're mostly homebodies so unless we're at our shop, we're home. Other than the many grocery trips, things haven't changed too much.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My last day in school was 3/18. I went to the grocery store that day and today. Wore a mask and gloves today - felt like a dork, but a slightly safer dork. CSA pick up every wednesday, but I either don't see anyone when I do that, or just the guy behind the front desk at the office I pick up at and he's behind glass.

DH and I go to our office every day. I go in the morning to deliver IEP services via google hangouts and he goes in the afternoon to see clients via telemedicine (therapist). We're the only ones in the building as all of the other clinicians are working completely from home, so it doesn't feel any less safe than staying home and it's a lot easier. We have a small house and the way it's set up, whoever is having video sessions would probably have to do them from one of the bedrooms (no desks), which is awkward. It also feels a little less isolating to drive to work every day, even though neither of us are seeing anyone in person while we're out. 

We all walk around the neighborhood when the weather cooperates, which isn't often enough right now.  

I go out every day to the science center, with maybe an occasional one skipped.  I have to feed animals and I'm doing some cleaning and reorganizing. 

Dh works from home and goes out about once a week to grocery shop,

Ds hasn't left the house except for walks around the neighborhood.

Dd comes with me to the science center twice a week for an algebra class I'm running by zoom.  

That's basically it.   Dh is going to visit his mom about 3 hours away this weekend.  He's going to do some shopping for her and spend some time visiting.  He figures visiting will make it more likely she won't go out to the store on her own. 

I go to work every day Monday through Saturday.  I've restrained my grocery shops to once per week, if that.  I tried using pickup at Sam's Club and I was not a fan, so I will go in person and use my scan-n-go app next time.   Last weekend I took DD to Michael's to talk to the manager about working her into the schedule since she's home from college. While we were out we stopped at Menard's for garbage bags and bean seeds. 

Other than that, I have two teenagers with learner's permits, so we do go out to drive, but we don't actually go anywhere or get out of the car.  We just drive around, so I don't think that counts.