Menu

found a lump - crappy update on p 14

hornblower

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: 

BTDT and so did my mom.  It sucked but we are both still here.  Hang in there. 

On a side note, if you don't already have one, you might consider finding a maid to come in and take care of the house once a week.  Getting her/him in place now would probably work better than once you are feeling bad.  It gives you a chance to get used to them and gives them a chance to learn to do things the way you prefer.  There will be days that housework is beyond you but having it not filthy may be helpful physically and psychologically.  Unless having someone else in the house would cause too much stress...

Also, if you don't already, I would suggest walking daily for now.  Keep up some form of daily exercise even if you just feel like curling up in a ball and bawling.  It will help physically and psychologically.

Also, if treatments really make you feel bad, don't immediately accept it as normal.  Check with your doctor.  I ended up being allergic to certain components of the first chemo they tried.  I was in TERRIBLE shape.  Everyone told me it was normal.  I questioned it.  The doctor immediately switched meds and it helped a lot.  Not that chemo became a picnic but I was functional as opposed to bed ridden.

And again.... :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 14

Oh, Hornblower I am so sorry. Many hugs.

You are among friends here, and several of us are breast cancer survivors. My diagnosis was nearly 12 years ago. While I don’t take continued good health as a given, my hair grew back and my energy fully returned. After treatment, I got my life back.

I don’t think chemo impacted my teeth at all, so that is not a universal side effect.

• Like 6

I hope everyone is doing ok and getting good news.

Mine was not good. Invasive mammary cancer. I'm seeing a surgeon today. I'm so sad & scared

& mad! I had to withdraw from my school right before exams.

I am so sorry. About it all, but as a fellow student, that totally sucks.

• Like 1

Aw shoot.  I'm so sorry to hear this news.  If hearing about how others did with this is helpful, I'll tell you...

Two of my best friends had this (one had it twice in five years).  They both went through all the treatments, and five+ years later are doing great and feel that their lives are back to normal.  My own mother had cancer in both breasts at age 42.  She is now about to turn 90.  

You take care.  I'll be praying.

• Like 8

Aw shoot.  I'm so sorry to hear this news.  If hearing about how others did with this is helpful, I'll tell you...

Two of my best friends had this (one had it twice in five years).  They both went through all the treatments, and five+ years later are doing great and feel that their lives are back to normal.  My own mother had cancer in both breasts at age 42.  She is now about to turn 90.  

Right now, these are my favourite things to hear about!

& I love your sigline word: HOPE 

thank you & everyone else

• Like 14

Actually just checked my school mail and got msg from one of my profs that they're working on processing them as incompletes for now. 

re dental stuff - I have frigging braces on. I'm about 6 months away from end of ortho treatment. So it's on my list to sort out. Might pull them off & have bonded retainers put in for a bit. I don't know. And yeah, I've heard too that chemo takes a toll on teeth so my dentist will need to be involved. 

You might see about finishing out with invisalign. You can wear them through scans and radiation.

• Like 3

Hornblower--my BFF had a clear mammo and then a few months later was diagnosed with invasive cancer in one breast (many ducts affected) and a HER + lump in the other breast. Two different types of cancer in two different breasts. There was some lymph involvement. Surgery, chemo, rad.....and several years later, other than having to take daily hormone suppressors, she is fine.

This is hard news, especially during a time when many people are celebrating happy holidays, but there is hope.

So sorry to hear this, hornblower. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I was in your shoes with the same sort of invasive BC diagnosis 2 1/2 years ago. I remember the shock...& the "this can't be happening to me" feeling.

But...I survived those months of treatment & came out the other side. Today my life is completely normal again apart from a daily hormone repressing pill and regular doctor visits. You will make it through, too!!

I'm still praying for you here.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: Best wishes, Hornblower. My oldest dd went through this 2 years ago. Not fun. But she is cancer-free now and is feeling healthy and back to normal. I'm glad to hear you can see a surgeon right away. Talking to the doctors helped as they were always so compassionate and reassuring.

Oh, Hornblower I am so sorry. Many hugs.

You are among friends here, and several of us are breast cancer survivors. My diagnosis was nearly 12 years ago. While I don’t take continued good health as a given, my hair grew back and my energy fully returned. After treatment, I got my life back.

I don’t think chemo impacted my teeth at all, so that is not a universal side effect.

Just quoting these posts because they're so important. You're going to be one of the survivor stories, too!

We are all here for you, hoping and praying and worrying and sending positive thoughts, and whenever you need to talk or vent, just keep on posting. I wish there was more that we could do for you, but although I can't usually speak for the entire Hive, I know for sure that we will all help you through this in any way we can. All you have to do is ask.

We've never even met, but I'm sitting here crying after reading your update, because I was praying and praying that you would get good news and it would be a simple case of removing the lump and everything would be fine. I'm so sorry you got such a scary diagnosis, and if I have one piece of advice for you, it's to make sure you've got the best possible doctors and hospital, even if you have to travel for your treatment.

Praying for you every day. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 10

Blast. Why does this happen to the nicest people? 

Praying for the most excellent and effective health care, and plenty of personal support for you on this journey.

Amy

Acadie said what I wanted to.

{{{{{hornblower}}}}}

I'll be thinking and praying and sending all the love I can for your healing.

• Like 1

I am very sorry Hornblower and will be praying for a good outcome for you.

My dd, who started chemo the week of her 40th birthday in May is two weeks out from double mastectomies and will start radiation next month, is tired but doing good. She has a super kick-butt attitude and the doc told her, even though he wasn't allowed to, that he thought those who had that attitude did better and that it might be more important than all the rest to recovery. So I leave with my dd favorite saying ...I'm girding my loins and going to war and I'm going to kick cancer ass! 

• Like 10

Sending tons of hugs and prayers your way.  I sure wish you had received better news.

Since you didn't, allow me to add that I have two bs survivors/friends at school, both your age or younger.  It's the pits going through it, but there is a better life once it's done.

Meanwhile...  :grouphug:

• Like 4