Menu

found a lump - crappy update on p 14

hornblower

yup. In the boob. 

I have an appointment to see doctor tomorrow afternoon; feel free to remind me odds are it's nothing.....

Update:  Had the diagnostic mammo and u/s today. An hour after I got home I got a phone call from my doctor that they called her & they don't like it; she's arranging to send me for a biopsy. 

tl/dr updates: 

Update in #210: mine is cancer 😞

update #354: we have a treatment plan! 

update on p 14 because I no longer see post #s: it appears to be back and it has spread 😞

Edited by hornblower
  • Sad 1

OK, I'll be the odd (wo)man out. 

I had a lump, and it was, indeed, a fluid-filled cyst near the surface. But it got me in for a non-routine mammo, at which they flagged something else that looked odd.  That oddity was way down deep in the breast tissue, next to a rib.  It was a very small cancer, and I never would have felt it in a breast self-exam, due to its placement. They caught it early, and I did not have to have chemo or radiation, "just" surgery and tamoxifen.

I'll forever be grateful for the lump I did feel.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 22

Oh you guys are good at this!

I like the idea of a fluid filled cyst.  As far as internet diagnoses go, this one wins. (this is how it works, right? You pick the diagnosis you like the most...?) 

As an IBCLC I 'know' functioning boobs but this is out of my range of expertise, other than going - oh, uh, that shouldn't be there. 

thank you, I do feel ok with this right now & yeah, I'm glad my doc had openings tomorrow. 

• Like 11

I had a lump removed at the beginning of this year- I found it, went in for the mammogram, and the mammogram couldn't detect it. I could feel it. The doctors could feel it. But mammo could not pick it up. It wasn't malignant, and as others have said, odds are definitely in your favor. Frightening nonetheless I know, but you will be fine. â¤ï¸

• Like 1

:grouphug: I'm hoping for nothing. The first lump I found was nothing, but I did get a scare because when they had me in for a mammo and sonogram to check it out they informed they found something concerning in the other breast. I had a biopsy a week later (passed out after and was told that wasn't uncommon) and even their concern turned out to be nothing. 

• Like 1

I had a scare about 2-3 years ago.  The anxiety about near killed me, along with receiving a message on a Saturday about a problematic mammogram, and then not being able to reach my OB's office for almost a week. (Leave a message for the nurse for Dr. Xx by pressing 1.  It was impossible to speak to a real person.)  I ended up switching doctors, and finding a wonderful woman radiologist who did just mammos and such.   She would talk to you in person right then and there, read the films, so no waiting.  They did the diagnostic mammo and then I had a very very long u/s.  There were two or three things they wanted to follow, and I had to come back in four months.  But she said, she was 99% sure they were cysts...only problem was some "debris."  So at the 4 month follow up, one still had debris, so they biopsied it.   She said she'd have the results in 24 hours and made an appointment for me to come in. She said she always has people come i.  I was so nervous, especially as I watched an older woman come out in tears.  Turns out, my biopsy was benign.  

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

The Doctor found one at my sister's last appointment (even my sister could feel it).  She was sure it was going to be bad, she has finally gotten her life straight and has a great job and a bright future.... We talked about her options if it turned out to be bad (I advocate full removal, take them both if they will).  She went in for a scan......it was a cyst.  It's terrifying but odds are in your favor.

• Like 1

Hugs

I had one, I had a scan and was told that I was premenopausal andmy breast tissue was changing structure and becoming sort of lumpy feeling to me. I have very little breast so I can feel the change in structure, whereas awoman with a bit more fatty tissue probably wouldn't feel the difference so much

Grrrr my iPad changed breast to breaststroke.maybe it thinks I need some excercise

• Like 5

I think statistically somewhere in the range of 80 percent of breast lumps are benign? Don't quote me on that, but I think it's close to right. So yes, the odds are hugely in your favor that it's nothing. I had to have a large benign lump removed years ago. It was a benign fibroadenoma, but got large enough it had to be removed.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2