Menu

What would you do with $10,000

itsheresomewhere

Something lighthearted for the weekend.

So my friend and her sister found out their relative left them both $10,000.  The only thing this person asked of both of them was to spend it not on bills or savings but to do something fun with it. Either for themselves or for their family.  

So DH and I were thinking of different ways we would do with it if was us. What would you do with it? 

• Like 2

Ugh, that would be hard because I could NOT spend it. I just couldn't. It would go into a separate savings account for a new vehicle or something. 10K on something "fun" is beyond my comprehension (or budget, lol!). If I absolutely had to spend some just to be in compliance with the person's wishes, I would save 8K or so and use the rest for a small vacation - something low-key.

10K...I was born into/married into the wrong family! lol

• Like 6

Travel with a friend.

Not much change out of $10, 000, I'd imagine.

Or, pay for a clothes designer to come and work with me on a vision of an aesthetic and styles that would work for me, and then pay someone to make those outfits in quality fabrics etc.  Keep the patterns and the pattern variation for the future, if I need or want an update.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Travel with a friend.

Not much change out of $10, 000, I'd imagine.

Or, pay for a clothes designer to come and work with me on a vision of an aesthetic and styles that would work for me, and then pay someone to make those outfits in quality fabrics etc.  Keep the patterns and the pattern variation for the future, if I need or want an update.

Ooooooo I like this personal stylist idea!

• Like 2

My first thought was to hire out more of our partial basement finishing plan than we intend to, but Wildflower Mom brought up fencing. I’m more confident in my taping and mudding skills than my rock breaking and post installing skills, so I guess that’s that.

Yes, getting out of hard labor is my idea of fun!

• Like 2

I’d have a big party at a sports game. Sport depends on what season I get the moola.

Rent a box and invite fam and frens. 

drive everyone to & from in a party bus 

have commemorative T-shirts made. 

give everyone foam fingers 

Cater it with thematic foods and bevs 

invite a retired player from the team to sign autographs

get our pictures on the jumbotron 

make sure the mascot visits our box

have a cake with the dead person’s photo on it with sparklers and trick candles

get a giant spinny wheel and label it with everyone’s name. Spin the wheel regularly & give prizes to the person whose name comes up

at end of festivities, give everyone gift bags filled with personalized candy

• Like 7

I would take my family camping near Lake Superior, which we often do. However, I would go this time with the super thick camping mats, ultralight backpacks, all the fancy wool clothing etc. The biggest part of the dream: I would pay to have the suv cleaned when we get home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It just so depends on what the couple enjoys.

We are planning a trip back to Africa next summer, it will be far more than $10k, but it would be a huge help.

We also love Disney and just dropped about $3k on a trip, but have annual passes now and will be going back, $10k could last a few years of disney trips and APs.

If my Aspie ever starts driving, we could use another car.

I would love some new furniture.

The possibilities are endless.

• Like 1

Recently, my mother how is in her early 80s received a large packet from a lawyer from another state.  In it was a copy of the will from a childhood friend.  The friend has left $10,000 to each person who graduated from high school with her who was still alive.  I think my mom bought some new furniture with part of it and the rest is in savings for the time being.  

• Like 6

Use it to gradually pay for a variety of domestic services so that I have more time/energy for "fun".

For example, I'd pay for a maid service to come clean my home a couple of times a month and use that time to do something "fun" with my family. I'd take the family to nice restaurants or outings that are outside of our usual budget.

Or use the money to do a cheapy tour of North America.

• Like 1

Upgrade a family vacay. We're likely very close to the last vacay we can take that includes both of our kids but does not include significant others. One last hurrah in the deceased's name! 

My mom can't travel anymore, so I'd increase taking her out to eat, and upgrade some of the restaurants. 

My dad also can't travel, so I'd put some money in his online gambling account, lol. 

Probably put at least $500 in cash, and always have some on me so I can buy some things I want but really, really don't need.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pinball said:

I’d have a big party at a sports game. Sport depends on what season I get the moola.

Rent a box and invite fam and frens. 

drive everyone to & from in a party bus 

have commemorative T-shirts made. 

give everyone foam fingers 

Cater it with thematic foods and bevs 

invite a retired player from the team to sign autographs

get our pictures on the jumbotron 

make sure the mascot visits our box

have a cake with the dead person’s photo on it with sparklers and trick candles

get a giant spinny wheel and label it with everyone’s name. Spin the wheel regularly & give prizes to the person whose name comes up

at end of festivities, give everyone gift bags filled with personalized candy

Ooh yeah I would still buy the motorcycle

Than use the rest to do pitchside table for my family including my parents and brother and his son at Sounders -Timbers game.

• Like 1

My classroom. I could get all midi capable digital pianos, ipads for my composition and group piano classes, more Nuvo instruments and Orff instruments for my homeschool classes, and perhaps most importantly, be able to subsidize a few more lower income students.  

• Like 2

Take a "lifetime memories" vacation with family, e.g.: cruise to Alaska or around the Hawaiian islands.  (For some people, those are normal vacations and they'd need to find something else that would be a memories building experience, maybe a couple of weeks to tour Kazakhstan and/or India, since not as many people visit those areas of the world as tourists.) 

• Like 1