How often do you wear make up? (poll)

Janeway

How often do you wear make up?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you wear make up?

• Always, even if I don't leave the house
    • Every time I go out, but not if I am just at home
    • Only when I will likely see other people
    • Mostly when I am likely to see other people, but not for things like swimming or hiking
    • Mostly just for special occasions or other things like church, meetings, going out to eat, etc
    • sometimes
    • don't really wear make up
    • other..because there is always an other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/18/2020 at 05:01 AM

How often do you wear make up? I have pretty much stopped wearing it unless it is a dress up event, church, or something along those lines. I do not wear it as an every day thing anymore. I used to. But now, I am finding a lot of the younger moms I am meeting won't be seen until they have their make up on. And when we went hiking the other day where we did nothing but hike in the woods, makeup. Makes me wonder if I am too casual, or if I should not worry about it and not doubt myself. I just feel make up costs and takes time and prefer to not spend time or money to go back to it being an every day thing. I am wondering what everyone else does.

I wear a light foundation with spf, mascara and tinted lip balm every day. I’m actually doing a bit more eye makeup recently because I think it looks nicer with my glasses. I don’t wear it for other people, so it makes no difference if I go out or not. I polish my nails and dye my roots for me as well, so I’m continuing to do those things even though I’m just at home.

My “routine” takes all of 5 minutes or less, but makes me feel more put together. I started wearing makeup (again) after I had my DS and became at stay at home mom. A pop of lipstick somehow made me feel much more ready to face whatever the day might bring, even if I never left home. 

I voted sometimes, but my idea of makeup is very minimal -- tinted moisturizer with a decent SPF, (maybe) mascara and tinted lip balm if my lips are dry or I think about it. I can't stand how dirty and icky most of it makes me feel, and how it rubs off on everything.

I'm a tomboy who was raised by religious hippies who lives in one of the most casual metropolitan areas in the country and has sensory issues.  It's like a convergence of all the reasons to never wear makeup.  Unless sunscreen and chap stick count, virtually never.  

I didn't select special occasions because the things that you listed don't seem super rare to me (such as going to church or a meeting, which could be weekly or more often).  For me, special occasion might be like a 20th wedding anniversary or MAYBE a friend's wedding that I am in.  

I should add the proviso that I was genetically blessed with very clear skin and the type of complexion that makeup was originally created to mimic.  I would probably been more interested in makeup if I had acne or other skin issues.  Sometimes I've wished that I could or would wear some.  In the last year, I have started blow drying my hair, having it professionally cut and colored + getting a very plain, short gel manicure fairly regularly (pre-Covid anyways).  Maybe I will start wearing some makeup in my 40s.  But I said that in my twenties about my 30s and here I am about to turn 40 and have worn makeup maybe MAYBE 5 times in the last decade.  🤣

• Like 3

Very rarely.  I wore it all the time in middle/high school and early college.  But I got a series of pink eye and kept having to toss out makeup and buy new and it got expensive, so I decided it wasn't worth it.  Now I only wear it for special occasions, which are few and far between.  Maybe once or twice a year for a special date with DH or if I was invited to a wedding to something.

I do put on lotions with sun protection a few times a week on my face, but I don't really consider that makeup in the same way.

I used to wear makeup a lot but now, I don't even own any makeup. It just seems like too much of a hassle to put it on and sensory issues have always caused me to smear it and get it every where.

I like getting my toe nails painted but not my finger nails. I used to dye my own hair constantly but as I've gotten older, I've let go of that too. Now I only dye it when I feel like it which is less and less. My mom despised makeup and seemed to hate that I enjoyed wearing it when I was younger. I'm sure that plays into my opinion in its own way.

I do like perfume and body spray though. I'm very picky about it due to sensory issues again but I do wear some kind of perfume or body spray everyday because I like it.

Edited by sweet2ndchance

Never any more.  At some point, I thought, this is my face.  What am I teaching my daughter if it isn't good enough?  And also, men don't wear make up, and their faces are good enough.  I want to help normalize makeup-less women.  And then I just started really enjoying not having makeup slide off my face due to oily skin, and no raccoon look other than what comes naturally.

Not that I judge anyone else for their makeup choices.  

• Like 5

My eyebrows and eyelashes are not very dark. If I don't color them in some way, it's almost as if I have no face, so when I'm going out, eyebrow color and mascara go on.

Foundation, blush, finishing powder, lipstick...those are rare, reserved for things like weddings and meeting the President, lol.

Special occasions, but that's likely to be once or twice a year.  REALLY special occasions, not just church or going out to eat, but going to a wedding or a fancy dinner for a special occasion.

ETA:  Most of the women I'm around are also not wearing makeup, but most of them are fellow homeschool moms.   I saw more women wearing makeup when I worked in an office, but even then I didn't most of the time.    I also don't blow dry or "do" my hair other than wash, condition and brush.  I have white "highlights".    I don't have long or polished nails.   

I feel like makeup is LESS common now than it was when I grew up in the 80's.  

Edited by Where's Toto?

These days, practically never, lol.

In normal times, I might do make up for going out, or I might not. There’s no real consistency, so just about everyone has seen me both with and without in all settings. I almost never do it for just being at home unless I happen to be trying out something new, which is very rare.

One of my dds does her make up every day even though she almost never leaves the house for anything but exercise. She’s big on the artistry and always trying new stuff. When we see her without eyebrows it’s weird.

It depends on the location.

I mostly only wear lipstick.  As I have gotten older, I wear brighter and brighter lipsticks.  I especially like rose, coral, and bright pink, not so much red.  Oddly I also can wear a brown if it has no red in it whatsoever.  I don't even wear lipstick up in the mountains because it looks weird to people up there--they relate better to me without it.  It's really funny.

I used to like to wear mascara, and it helped my looks a lot, but once I started wearing glasses instead of contacts, it tended to smear, so I gave it up.    I haven't worn eye shadow regularly since I was in my 20s.  The browns and pinks never looked right on me, so I had to use blues and greens.  That's a very specific look that goes in and out of style, and when it's out it's REALLY out.  Have not attempted it for a long time, because I have always looked ridiculous with it on if I don't also have mascara on.  

I wear tinted moisturizer if I'm a bit sunburned and want to tone my skin down, especially if I have a zoom meeting.  

That's it.  

I hate the feel of foundation.  Plus I feel like in general if you wear it sometimes, you have to wear it all the time.  I do have rosacea, and it's the kind where I always like kind of ruddy, not patches of red, so I never lack color in my cheeks, LOL.

I do think it's important to fit in, to an extent.  I visited North Carolina several times, and I know I looked practically naked there without full make up.  I'm grateful that where I live the social pressure is not that intense in favor of it, because I really don't like it.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

When I lived in TX, daily. It was just the norm for the crowd I ran with. 

Here.....if I'm headed out of the house for anything other than errands, I wear it....tinted cc+ cream, mascara, eyeshadow, eyebrows, and lipstick at a minimum.  It's a ten minute application---I'm not doing contouring and fake eyelashes and full face layered applications.

I put only when I go out but that includes anytime I am on Zoom, even just for family meetings.  I don't wear much though.  Loose powder, mascara, tiny bit of eye shadow and some on my eyebrows.  I can do it all in about 5 minutes.  My hair takes much longer and I do my hair even if I am just staying home.  I only do it 2-3 times a week though.   

• Like 1

Whenever I'm going out and often at home: eyeliner, mascara, powder, blush, chapstick. Takes less than five minutes. Very occasionally brow color and concealer. Plus root cover in my hair if I need it. 😉 

I look better, I feel better, and I am treated differently. 

For those who hate the feel of foundation, I do, too! Also my nose turns into an oil slick whenever I use any kind of liquid foundation on it. I've found I can get good coverage using mineral powder and my skin doesn't react to it. It feels lighter and provides sun protection, too. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

I voted sometimes, because none of the other categories seemed to fit.

I have been wearing makeup for zoom meetings because I have to look at my own face for an hour or so.  My coloring looks washed out without makeup, so I have been wearing makeup for that.  More makeup that I usually wear when I go out so that I look better on camera.

Usually, I wear make up based on how I feel.  Sometime I feel good and want to look better.  Sometimes I feel poorly and want to look better.

Conversely, sometimes I feel good and don't bother with makeup.  Sometimes I feel poorly and don't care how I look.

ETA:  My makeup = eyeliner, maybe eye shadow, light blush, lipstick or lip gloss.  Occasionally foundation.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Whenever I'm going out and often at home: eyeliner, mascara, powder, blush, chapstick. Takes less than five minutes. Very occasionally brow color and concealer. Plus root cover in my hair if I need it. 😉 

I look better, I feel better, and I am treated differently. 

For those who hate the feel of foundation, I do, too! Also my nose turns into an oil slick whenever I use any kind of liquid foundation on it. I've found I can get good coverage using mineral powder and my skin doesn't react to it. It feels lighter and provides sun protection, too. 

That is what I use too.  

I ran out the other day and used some liquid that I had.  I felt like I was smothering! I can't believe I use to wear panstick!

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

Even when I'm home I moisturize and put on spot concealer and a light SPF BB cream.  And I put on no-color lip balm when my lips are dry (few times a day).  That's it unless I'm going out to see people and if I'm in the mood to care - then I add eye shadow and blush.  I have never owned or attempted to apply eyeliner or mascara, but I have very thick dark eyelashes, so it really isn't needed.  I gave up lipstick decades ago.  And I haven't had my nails (fingers or toes) done, ever. 

I'm quite perplexed by this recent obsession with eyebrows among the younger generation.  I pluck enough to not have a unibrow (and as I age, trim the occasional errant crazy old lady extra-long curly weird brow hairs among them), and otherwise they just sit on my face.  The combing and shading and penciling in - I don't even think the results look good.

Edited by Matryoshka

I typically wear it when I'm leaving home, but occasionally if I'm just running to Walmart or something, I won't. It only takes me about 5 minutes to put on my makeup. I use mostly Rejuva mineral makeup, so it's a loose powder foundation, which is light coverage, mineral powder blush, mineral eye shadow, then I use a little eyeliner, and Honest company mascara (a lot of mascara irritates my eyes - this one doesn't). I also use Beautycounter's lip sheer for my lips - it's really moisturizing and I have it in a pretty light, neutral color.

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Hahaha, I think you’ve never seen me without.  I unequivocally look better with it, no shame in that.  But yeah. When I don’t wear makeup for some reason people tend to ask me if I’m sick, since I’m translucently pale and have pretty much no lip color, plus some acne scarring.  Fun times!

LOL.  I definitely think a lot of us look better with it.  I do notice though that less looks better as women age (I am probably 20 years older than you). 

I used to wear makeup fairly frequently. I even had a subscription to a makeup box for a time. It made me feel put together.
But then I started developing sensitivities to eyeshadow. Then I was done. I don't want to take the risk of developing further chemical sensitivities. I already am allergic to earrings (I've tried many types of "safe" metals) and I don't want to take that risk with topical things.

Emily

8 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Even when I'm home I moisturize and put on spot concealer and a light SPF BB cream.  And I put on no-color lip balm when my lips are dry (few times a day).  That's it unless I'm going out to see people and if I'm in the mood to care - then I add eye shadow and blush.  I have never owned or attempted to apply eyeliner or mascara, but I have very thick dark eyelashes, so it really isn't needed.  I gave up lipstick decades ago.  And I haven't had my nails (fingers or toes) done, ever. 

I'm quite perplexed by this recent obsession with eyebrows among the younger generation.  I pluck enough to not have a unibrow (and as I age, trim the occasional errant crazy old lady extra-long curly weird brow hairs among them), and otherwise they just sit on my face.  The combing and shading and penciling in - I don't even think the results look good.

I always had very dark thick eyebrows.....one day I looked in the mirror and realized they were almost completely invisible and mostly gone. (thanks menopause)  It was shocking.  That is when I started putting a little color them.  But yeah, the way some young girls do it just looks comical to me.

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

LOL.  I definitely think a lot of us look better with it.  I do notice though that less looks better as women age (I am probably 20 years older than you). 

One day, I came home from a women's event at church and remarked to my husband that there had been a woman there who had looked really nice and I couldn't figure out what was different - then it hit me. She didn't have any makeup on. And she looked so lovely. And my kids thought so too.

• Like 1

I almost always wear at least a little unless I'm sick. I like trying new things and I guess it was how I was raised. I was the teenager whose mom kept telling me to wear more lipstick and blush! I guess I'm too pale for her? Even now my mom wants me to wear more lipstick and blush! I do wear it, but I usually opt for more natural colors. Maybe it's a certain kind of southern women's culture that my mom's family was part of and that I internalized.

I also like to be treated well. I used to experiment with it in college and I 100% believe that I am treated better on average when wearing makeup. 

16 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I always had very dark thick eyebrows.....one day I looked in the mirror and realized they were almost completely invisible and mostly gone. (thanks menopause)  It was shocking.  That is when I started putting a little color them.  But yeah, the way some young girls do it just looks comical to me.

Yeah, my grandmother's eyebrows all but disappeared when she got older, so I'd been worried about that.  But it seems like in many things I take after my father, who got the crazy old man eyebrows  (longer brow hairs, growing wildly in all directions).  Like the face version of old-man ear hair.  So with some of my brow hairs already going down this path, it seems likely that's the direction I'll head instead. 😏  

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

I never used to, even when the vast majority of women in my circle wore full make-up. Now as I am getting older, I see my skin tone changing a bit and becoming more washed out. I put on make up for church and occasional dates with my husband. That would be tinted moisturizer with SPF, eye brightener (kind of like concealer but lighter), eyebrow color, a little bronzer instead of blush, a little powder that gives me a more even skin tone, and a bit of eye shadow. This takes about 4 to 5 minutes to apply, and eye shadow takes the most of it. Sometimes I put on a bit of mascara. I discovered that you can put on mascara base first, which is like a white cream, and it makes the mascara stick better and makes my short eyelashes look longer and just nicer. I have sensitive skin, but I found that Bobbi Brown brand works for me without giving me breakouts, and even the mascara doesn't bother me.

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme

1 minute ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

I never used to, even when the fast majority of women in my circle wore full make-up. Now as I am getting older, I see my skin tone changing a bit and becoming more washed out. I put on make up for church and occasional dates with my husband. That would be tinted moisturizer with SPF, eye brightener (kind of like concealer but lighter), eyebrow color, a little bronzer instead of blush, a little powder that gives me a more even skin tone, and a bit of eye shadow. This takes about 4 to 5 minutes to apply, and eye shadow takes the most of it. Sometimes I put on a bit of mascara. I discovered that you can put on mascara base first, which is like a white cream, and it makes the mascara stick better and makes my short eyelashes look longer and just nicer. I have sensitive skin, but I found that Bobbi Brown brand works for me without giving me breakouts, and even the mascara doesn't bother me.

I discovered that too and I love it.

• Like 1

I answered special occasions, but really only event where I will possibly be photographed. Weddings, special events like parties, fancy dinners etc. If no  photography is expected, then I don't wear makeup. I look horrible in photos without makeup, so if I have to be in them sans makeup, I will skip the photo. 

Always when I leave the house (not for swimming, though).  But I don't wear a lot as a general rule. I'm one of those redheads with totally invisible eyelashes 😫, so mascara is a must or I feel naked. Some light blush (cuz I'm pale) and some lip gloss. Easy and quick. 

If I'm just at home, but dh is home all day with me, I'll also put on some makeup. 

I don't have any.  I have very sensitive skin and the brands I can wear I can't justify the cost now.  I do have tinted Chapstick but the lip gloss I liked changed its formula so when I put it on for a job interview I looked and felt like something had stung me by the time I arrived.  Mostly though I hate the smell.

I seem to be less oily when I have something on my face, so I daily wear a tinted sunscreen and then powder. Also I'll put on a mere sweep of a neutral eye shadow, and I'll curl my lashes. That's for at home. For out and about, I add blush (and increase amounts of the above).

There were several years when I was homeschooling that I didn't wear any makeup. Then I got my driver's license renewed with a new picture, 8 years older than the previous picture, and I was horrified. So then I started wearing eyeliner and mascara again. I look like I have no eye lashes without it. Going back to work in my fifties, I have a more professional (and younger) appearance if I at least wear those two things. I stopped wearing make-up at the beginning of shelter-in-place when we had a two week break from school. Then I had my first Zoom meeting, and the first thing you see is your own camera image. "Is that what I look like? Wait, let me go put on my makeup!"

It irritates my skin (especially at the lash line, which is unfortunate because I do look better with eyeliner) and while it's easy enough to put on in the morning, it's a real hassle to take off at night. I very seldom wear it, other than tinted lip balm. It's probably been a year now since I wore toenail polish--I mess fingernail polish up too quickly.

I also don't color my hair, even though it's starting to turn gray, or wear heels.

I wear light makeup for our annual holiday party and family portraits.  I have freckles, which means foundation is complicated.  I have hooded eyes, which means eye makeup is complicated.  I work out 6 days a week, usually in the early afternoon, so I'd have to re-apply.  Makeup that's health and environment conscious is really expensive, so it's not usually worth the per application cost to me.  However, I often use a translucent powder and chapstick for church-not sure if that counts as makeup.