Menu

Hits and misses?

Night Elf

My mom gave me bootie slippers that I love. We had our family Christmas on the 23rd so I came home and wore them the rest of the day and all day yesterday the 24th. By evening, my longest toe on my left foot was hurting. So the slippers are too small. I liked them because they were snug but I guess snug meant too little. She told me she got them at Kohls and I didn't know if they'd take back worn merchandise. I found the slippers online for cheap, had a 25% coupon, and a $10 gift certificate so I bought the next size up and paid only $2.89. I'll donate the smaller pair. I figured even if Kohls would take them back, less than $3.00 is not bad and I can donate them to a good cause.

DH loved his fingerless gloves. His fingers are shorter than mine so they don't go down as far on his fingers but he said as long as the tips were bare he could type. He's excited to try them out at the office this week. I told him they were super inexpensive so if they don't work it's not a big loss and he was happy to hear that. :)

Dd loved her UGA socks since she goes to UGA. I also got her another beanie. I also got her a Link action figure from Zelda Wind Waker for Nintendo Wii since that is her favorite game. It's a posable figure so she's excited to put it on the tv cabinet in her dorm room.

My other two kids haven't opened gifts yet. Ds will wake up at 4:00pm and dd will get here around 7:30.

• Like 8

It was solid hits here, except I messed up in one area. Dd7 got an instrument. Since she got an expensive gift, I only got her a couple of other little things to open. Her siblings had twice as many gifts even though the money spent was about the same. She wasn't a good age for that. She is okay, but it was poor planning.

• Like 2

No misses, although both of my little guys wanted the same two LEGO sets, LOL. They’re both happy though and are currently assembling their sets.

Big hits: 6yo actually came over, wrapped his arms around my neck, and cried happy tears at the Frixion erasable markers. I had asked here about art supplies for him that maybe weren’t something he’d seen before (being the fourth kid), and he was so happy. He also asked for a cash register, so I got him one, and I printed/laminated a bunch of coupons/sale signs/open-closed sign/etc. He’s been playing store all morning.

All the family games were well received. Teenage DD seemed really interested in Timeline.

• Like 6

Big hit for the kids was this pyramid:

https://www.amazon.com/PLAYMOBIL%C2%AE-5386-PLAYMOBIL-Pharaohs-Pyramid/dp/B01EKFF2KS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514223872&sr=8-1&keywords=pyramid+playmobil

My husband got a skil saw.  When he saw it, he did a little dance-- so I'd say that's a hit.

Miss was my husband's  tacky, well intentioned but TERRIBLE taste in costume jewelry.    I am going to wear these things in public today purely out of love, then they will have a prominent place in my jewelry box but not myself!!!   Bless his heart.

Edited by poppy
  • Like 4

My 10 year old is suuuuuuper excited about his year membership to Code Kingdoms to make Minecraft mods. It is very well done (they unlock achievements when they complete projects) and he is just loving it! He is even more ecstatic about the book Minecraft: The Island. It's written by Max Brooks, and ds keeps reading a bit and then stopping to exclaim how awesome it is. He keeps asking me to read it.

Ds 16 so far has been happy to watch his dad play the video game ds bought for him (Warhammer 2). He isn't super excited about any of his gifts, but he is very happy with the book of short stories by H. P. Lovecraft that his brother picked out for him.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

We had few gifts; the main gifts are tickets to a play at the American Shakespeare Center in March (kids' school spring break), and the costs associated with that (lodging, meals, etc).  Everyone agreed to that, it was expected.

My son is hidden in his room, reading the latest Brandon Sanderson fantasy novel.  1200 pages; he should be busy a while.

My daughter is using her new paints.

My husband and I are messing about in the kitchen with dinner prep but wishing we were reading our new books.  I received 3 books!  

A nice Christmas!

• Like 3

Pretty much all hits here, partially because the adults all go things they asked for and the kids are pretty predictable.

Ds12 got a Nintendo Switch so is thrilled.  He also got the latest Pokemon region book.  and a case of M&M minis because they are the only candy he really eats.

Dd10 loved her super-soft fuzzy pj's she got from my mom (that I picked out).   Also loved her Ipod Touch and five million FNAF things (plushies, and figures, and clothes, and books).

I got new sneakers I needed (Brooks that are really good for my plantar fasciitis), a tea pot with infuser and a tea cozy, yoga socks, and all four of the recent Entertainment Weekly editions featuring Supernatural.  :D

Dh got the gold cross he had asked for.  It was a group gift from me, my mom and oldest dd because it was more expensive than their usual.  I also bought him some new sweats because his are getting really worn, and new work socks because I keep seeing holes when I do the laundry.

Oldest dd got money, warm pjs, food gift cards (including Cheesecake Factory that just opened at the mall she works at), and pens and notebooks.  Plus she borrowed a good 1/2 dozen of my books.  :p  

• Like 3

Hits - a 1940's military canteen for DH. I picked this up at an antique store in Virginia and managed to keep it a secret. Beats headphones for DS. Special markers and bleed-resistant drawing paper for DGD.

Misses- I paid off a rather large medical bill for DD since the hospital offered her a 40% discount if she paid it off by Decem. 29th. She didn't have the money, was on a 6 month payment plan, and since paying it off would save her hundreds, I told her I would pay it for her as a Christmas gift but that was all she would be getting because it was 3X what I was spending on everyone else. It seemed like a good idea three weeks ago. Her feelings were a bit hurt when she didn't have anything under the tree. I still filled her stocking but there were no big gifts.

• Like 1

We didn't have a whole lot of gifts this year.

I got a pressure cooker Instant-pot-like appliance. I asked for it, so I'm happy, although it seems a little hard to understand... There are different buttons on the IP, so I'll have to figure out how to work mine instead of just following the recipe verbatim. My mom, who bought it for me, said the sales person said it needed a separate lid as well, but that's not mentioned anywhere in the book. Once I figure it out (the book is no help at all), I figure I'll like it.

DH got a gift card to Home Depot, so he'll be happy once he shops.

Oldest's gifts were "ok". Nothing thrilled her, but she hated nothing - that's actually pretty good for her.

Middle loves her origami paper and doll chair.

Youngest loves her doll and doll clothes. 

The kids got a board game, The Quest for El Dorado, that is fun to play. 

We got my mom an insulated cup since she's always complaining about her water being hot in the car. It doesn't fit in her car's cup holder. It's too late to return - Amazon seller: the return time ended 12/15 - ugh.

• Like 1

Ds21 finally opened his gifts. He has Aspergers so he doesn't ever get excited about things like I do but he does show happiness. He seemed to like his gifts. He questioned the tshirt with the biohazard symbol but I told him it was the only video game shirt I could think he'd have an interest in. Now let's see if he actually wears it. It's bigger than I thought it would be though. Oh well. It was only $6.

• Like 1

The biggest hit was... poop emoji slippers for DS8.  He jumped up and down and squealed and threw his arms around me in a huge hug.  He put them on immediately and has yet to take them off.

To think I almost didn't buy them because yuck.

He technically also had the biggest miss too, because a hot cocoa mix in a mug (also with that blasted poop emoji on it) that my mom bought him was dropped and broken by "Santa" last night.  Oops.

• Like 2

We had some really big hits this year.  I was able to score some really pricey items on sale.

Star Wars comforter for dd13.

Prismacolor colored pencil set for dd15.

We had lots of other hits, too:  Olaf pillow for dd11; Yoshi stuffies for dd7 and dd9; dog stuffies for dd7, dd9, and dd11; baseball cards for ds17.

• Like 3

Yes!

I just finished it a few days ago in ebook form. Good thing I didn't know how many pages it was before I started it. It took me weeks (15 hours, but I get interrupted lots)!! So worth it. Gonna restart the series because so much makes more sense now!

Hits: Just about all the secret Santa gifts: photo album for Dd#2, colorful 4x6 notebooks for dd#1, Captain America blanket for Dd#3 (thank you Society6), Ronin 7 board game for Ds#1 (though they are still learning to play), the stuffed animal dog for the kitten, and the multi tool thing for ds#2. DH got a new belt - hope it holds up longer than last year's. I got an ornament that was given with love - precious!

Opened my Instant Pot, so will need to rebump the recipe threads. Dd#3 very excited for her little vacuum and dd#2 for her colored pencils. Definitely a winning Christmas.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 3

We also got a Switch for the kids.  I knew it would be a hit and that they would love it, but they really LOVE it and had apparently thought it wasn't going to be happening.  

It's been a rather relaxing and fun day! They've been taking turns with the Switch, and for a little while one of them had the Switch, one of them had the WIi-U going, and I was watching a movie, all in the same little room using the same little entertainment system.

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 1

I got a beautiful new bike that is exactly what I envisioned. It is my personality in bike form! I cannot wait for warmer weather. Happy, happy dance!

The only major miss was not a miss, but a misstep. One child so dearly wanted a ballet barre and got it, but only one wall bracket rather than the necessary two.  :001_rolleyes:  This is what happens when I am in charge of gifts like that. Dh would have read the fine print very carefully, but my ADHD self skimmed and ordered. Oh well. It is an easy fix on Amazon and will be rectified by the end of the week. 

Everything else was a big hit. Everyone was happy with the things they received, both the ones they were pretty sure they were getting and the surprises. It was a lovely day.  :001_wub:

• Like 3

Biggest hit- Ds got a new phone and phone card

Other hits- cash for the older kids, a few movies and believe it or not t-shirts.

Hit for dh-shop vac, it was the only thing I was able to surprise him with, he's been using his other gifts already.

Hit for me--new socks and a book of illustrated classic poetry!!

• Like 1

We only exchanged small gifts because the main family gift was a vacation that we just returned from.  On vacation, I surprised the family with tickets to La Nouba and that was a big hit with everyone.

The books and blendable art markers were hits as well with my DDs.

I'd gotten my dd a deep 6qt saute pan - she really wanted it, and knew it was coming, but I'm also making it part her bd present so I could add gifts around it.  (she's asked for the deep-fry basket that goes with it) 

I found a chicago cutlery RB12S -which is a carving/slicing knife with a 12" blade.  They can be hard to find, and they haven't made it for years.  the standard/common only has a 10" blade, and sometimes that just isn't long enough.  It was nice to see her face light up at the surprise.

• Like 2

My teen son is so thrilled with a T-shirt I got him that I'm afraid he may never take it off. He also got some model kits that are keeping him happy. He was not at all happy about the unicorn finger puppet from his older brother, although the rest of us got quite the laugh. DD11 really liked the Fashion Plates Mega Kit I bought her with money from my parents. Misses: She was really hoping for a few clothing items from Justice, but getting the flu prevented a last minute trip there and she was a bit disappointed.

Middle son is in theater and was the skunk in the high school play of Bambi last week.  I found a great bambi ornament with Flower (the skunk).  He loved it.  He also plays guitar and I got him a pick punch to make his own picks.  

Oldest got stuff for his college dorm room.  He was happy.

Youngest got an Xbox One.  And gum.   :lol:   

• Like 4

My hilarious miss was the pj pants I bought for my 10 year old. They were rolled up in a bin at Target with other kid pjs, I saw size large and got them. When he put them on they came up to his armpits! He looked like he belonged in an after picture for a weightloss ad.

• Like 6

Oldest, ds18, was way more excited than I expected over tickets to Les Mis. It's touring and near us in a few months and he just can't wait.

Youngest, dd15, was over the moon about her new art portfolio because it has a shoulder strap.

They loved the Switch too but we could have been fine with two gifts. No misses this year.

A funny - dh and I both surprised each other with smart watches even though we weren't supposed to get anything. The dc each knew because we had told them excitedly and they thought it hilarious.

• Like 2

Ok I liked everything I was given but am disappointed that my middle child kept asking what I wanted when she went Black Friday shopping and I only send then two things= fuzzy pajama pants and hat and gloves. She gave me two hats, and other things but no gloves ( my current pair is non matching) and no fuzzy pants. Otherwise everybody loved their presents including me. I just have to either wait for my birthday in two weeks or get things myself.

Hits:

DD: Doll ice cream truck, which I modified to be able to convert to a mail truck as well. Thanks for the hive helpers on that!

Maker guy: 3D printer, the unexpected big gift. Smoke bombs - cool effects surprise. That toro flex thing someone here mentioned.

An airbrush compressor kit. DS (26) is over the moon.

The Sonos speaker that can replace an Echo. My audio guy has happy earballs. :D

And my big hit: DH flew my mom out to visit, I cried.

Only one miss: guy at the comic shop recommended a graphic novel and I picked it up for DS 13. Oh, ouch. Not appropriate content. It really looked like DS’s kind of thing, he’s just going to have wait till he’s much older.

• Like 10

The Amazon-fu was weak in Alaska and more than 50% of the gifts were some form of IOUs.  But, the kids were pretty funny about it. DD bought me a pair of sheepskin lined gloves that didn't arrive so she wrapped a pair of regular gloves inside an old baby lamby and tied it with a big ribbon. Several people got pictures of their items with silly notes.  My son 'loaned' my his kitchen scale until mine arrives.  Lots of silliness so it was fun.

DS who requested gum - and underwear - received gum - and underwear- in his stocking.  Everyone else received a pair or two of socks in their stocking.  Since he received no socks, he borrowed someone else's stocking, and along with his stocking, wore them on his feet for part of the day so he had new 'socks' too.

Same ds works as both a gymnastics and skating coach.  He got a t-shirt that said, "Don't make me use my coach's voice!"  He's excited to wear that to work! 

Older ds got a spaetzle maker so he can make it at home instead of coming to my house for it.  Usually I use spaetzle as an incentive to change my tires winter/spring.  I probably should have thought that through a little better.  ;) 

DH who is overseas skyped with everyone s it was a nice, low-key Christmas.  Nice people. Good food.  And, best part is the kids do all of the clean-up!

• Like 9

Hits:

DD: Doll ice cream truck, which I modified to be able to convert to a mail truck as well. Thanks for the hive helpers on that!

Maker guy: 3D printer, the unexpected big gift. Smoke bombs - cool effects surprise. That toro flex thing someone here mentioned.

An airbrush compressor kit. DS (26) is over the moon.

The Sonos speaker that can replace an Echo. My audio guy has happy earballs. :D

And my big hit: DH flew my mom out to visit, I cried.

Only one miss: guy at the comic shop recommended a graphic novel and I picked it up for DS 13. Oh, ouch. Not appropriate content. It really looked like DS’s kind of thing, he’s just going to have wait till he’s much older.

Did they pull it off without you knowing at all?  :)

Lego BB-8s were the big hit for my two oldest.  The third loved her Lego batman set.  The littlest loves his first remote control car thingy.  

The kids enjoyed getting pokemon booster packs, but unfortunately none of them had any real WOW! cards.  

My biggest gift was my two oldest washing dishes between courses at our meal.  I asked them to do it for me the day before as I was planning, and when the time came, they hopped right up and got to work with no hint of whining and no difficulties working as a team so that the salad plates were ready for dessert after the meal.  :-)  Oh, and I got the third's hair into a Princess Leia crown braid... that was basically a Christmas present to myself as well.  :-D  

ETA:  Misses were playmobil sets.  My MIL routinely gets playmobil, and she is not mentally able to grasp that we are a LEGO family.  :-)  They still get played with, but as soon as they break and pieces are lost, no one cares enough to rebuild them and they end up in the trash.  Some years she buys books and those are hits, I should suggest that early on next year.  

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 1