Menu

My mom passed away.

StaceyinLA

Good Friday morning we lost my mom. Her decline last week was rapid, and the hospice nurse told us Thursday she would be surprised if she made it through the night. She passed Friday morning around 7:25. Everyone got to say their goodbyes and have private time with her on Thursday. She was in that deep, unconscious state, but I know she could hear us and knew we were all there. She knew she was loved dearly, and I'm hoping that is what gave her the strength to let go.

I am a little sad that I wasn't actually there when she passed on; two of my sisters stayed and the rest of us left because her vitals had actually improved over about 4 hours, and we were thinking we might need to take shifts. Luckily, I am only about 4 miles from the nursing home, and was able to get back there in less than 10 minutes. Hospice came and stayed with us and we were able to be with her until the funeral home came.

My kids all saw her Thursday and all got to be with her alone. I have to say the most heartbreaking thing in the world is seeing your kids in pain. My mom has lived on our place for 17 years and my children saw her EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Every night for at least 10 years, at least one of my children slept over at her house with her. They are hurting, and it breaks my heart.

I do have to add how impressed I am with the care my mom had. The nursing home staff was amazing. She had some extremely devoted aides and nurses. All the fears I had about her being in a nursing home were unfounded. We were so pleased with the care she was shown.

Hospice is amazing! Those people have a special gift to do what they do, and they walk you through everything with such tenderness. All in all, we have felt very peaceful with everything.

Her funeral will be Thursday. I think the most frustrating thing we have dealt with is the difficulty surrounding planning a Catholic funeral around Easter. It is hard to wait so long to lay her to rest.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very glad you had a good nursing home and hospice. Hospice is so very wonderful. My Mom had a good nursing home as well and hospice. Like you, I wasn't there when my Mom died (we had to return home - a 14 hour car trip away), but I had been lucky enough to have been by her side for 2 weeks. She knew she was loved, as did your Mom. It is so very hard when one's parents die. I know it is tender times now for you and your children. Go well and may the peace that passes all understanding be yours.  :grouphug:

Stacy, I am so sorry for your loss.  I was with both of my grandmothers when they passed and my dad has passed away also.  I was in my mid 20's and had to be the one responsible for making life support decisions, my father had already passed, my parents were divorced and my brother was still a minor.  My family was there and so were her sisters, but ultimately it fell on my shoulders.  It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.  The hurt will subside although will always be there.  It has had an influence on who I am and has helped to put a lot of things into perspective as well as giving me the confidence to know that I can handle most things that are thrown my with with God's help.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for your loss and glad she isn't suffering anymore. Even when it is merciful it is still so bittersweet to lose a loved one.

:grouphug:

Good Friday morning we lost my mom. Her decline last week was rapid, and the hospice nurse told us Thursday she would be surprised if she made it through the night. She passed Friday morning around 7:25. Everyone got to say their goodbyes and have private time with her on Thursday. She was in that deep, unconscious state, but I know she could hear us and knew we were all there. She knew she was loved dearly, and I'm hoping that is what gave her the strength to let go.

I am a little sad that I wasn't actually there when she passed on; two of my sisters stayed and the rest of us left because her vitals had actually improved over about 4 hours, and we were thinking we might need to take shifts. Luckily, I am only about 4 miles from the nursing home, and was able to get back there in less than 10 minutes. Hospice came and stayed with us and we were able to be with her until the funeral home came.

My kids all saw her Thursday and all got to be with her alone. I have to say the most heartbreaking thing in the world is seeing your kids in pain. My mom has lived on our place for 17 years and my children saw her EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Every night for at least 10 years, at least one of my children slept over at her house with her. They are hurting, and it breaks my heart.

I do have to add how impressed I am with the care my mom had. The nursing home staff was amazing. She had some extremely devoted aides and nurses. All the fears I had about her being in a nursing home were unfounded. We were so pleased with the care she was shown.

Hospice is amazing! Those people have a special gift to do what they do, and they walk you through everything with such tenderness. All in all, we have felt very peaceful with everything.

Her funeral will be Thursday. I think the most frustrating thing we have dealt with is the difficulty surrounding planning a Catholic funeral around Easter. It is hard to wait so long to lay her to rest.

I am so sorry. What a sad time for you all.

I agree hospice is amazing.

Prayers, many prayers for you and your family!!! Your post gave me goosebumps in many ways!!! Yes, I bet it is frustrating to have to wait for the funeral arrangements... BUT, your mom went to be with the Lord on Good Friday!!! When we were remembering His death!! Mother Angelica, a very devout Catholic, also passed that day. To go home with the Lord on the day we are commemorating His death just gives me goosebumps. Will pray for all of you, and specially for your children, how hard it must be!!