Menu

He passed away last night

funschooler5

We didn't expect it to happen so soon. Looking back, I can see he was rapidly declining. I want to thank those that worried about me being able to take care of him at home. Had we tried to move him yesterday like we planned, he could have gone on the ambulance ride home. As it was, his family came to see him. My youngest three got to say goodbye, even though they thought they'd see him again tomorrow. They don't know yet. My parents took them home yesterday, and when I called my mom last night I told her to wait until I could tell them when we come home today. MIL, DD15 and are in a hotel because we didn't want to drive last night.

Dd15 wanted to stay, and so she saw him until the very end, which was hard for her but I think she's glad she stayed. At one point he hugged her and said they'd do something fun when he got better, which broke our hearts. He was very delusional at the end, but wasn't in pain.

Right now I'm feeling a tremendous amount of guilt. I was staying all day and night at the hospital until the last several days when I started coming home to be with the kids. If I'd known it was going to happen this fast I would have stayed with him. Also a few days ago he texted me really early in the morning and told me to call him because he was feeling panicky. I got it 1/2 hr after he texted and texted back if it was ok to still call (I didn't want to wake him up if he'd fallen asleep because at that point he had terrible insomnia). He didn't answer and I could see on my phone that he hasn't read the text or the following one so I went back to sleep thinking he'd fallen asleep. I guess he called his mom though, and the nurse gave him an antidepressant. Why didn't I just call? I was too tired and feeding the baby back to sleep. I should've talked to him. He was all alone, an hour away from his family.

And a lady called me last night about organ donation. Even though his liver and kidneys were bad, they could still use his corneas and heart valves, and a few other things. Several years ago before he got diagnosed we were talking about organ donation because I had that marked on the back of my lisence and he didn't. He said he didn't want to donate. I told the lady to call me back and I talked to MIL and DD because I think his mind might have changed about that because of his need for a liver. They thought it was a good thing to do, and so do I but I don't know for sure if it was what he would've wanted. I let them have his heart valves and part of his heart because she said a lot of times heart valves go to little kids with heart problems and I think he would've like that. And corneas aren't too invasive and could make a blind person see. And so I said no to some other things to compromise and yes to those. But now I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not. I just felt like something good should come out of this.

I so appreciate the support and the PMs especially from those who have lost their husbands. I have my family but I also feel very alone.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart is breaking for you and your family. Please please please do not feel guilty! This situation is more than anyone should have to endure.....you are nursing a baby and have 3 other kids! You were an excellent, loyal, loving wife and care giver. Your dh was fortunate to have such love and care in his life.

(((((Hugs))))

I am so sorry for your loss and that of your children. I will continue to pray for your family. God bless you, for giving permission for the things that can be transplanted into other people. One of my friends received a Kidney transplant, some years ago. Donors are wonderful.

There are no magic words for me to write to you. My father passed away when he was 41. My mother was 36, I was 6.

Please take it one day at a time, stay calm, and do the best you can, for yourself and your children.

I am sending you gentle hugs, from Colombia.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

May love and good memories carry you through this agonizing time and the days to come.

Please forgive youself and let go of the guilt. You did what you thought was best at the time and you acted with love.

:grouphug: I am so sorry, I would give you a hug and a shoulder to cry on if I were there. There are no easy decisions, please let go of the guilt. Your dd will always remember being there with her dad and it will always be bitter sweet. I was a freshman in college when I stayed with my mom and grandmother when my grandmother passed away and once again I was with my family a few years later when my other grandmother passed away. It still hurts and I wouldn't have it any other way. i didn't have the opportunity to be with my dad when he passed.

I will pray for peace and guidance for you and your family in the coming days weeks and months.

:grouphug:

I am so sorry. I agree about trying not to feel guilty. I think in some ways when someone knows they are going to die, they can sense when they are alone and let go then. My mom was in a very similar situation when my dad died. She was with him day and night and went home to take a shower, that's when he died. You were there for him as much as you possibly could be and he knew that.