Menu

If you are up tonight, can I ask for prayers?

K is in crisis right now (long history of mental illness) and we had an ugly confrontation tonight.  I am deeply worried about her and afraid for her safety.  She left the house (supposedly to work)  and we called the local crisis line for advice.  We are hoping we can convince her to voluntarily talk to the mobile crisis unit to get her some help. She has a deep distrust for mental health professionals, police, her parents ... I don't want go into the history with her on this forum, but we have felt stuck between a rock and hard place with her for quite some time.  

The best outcome would be for her to agree to get some help.  

UPDATE :

Sorry I couldn't update sooner.  I didn't have access to my login from my phone.

Late last night, she texted that she was doing better and staying the night with a friend.  At least she was still alive.  

Today, while I was at work and dh was home, she came back to get some stuff and was going to stay with this friend and her mother who were "going to help her since we failed."  She was pretty ugly about it.  She's delusional right now, partly from her mental illness, and exacerbated by some inappropriately prescribed meds from someone who doesn't know her full history.  K is brilliant and likely snowed her with some well-researched story to get what she wants.  But in her state, she did a lousy job of packing and left behind some important stuff.  

In some way, I am relieved that (1), she is still alive, and (2), she isn't under our roof (I feel so burnt out, yet so guilty for feeling this way.)  But we are mostly numb ... this 10 year long roller coaster has meant that we have had to find some emotional detachment.  I never thought I'd be feeling like this.  

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your support, prayers, and good thoughts.  I'm struggling with prayer as I begged God during Easter Mass yesterday morning for mercy and healing and this gut punch was the answer ... yet again.  

I will post more details at the Parents of dc with Mental Health Issues club.  

UPDATE 2:  She's back.

I had just gotten around to resigning myself to the situation, hoping that distance could be a good thing, and comforting myself with all the things I can feel comfortable doing without her in the house.  The last evening, she walked in the door  and "apologized."  I didn't "gray rock" and asked her what her plans were.  She said she found a therapist, but this person is "on vacation".  She plans to get a job to "become independent."  We talked about a couple more things, but she didn't make eye contact, then took the dog for a walk.  She and dh had a conversation.  Later in the evening, dh pulled me aside and told me of their conversation ... that K doesn't plan to take any of my advice and can't wait to get herself together so she can "get out of here."  

So, she's back.  I'm back to being as benign as possible.  Dh is going to lay down some ground rules.  We will see.  The turmoil continues ...

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
update
  • Like 3
  • Sad 63