Menu

Mayonnaise with French Fries

mom31257

Mayonnaise with French Fries  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you or any of your family members eat mayo as the condiment with French fries?

• Yes, usually
    • Yes, sometimes
    • No, tried it and don't like it
    • No, but never tried it
    • Other, please explain

Help me satisfy my curiosity. Ds loves mayo with French fries, tater tots, etc. His friends at college tease him greatly over this, but surely he isn't alone. 

I don't like mayo by itself, so I don't partake in this delicacy. LOL!

Do any of you or your family members use mayo in the same way? 

I’ve seen people do this. It definitely is not super strange.

However, I have an aversion to mayo and while I can eat it now in small quantities in certain dishes I cannot sit at a table with someone doing this. So I would excuse myself. But that is a me problem and I wouldn’t call him out. But I am grown 😉

• Like 1

I love mayonnaise, but wouldn’t put it on fries unless it’s served with the meal as a condiment for something else (meaning, I don’t get it out or request it for the fries, but I’ll happily dip them in it if both are served together). Tartar sauce is good on fries too, usually alongside a crab cake sandwich. 😋

• Like 1

I sometimes eat mayo with my fries and it was always my condiment of choice for BK fries, just as S&S sauce is for McD'd fries and chocolate Frosty is for Wendy's fries. 😁

I don't eat as many fast food fries now that I am gluten-free, but mayo is a great choice for dipping fries alone or mixed 1/2+1/2 with ketchup.

• Like 2

My boys stuff friend fries into their burgers usually. If they are done with their burgers and eating only fries, they would have fun dipping them into whatever dip is available. They like eating poutines anyway and that has all kinds of gravy on fries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, easypeasy said:

My kids all like to dip their fries into chocolate shakes though, which also makes me 🤢. Lol

Well, clearly you are correct and your kids are wrong. Obviously, they should be dipping their fries in a vanilla milkshake! (It's obviously the perfect hangover food and delicious even without a hangover.)

Normally, though, I just use ketchup. Sometimes ketchup and mayo mixed, but never mayo by itself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I was in college, I had a work partner for a few months who dipped her fries in mayo. I thought it sounded awful, but she convinced me to try it. I really really like it. I don't care for ketchup on fries. However, I rarely do it, because I guess I don't have the courage to ask for mayo in public in places where I have never seen anyone else eat them that way, lol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Well, clearly you are correct and your kids are wrong. Obviously, they should be dipping their fries in a vanilla milkshake! (It's obviously the perfect hangover food and delicious even without a hangover.)

Normally, though, I just use ketchup. Sometimes ketchup and mayo mixed, but never mayo by itself.

Yes, fries and milkshake are obviously made for each other.

• Like 2

I had never heard of this until college, when a friend who grew up in Germany introduced me to the idea. I've loved it ever since. I tend to put some ketchup and some mayo side by side and swipe my fries through both.

But I also love mayo in general.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SKL said:

My first thought was, "oh dear."

My second thought was, "but my kid likes ranch dressing on pizza, so ...."

Well, that's because ranch on pizza is delicious, and really, it's a requirement if the pizza is just cheese or pepperoni or something boring like that. It's not as necessary if one has "fancy" pizza like spinach & feta, multi-cheese, lots of veggies, or hawaiian.

• Like 1

I like mayo (mayo not Miracle Whip) on chicken burger (except Chick-Fil-A style) and sometimes on regular burgers but not as a condiment that you dip things in. Oh, I also like cold salads like pasta salad and potato salad that are mayo based.

I grew up where fry sauce (mix of ketchup and mayo) was common. So I don't find mayo on fries strange, it's just not my thing.

I'm allergic to tomato so no ketchup for me unless I make my nomato ketchup. Usually I eat fries plain.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I understand not liking the taste of something. I don’t understand being adverse to someone else eating it. 

I don't like bananas. I have never eaten one, to my knowledge. Even when I was a baby, my mom couldn't get me to eat them. I don't know if adverse is the correct word, but I don't even like to be around other people eating them. That's because they smell disgusting (to me, obviously). Apparently my FOO can't smell them, because they maintain bananas don't smell. They are wrong. And I strongly dislike even the smell. 

However, I fully acknowledge that others don't feel the same way and don't say anything to them. I even buy them for our family. I just...don't like being around when they are eaten. 

Sorry, OP, for the tangent.

• Like 3

I remember being horrified by seeing a friend dip her fries in chocolate milk. We were in 6th grade and I was having lunch at her house. 

Since then I've come to see that people eat lots of foods and combinations of food I'm not familiar with. I've still never felt the need to combine my fries with cold milk (or a shake) but I get that it's not uncommon. And I love chocolate-covered potato chips! So salty potatoes and chocolate is a thing for sure.

Food freedom is a beautiful thing! 😀  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I understand not liking the taste of something. I don’t understand being adverse to someone else eating it. 

Yeah it is a literal gag reflex. But like I said it is a me problem. I would just excuse myself. I don’t know why I am like this. I wish I was not. My family ate mayo growing up and when it was my job to clear the table it was awful when we had sandwiches. Wiping the edges of the mayo container to put the lid on and then taking care of the knife or spatula that had been used was really awful for me. I don’t know why! In high school I got a job at Burger King and having to deal with the big industrial size containers of mayo on the line helped get me over my extreme issues because I just had to deal every day so it was aversion therapy I guess. I would still get super grossed out if someone ordered extra extra mayo on a sandwich or if there was a big spill to be cleaned up. When I first started working there I frequently got sandwiches returned for not having enough mayo. 

So, for whatever reason, I have strong feelings about mayo. I don’t claim them to be rational and I wish I didn’t have them. I definitely don’t expect anyone else to deal with them and anyone else can eat all the mayo they want. Just maybe I’ll have to catch up with them for dessert. 

It is very rude to comment on others food preferences but I am not surprised college guys as I think OP is referring to have not yet refined their manners in this way 🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yeah it is a literal gag reflex. But like I said it is a me problem. I would just excuse myself. I don’t know why I am like this. I wish I was not. My family ate mayo growing up and when it was my job to clear the table it was awful when we had sandwiches. Wiping the edges of the mayo container to put the lid on and then taking care of the knife or spatula that had been used was really awful for me. I don’t know why! In high school I got a job at Burger King and having to deal with the big industrial size containers of mayo on the line helped get me over my extreme issues because I just had to deal every day so it was aversion therapy I guess. I would still get super grossed out if someone ordered extra extra mayo on a sandwich or if there was a big spill to be cleaned up. When I first started working there I frequently got sandwiches returned for not having enough mayo. 

So, for whatever reason, I have strong feelings about mayo. I don’t claim them to be rational and I wish I didn’t have them. I definitely don’t expect anyone else to deal with them and anyone else can eat all the mayo they want. Just maybe I’ll have to catch up with them for dessert. 

It is very rude to comment on others food preferences but I am not surprised college guys as I think OP is referring to have not yet refined their manners in this way 🙂

I feel like this when others cook fish around me. Involuntary bodily reaction. I have had to leave the room on occasion.

• Like 1

Never tried or and probably never will. I might even go so far as a joke about a person eating fries with mayo. I feel bad even saying that. I just can't imagine how the texture of mayo would be good on fries. Sorry. I feel for your ds, as it can be tough to be teased. Hopefully his friends are doing it in a friendly way, as guys often do.

I'm more of a salt-only on my fries person, unless it's poutine. Then I'm psyched up enough to go all-in on the weird textures on my fries. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, marbel said:

I remember being horrified by seeing a friend dip her fries in chocolate milk. We were in 6th grade and I was having lunch at her house. 

Since then I've come to see that people eat lots of foods and combinations of food I'm not familiar with. I've still never felt the need to combine my fries with cold milk (or a shake) but I get that it's not uncommon. And I love chocolate-covered potato chips! So salty potatoes and chocolate is a thing for sure.

Food freedom is a beautiful thing! 😀  

Total tangent on the salty-with-chocolate theme:

The scouts in my group have developed a taste for hotdog-water hot-chocolate.  A recipe born from efficiency on the trail:  boil hotdogs (because they can cook lots at once this way), then use the water to make hot-chocolate (from powder mix), so as not to waste water, and also not have to wait to boil fresh water.  Sounds absolutely disgusting, right?  But it's actually pretty good.  The salt and oil from the hotdogs adds a certain umami and mouth feel to the hot chocolate that's really good! And it doesn't tast like hotdogs at all.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, wathe said:

Total tangent on the salty-with-chocolate theme:

The scouts in my group have developed a taste for hotdog-water hot-chocolate.  A recipe born from efficiency on the trail:  boil hotdogs (because they can cook lots at once this way), then use the water to make hot-chocolate (from powder mix), so as not to waste water, and also not have to wait to boil fresh water.  Sounds absolutely disgusting, right?  But it's actually pretty good.  The salt and oil from the hotdogs adds a certain umami and mouth feel to the hot chocolate that's really good! And it doesn't tast like hotdogs at all.

Out in the open air, with limited food options, and the need for speed and efficiency in cooking can lead to lots of weird and sometimes wonderful combinations of foods and tastes. 😅 I developed a love of oatmeal made with blueberry soup while living and camping a lot in Norway. Same reason as the hotdogs and hot chocolate - need for speed and lack of water (often using snow to make breakfast). 

• Like 2