Menu

Have you caught Covid at any point?

sassenach

Have you caught Covid at any point in the last 2 years?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Have you caught covid?

• No, I'm dodging bullets like Neo
    • Yes, once
    • Yes, more than once
    • Maybe? Unconfirmed but suspicious/presumed illness

I don't know.

I was very sick for six weeks at the start of 2020.  But antibody tests (which might have been outside of the testing window) were negative for Covid.

Since getting vaccinated and boosted,  I have not had specific Covid symptoms.  But I have fibro.  I don't notice body aches unless they are accompanied by something else because I have body aches every day.  I might not even notice a low fever.  (I often don't know if I have a mild flu until people in my household get it too). 

• Like 1

Never delta. I had a cold last fall that returned several negative tests. 

But there’s no way to know if I ever had an asymptomatic case. Every test I’ve taken over the past two years has been negative. It’s possible I had no symptoms with an unknown exposure thus no reason to test at a time that may have produced a positive. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

Early on in 2020 DS had covid toes. I was the only person in our house who had left the house in the 4-6 weeks prior; I worked in a small office with just my boss who was a covid denier and refused to take any precautions, so presumably I picked it up from him and brought it home. DH and I might have had extremely mild symptoms (realized in retrospect), but weren’t tested because that wasn’t being done yet for non- respiratory symptoms or contact tracing purposes.

If I ever had it, it was asymptomatic.  Everyone in my household has had it as well as most of my friends.  I have been exposed several times.  A handful of times, very exposed.  I PCR tested negative 5-7 days after all known exposures.  So I am either super-immune or had it with no symptoms at some random time.  I live in a area with less than 50% vaccination rate and almost no masking so every time I leave the house, I have to assume I am exposed. 

33 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'm probably jinxing myself but we seem to be nearly at the other end of this omicron wave and we managed not to catch this thing. I'm curious about how common or uncommon that is.

Yep. My sister's family got it in September. My parents are just getting over it. But somehow we've avoided it.

No, and since I have asthma,I’m trying like mad not to!

I’m sure it’s in my future, but am actually more concerned about my dd who has a bunch of autoimmune issues, and is more likely to have long Covid. I feel like we are all standing on the edge of a canyon, just waiting to be pushed into the abyss. 

Edited by I talk to the trees
Misplaced punctuation
  • Sad 1

No one in my immediate family of 4.  Or either senior grandparent either.  All are vaxxed/boosted.  

That said my daughter had a minor cold after possible exposure and tested negative.  My son had a couple colds in the fall after exposure on his college campus and tested negative.  He just tested negative a couple weeks ago after very direct exposure.  DH and I had a minor bug in December for a few days, he tested and was negative.  So it is possible we had something in there but who knows.

Our family had it about 3 weeks ago.  We wouldn't have ever considered getting tested if our symptoms hadn't happened in the middle of a wave so that we got tested - all of us feel worse with allergies every year since it was pretty much a 24-48 hour cold for us.  I could see how a lot of people would miss it.  We know people who were positive in job site screening who were completely asymptomatic despite having positive PCR and antigen tests...if that happens often, then a lot more people have had it than we know about.  But, in that family, another adult also works in health care and is screened routinely and never got it despite their spouse having it in the fall and one of their teens having it a year ago (when nobody else got it).  

• Like 2

No idea.

Our family was incredibly ill at the start of 2020, after one member returned home from international travel. It wasn’t strep or flu, but it was bad. Very bad. Round the clock breathing treatments for asthmatic kids, alternating tylenol and ibuprofen for high fevers, and every single one of us had 4 - 6 separate doc visits over 6 weeks, several of us had to be treated for pneumonia before it was over (no X-rays, just treated proactively based on symptoms). Symptoms sure looked like Covid, in hindsight. 

Other than that, we have dodged it—we think. We have multiple chronic illnesses here, and there are often low grade fevers, sick days, body aches, migraines, fatigue, sore throats and coughing. Plus allergies. It’s entirely possible that we’ve had mild cases and chalked it up to our usual crud.

None of us have had it unless we had no symptoms. Most of the five of us have home tested a couple of times and both dc have had PCR tests a time or two, but never any positives. My doctor ordered an antibody test for me in June of 2020 because I had been sick in March, when it all started, and had a lingering cough but it was negative. 

We haven’t been as careful since our second shot (and now we’re all boosted). We do wear masks out, but we visit with friends and family indoors and no masks and we eat inside restaurants. Still no Covid though. We had made peace with getting it but we’ve been lucky. 

Not me, not husband, not either of the two still-launching nearly-grown kids who've cycled in and out of the house throughout the pandemic.  (And we've tested frequently enough through the Omicron wave that we'd likely catch asymptomatic cases).

My eldest did get probably-Delta in early Sept 2021 which was wholly asymptomatic and which she only knew about because she was testing "just to be sure" before visiting an octogenarian.

We were Very Careful about exposure prior to vaccination. Since vaccination/booster, we've dialed back and forth between Reasonably Balanced and Oy Vey Back to More Careful Le Sigh depending on conditions.  We canceled a bunch of longed-for plans over the holidays and buttoned back down. But now that hospitals in my area are past the overburdened point and the still-launching nearly-grown kids have returned to their launching pads, my husband and I are starting to meet up with small gatherings with RAT beforehand, venturing into IRL stores, stuff like that. 

And so long as Omicron is still circulating, which it is, I expect that it's only a matter of time. So long as the hospitals are OK and we don't transmit to the octos in our life, that's going to have to be enough.

• Like 1

Yes, my entire immediate family of 6 came down with what we're assuming was omicron about a month ago. It took a few of us several weeks to shake all the lingering symptoms. 

We're the only ones in our extended family to get it. We don't do many higher risk activities, we work from home, we always mask as does 99.9% of the public in our area, plus we're all double vacc'ed. We got it at the same time we were getting our booster shots. 

• Sad 1

4/5 of our family have had it. I had it last February and gave it to my 13 year old who was asymptomatic. The 11 and 9 year had what we assume was the delta variant last July both were sick for a day.

My husband has been tested 20ish  times in the past 18 months and as far as we know has never had covid. He has been working in the office and going about life normally. We actually wonder if he had an asymptomatic case and gave it to me since I seemed to have gotten it out of no where. 

I voted no, but I suppose it's possible I had a mild case at some point and just didn't happen to test at the right moment. 

I've had a day or two here and there over the last two years when I had what felt like normal cold symptoms. I've been tested a few times, both official lab ones and home versions, when I was potentially symptomatic and/or when I had been exposed, but have come up negative every time.

At this point, my husband and I are the only ones in our close circle who have not (as far as we know) had it yet. 

Only one immediate member of the family definitely got COVID in Dec 2020.  He got it from our bonus son, who got it from his father who got it from his then girlfriend (and slept at our home during that time).  My oldest bunked with the sick brother  above and PCR tested almost every day during and after the illness and didn't get sick.  However since he left home in Feb 2021 he got horribly sick which I believe was COVID but he didn't test.

I *think* the other three kids (including the oldest above) in the family got it in March 2020 right after my husband came home from Japan where he hung out with the Israeli/Jewish passengers from the Diamond Princess ship that was stranded in Yokohama while the COVID explosion happened on-board (our best friends are the Chief Rabbi of Japan who provided food, supplies, and support for those on-board as well as those let off the ship).  The kids has slight off and on fevers and a dry cough.  At that time they wouldn't test my children even though there was almost 100% certainty about their  catching it.   I have never tested positive nor my husband.  Our family have tested over 50 times by PCR and rapid.  My husband, through his university, got tested several times a week last year.  They don't test this much this year though.  

Edited by YaelAldrich

Adding: MANY of our friends and extended family members got Omicron.  All vaxxed, most boostered, all masking in public spaces, most at least reasonably cautious about exposure. Of the lot, only one hospitalized, and her only for a few days.  So OTOH we count ourselves as having beaten the odds of transmission, OTO that vaccination definitely seems to protect against the odds of the most adverse outcomes, on the third hand that however "done" we are with this thing, this thing is not "done" with us. 

So, we'll keep on using the tools we have in the toolbox. Wearily, grumpily, and mighty grateful to have them.

• Like 3

Hey just in case someone needs to read this….

Just because *I* haven’t had it, doesn’t mean it’s not real and not something to be careful about. We’ve had to shutter business for a few days here and there due to ill employees. We’ve lost two employees (death) from covid. I lost two relatives, one elderly, one not. Another hospitalized for some time. Please don’t use the limited sample size polling in this thread to prove a point, kwim?

Ok sorry, just felt this needed saying. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

Not to my knowledge. I have been sick 3x and tested negative 4x. My illnesses have followed my usual pattern ~ seasonal allergies, sinus infection, bronchitis, which happens about 3x a year, every year. 

Each of the times I’ve been sick, I’ve had no known exposure to Covid (although with Omicron it doesn’t take much.) I am double vaccinated, but not yet boostered due to scheduling issues. I’m planning on getting my booster shot next week. 

My middle and youngest son both had it the summer of 2020. They were at their dad’s that week and got it from him. He got them for the week, knowing he was sick, AND had friends of my kids over to his house. Knowing he was sick. He didn’t test until right before I was due to get them back and two of them had gotten sick as well. I still took them back and they isolated and wore masks to go to the bathroom, etc.  My mom, my sister, my oldest, and myself all avoided getting it from them. We were living with my mom then. 

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Adding: MANY of our friends and extended family members got Omicron.  All vaxxed, most boostered, all masking in public spaces, most at least reasonably cautious about exposure. Of the lot, only one hospitalized, and her only for a few days.  So OTOH we count ourselves as having beaten the odds of transmission, OTO that vaccination definitely seems to protect against the odds of the most adverse outcomes, on the third hand that however "done" we are with this thing, this thing is not "done" with us. 

So, we'll keep on using the tools we have in the toolbox. Wearily, grumpily, and mighty grateful to have them.

Oh golly, so many of our friends and acquaintances have gotten Omicron.  But many of them were not cautious, quite the opposite!  But of course the cautious ones got swept up in the Omicron waves.  One got sick (adult caught COVID from his school aged son) enough several doctor friends begged him to go to the hospital but he recovered with MABs and antivirals at home.  One family is struggling now.  The son (masked with an KF-94) got it from a substitute teacher (unmasked etc).  The son gave it to his mother and father (severe cardiac issues) and he might have to go in the hospital.  The twin sister of the boy has life-threatening neuro and cardiac issues and if she gets it, could be in dire trouble.  The young boy (10) is depressed and anguished he brought a potentially deadly illness to his family.

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Sad 8

2 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Hey just in case someone needs to say this….

Just because *I* haven’t had it, doesn’t mean it’s not real and not something to be careful about. We’ve had to shutter business for a few days here and there due to I’ll employees. We’ve lost two employees (death) from covid. I lost two relatives, one elderly, one not. Another hospitalized for some time. Please don’t use the limited sample size polling in this thread to prove a point, kwim?

Ok sorry, just felt this needed saying. 

I agree.  And even though I haven't had it (that I know of), I've known many many many people who have.  Most have not actually admitted to having had it until well after they were better so it's not always talked about openly. Don't necessarily base your determination of how prevalent it is from what you think you know about your community either.

• Like 8

One of my daughters and one of my housemates has not caught it AFAWK (no symptoms and no positive tests).  The other 3 of us had symptoms & 2 had positive tests in early January 2022.

We had just been traveling internationally, so we were around a lot of people, sometimes for extended time periods.  Maybe we wouldn't have gotten it if we hadn't traveled.  But with the kids in public school, it was always an accepted possibility.

AFAIK the majority of my close family members have not had Covid.  I know of 2 siblings out of 5 who had it in their households (one vaccinated and one not, fwiw).

I voted no, meaning not to the best of my knowledge.

Dh, 1 son, 1 daughter, both sisters, niece and nephew, and my mom all have. Plus the older relatives who died with it in the early days. Many, many friends and acquaintances. 
But Dh has been my only direct contact until he started showing symptoms and I locked him away.  I avoid people as much as my life allows. 

4 of my household of 5 have tested positive once. The fifth had something that sure looked like Covid a couple of weeks ago, but I did not have him tested. We have taken precisely zero precautions. My three high school boys are in school--unmasked even; we go to a church that is wide open; my and my husband's offices never closed; we dine out. It has been completely worth the few days of mild symptoms to live an almost- normal life. My two bonus kids are vaccinated only because their home country required it for them to go home at Christmas, but one of them had COVID last January, well before he was vaxxed; the other is the one I think had covid a couple of weeks ago. None of the rest of us is vaccinated. 

I strongly suspect I had it early on in 2020. I visited friends who had had "the worst throat virus of their entire lives." They were still symptomatic. We got together because of the amazing serendipity of being in the same state at the same time, and because they were on the tail end of their illness. We didn't know about covid yet. Or the other possibility is that ds gave it to me--his entire peer group had "some virus" while on a spring break trip together. We were in the car for hours and he was coughing actively.

Either way, I got sick, too. It followed the standard covid progression, including invading my lungs, plus a mild skin rash and an eye infection at the tail end. I've never felt that particular pain--though my illness was mild (I was walking, moving about the house, etc.), I could feel every inch of my lungs for every breath when I was in the middle of it. I begged for testing, but it was not available to anyone who had had no international contacts or who was not ill enough to be hospitalized.

I wonder if I had it in August of 2021 again. My test was negative, but I needed an inhaler for three weeks. Though I have mild asthma, I've never in my life relied on an inhaler for weeks on end. I have always wondered if I should have tested again.

No. My husband and children haven't either, and nor has my mother - waiting for a test as there is Covid in her care home. Three of my four siblings have had it - one in Brazil in the early days, one brought home from school by her kids, one probably an unlucky open-air transmission. 

Nope, Thankful that not one person in my family has had covid.    My daughter got contact traced once at school but didn't have any symptoms.  I was glad when she decided she had enough and decided to homeschool.  

Edited by lynn

No to the best of my knowledge I have not had it and neither have my kids.  We have tested everything we have had any possible symptoms.  DH did test positive on a random screening the rest of us tested negative that week. 

We have done some travel, oldest is in public school and DH is a critical worker so it's not like we have been locked up.  

Adding - No one in my household has had it. We've had extended family get it and I have a few friends who had it. All were vaccinated and therefore had mild cases. One was positive but asymptomatic and tested because of exposure to someone who later tested positive.

I think sometimes if you're vaccinated, getting Covid is a throw of the dice. I'm vaccinated, boosted, and wear my mask when I go out but I live in Florida. My area is full of anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers who could pass it on to me but so far haven't. I haven't had antibody testing but the thought that I could be asymptomatic at any time keeps me wearing a mask.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

I can't bring myself to answer this poll because it seems like it would be jinxing ourselves.  

Yep, I submitted and then it wouldn't let me take my answer back!  My daughter has had it, my sister, and BIL have had it twice.

Edited by melmichigan

Dodged up till now. Combo of low community transmission/lockdowns/keeping social circle small. 

Dd2 had it - childcare exposure. Separate household though. Vaccinated + boosted ( though only one mrna shot - clinically 'mild' but God, she's very unwell). 

I'm back in school, f2f, so anticipate if my luck is going to run out, it will run out this term. Dreading it, after seeing how it's affected dd2. 

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, lynn said:

Nope, Thankful that not one person in my family has had covid.    My daughter got contact traced once at school but didn't have any symptoms.  I was glad when she decided she had enough and decided to homeschool.  

We have been contact traced several times. But not caught it yet.

39 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

No, I'm one of these people 🤣

272275597_10165640583675447_9025396206269381625_n.jpg

🤣

I made it to 2022, but then got it about 2 weeks ago. My theory is that our patient zero caught it from neighborhood kids around the first week of January (simply because he came down with a sore throat about 3 days afterwards.) It then spread to my second child. I think I wound up catching it because the 2 were sick at the time. If only one had been, then I might have escaped. We are all double vaxxed/ boosted.

Since I work out of the house, live in a highly populated hot spot, and do the grocery shopping mostly in person, I would've have thought it would've hit our home sooner.

I should add that my exposure risk is high - working in an emergency department and directly caring for covid patients, many of whom are too sick to mask.    I am very thankful for my 3 doses of vaccine and PPE, and really good ventilation at work.  Without them, I'm sure I'd have had it by now, many times over.

• Like 5

Maybe? In the end of June 2020, I was sick. Fever (but not crazy high), extreme sore throat, extreme fatigue, crazy hot eyes (sounds nuts but I felt like I was shooting flames out of my eyes) and terrible muscle pain. It felt like someone was trying to rip my muscles off my bones. Took me 6 days to get a test. Made husband (who wasn't showing symptoms) get tested also. My test came back negative, his positive! Two months later, I asked my doctor to test me for antibodies. Also negative. So I don't know. I felt terrible and knew of other people with the similar symptoms who did test positive. I just don't know. 

I had to have some physical therapy in December, and lo and behold…I caught something. Pretty sure from the PT office.

It wasn’t bad. Like a moderate cold, not even a bad one. Mostly I felt much more tired than normal. I lost my sense of smell for a couple of days, but honestly I’ve had that happen before with a regular cold.

I took a single OTC test and it was negative, but that means nothing. If the viral load isn’t big enough, the tests are negative. It wasn’t worth it to me to keep testing and testing, so I didn’t. 

So, I figure the over-tired feeling and the loss of smell means it was probably covid, but I’m not 100% sure. Sometimes I tell myself, “Nah, it was just a cold,” but the odds are likely that it was covid.

No, but my younger kids have had it--one kid last April and two more in November. The youngest most likely had it too but never tested positive.

We seem to have dodged Omicron so far, maybe through a combination of vaccines, boosters, infection-acquired immunity, and the natural boost vaccinated household members got from being exposed in November? We're careful but there are nine of us, we are involved in our community, and almost no-one here masks or takes other precautions. I've honestly been surprised we haven't caught Omicron.