Menu

Have you caught Covid at any point?

sassenach

Have you caught Covid at any point in the last 2 years?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Have you caught covid?

• No, I'm dodging bullets like Neo
    • Yes, once
    • Yes, more than once
    • Maybe? Unconfirmed but suspicious/presumed illness

Unless it was so subtle it fit into one of those, “Allergies? Or Covid?” times, including when I returned home from Europe Feb 29, 2020, no. I have never had confirmed or strongly suspected Covid, even when dh was positive. Also, through the insane Christmas Omicron surge where I live and work, I was knowingly exposed a few times and possibly exposed a few other times but did not get it. 

Unless the mild cold I briefly had was covid, no.  But son with autism is probably due to get it - he lives with five other dudes, and no sooner did they get to the end of quarantine from one guy testing positive (just mild cold symptoms) than another dude tested positive.  So quarantine starts again.  Sigh.

• Sad 1

Not yet, but our ds just got sent home from college today because he tested positive. His very mild symptoms started Sunday evening and he doesn't even feel sick now.

Ds doesn't have a car, so dh went to get him since he has had the booster. They both wore masks in the car, but it was a 45 minute drive. I can't get mine yet. Ds was a week away from being able to get his booster. He is staying in his room and using the bathroom on that end of the house. I told him to wear a mask when he goes out. I got some supplements for him to take, and a nurse friend told me to get Crest mouthwash because they are seeing some good results from it. 

So we will see. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Almost certainly not. And I do not understand how I avoided it during that week when the entire flipping city got it before the holidays. Like, seriously, at least 1 in 10 people here had Covid that week. We were all exposed. BalletBoy was exposed over and over at Nutcracker. It's bonkers.

Also, I'll just report this conversation from that week.

My phone buzzes.
Me: Ooh, look, everyone, I have a Covid exposure alert on my phone. I've never gotten one of those! It's from 13 days ago and I've had a negative test since then, so I'm probably already in the clear, but huh. Interesting.
BalletBoy: You've never had one of those?
Me: No. Have you!?
BalletBoy: Oh, I get those practically every other day.
Me: Are you exaggerating?!?
BalletBoy: Not really.
😮

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 3

My 13 yo dd had it and dh and I did not even though we made no efforts to isolate her. I am with her all the time. We spend alot of time in the car and she rides up front with me in my little Corolla with the windows up. She likes to snuggle and by the time we knew she had it we didn’t figure there was any point in trying to avoid getting it but dh and I never did. I think she gave it to some girls in her dance class she was with for 90 minutes one night but never to dh and me?

My 18 yo was exposed over and over. He worked in a busy grocery store the whole pandemic and he was constantly being notified he worked closely with someone who tested positive (before vaccines) but he never got it. He lived (lives) in a crowded college dorm at a school taking nearly no precautions. He worked at the grocery store all winter break (in a non-masking anti-vax area) except when he traveled through major airports to attend a week long conference during this surge. I was sure he would bring it home to us but he did not. 

It doesn’t make sense.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2

No confirmed cases in our household.  Middle kid got sick in the fall of 2021 with something he picked up from training.  He tested negative on the rapid test, but was sick for about a week and a half with cold symptoms.  He was vaccinated but not boosted (not eligible at the time).  He stayed in his room and none of the rest of us picked it up.

I strongly suspect my DD may get it now that she is back at in person classes starting next week.  The campus has strict policies in place but people who went back to campus early have still gotten it.

13 hours ago, lewelma said:

I think I am the only person on this board who does not know a single person who has had covid. 

I assume it’s due to where you live. It seems unimaginable to me, especially after the Christmas Omicron surge. For a few weeks there, it was feeling like it was more efficient to list people who *didnt* have Covid. 

• Like 5

We had a college kid who came home at the start in 2020 who was pretty sick for 15 days. No tests were available then, doctor (who would not see her) advised us it was probably COVID, but we still don't know.  No one else in the house got sick. 

Another offspring tested positive after exposure at a mandatory meeting (followed by a party!) at work in Dec 2020. No symptoms except much later sense of smell was 'off'. Roommates stayed healthy. 

But we don't have to go many places. My risk budget is mostly spent on church.  My oldest cuts my hair. Grocery shopping is a mission not a casual stroll to see if there is anything else we need/want. Casual shopping is rare and only done when numbers are low. DH has worked from home most of the time. When local numbers increase, work sends them home again. 

So for us, we've been able to live a pretty safe, socially distanced, mostly masked lifestyle.  Which is nice because we live in a region of the country where most act like COVID isn't a thing, masks are the government trying to control us and remove our personality, we need to get to herd immunity, and other conspiracy theories. 

21 hours ago, sassenach said:

I'm probably jinxing myself but we seem to be nearly at the other end of this omicron wave and we managed not to catch this thing. I'm curious about how common or uncommon that is.

Goodness, I wish I could say "abort, delete, abort" haha. I said something in a post about three weeks ago about how I don't think I catch covid (been directly exposed so many times) and within 24 hours of that post I was sick. 2 1/2 weeks later I'm.still.sick. Just started an antibiotic and inhaler to try to kick whatever this has progressed into 😞 

• Sad 5

We have had 2 rounds-- Early 2020 and January 2022.

The baby (now 2 yrs old) was fine the first round-- but he is still having issues one month later after Omicron (looks like reactive airway)..

We (adults) are vaxxed and boosted-- but I'm on immune suppressant... My case this time was not fun (lost taste and smell this time and its only a tiny bit back)-- DH had zero symptoms but he tested positive for 2 solid weeks... Middle DD had general 'flu' symptoms for about 3 days.

Baby gifted use with Covid after spending New Years with his Dad and Step mom... they thought that kids were 'immune' and he was knowingly exposed (GRRRRRRRRRR).

• Sad 8

Not yet (that we know of; we have the usual couple of suspicious illnesses in our pandemic history), but two of my kid are off to play wind instruments at district honor band this weekend so we'll see! Numbers are finally going down pretty sharply locally, so better now than a few weeks ago. My husband has been teaching high school in person since fall 2020 and has avoided it, but he wears good masks and never has to take them off around other people (unlike the students who have to eat together). I have a friend whose daughter had an exposure (masked) at work and was paid to stay home for 5 days. It's funny because my husband would literally never go to school if they were doing that here; he gets exposure notifications several times a week lately.

Edited by kokotg

Sibling got married Feb 2020 and my parents, siblings, and I all had varying degrees of respiratory illness immediately after, so we all suspect we had it early on. 

More recently, my sister had confirmed flu with extreme body aches, fever, and GI upset. Lasted 24 hours. Two weeks later, I had the same exact illness. I assumed it was flu, laid low several days. Then a week after that, a friend of mine had the same illness I had but positive Covid test. None of us had been around eachother. But the point is, I could have had either.

Possibly.  Feb 2020 I was sick and x rays showed an atypical/weird pneumonia (I have never had bronchitis or pneumonia).  Certainly difficulty breathing.  Severe cough.

I don't know about loss of taste or smell as that wasn't on the radar but I was the sickest I had been in 30 years.  Coworker had traveled internationally and several of us close in contact got sick.

Doctor sent me for antibody testing but it was when tests first came out so accuracy is in question and it was over 3 months out.

10 hours ago, Quill said:

I assume it’s due to where you live. It seems unimaginable to me, especially after the Christmas Omicron surge. For a few weeks there, it was feeling like it was more efficient to list people who *didnt* have Covid. 

Definitely where I live. NZ eliminated all covid for 1.5 years. Then, the Delta outbreak last year was in Auckland only (wastewater was clear in the rest of NZ) and no body I know there got it. And now with Omicron, we only began 10 days ago with 1 case in NZ, and now we are up to 140 per day, but mostly in Auckland. Omicron is not even in my city yet (wastewater is still clear). Soon, but not yet. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Quill said:

Same. I think it is a valid estimate that I personally know around 250 people who have had covid in the past 2 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

what you see depends on where you live

21 minutes ago, KeriJ said:

Same. I think it is a valid estimate that I personally know around 250 people who have had covid in the past 2 years.

Same.  And my area was mask-compliant and mandate-compliant when they existed (through to last summer), socially-distant/cautious and masking/cautious under the current voluntary regimes, and our county vax rate exceeds 95%.  Literally everyone I know among family and friends is vaccinated.

But the area was among the very initial COVID landing in spring 2020 (which remains our worst interval for hospitalizations and deaths, although not any longer for cases), then we got a delta bump and then an Omicron spike.

I personally knew 15+ who contracted in the first wave (more if I count kids and elderly parents of adults in my own circle); ~50+ in the Delta wave; and literally too many to count in the Omicron wave. 

Fortunately only a handful of deaths.

• Like 1

Once that I know of. And several extended family members have had it, some having been hospitalized. My poor BFF (in another region) has lost at least 3 or 4 close friends (most recently one who was youngish and boostered but had an underlying condition).

A tricky bit to the selection bias is that low-income people in the US have been more likely to catch it and are less likely to have good internet access. Another is that people who died aren't online to answer polls.

No one in my house has had it as far as we know. We haven't been that careful.

All of my extended family in the city (all vaxxed, most boosted, except one unvaxxed who had it the mildest of everyone) had it over dec/jan, from the 80+yo cancer patient to the infants, everyone is fine.

Edited by LMD

Me and dd15 have not. 

Xh has had it twice (was around dd15 both times when he was contagious)

Ds27 had it once and quarantined at our house.

DD23 and her husband both got it while at my house over the holidays.

I have  been exposed a bajillion times due to family and working in healthcare, and so far, No positive Covid tests. I have had times when I wondered (lingering headache/sleeping more than usual) but I haven't tested positive. DD15 hasn't had even the slightest symptom, even after quarantining with 3 people who were positive for 2 weeks. I think she may be one of the people who are naturally resistant.

I’m on an impressive health streak. I haven’t been sick in over two years. This probably can’t go on much longer. At this point it feels like it’s just a matter of time. I may have run out of optimism. I really did like people before the pandemic. 

I’ve had a few days where I felt a caffeine, dehydration, or low pressure headache and I though “Oh no! This is it! I have the Covid!” Nope. I have the paranoia. 

• Like 2

None of us have, but I am pretty sure the jig will be up soon, as I am now working in a Covid ICU. I've had 4 shots, wear an N95 (or a PAPR) + goggles/PPE + the air is HEPA filtered in Covid positive patient rooms, but I think that I'm the only nurse in our ICU that hasn't had it yet. With all the data coming out about neuro and t-cell damage from repeat infections (even mild infections), I wish I could just mainline vaccine.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 5