Menu

Prayers please

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Despite triple vaxxed and masked, I caught Covid again. Got my notification of the positive pcr this morning.  In any case, I was good yesterday and today I am really short of breath. Spo2 is steady at 92 which is low but they aren’t treating much above 90 right now.

My doctor is checking to see if we have the right monoclonal antibodies that are effective against omicron. If we do she’s sending me to the clinic for treatment. Pray that they’ve got them here and I can get in quickly?

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 9
  • Sad 61

So—they do have them and my doctor put in all the referral. But they’re triaging it so she isn’t sure I’ll be accepted. She’s hoping diabetes will push it over the edge but they are kind of focusing on non-vaccinated people because they do the worst.  Meanwhile I am short of breath walking six steps.

I’m really hoping they call in the next few hours with an appointment time this evening or tomorrow morning.

• Sad 31

57 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

So—they do have them and my doctor put in all the referral. But they’re triaging it so she isn’t sure I’ll be accepted. She’s hoping diabetes will push it over the edge but they are kind of focusing on non-vaccinated people because they do the worst.  Meanwhile I am short of breath walking six steps.

I’m really hoping they call in the next few hours with an appointment time this evening or tomorrow morning.

I really, really hope you get an appointment. I just think it is so unfair that someone like you, who is vaccinated and boosted, and works everyday saving people’s lives, could be denied life saving treatment while vaccine refusers (of course with the always implied even when not stated exclusion of those who can’t vaccinate for medical reasons) are given priority. I certainly hope a medical ethics review board was involved with this prioritization.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I hope they will qualify you for them. I understand why they are prioritizing unvaccinated people, but it really does feel awfully unfair to those who have been doing their part, and especially for front line workers to be denied because they have to save them for the unvaccinated. I hope you are feeling better soon!

• Like 17

No phone call yet. My primary said if I can’t get in by tomorrow she will prescribe Paxlovid.  I’m pretty sure I’m starting pneumonia vs a PE.  My oxygen saturation and shortness of breath respond well to sitting/rest, and my chest is heavy but not painful.  I’m just getting very short of breath on any exertion.

• Like 6
  • Sad 11

6 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

No phone call yet. My primary said if I can’t get in by tomorrow she will prescribe Paxlovid.  I’m pretty sure I’m starting pneumonia vs a PE.  My oxygen saturation and shortness of breath respond well to sitting/rest, and my chest is heavy but not painful.  I’m just getting very short of breath on any exertion.

If you can get paxlovid, that would be great as well. Do they ever give them both together, or are they tending to give people one or the other?

eta: would you consider just starting the paxlovid today? Looking them up again in comparison, paxlovid appears to have even higher efficacy than sotromivab, but also needs to be started earlier (within 5 days vs 10). (https://www.phe.gov/emergency/events/COVID19/therapeutics/Documents/side-by-side-overview.pdf)

Edited by KSera
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

She’s hoping diabetes will push it over the edge but they are kind of focusing on non-vaccinated people because they do the worst.

That is ridiculous.  Unvaccinated by choice should put them at the back of the line.

I hope you are able to get treated soon!

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, KSera said:

If you can get paxlovid, that would be great as well. Do they ever give them both together, or are they tending to give people one or the other?

eta: would you consider just starting the paxlovid today? Looking them up again in comparison, paxlovid appears to have even higher efficacy than sotromivab, but also needs to be started earlier (within 5 days vs 10). (https://www.phe.gov/emergency/events/COVID19/therapeutics/Documents/side-by-side-overview.pdf)

Found a document from NIH as well, and it lists Paxlovid as first choice, Sotromivab second: https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/statement-on-therapies-for-high-risk-nonhospitalized-patients/

• Like 4

So they are only giving MAB here to people who fall into tier 1 risk factor and I am In tier 4.  So nope, even though my primary tried, I won’t get it. I’d fall into Tier 1 if I was not vaxxed.

Paxlovid is apparently contraindicated as well due to a cardiac med I take.

so she called in an inhaler and told me to go to the ER if I got worse, but that’s entirely what I am trying to avoid. Right now the ER wouldn’t do anything for me anyway.

• Sad 37

As an aside, Mrs. Tiggywinkle, any thoughts on getting a pulmonologist at some point in the future?

I ask because around my third round of pneumonia or so, I got set up with a pulmonologist who has been really awesome at aggressively heading off pneumonia and I went from having pneumonia twice a year to not at all since then.  We heavy hit with a nebulizer rather than an inhaler and some other things like active breathing exercises. You might find it helpful since you're in the autoimmune world and it's complicated balancing issues.

FWIW, the active breathing exercises are mostly just deep diaphramic breathing, nose inhale followed by pursed lip exhale with making the exhale last 2x the length of the inhale, and candle blowing....totally easy to do at home on your own. 

• Like 6

@FaithManorThat is the way prioritization is happening in Michigan as well.  Un-vaccinated qualify over immune-compromised vaccinated and boosted. My biggest concern with Omicron over Delta was the inability to get MAB.  My doctors went back and forth over the booster based on criteria. In the end I got it. 🤞

OP, I hope you see improvements quickly.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I’d fall into Tier 1 if I was not vaxxed.

Outrageous ! 

This is your third freaking time and you got it because you are in health care. If we do not prioritize our health care workers who get affected in the line of duty when there is rationing all the clapping and banging of pots for thank you is just talk. 

• Like 21

My friend had Covid last week and had a similar experience--she ended up feeling dramatically better the very next day and had a very quick recovery after that. It was her second bout (first was pre-vaccine), and she has workplace exposure as well. Her sats and symptoms are very much like yours. 

I am so sorry. 

HCWs need to be at the front of the line for intervention. 

• Like 8