Menu

what kind of dinnerware do you have for everyday...stoneware, corelle, something different?

kfeusse

I have stoneware currently.  I love the way it looks, but it's heavy...and bulky.  I have looked at corelle, but I am not overly fond of most of the patterns.  So, I was just curious what all of you guys use for your everyday dishes (including pattern you have)....and maybe a why you chose that and do you like them?  Thanks.

I have what was white and on clearance. 😄
Dh and I used to move a lot and dishes would get chipped or broken in transit.  I don't like Corelle at all, even though it is durable, but we needed something to solve the problem of buying dishes every few years.  So we decided on a basic color: white.  We would buy a box of dishes during January sales the year we'd move, and unpack it after we got to our new home.  So we have a few sets of white dishes we can pull out when we have extra folks over, but we are not super concerned over breakage because it's all a lovely mismatch when it's together.  Our serving dishes are white as well, but we do have a few simple red/white patterned dishes thrown in there to keep it interesting.

• Like 1

When we outgrew a 4 place setting stoneware set early in our marriage, I replaced it with white plates of various designs.  I collected a set of 16 mismatched plates (probably earthenware...stoneware usually is more solid and basic.  I am not a fan of Corelle).  

The plates are all white with different borders on each.  I picked up plates at garage sales, thrift stores, even one from Walmart that I thought was pretty.  I never had to worry about them breaking, though, amazingly, they haven't!   It took me only a month to collect them, and it was so economical and handy for extra guests.  I have large dinner plates and about the same amount of mismatched white dessert plates.  We use both sizes everyday for general plate use.

Vintage Corelle, purchased at a garage sale. I've used Corelle my entire married life. Easy to store, easy to move, easy to load into the dishwasher. It's nice enough to use for guests for casual dinners.

It rarely ever breaks, but as a previous poster mentioned, when it does it shatters into hundreds of sharp, tiny shards. When that happens every couple years, I always swear, "No more Corelle!" but I've never found a better alternative.

After about 10-15 years in the dishwasher, I've found that the outside edges of Corelle tend to start to roughen and then become more prone to rust stains. I replace it at that point. However--I read that using liquid, non-abrasive dishwasher detergent will prevent this from happening, so I switched. So far, so good.

Corelle , a few old round winter white.  Mostly a combo of square iris shadow (I love irises and it had matching extras like canisters) ) and 2 where I’m not sure names:  European herbs— with design in and out on bowls and a comfortable mug shape I especially like, but only have 2 and they seem to “disappear” frequently,  and one with blue abstract flower look I find cheery.  I shift which plate is most showing in an upright holder. Though try to have an Herbs at bottom of bowl stack so that herb design shows instead of plain white.  

One set of 4 of each item of the blue flowers, an extra two dinner plates plates in each of herb and iris, two extra bowls and mugs in herb. I may get extra herb bowl, mug, and lunch plate as they have emerged as my very favorite—I don’t think it came in sets. 

They are lightweight and take little space. And all the square plates will stack with the other square ones of same size regardless of design. 

Also some huge Corelle stoneware mugs with lids. 

Edited by Pen

14 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

A year or two ago we had a thread on dishes and someone posted a link to the most gorgeous sets of everyday dishes. I had bookmarked it to buy some later, but then my laptop died and I could never find the thread again or remember who posted the link. I'm hoping someone posts it again here!! 😄One of the sets had peacocks on them and I just thought they were all fabulous. 

These are the plates that you remember.  They are lovely! I don't know who posted them, but I remembered them too.  My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Peacock, so I tend to remember anything with a peacock on it.  (I never met her and my father had no memory of her -- she died of cancer before he was 2, so this is the one thing I can hold on to as a "memory" of her.)

• Like 3

I have white porcelain dishes, which I bought from Pampered Chef.  They've been discontinued, but fortunately, they are very high quality, so I haven't needed to replace anything, even after several years.  If/when I do, I have discovered that it's quite similar to the white Luminous Porcelain dinnerware at Pier 1 Imports. I linked the open stock, but they also sell sets.  They're so similar, I wonder if they're the same thing, and Pier 1 has just picked up the product from Pampered Chef.

https://www.pier1.com/luminous-coupe-porcelain-white-dinnerware/PS1592.html?cgid=luminous-porcelain-dinnerware#nav=tile&icid=cat_dining_entertaining-subcat_dinnerware_collections-subcat_tile_luminous_porcelain_dinnerware&origin=gridswatch

• Like 1

Corelle-we got a set of plain white with slightly fluted edges as a wedding gift, 25 years ago, and have replaced pieces/added to it over time. The same pattern seems to come out about every 5-6 years. We have tile floors in the kitchen/dining room, and Corelle seems to be able to handle the first drop, but not the second, so we usually lose a place setting or so a year, and about the time we're running low, the pattern comes back. 

I have my grandmother's China. I'm terrified to use it, so it stays in the cabinet most of the time. I've been tempted to just start using it daily, and see if it can handle the dishwasher, but I'm a little afraid that I'd end up with an angry ghost army of grandmothers haunting me....

• Like 1

We had the same Corelle with ivy around the edges for over 20 years, but finally replaced it all when we moved -- that way we didn't even have to bother to pack dishes!   (They had eventually become chipped or roughened at the edges and tinged with rust stains, as Mercy said.)  We just bought a set of Noritake Colorwave dishes (in a bright mustard yellow :)) during a great sale.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/noritake-reg-colorwave-rim-16-piece-dinnerware-set/5320635?skuId=67035984&gclsrc=aw.ds&&mrkgcl=609&mrkgadid=3252627362&rkg_id=0&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_dining_local&product_id=67035984&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&adpos=1o5&creative=231592352363&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0IDtBRC6ARIsAIA5gWsVCGukQDmRS9DmG-bUcUa9fJ7j-0YBDjsJVxI_IcNHCKHaFtkfIWUaAt79EALw_wcB

I am not super fond of white or even off white...not sure why.  Currently we have a red set I bought at Walmart...but like I said, they are heavy and bulky...take up lots of room in the dishwasher and cabinet.  But I like the red (at least for our current home)...but I know within the next 4-5 years we will be moving...so I might just wait until we move, I don't know....I was just wondering what others have.  I guess, I will probably just have to start looking and seeing what options are out there...

Thanks so much for responses...I am amazed as to how popular white is though....interesting.

• Like 2

I have the Williams Sonoma Pantry line, some white ironstone I got at an estate sale, and some china I rarely use that I keep meaning to sell to replacements.com.  I got a quote about a year ago that was something like $800, but I went into labor early and missed the window.

I got the Williams Sonoma rec here, because someone had theirs since they got married in the 70's, had only broken a few things, and they could still replace them. I probably wouldn't buy them again though.  They're made in China now & we've already had a couple of things chip.  Not the kids either, me hand washing one thing, and me putting another into the dishwasher.  If it was the kids I wouldn't have believed they were being as gentle as I was.  DH broke a mug too.  No idea if he was being careful or not.

If I was going to replace again I'd probably pick fiestaware, even if I went with all white. Or something else made by the same company, because they are still made here and are still really high quality.  Or maybe I'd just collect more white ironstone, at least when the little ones are a bit older.

I have pfaltzgraff in White in two different pattens that are similar enough to be intermixed.  One from our wedding (so 31yo) and another set that Dh spotted a couple years later in an outlet extremely cheap.  I think I can feed 24 and have loads of serving pieces.  They are heavy and my hands are becoming an ongoing issue.   But they match everything so I like them.....sturdy, fine in the microwave etc......

I also own a lighter set of dishes from Johnson Brothers that I may switch to for everyday use.........I have been moving them and never used them much.  Also from our wedding so I have serving pieces for these also.  I love them and am seriously considering moving them in to the cabinet for daily use.  They are supposed to be dishwasher safe but I don’t know that I have ever put them in the dishwasher.  Dd and I had tea party’s with them (with guests) when she was little frequently  https://www.replacements.com/p/johnson-brothers-summer-chintz-england-1883-stamp-bread--butter-plate/jb_suchi/54774881?rplSrc=GPLA&rplSubEvent=159465&productTargetID=602905652810&dvc=t&rplsku=5477488&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4oLctruU5QIVDtvACh1h9watEAQYAyABEgKoNfD_BwE

I grew up with corelle when it first came out.  (I remember the commercials advertising how it was unbreakable. I also remember them being pulled, since the dishes can end up shattering into a gazillion sharp shards.).  when I married - dh had corelle.  1dd has corelle. 

I got rid of all the corelle - and I have portmeirion (stoneware) (for about 20 years)

Edited by gardenmom5

Clear glass Anchor Hocking dishware -- it goes with everything, lol. But, it is heavy, and it is breakable. That's the everyday dishware. For special dinners, and to occasionally shake-up everyday use, we also have a huge set of Fiestaware. Many pieces are over 80 years old, handed down to me from my grandma. We've also added a lot of pieces -- they are all colors, so it's very fun to mix and match different color schemes when using the Fiestaware. However -- also heavy and breakable.

PS -- I will just add that we have very rarely broken any dishes. Our boys used glassware from about age 9-10 on, and I think each has only ever broken a glass once -- never any bowls or plates . Actually, I can only think of 2 plates that have been broken, 1 each from the Anchor Hocking and one from the Fiestaware, and that's from over 30 years of marriage.

Edited by Lori D.

I used to have a stoneware set, and when it got chipped I looked at fiestaware and have a small amount that I use sometimes. But, I found corelle on sale and got a huge set for not a lot.  It's been wonderful - there are times when its just the 4 of us (although with a teen boy there are a lot of extra meals some days), but we often have houseguests and feed an extra 2-6 people for a few days and it's nice to never have to worry about running out of dishes.  We have 12 dinner plates and 12 lunch plates and since most people can happily use either that gives us 24 plates to work with...and they stack in less space than 12 stoneware would.  I got plain white so they look fine with whatever placemats or tablecloth I use.  

I have a problem with dishware.  I have several sets, most inherited.  But our truly every day dishes are Portmerion’s Botanical Garden.  I’ve used mine for almost 20 years, plus my mom gave me hers when she got remarried.  She had had most of hers since she graduated college.

3 hours ago, kfeusse said:

I have stoneware currently.  I love the way it looks, but it's heavy...and bulky.  I have looked at corelle, but I am not overly fond of most of the patterns.  So, I was just curious what all of you guys use for your everyday dishes (including pattern you have)....and maybe a why you chose that and do you like them?  Thanks.

I got stoneware for my wedding. I loved the pattern, but it was heavy and bulky. so now I have my sister's hand me down Coreele. It's not my favorite pattern but it does the job and I can have more on hand in the same spot.

• Like 1

I switched to corelle a few years back because of how light they are. Prior to that, I used stoneware but the weight became to much. Also, corelle takes up much less space. I still have my stoneware Christmas dishes but I’m ready to offer my daughters those. Does corelle make a Christmas set?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kfeusse said:

I am not super fond of white or even off white...not sure why.  Currently we have a red set I bought at Walmart...but like I said, they are heavy and bulky...take up lots of room in the dishwasher and cabinet.  But I like the red (at least for our current home)...but I know within the next 4-5 years we will be moving...so I might just wait until we move, I don't know....I was just wondering what others have.  I guess, I will probably just have to start looking and seeing what options are out there...

Thanks so much for responses...I am amazed as to how popular white is though....interesting.

I had multi-colored stoneware, and I thought I'd love them.  I was surprised that I just found the food less appetizing when the color of the food clashed with the color of the dishes.  Is that weird? I also didn't like that they clashed with my Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations. Plus, I have a bright, multi-striped tablecloth the rest of the year, and the multi-colored dishes just disappeared in the sea of color.  I found that I just wanted crisp, white dishes that didn't clash with the food, and that stood out on the colored table cloth. I love my white dishes. They're so versatile.

• Like 4

I'm boring.  I have white corelle dishes for lunch, kids husband to grab.  Dinner dishes are White Villeroy and Boch I got from TJ Maxx and Home Goods, they are nice, thin, but strong dishes.  

https://www.villeroy-boch.com/shop/manoir-dinner-plate-10-12-in-1023962620.html?lang=en_US  This set.  I just picked up pieces as they would show up in the stores.  I now have 16 plates and 12 bowls.  They were about + or - $5 a piece.

Last year I replaced my 30-year-old bisque set of Corelle with the Corelle True Blue pattern, a set of 20 both times. So fun to have new! The stack of 20 plates is about 3 inches high in my cabinet.

I only had two bowls shatter in my first 30 years. I also had two bowls break in half during that time. So breakage hasn't been an issue for me.

• Like 1

Winter white Corelle for everyday.  Plain white Nikko china for slightly nicer than everyday use - it was originally going to be our everyday set, but we discovered it broke too easily.  

On 10/11/2019 at 8:18 AM, MercyA said:

After about 10-15 years in the dishwasher, I've found that the outside edges of Corelle tend to start to roughen and then become more prone to rust stains. I replace it at that point. However--I read that using liquid, non-abrasive dishwasher detergent will prevent this from happening, so I switched. So far, so good.

I had no idea this was the cause.  I thought it was because of being dropped into the dishwasher on the edges repeatedly.  I wonder if the pods will prevent it.

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

I have Mikasa French Countryside, like them, wouldn't change, but I have cabinet space. Actually, I keep them out on a rack built into my cupboards modeled after a silly $10 bamboo dish rack I used with other dishes. Ooo inflation, they're $20 now! In storeBamboo Dish Drying Rack - Threshold , Brown$19.99Target  Anyways, the cabinet maker built this only in hardwood with racks spaced to hold my dishes. 

With dd, I'm going to encourage her to get Corelle. It's affordable and efficient. She has some hand me down sets of Mikasa, Noritake, etc. from relatives. She'd like a full set of I forget, something at BB&B. But really, I just think $35-50 a place setting is high. And she wants black, which is so transitory. Like if you're going to go fashion forward, don't pay that much unless you have money to change. I invested, but they're classic. And I can intersperse them with other patterns and have them be pretty.

As far as the weight, I think my Mikasa dishes are fine. They're not super heavy or luggy, just kind of middle of the road.

• Like 1

I have mostly Pfaltzgraff (Rosehaven pattern). I had about a set of 12 when I got married 20 years ago. I had purchased a small set of it at a store I worked at in college, and for graduation, my family set me up with the whole set. Currently, I have all of the serving dishes still, but only about a set of 6-8 plates & bowls. The pattern faded in the dishwasher over the years so I've let the "ugly" ones go, and we broke a few things over the years. I have filled in with plastic that the kids use (Ikea, Walmart, etc) and thrift store dishes. I probably now have a set of 12 (not including kids' dishes), but in 4-5 different patterns that I just liked when I saw them. They don't really go together, but it's fine. 

I do have a set of 16 Christmas dishes (Pfaltzgraff Winterberry), which I inherited, that we use in November and December.  

Another (plain white) Corelle user here, and I doubt we'll ever switch.  I love that I can have 24 big plates in the same space I could fit like 10 of my old stoneware ones.  With a family of 12 people, and with older kids getting married now, we need to be able to have a ton of plates.  We have probably 18 of the smaller lunch plates.  We have dropped a few plates and bowls, and they do shatter, but oh well.  They're so cheap to replace, and since they are light, they don't usually get dropped.

• Like 1

I have two sets of everyday ware.  One is Vietri Campagna, because we live in the town where this company is headquartered and there is an outlet. A couple of times a year they have a wonderful clearance sale.  We have mix and match with many of the different animals.  They've changed the color tones lately to be a bit brighter, so I generally look for the older varieties that are not so bright and are a bit more muted.  We also use Denby Harlequin, which we registered for when we got married.  We truly use them both -- the Denby when we need to microwave and the Vietri when we don't.  The Vietri gets hot in the microwave.

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, May said:

I switched to corelle a few years back because of how light they are. Prior to that, I used stoneware but the weight became to much. Also, corelle takes up much less space. I still have my stoneware Christmas dishes but I’m ready to offer my daughters those. Does corelle make a Christmas set?

Yes! https://www.corelle.com/search?qry=Christmas

I have a vintage Corelle Christmas set, found at a garage sale. 🙂 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

A year or two ago we had a thread on dishes and someone posted a link to the most gorgeous sets of everyday dishes. I had bookmarked it to buy some later, but then my laptop died and I could never find the thread again or remember who posted the link. I'm hoping someone posts it again here!! 😄One of the sets had peacocks on them and I just thought they were all fabulous. 

Was the company 222 Fifth? I posted some toile patterned dishes last year that I bought from that company.

I have Corelle for every day, stoneware snowman dishes (service for 4) for when I’m festive in the winter, and melamine plastic in tropical colored stripes for outside dining. 

My corelle is the bisque color and they stopped making it, so my pasta dishes are white. I wish I’d bought them in bisque earlier, but I just didn’t predict that they’d discontinue a base color.  

We’ve never broken a dish, so I haven’t experience the spectacular shatter. I don’t think that would deter me. I like how light and durable they are. 

23 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

I have white porcelain dishes, which I bought from Pampered Chef.  They've been discontinued, but fortunately, they are very high quality, so I haven't needed to replace anything, even after several years.  If/when I do, I have discovered that it's quite similar to the white Luminous Porcelain dinnerware at Pier 1 Imports. I linked the open stock, but they also sell sets.  They're so similar, I wonder if they're the same thing, and Pier 1 has just picked up the product from Pampered Chef.

https://www.pier1.com/luminous-coupe-porcelain-white-dinnerware/PS1592.html?cgid=luminous-porcelain-dinnerware#nav=tile&icid=cat_dining_entertaining-subcat_dinnerware_collections-subcat_tile_luminous_porcelain_dinnerware&origin=gridswatch

Thanks for posting the link. What a great price for porcelain, and the reviews are fabulous! Also a fan of white dishes--I feel like it's a blank canvas that makes the colors of the food stand out.

Amy

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 10:04 AM, kfeusse said:

.I am amazed as to how popular white is though....interesting.

It goes with everything. Most food looks good on it. You can dress it up with a pretty tablecloth, napkins, glasses, etc. And if you move you never have to worry if it will match your new kitchen.

I have correlate because it is light and easy on my hands (bit of arthritis in them) and it stacks so nicely without taking up much room. But I also don't like most of the patterns - they look cheesy/cheap to me. So I got white - the white one with a bit of texture to it so it's a bit less plain, but because it is white I can mix and match pretty much anything with it when I want to. It's this one - although the mugs (which are stoneware, not the Correlle material) bit the dust a long time ago. I have other mugs now, from Ikea)

cor_enhancements_rnd_16pc_set_sclptrd_10