Menu

What is in your purse?

DawnM

I had a staff member at my work come ask me if I had a sewing kit in my purse.  Another co-worker commented and said, "Oh, I usually have one, but I switched purses."

I have never, ever, ever had a sewing kit in my purse.  It wouldn't even occur to me to carry one.

Here is what I tend to have in my purse:

iphone

ipad

wallet

small collapsable umbrella 

sometimes a charging stick

small make up bag

pen

That is pretty much it

YOU?

Oh the things I carry in my purse! I have carried a sewing kit in the past but haven't for awhile. I have in my purse

Mock bujo (trying this to see how to work it and if I like it)

Wallet

Small Bible

Small card pouch

Pens, pens and more pens

Checkbook

Receipts (will get rid of those today)

Travel size lotion, chap stick

iPhone

Edited by mama25angels

Mostly I just carry an all-in-one wallet that holds cash, cards and my phone.

When I bother to carry my purse it has the above wallet in it, plus:

Lightweight sweater (often needed in restaurants that blast the AC in the spring/summer/fall)

Cough drops

Tissues

Small tube of Aquaphor

Altoids

Comb

Hand sanitizer/wipes

Eyeglass wipes

Wallet, reading glasses, small container of first aid supplies (bandaids, anti-bacteria oinment, wipes), purse pack of tissues, two pens, checkbook, small notebook, small container of ibuprofen, small cleaning wipe for glasses/phone, feminine protection, nail clippers, set of keys for a building, chapstick, ear plugs, hair things, contact case & cleaner, spray bottle of Thieves oil. 

And I looked, and I also found a chapstick for a dd who slipped it in there! 

I carry a pretty small purse.  In it is usually:

card wallet

phone

keys

an emergency $20 + loose change

bandaids

nail clippers

safety pin

hair band

chapstick

wet wipe

kleenex

pen and mechanical pencil

That's it.  I don't carry a sewing kit, but my sister does.  I figure a safety pin will do the trick until I get somewhere.

Now, if you want to talk about the super organized compartments under the trunk panel in my car, that's a whole different story! :lol: 

I quit carrying a purse almost ten years ago and can't imagine ever going back.

Lol, I just started carrying a small purse about 5 years ago and now I can’t believe I just threw a credit card and some cash in my pants pocket, or went totally without it I was wearing a dress :p

I don’t have a sewing kit, but I do have a needle and thread that I left in there once. Also, I have wallet, a couple of lipsticks, some cash and some pens.

It was tough for me to let go of the diaper bag because I was able to carry a lot more essentials for the kids (esp. when they were potty training - an extra pair of shorts/pants & undies was often needed - if only for when they puked!).

My sister always had the best-stocked purse ever. Mine doesn't live up to hers. The thing that takes the most room is the receipts followed by the mongo photo wallet.

So, credit card, insurance card(s) - now up to 3!, driver's license, a few gift cards, library cards, and a chock-full photo wallet - zippable (kind of like this, but not)

cash (when I have it), change, checkbook

receipts (until they get transferred to a monthly envelope)

chapstick, hand lotion, hand sanitizer

nail clippers, nail file, tweezers, small swiss army pocket knife

feminine products, bandaids

pens

Advil, DD's reaction tabs

gum

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

My purse has:

phone

wallet

card wallet with all of those pesky rewards cards from stores 

mints

sanitary supplies

glasses wipe

bandaids & advil

random junk like pens and receipts in the bottom

Occasionally, I carry the checkbook, but not usually.

My car console holds things like nail clippers, chapstick, hand sanitizer, etc.

I've been forcing myself to carry a small purse so that I can't overload it and wind up with a suitcase-weight thing to lug around. So these days, all that fits in there is:

Wallet

Reading glasses

Mascara and eyelash curler

Lip balm

Tylenol and sometimes other OTC meds

Checkbooks

Keys

Badge (for work)

Pens

Crumpled receipts and other unavoidable detritus

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I do keep a sewing kit in the emergency kit in my car. But I travel very lightly purse-wise. I carry a Vera Bradley crossbody/wristlet. It is the size of my phone and only carries my phone, my cards and license, some cash and I clip my keys onto it with a carabiner.

If I am going somewhere that requires more extra things, I use a tote or a bigger crossbody; in that instance, I have lipstick, a pen, possibly a notepad.

My wallet

Chapstick (must have Chapstick with me at all times or I freak out)

Lip gloss

Travel size bottle of hand lotion

Travel size bottle of hand sanitizer

Fem. supplies

Tylenol

A bag of almonds

Pens (although my kids usually snag those so I can't find one when I need it)

I have a large tote bag type thing that I use as my purse.  I don't usually have a sewing kit, but I did have safety pins until they were all used up for the Christmas Pageant costumes.

I have:

a smaller purse that I can grab out if I don't want to carry the whole thing.  In that is:

a card wallet

a coin purse

cash

a chapstick

our BookIt coupons for Pizza Hut

deposit slips for my business banking account

a few business cards - mine and others

And since I had to look, it no longer has a bunch of old receipts and post-it notes.   :laugh:

Additional items in the larger "purse":

my phone (could go in small purse if necessary)

binder clips

a journal that I write in rarely

a small notebook to write down things I need to pick up at some point when I'm out

an envelope of checks and envelopes to leave the rent to my businesses landlord (I leave it on a counter each week)

tissues

Christmas cards to the kids from gramma (which I also took out thanks to this thread)  :hurray:

a phone charger

extra pair of sunglasses

bulletins from church last week (removed)

my Kindle (which I pulled out so I remember to charge it)

a couple of binder clips

loose change

pads

a key ring that holds my classroom key, my PO box key, and all my club cards.  and the kids library cards.

a pen and a dry erase marker (took out the dry erase, not sure why it was in there).

an albuterol inhaler

a plastic box of thumbtacks (from when I put flyers or business cards on public bulletin boards)

flash cards for my Sunday School class, to use when we have extra time.

a pill dispenser with advil, advil pm, benedryl, Tums, kids advil 

Checkbook for our personal checking account

more of my business cards

a take-out menu for a local vegetarian restaurant that has great steamed dumplings and spring rolls.

a pair of reading glasses

If we are out during weather that is too warm to wear a coat, my car keys will get thrown in there when we are out somewhere, and I might have a book as well.

Thanks for starting this thread.  My purse is now a lot cleaner than it was.  

• Like 1

I have a sewing kit in my purse!  Only because dh snagged one from the hotel on a recent business trip, lol.  

-Planner ( contains paper clips, stamps, and sticky notes)

-Wallet

-A pouch with pens and check books

-A pouch with a mini lint roller, Advil, Benedryl (new latex allergy), nail file, and tiny hand sanitizer

-Tons of hair ties

-Flashlight

-Chapstick

-Mints

-Gloves

-Compact

-Tons of feminine hygiene products  (I have two girls and am constantly around other teen girls.)

-Sunglasses

-Keys

-Phone

-Earbuds (when they haven't been swiped by children)

-My mini brush has mysteriously gone missing

I also usually travel with another bag that contains just about every office supply that exists, and my car is packed with emergency items.  I do not travel light, lol.

Tiny zippered bag with ID and credit cards. Pencil, small container w motrin and two days' worth of my prescription meds (in case I get stranded somewhere). Keys and phone are usually in my pocket but can be in my purse. 

Today we're going to the movies so I also have a tiny shaker of popcorn salt and a bandana to use as a napkin during the movie. 

• Like 1

Wallet

Keys

Handkerchief(had a kid who would get

a lot of nosebleeds)

Tylenol (in case of migraine while

out)

Notebook

Pen

Holy Water

Gum

Lotion

Hand sanitizer

Water bottle

St. Dymphna medal (for nerves)

Compact

Feminine products

Sometimes a book I'm reading, but not

so much since smartphones

Safety pin

Tums

Sunglasses

Aside from maybe the gun that my husband thinks I should carry (I am way too clumsy for that:), I think I'm well stocked.

Wallet, keys to various vehicles, notepad and pen, chapstick, lotion, probably hand sanitizer, in theory my sunglasses but probably not, charging box, car charging plug, iPhone charging cord, on a good day my iPhone but probably not, extra-extra Aldi quarter (one lives in my vehicle and an extra lives in my coat pocket), feminine supplies, prescription papers not filled yet, random receipts and junk, water bottle, headphones if I’ll be somewhere where I might want to watch tv while waiting, knitting. I wouldn’t normally keep seeing or first aid kits in there unless I knew I was likely to need one.

But I also keep umbrella, spare library bag, flashlight, and some other emergency supplies (including cheap flip flops for each kid) in my van.

hmm...

All the time:

wallet

phone

pens/pencils (1-4)

Epipen, Jr. 2-pack

misc. wallet photos & loyalty cards (usually in a wallet-sized photo book)

keys 

Swiss Army knife

3-4 mini notepads

an envelope of money the kids are saving to buy a DS game

chapstick (at lest 1, sometimes up to 3)

measuring tape (like for fabric)

feminine stuff

mini first aid kit

a bottle of children's Benadryl

children's chewable Dramamine

Randomly:

grocery list

store receipts (usually when my wallet gets overloaded)

pony tail holder(s)

printed materials from church

car registration

pay stubs from DH

bank deposit slips & receipts

and currently 3 penny whistles :D

checks for depositing

to do lists and/or materials lists

tissue (I keep a regular-sized box in the van and stuff random amounts in the purse as needed)

used tissues (see above)  

I do periodically clean out the random stuff; the first list is my standard kit.

I rarely ever carry a purse.  I've never been big on purses.  I had a teacher once remark on my avoidance of purses.  Once in a blue moon I carry a small backpack (but usually only when traveling and needing to carry a bit more than normal).

In my pockets of my pants I carry:

wallet

keys

phone

chapstick (or lipstick if out to dinner or something along those lines)

DD on the other hand carries a huge purse which includes:

Wallet

Phone 

Headsets

Chapstick

pens/pencils

sketch pad

GermX

bandaids

advil

kleenex

sewing kit

hairbrush

hairties

water bottle

mini deodorant

glasses case

glasses cleaner

portable solar panel charger 

3d portable puzzle

notebook

eye drops

and so on...  LOL

Wallet

Keys

iPhone

Pens

Reading glasses 

Lip balm and Lipstick  

Case with tampons/pads

Stethoscope 

some things for work...pad for recording calls when I’m on call, pad for recording hospital visits 

A book...whenever I buy a new purse I have to make sure it fits a book. 

I tried the cargo pants thing....the epi-pens flap around too much.

I'm also in the boat of having to carry epi-pens, inhalers, and rescue meds.  I also have an assortment of latex-free bandages (bandaids, tegaderm, latex free coban wrap) and other medical things most people don't carry.  

I carry more things than most people do, but I find that I use them regularly.  I used my swiss army knife tweezer to remove a splinter/wood fragment from under ds's fingernail while we were out and about recently.  I've used my external battery to charge my phone while out and about when I unexpectedly needed to use google maps for a long period of time (talk about a battery drainer!). I carry a pocket folding fan (hello, middle aged woman!), a spare set of contacts, a small tin of thinking putty (for youngest) as some of my more unusual objects.

I tried the cargo pants thing....the epi-pens flap around too much.

I'm also in the boat of having to carry epi-pens, inhalers, and rescue meds.  I also have an assortment of latex-free bandages (bandaids, tegaderm, latex free coban wrap) and other medical things most people don't carry.  

I carry more things than most people do, but I find that I use them regularly.  I used my swiss army knife tweezer to remove a splinter/wood fragment from under ds's fingernail while we were out and about recently.  I've used my external battery to charge my phone while out and about when I unexpectedly needed to use google maps for a long period of time (talk about a battery drainer!). I carry a pocket folding fan (hello, middle aged woman!), a spare set of contacts, a small tin of thinking putty (for youngest) as some of my more unusual objects.

You reminded me that I want to start carrying tweezers.  The table in my classroom is reclaimed wood that is somewhat rough.  I put tablecloths over the top for my classes because they are messy, but one day I was setting up and got a splinter from the table - about 1/4 inch long, going down under the side of my fingernail.  It hurt like crazy, it was the beginning of my day (so not going home for hours) and the only tweezers I had were plastic forcep-type things that didn't work at all.  I found a sewing needle in the classroom and managed to get it out using that but tweezers would have been easier.

Usually

my wallet, a note/list, some receipts from who knows when, my phone when I remember it.

Sometimes I'll also have a bottle of Peak tea, a 5x8 binder/planner, a book or two, pens, chapstix, a hair band or clip,  among many other things along those lines (recently I've been packing around fabric samples).  I'll never have a sewing kit, makeup, hairbrush, mirror, or any of the many useful things my mother always carried in her normal sized purse (mine's a small shoulder sack that carries a wallet and phone :glare: ). 

After reading some more posts, I realized that I also have some of dd#2's business cards & a 35 year old Poochie compact in my purse along with the list I posted earlier. 

As a result of this thread, I now know the name of the horrible oxygen sensor thing that I absolutely HATE: 

pulse oximeter

And, I also now know what an "Aldi quarter" is.

[...] I have had each of these:  a dinosaur, a super-ball, little handmade gift cards from kids at church and a PEZ dispenser. 

And when I travel, I transfer these things to a tote-kind of thing because when you are traveling, anything can happen.  

You never know when you might need a dinosaur!  :lol:

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

Wallet, keys, "extra" wallet with store cards, change purse, pen (or 3), lotion, chapstick, kleenex pack, and knitting project.  My knitting project generally comes out when I get home, but there is usually something in there in case I need to kill time.

If I go somewhere specific, like the grocery store or bank, I will have those things, but otherwise I really try to keep my purse to a minimum.  Now I do keep several things in my van just in case.  Not a sewing kit though.

Basic phone (for calls)
iPhone (for grabbing WiFi, not on a plan)
sunglasses
compact mirror (just the mirror side, broken off from an old compact)

wallet
baggie of (2 ea) ibuprofen and Bean-o
mini Altoids
5 ml syringe (for modified Valsalva maneuver on the go)
pen
2 pads
travel size tissues
lip balm