Menu

Have you met or seen any celebrities?

mommyoffive

I met several Nascar drivers in the past. Ex-dh was able to get garage passes when he worked at a Speedway. I stood in a long line to meet Kyle Petty one year. DS was about 5 and Mark Martin was his favorite driver. He waited in line for about 2 hours with me to get an autograph. Robby Gordon gave my son a lug nut off a car and Richard Petty said ds was a cute kid. 

Jonathan Frakes once smiled at me, or at least in my general direction. We were at a huge music festival and I saw this guy walking around with an entourage. I did a double take because I couldn't figure out who he was, he smiled at me. It wasn't until the next day that I realized it was him. We live in the midwest, not the height of celebrity sightings. His visit was noted in the paper. 

I used to work in the airport gift shops and once sold a magazine to Anson Williams (Happy Days). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Jermaine Clement from Flight of the Concords lives down the street from me so I seem him walking around pretty regularly.  He's just an everyday guy here and when his kid was young, you could see him pushing him in the stroller. Everyone knows who he is, but we just greet him on the sidewalk or in the park with a 'hi' or a nod like is done here to be friendly. 

I'm confident that the majority of celebrities would prefer to live most of their lives as ordinary folks. 

• Like 6

Not me personally but my hubby has met quite a few famous people. He was once somewhat involved in politics and has met several politicians including President and Nancy Reagan.

Cher once made a music video on his aircraft carrier when he was in the Navy. 

When we first moved to Nashville he was heavily involved in songwriting. He has met many famous singers and songwriters here in Nashville as well as just seeing them out and about.

My favorite story though involves my dd. When I was young, about fifth grade, I  read "The House with the Clock in it's Walls" book series. By the way, the book was much better than the movie that came out not too long ago. There are about ten to twelve books in the series. The first three or four were written by John Bellairs. He then died and the remainder of the series was written by Brad Strickland. These were some of my favorite books in childhood and when I was grown I bought them all and read them to my children many times. 

On of my dd had Brad Strickland as a teacher in college when she was grown. She took the copy of the first book he wrote in the series, that we had owned her entire childhood in and told him the story and asked him to sign it which he did. I was so jealous. 

That same dd once wrote J.K. Rowling and received a written response. 

• Like 3

Do very minor celebrities count? I dated the bassist from the band Craving Theo. They were signed by Sony (?) and their song "Stomp" got some airplay in the early 90's. They opened for Courtney Love's band Hole. If you're curious, I'm sure the videos are still on YouTube. Look for the guy with the shaved head. 😉 

Don't quote please. 

ETA: Hey, that makes me 3 degrees removed from Kurt Cobain! Take that, Kevin Bacon.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 6
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, maize said:

I'm confident that the majority of celebrities would prefer to live most of their lives as ordinary folks. 

He lives in an ordinary neighborhood in downtown Wellington. I assume his kid goes to the local primary school. Because zoning and segregation is not a thing here, this neighborhood has multimillion dollar houses, apartments like mine, and public-housing side by side on the same street. His street is nicer than most, but it is still just a street in a 100-year old neighborhood inhabited by mixed socioeconomic class residents.  

• Like 4

Henry Winkler got out of his car right next to me and started greeting fans. Ronald Reagan went to my church (snipers on the rooftop—fun times.) I stood behind Amy Carter in a line to use the pay phone at roller skating. Those are the ones off the top of my head. 

• Like 5

Met, no. Seen in ordinary circumstances like a grocery, restaurant, church, or kids’ sporting event, sure. I live in Nashville. 

E.g. When I first moved here, I often had morning meetings in a bakery restaurant. Reba McEntire was often there with her preschool age grandkids. 

• Like 3

We believe Vincent Price bought us champagne on our wedding night.

Our wedding was an early morning wedding as we had to travel 4 hours later that day. (Dh had a new job and needed to be back to work on Monday.

Dh had reserved /paid for a a very nice suite. When we arrived early evening, the hotel had given it away. The one they gave us was horrible. Pool side, noisy ,  hollering kids outside our room and very very warm.

So we went to the dining room as wedding brunch was hours behind us and our room was anything but relaxing or sleep inducing. 

A man across the room sent over a bottle of champagne! When the waitress pointed him out, he waived at us.

no, I was not wearing my wedding dress,  but  I did have white flowers in my hair. We never spoke to him, but yes, we think it was Vincent Price saying “sorry, I got your room”.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I worked at a Christian radio / tv station and it was a privilege to say hi to Rich Mullins. It was not long before he died. 😞

Very briefly met Davy Jones for an autograph after a showing of A Very Brady Musical. Short and charming!

Wrote to and received a personal letter back from Jimmy Stewart when I was a little girl. He even addressed the envelope himself and it was postmarked Beverly Hills. 🙂

Saw from a distance at Comic Con: Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, Anthony Daniels (C3PO). 🙂  DD received an autograph from and chatted with Patricia Summersett, the voice actress who played Zelda in Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. She was very sweet.

Lots of people in concert--Eddie Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, Trent Reznor, Lindsey Stirling, JoJo Siwa (oh yes!), Gwen Stefani, Courtney Love, Gavin Rossdale, Jennifer Knapp, and others. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, MercyA said:

My dad was delivered (as a baby) by Dr. Otis Bowen, former governor of Indiana and former Sect. of Health and Human Services under Reagan.

I worked at a Christian radio / tv station and it was a privilege to say hi to Rich Mullins. It was not long before he died. 😞

Very briefly met Davy Jones for an autograph after a showing of A Very Brady Musical. Short and charming!

Wrote to and received a personal letter back from Jimmy Stewart when I was a little girl. He even addressed the envelope himself and it was postmarked Beverly Hills. 🙂

Saw from a distance at Comic Con: Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, Anthony Daniels (C3PO). 🙂  DD received an autograph from and chatted with Patricia Summersett, the voice actress who played Zelda in Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. She was very sweet.

Lots of people in concert--Eddie Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, Trent Reznor, Lindsey Stirling, JoJo Siwa (oh yes!), Gwen Stefani, Courtney Love, Gavin Rossdale, Jennifer Knapp, and others. 

Michael Card gave a concert at my college and my roommate was part of organizing it. I went early with her and he walked up to me, shook my hand and said, Hi, I’m Mike.”  It was quite a moment for 21 year old me. Rich Mullins would have been cool, too!

• Like 5

Some others, besides Linus Pauling: 

Sam Elliott actually lived three doors down from me growing up.

I trick or treated at Tom Selleck's house before he was famous and he answered the door.  His stepson was in my first grade class.

I saw Mike Ferrell at a school play at my high school.

I saw Redd Foxx at the LA airport.

I saw Linda Ronstadt and Jerry Brown at a restaurant in San Fransisco in the 1970s.  I had to be told that was who they were.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 3

I know a couple who are actors who would be well-known to some in this country. It is really eye-opening in regards to the career and I really would never encourage a kid to go for it. Intense work for a time and then nothing and not knowing what is happening next. Lots of instability for the kids, having to move around a lot. The people themselves are really emotionally insecure. Both were equally famous but since kids her career has taken the back seat to his, which has been hard for her. They have had times where they have struggled financially and times where they're rubbing elbows with international celebrities. I remember the first time I met the guy, I stepped back, he had that 'wow' factor. I don't see it anymore, at all. 

20 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

My husband ran into Ron Howard at a conference. Like literally bumped into him. My husband only goes to science conferences and I can’t remember the explanation for why Ron Howard was at this one. 

Oh, this reminds me of when I wasn't looking where I was going and bumped into a wall - only it was the stomach of a sumo wrestler.  This guy was solid!  (Takamiyama - from Maui.) 

• Like 2

One of my sons is a minor celebrity. He has had a whole fishing show episode on him.  Has written quite a few articles in hunting magazines And has a fairly large following on digital media. Wherever he goes complete strangers come up to him to say hi and  when he walks into a pub aparently just about everyone claps him on the back.  It is always awful when strangers come up to me and ask if I can arrange for my son to take their friends out fishing or hunting. Nope he isn't a tour guide. He is a very quiet, reserved person. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Katy said:

How short is he? Google says 5’2”.

I would believe Google. It was hard to tell because he's thick (as in, heavy shoulders, etc., from a lifetime of weightlifting) and he stands very straight. He walks with a lot of confidence, more of a strut.

My answer is that he is noticeably shorter than me, and I am 5'10".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

My dad was delivered (as a baby) by Dr. Otis Bowen, former governor of Indiana and former Sect. of Health and Human Services under Reagan. But I guess that doesn't really count as ME seeing him. 😉 

Rich Mullins actually spoke at a chapel service at my high school, and then he spent the day popping in and teaching in various classes. He was one of my favorite singers, and I was so awestruck that he was there. He spoke passionately about history and faith. He also popped into choir that day, I think? He came across as folksy and kind and normal. I didn't really talk to him that day (other than getting his autograph), but I very much enjoyed all that he said and sang that day. I saw him in concert later in college when he did the song Screen Door with the cups--incredible. I was so sad when he died.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elegantlion said:

I met several Nascar drivers in the past. Ex-dh was able to get garage passes when he worked at a Speedway. I stood in a long line to meet Kyle Petty one year. DS was about 5 and Mark Martin was his favorite driver. He waited in line for about 2 hours with me to get an autograph. Robby Gordon gave my son a lug nut off a car and Richard Petty said ds was a cute kid. 

Jonathan Frakes once smiled at me, or at least in my general direction. We were at a huge music festival and I saw this guy walking around with an entourage. I did a double take because I couldn't figure out who he was, he smiled at me. It wasn't until the next day that I realized it was him. We live in the midwest, not the height of celebrity sightings. His visit was noted in the paper. 

I used to work in the airport gift shops and once sold a magazine to Anson Williams (Happy Days). 

We had a doctor once when my son was injured who looked a LOT like Jonathan Frakes. Naturally I raised my kids on Star Trek: Next Generation and they were both completely over the moon at having Commander Riker as the doctor. On our way out, I snagged the doctor and just whispered the whole thing to him and he was tickled pink. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, TheReader said:

@Harriet Vane, how cool about the fencing award! What does your dd fence (does she still?)? DH and I just started fencing about 2 years ago, and it's such a fun sport! 

My dd used to fence epee. Her high school years were very much entwined around the sport, but she stopped fencing regularly when she went to college. She still has her blades, though, and she named each one. 😍

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 3:55 PM, Hilltopmom said:

I live across the street from a very well known children’s book author and dh grew up next door to another one. Names you would recognize but I don’t want to post them here.

I understand, but I’d love to know.

Edited by Elizabeth86

When I was a kid, we went to an international symposium on molecular spectroscopy  that just happened to hit my birthday. My mom had promised me I could pick where we went to dinner, while my dad had invited a colleague to dinner. As a result,we all ended up at Showbiz pizza, playing video games and skee-ball-my family, a few grad students, and a professor. A few months later, my dad commented that I was probably one of a handful of people (outside of immediate family) who could say they'd had a Nobel laureate at their birthday party, because said professor had just been announced as the winner that year. 

We've met a lot of herpetologists and Icthyologists who have been on the Discovery Channel...does that count?

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Katy said:

Oh, I forgot. I saw Tyson Beckford in a mall in suburban Denver in 1996.   He had 3-4 teen boys with him. As I passed him a boy with him said, “See? Another woman who recognizes you!” I stifled a giggle because until the kid said that I didn’t realize who he was, I just thought he was the second most attractive person I’d ever seen. 

Didn't recognize the name and had to look him up. Glad I did!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

Rich Mullins actually spoke at a chapel service at my high school, and then he spent the day popping in and teaching in various classes. He was one of my favorite singers, and I was so awestruck that he was there. He spoke passionately about history and faith. He also popped into choir that day, I think? He came across as folksy and kind and normal. I didn't really talk to him that day (other than getting his autograph), but I very much enjoyed all that he said and sang that day. I saw him in concert later in college when he did the song Screen Door with the cups--incredible. I was so sad when he died.

Oh, how cool! I saw him in concert, too, and at a small performance at a Christian bookstore, where I got his autograph as a teenager. Amazing musician and songwriter. Loved him on piano and on hammered dulcimer. He always struck me as kind and very serious about faith and about serving and helping the poor. 

I remember reading that he gave away all of his money as a way of life. He would give his earnings to the elders in his church, and they'd pay him the average wage of a laborer and then give the rest to charity. His mom was a Quaker and I think sometimes he attended Quaker churches. At the end of his life he taught music on a Navajo reservation and you can hear the influence in some of his songs ("Calling Out Your Name"). He loved St. Francis (as do I) and was considering converting to Roman Catholicism before he died. 

He was a truly unique and talented man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MEmama said:

I don't even know who most of these people are! 🤣

I'm not good at recognizing people and would have no idea if I had an entire conversation with a "celebrity", even if I'd seen them in something before. I'm always a bit nervous I won't recognize people I DO know, never mind people I don't, lol. 

Same.

I am definitely not an awe struck person in regards to celebrity.  When ever I hear of those give always for lunches with a celebrity I think, ‘what would we talk about?’.

I did not have posters on my wall as a teen.

I can’t think of a single celebrity I would want to meet.  

• Like 1

I defeated Hans Solo (and his wife) in Chinatown.

I was about 8-9 months pregnant and waited in line for 30 mins at a famous  bakery in Chinatown. When I left with the custard, I stood right in the middle of the narrow sidewalk and ate, probably had crumbs down my shirt and on the sidewalk. 

Because I was so big, they had to step off the curb to get around me. As they walked 3 steps away, Dh nudged me to tell me who just passed me by. We followed them a couple of blocks, and no one even glanced at them. No one went up to them. They looked really comfortable strolling in Chinatown. And probably was having a most pleasant walk until I rudely interrupted their path.

ETA: oh yeah my brother and I as younger teens made my mom drive by near a school where Bill Cosby was filming. We eagerly waved and he did smile and wave back. Of course we didn’t know what was happening in his personal life, but he was the dad of America back in the 80s-90s.

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, bookbard said:

I know a couple who are actors who would be well-known to some in this country. It is really eye-opening in regards to the career and I really would never encourage a kid to go for it. Intense work for a time and then nothing and not knowing what is happening next. Lots of instability for the kids, having to move around a lot. The people themselves are really emotionally insecure. Both were equally famous but since kids her career has taken the back seat to his, which has been hard for her. They have had times where they have struggled financially and times where they're rubbing elbows with international celebrities. I remember the first time I met the guy, I stepped back, he had that 'wow' factor. I don't see it anymore, at all. 

It's eye-opening how inconsistent the work (and therefore the fame and wealth) is in the industry.

A soapie real-life couple rented an apartment from my parents for awhile. At their peak, they were big names, on the covers of magazines. At that point though, they were out-of-regular-work actors, just living in a nice but average area in Brisbane. 

• Like 1

When I was in HS I went to the very first Star Trek convention ever held (NYC 1972). I don't remember which actors were there, but Gene Roddenberry was there, and I think that was the first time they ever showed blooper reels. There were a bunch of SciFi writers there too, including Harlan Ellison (Stranger in a Strange Land) and Isaac Asimov. Asimov was creepy and when I asked for an autograph, he asked how old I was; when I said 15 he said "that's old enough" and kissed me on the mouth! I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. The friend I'd gone with later told me that Asimov, who was in his 50s, had gotten grabby with another girl, too. 

My HS boyfriend sometimes worked on the lighting crew for the Asbury Park Convention Center, which had a lot of big name concerts, so I got to hang out when a lot of 70s rock bands were there setting up, but the only person I remember really chatting with was Richie Havens, which probably no one under 60 would remember, lol.  I also met Bruce Springsteen in 1970 when his band at the time, Steel Mill, played at my friend's bar mitzvah! He was really skinny and had really long curly hair and my 14 yr old self thought he was just the coolest thing on earth.

I actually used to see a lot of celebrities when I lived in LA, and I once sat next to Paul Newman in a restaurant; he had really skinny legs and bright blue eyes. I was friends with the owner of a well-known club/cabaret/restaurant in LA in the 90s called Cafe Largo, so I saw a lot of art & music people there. I remember Henry Rollins coming in a few days after his best friend had been murdered and he talked about it for about an hour straight, just trying to process it. 

My late FIL was a really interesting guy who was friends with Werner von Braun in the 50s and later went into the film business so he knew a lot of famous actors and directors. He also knew Princess Anne because they rode in a lot of dressage competitions. My ex had an interesting childhood!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, maize said:

I've shaken hands with a US President, a Vice President, and a couple of First Ladies--all while outside the US. 

I'm faceblind so if I ran into a celebrity at random I would be completely clueless.

Me too!!!! If I see anyone outside of where I expect to see them, I walk right past - even if I've known them for some time. I've walked past my mother, and I DO normally recognize her! haha!

It was a relief once I realized there was a name for it. I cannot pick people out of group photographs (except for the people I gave birth to). I will just randomly pick people with the same color/length of hair until I find the right one. It's exhausting.

Because of this, I have had a couple random conversations with people I later found out were famous performers, but I didn't recognize them at the time. Just carried on a normal chit-chatty conversation about this-or-that and went about my business until someone came up to me and told me who I'd been talking to. Luckily, I give zero hoots about famous people in the wild, and just treat everyone exactly the same, so I wasn't mortified or anything.

(but I can recognize an actor in one show and know I've seen them in something else before. It makes no sense. If I were to bump into them in person, I would have no idea who they were at all)

My parents had several business events that I attended with them when I was young and met tons of famous people at those events. (actors, singers) As an adult, I've bumped into situations with famous people very randomly.

The only famous person I went ON PURPOSE to see (other than a concert) was Roscoe Orman, who played Gordon on Sesame Street!!! I love him!! and a few politicians/public speakers, but those encounters were rudimentary. I'd love to have a conversation with LeVar Burton if ever given the opportunity.

10 hours ago, lewelma said:

Jermaine Clement from Flight of the Concords lives down the street from me so I seem him walking around pretty regularly.  He's just an everyday guy here and when his kid was young, you could see him pushing him in the stroller. Everyone knows who he is, but we just greet him on the sidewalk or in the park with a 'hi' or a nod like is done here to be friendly. 

I ♥ Jermaine Clement. Flight of the Concords is one of my most favorite shows - ever!

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 3

Dh went to a Boondocks Saints event and had Norman Reedus call me. At, like, midnight. When I was out cold. I was very confused.

I ❤️ Norman Reedus, but I don’t know what I’d say to him even if I was wide awake.  IIRC, I basically said “Hey” and “I was sleeping.” Maybe “Have a good night.” 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Living in NYC, so many. Andersen Cooper at lunch, guy that plays Christopher in sopranos at an ice cream shop, Mr. big at a chain sandwich/salad  shop (by himself and looking miserable), woody Allen and family at a rando dim sum place in Chinatown, and so many I forget. I also work near Fox News HQ  now so I see all sorts of unsavories walking in and out. 
eta that I forgot a run-in. Last house we sold, a certain well known SNL personality made an all cash offer for. This is very ironic for reasons (thinking of a certain skit). Anyway I only found out when I asked for proof of funds and googled the name (different celeb names), and the the outdoor ring camera from the showing confirmed. We did not end up selling to this person  though. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 5

When I was a child I met a kind Olympic athlete who later went on to become a television celebrity and controversial figure.  I've met some Broadway actors.  

My siblings have a knack for recognizing and meeting famous people, as they have no qualms about going up to them to ask for a photo with them.  As my absolutely adorable and very extroverted sister sometimes tells them, "I hate to be that woman... but I am.  Could I please take a photo of us together?"  No one ever refuses.  

Ricky Lake used to shop at the same grocery store as I did.

Steve Carrell lives part time in my area and I had a pic taken with him at a local pizza shop.

Curt Schilling (pitcher for the Red Sox when they won their first World Series - the whole bloody sock thing) coached my daughter's softball team. His daughter and my daughter became best friends and she practically lived at their house. 

** Funny aside -- when Curt Schilling was coaching the softball team they were 12 year old girls. You can just imagine. One game one of the girls, an outfielder, had done her hair in a cute bun and all the girls were commenting on it. Then, when she got out into the field she just kept fixing her hair. Finally Curt had to step out of the dugout and yell "Kaley, stop playing with your hair!!"  They would make him crazy - he would have to drive them to CVS when they forgot their "feminine products" or tell him they couldn't run wind sprints because they had cramps. Poor guy -- I don't think the major league had those problems haha.

• Like 3

I went through airport security in Miami, Florida right behind Diana Ross. She was very petite and I instantly recognized her by her glorious hair. I didn't ask for an autograph or anything because both of us were in a hurry, but we did make eye contact and smiled. 

I met Barbara Bush on a trip to Italy in 2001. We were in Rome at the Colosseum and suddenly all of the Italian men standing around dressed in gladiator gear started shouting "Mama President! Mama President!" My friends and I looked around and about twenty yards away was Barbara Bush ushering her granddaughters into the back of the limo. She then turned around and waved at us because we were so excited. I captured this photo right before she jumped in the limo and they were all whisked away. The craziest thing was when I read Jenna  and her sister Barbara's book a few years ago, they talk about that trip to Italy with their grandmother and I kept thinking, "I was there. I saw you." So wild! 

Screenshot_20230523_200525_Facebook.jpg

• Like 8

Did anyone here watch Bath Crashers when it was on HGTV? I went to school and graduated with Matt Muenster.

I also stayed in a hotel once where Motley Crue was performing (and then the band stayed there afterwards).  I was maybe 14? Anyway, I went to the pool area by myself and went and climbed into the hot tub without really looking at who else was in there.  It wasn't long before I realized the people on the other side of the hot tub were staring at me, as if they were expecting me to say or do something. I did not stay there long at all.