Menu

Where do you keep your batteries?

Terabith

Where do you keep your batteries?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. My husband and I are having a debate.

• In your refrigerator meat drawer
    • Elsewhere in the refrigerator
    • Not in the refrigerator

Honestly, I'm sufficiently disorganized that it makes more sense to me to only buy exactly as many as needed at any given time. Otherwise I lose them. And it wouldn't be the first time something made its way into the fridge that probably shouldn't.

Terabith, seriously, everybody you knew!?

• Like 2

We keep AA, C, etc, not in the fridge. They're in a dresser drawer in a bedroom. We buy them at Costco; we have been out of batteries at critical times in the past, so we keep a bit of stock.

Button batteries, which are not needed as often, are kept in the fridge.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanaqui said:

Honestly, I'm sufficiently disorganized that it makes more sense to me to only buy exactly as many as needed at any given time. Otherwise I lose them. And it wouldn't be the first time something made its way into the fridge that probably shouldn't.

Terabith, seriously, everybody you knew!?

I'm not saying it's not weird.  It was just convention.

And because it was weird, and because batteries are not something we use regularly, having them in a weird place means I'm way more likely to remember where they are.

We keep ours in an organized junk drawer. I don't know anyone who keeps them in the refrigerator.

It's not as weird as you think. Though I never heard of storing batteries in the fridge I googled and found you're not alone. This explains why you shouldn't store batteries in the fridge but also tells why you always thought you should.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/2019/11/06/storing-batteries-refrigerator-myth-versus-fact/4062734002/

Edited by Lady Florida.
Correction: why you*shouldn't* store batteries in the fridge.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I remember when batteries used to be stored in the fridge. So, it’s not totally outlandish, terabith. But we don’t store ours in fridge any more. We now have a plastic bin with a lid where we store all our batteries. (And I feel so proud of how organized that sounds. )

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Because it's cold, which preserves power.  And because that's where everyone I knew kept them when I was growing up.  

We don’t keep ours in the fridge, but until I saw your poll, I had totally forgotten that’s where we kept them growing up. 

• Like 2

Mine are haphazardly placed in their ripped original packaging in the closet in the hallway. The rechargeables are in two different boxes in two different places and then some in the charging dock.

Now that I've wrote that down I guess the real answer is I store my batteries haphazardly all over the place so actually I wouldn't be surprised if maybe some are in the fridge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

37 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have something very similar on a wall in our pantry. 

51 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I never knew I needed something like this until now! 

We (currently) keep ours in a drawer in the office/school room, but now I NEED this battery organizer thingie!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

I remember when batteries used to be stored in the fridge. So, it’s not totally outlandish, terabith. But we don’t store ours in fridge any more. We now have a plastic bin with a lid where we store all our batteries. (And I feel so proud of how organized that sounds. )

Same. 

And I too am tempted to get one of the organizers.

Edited by Pawz4me

My family kept them in a side door in the refrigerator when I was a child.  But then my parents stopped at some point and I never started it as an adult.

Currently mine are in the top drawer of my China cabinet, which is in my kitchen.  I have always kept them in a kitchen drawer.  

I bought one of those battery storage chests - since we buy the big things of batteries at costco - it actually takes up less space.  and it has a battery charge detector thingy in it too.  It's in a cupboard in the laundry room.   

• Like 2

I've never heard of them being stored in the fridge, but I guess I can understand why you might.  I wonder if different parts of the country tend to do this more.

I store them in a large ziplock bag in my junk drawer!  We don't use a lot of batteries though, and I haven't run into problems with them not working.

6 hours ago, momto3innc said:

Exactly the same. Laundry room cabinet. There’s a plastic bin of batteries, one of light bulbs, and one of flashlights. 

This is where ours our.

Batteries. Light bulbs. Yes I've been thinking of putting the flashlights there too.  Alongside toilet tissue, nose tissues and paper towels

33 minutes ago, MEmama said:

This thread is inspiring me to organize the cabinets, a task I have successfully put off for years. I see clearly labeled boxes (that only I will use 🙄) in my near future…

I did this a few months ago, after putting it off for years, and it felt so good to get it done.  It is nice to be able to put my hands on what I need without having to dig through a bunch of crap and try to figure out where what I need could possibly be.   I also just love knowing it is all organized.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 10:07 AM, Brittany1116 said:

19 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have a battery organizer mounted on the wall in the laundry/pantry 

I also have them in a basket (labeled finally last year) -- I could not do one of those organizer thingies, because it needs to be something where the new ones can just be thrown in. 

This thread did make me realize the basket should be moved out of my craft area and into some common area though 😄

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LaughingCat said:

I also have them in a basket (labeled finally last year) -- I could not do one of those organizer thingies, because it needs to be something where the new ones can just be thrown in. 

This thread did make me realize the basket should be moved out of my craft area and into some common area though 😄

This. And also the organizer might not hold all the batteries in a pack, so I’d need a second place to put the remaining batteries (like um, a basket…).

They are neat though. I’d never seen one before. Pinterest level organization! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

We only have food in the fridge.

I have never heard of anyone having batteries in the fridge before. 

We also keep castration bands in the fridge (they keep longer that way) and animal penicillin and cow vaccines.  But no batteries.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 1