Menu

Does anyone else think that pi day is stupid?

EKS

Well, I think a lot of holidays are stupid. So one that celebrates something math in a society largely math illiterate is kind of okay I guess. 

I would like to eliminate Sweetest Day, Boss Day, Secretary Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and about a million other Hallmark holidays. At least this one I have zero obligation to acknowledge with anyone. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

I’ve never felt it was stupid. I’ve never participated, but always felt it was just a cute little way for teachers to celebrate math. I’ll dislike it more when it become commercialized. (And today was the first year that I can remember Wegmans advertising pies that way, so maybe it won’t be long?)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

How do you feel about Mar10 day? Or Star Wars Day? 😆

Our family celebrates both of those! Actually, we started a "Tour di Pizza" on MAR10 Day, and we're wrapping it up today, with one last kind of pizza (pie)! 🙂

And then there's the Revenge of the Fifth...

• Like 2

When my son was little he decided to celebrate Papaya Day.  He made decorations and hung them around the house and told us Happy Papaya Day.  I wanted to support his creativity and bought a papaya.  He took one bite and was outraged.  He stormed through the house ripping down his decorations.  He'd never actually eaten a papaya and assumed it was delicious.  He was so little then and had no control over his emotions. That papaya broke is heart!

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 5
  • Haha 19

Gotta be honest . . . while my own kids have been "in the know" for many years now, I had the *DISTINCT privilege of explaining "pi" to a local 10 year old, and - yeah, I just love it every single time. It's seriously MAGIC. Eyes widen, forehead scrunches up, often some squinting . . . "Wait . . . EVERY SINGLE CIRCLE?! The number works with EVERY SINGLE CIRCLE?! The rope across the middle goes around the outside 3 plus a little bit? The same little bit?!?! And even the super smartest and super fastest can't even WRITE it?! NO WAY!!!!!!!!"

Aaahhhhhhhhh. ❤️ 

We old ones take these cosmic mysteries so casually.

PLUS there's actual pie. 

• Like 22

29 minutes ago, EKS said:

Technically, that's still not pi.

wink wink. but but but.... But if I eat my pie on 3.14 at 1.59 o clock... is it at least a little closer?   or at least eat a bite of pie in 1.59 seconds.  

we're doing pizza, and peach pie on graham cracker crust.  and I don't even have anyone to teach math to anymore.

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

I am totally bringing this up over pie tonight! Cracking me up.

We had soup for lunch (round bowls), and there will be pizza for dinner.

We always read aloud Sir Cumference, too, and have some math fun. Now I’m going to work in fractions, too.

• Like 1

I once started a Pie club with a few friends.  Sometimes we met on 3-14.  Everyone carved the pi symbol into their crusts that day.  One of our member's children's school sold Ultimate Pi Day t-shirts around 3-14-2015.  Every man woman and child in Pie club bought one.  We had an origin story.  We had The Reading of the Pies.  We had a closing song.  We had mortified teenagers who put up with our nonsense because they wanted pie.  Sometimes we'd have 8. 10, 12 kinds of pie in a single gathering . . . both sweet and savory. I miss that crew and dining with friends.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

How do you feel about Mar10 day? Or Star Wars Day? 😆

10th of March is my brother’s wife birthday, 4th of May is my brother’s (only sibling) birthday 🙂 

My maternal side of the family are Star Wars fans and my kids have the Star Wars lego sets. DS17 sewed these at the library when he was very young.

We used to like Trader Joe’s pecan pie but their quality dropped. 

5B8AA45A-3973-4644-86A2-74F7BC2FF76C.jpeg

• Like 2

This thread inspired me. It was my first year participating. I made 3 pies (pumpkin, cherry and blueberry) and 3 mini pies (1 banana cream and 2 peanut butter cream). Earlier, I didn't see the comment about making the Pi symbol in crust. Chicken pot pie and pizza are great ideas too. I'll do better next year. It was fun.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kiwik said:

It only works in the US I think.  Or are there other places that go month before day?

A friend worked for a US agency in Thailand. After a few months there she decreed that all the filing - paper files in those days - had to be marked in international date style, as the US version was causing too much confusion.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

A friend worked for a US agency in Thailand. After a few months there she decreed that all the filing - paper files in those days - had to be marked in international date style, as the US version was causing too much confusion.

This is why I date everything military-style so there is no confusion. 15MAR22

I never attempt a 24-hour clock at work because people’s heads would explode. 

You know, National Pie Day is really January 23rd, so you can milk it and eat pie for TWO days. Follow me for more Pie Club advice and winter survival tips. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, KungFuPanda said:

This is why I date everything military-style so there is no confusion. 15MAR22

I never attempt a 24-hour clock at work because people’s heads would explode. 

You know, National Pie Day is really January 23rd, so you can milk it and eat pie for TWO days. Follow me for more Pie Club advice and winter survival tips. 

We often use the 24-hour clock at work and our new timetabling officer, from the US, has been doing a lot of mental arithmetic.