Menu

I published an article!

Mrs Tiggywinkle

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

And I just have to add--well done, indeed! So much fabulous, accurate, compassionate, and clinical wisdom. The world needs more of this.

I agree!  I forwarded it to several friends who would be interested.  Very well done!

• Like 1

Very good article.

As a special Ed teacher and parent of young adults we often use these ideas.

I remember one doctor asked my daughter her favorite music and together they rocked out to Queen while the doctor stitched her up.   That made a huge difference.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

This link includes my name so I will delete this later, but I am super proud.

My sister and I co-wrote an article and it published today!  A year ago I decided it was time to start pursuing my life dreams and goals, and this was one.  I am really excited lol and you all are my imaginary friends according to my kids, so I wanted to share the news. 🙂

https://www.ems1.com/ems-products/neonatal-pediatric/articles/how-to-assess-pediatric-mental-health-emergencies-sbt14L2e3wNAH7bQ/

Great article! My son has severe autism and has aggressive/agitated behaviors when stressed. The information in the article is so important for first responders!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Great article! My son has severe autism and has aggressive/agitated behaviors when stressed. The information in the article is so important for first responders!

I have actually been invited to speak at 5 EMS conferences nationally this upcoming year on interacting with autistic patients.   It is really, really important(as you know) that first responders know how best to treat a patient who has autism.

my autistic child wound up in handcuffs at school last year. After that incident, I made it my mission to train our local law enforcement,  EMS and fire departments on autism and that has suddenly bloomed into National speaking and writing engagements.   Mom is not always going to be able to show up when my son is in crisis, but I hope and pray that I have trained the people who do.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I have actually been invited to speak at 5 EMS conferences nationally this upcoming year on interacting with autistic patients.   It is really, really important(as you know) that first responders know how best to treat a patient who has autism.

my autistic child wound up in handcuffs at school last year. After that incident, I made it my mission to train our local law enforcement,  EMS and fire departments on autism and that has suddenly bloomed into National speaking and writing engagements.   Mom is not always going to be able to show up when my son is in crisis, but I hope and pray that I have trained the people who do.

Thank you so much for doing this.  I'm so sorry for what you and your poor child went through but I know your work will prevent this from happening again to other children and families.  Raising awareness and training those who work with children is so important - you are making a huge difference!  ❤️ 

• Like 6

Congratulations!!! What a wonderful article!

I thought this line, especially, was so important and absolutely spot on “You’re the professional on scene and you set the tone. Others will increase or decrease their emotional levels to match yours, so direct supporting agency staff to follow your lead.”

I teach our new hires the same thing. In any situation, but especially mental health incidents, everyone on scene - including the cops - will take their lead from you, the paramedic. Be the adult and always be professional.

I have been increasingly impressed with the quality of EMS magazines and journals over the past five or so years. So much more professional than when I first started. Are you speaking at NAEMSP?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, brehon said:

Congratulations!!! What a wonderful article!

I thought this line, especially, was so important and absolutely spot on “You’re the professional on scene and you set the tone. Others will increase or decrease their emotional levels to match yours, so direct supporting agency staff to follow your lead.”

I teach our new hires the same thing. In any situation, but especially mental health incidents, everyone on scene - including the cops - will take their lead from you, the paramedic. Be the adult and always be professional.

I have been increasingly impressed with the quality of EMS magazines and journals over the past five or so years. So much more professional than when I first started. Are you speaking at NAEMSP?

No, I am taking the winter months off. I’m scheduled for the NC state conference, Wisconsin state, Initial assessment in Lake Placid, and I’m waiting to hear back from the fall slew of conferences.

I’m a moron and decided now while we’re running 20 calls in 24 hours was a fantastic time to study for and test for my FP-C, so I’m working on that the next two months. That test is brutal.

• Like 1