Menu

What do you serve for Christmas breakfast?

DawnM

We have always had cinnamon rolls and I used to go to great lengths to make the ones posted here, but I no longer do that.  I have a CAN of cinnamon rolls (don't judge!) and I am making an egg casserole with hashbrowns.  I will have my son premake the casserole tonight.

• Like 6

We sometimes make bacon and eggs in the AM (if we are having our main meal late), and sometimes I make monkey bread (if we are having our main meal earlier).  Tomorrow is going to be monkey bread, since my sister's family flight arrives at 2 pm instead of the usual 7 pm.  I will probably assemble it tonight and then just pop it in the oven tomorrow AM.  I am using canned biscuits so no judgment from me.

• Like 2

My kids like breakfast sandwiches - bagels with eggs, sausage, and cheese.  I prefer some kind of egg/cheese/bread casserole (there's one I love that uses Bisquick) but I do the sandwiches to make them happy.   We used to just do the cinnamon rolls out of the can and they would eat lots of candy.  🙂  

• Like 2

We usually do scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and cream cheese, and cinnamon rolls. Most years we do the canned rolls though I have done homemade. Eh, for me, while I think  the homemade ones are far superior, they are also so much work and still require getting up early in the morning if we want them fresh... It's not worth it. One of my kids gave me the sad puppy eyes when I said I didn't want to make them. Then once I told her the choices were canned rolls or her making them, she decided that the canned ones are fine. 

Even when we do cinnamon rolls or other pastry, we have eggs and/or protein in some form, I can't start the day with nothing but sweet carbs.

I also like an overnight egg/bread/cheese etc casserole.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

This year is biscuits and gravy. 
DS(19) - making the biscuits this evening.
Me - cook up the sausage tonight.

Tomorrow morning - I'll brush the pan of biscuits with melted butter and heat them slightly in the oven.  Either dh or I will make the gravy and add the sausage.

We try to keep Christmas morning lowkey but filling.  This will tide everyone over (along with the nuts and things in their stockings) until a late lunch.

• Like 3

I fix some Grands canned cinnamon rolls for DH and the boys (sweets have little appeal for me).

I don't have anything against making them from scratch, but by the time we get around to Christmas breakfast I'm generally pretty done with holiday cooking (in all meanings of the word "done"). The last thing I want to do on Christmas day is spend any more time cooking than absolutely necessary. In fact, I spent all day yesterday cooking so I am "done" already!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Frances said:

Ableskievers (Danish pancake balls) with strawberries and fresh whipped cream and either bacon or sausage. My son is the one who has perfected the technique of making them in the special cast iron pan, so he does the majority of the work.

I have one of those pans and have made them in the past.  I used to do it when the kids were younger and they would inject things into them and they had so much fun.  Now it is too much effort. #TeensArentFunAtChristmasAnymore

19 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I fix some Grands canned cinnamon rolls for DH and the boys (sweets have little appeal for me).

I don't have anything against making them from scratch, but by the time we get around to Christmas breakfast I'm generally pretty done with holiday cooking (in all meanings of the word "done"). The last thing I want to do on Christmas day is spend any more time cooking than absolutely necessary. In fact, I spent all day yesterday cooking so I am "done" already!

We alternate years with cinnamon rolls.  I never cook them on Christmas day!  I do up the pan the day before (or even 2 days, if I have the evening of the 23rd free instead), pop the lid on, and stick it in the fridge.  The next morning, I heat up the oven, the pan comes out of the fridge while the coffee is made, and then when the oven is at the right temp I stick them in.  Easy. 
I think I actually spend more time with the biscuits and gravy.  I barely even have to touch the cinnamon roll dough -the mixer kneads it well.  Most of what I do is roll, do the filling, and cut.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

We alternate years with cinnamon rolls.  I never cook them on Christmas day!  I do up the pan the day before (or even 2 days, if I have the evening of the 23rd free instead), pop the lid on, and stick it in the fridge.  The next morning, I heat up the oven, the pan comes out of the fridge while the coffee is made, and then when the oven is at the right temp I stick them in.  Easy. 
I think I actually spend more time with the biscuits and gravy.  I barely even have to touch the cinnamon roll dough -the mixer kneads it well.  Most of what I do is roll, do the filling, and cut.

Oh yeah, I know they can be made ahead. But see my post--I was already very "done" with Christmas cooking and baking yesterday (two days ahead). And that was because I was doing so much that was needed for DH's family's dinner last night.

• Like 1

Red and green waffles or pancakes.  My mom would make them when we were younger and we’ve managed to do them nearly every Christmas for the last 21 years. Sometimes food coloring is hard to find in the places we’ve lived. 

We do ebelskivers on Christmas Eve.  

• Like 2

On 12/24/2018 at 10:42 AM, Amira said:

Red and green waffles or pancakes.  My mom would make them when we were younger and we’ve managed to do them nearly every Christmas for the last 21 years. Sometimes food coloring is hard to find in the places we’ve lived. 

We do ebelskivers on Christmas Eve.  

And we do the reverse. 🙂

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

Is your baked oatmeal more like a cake?  Do you have a recipe?

Yes, it's like cake but I tell myself it's healthy because it's oatmeal 🙂

3 c quick oats, heaping half cup packed brown sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup milk, half cup melted butter, 2 beaten egg. Mix all and bake in greased 9" square pan at 350 for 30-40 min. Serve with milk and/or fruit.

You can do 1.5 recipes in a 9x13.

• Like 2

We do French toast with cinnamon chip bread, bacon, scrambled eggs as an option for half of us, and orange juice. There was a time I added a can of cinnamon rolls but it was too much food. Now we save that for dd's birthday in a few days. And homemade cinnamon rolls just makes way too much for us so I prefer the cans!

• Like 1

Are we the only ones who don't eat breakfast on Christmas? We save our appetite for dinner. 🙂 

Sometimes one or more of us will have a quick bite of something not very filling just to hold us over until dinner - a slice of toast,  a small amount of yogurt, or a piece of fruit (often grapefruit or an orange from the backyard tree before our fruit trees died).

Our Christmas dinner is cheese ravioli and meatballs, which is very filling. And we love it so much that we want to have room to eat more without still being full from breakfast. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

We usually do cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, bacon, and a hash brown casserole.  This year, we're doing a breakfast instead of dinner, so ham and sour cream gravy, toast, cinnamon rolls, fruit salad, bacon, scrambled eggs, hash brown casserole.  I really want to try cinnamon rolls from scratch but worried about time...

Edited by readinmom

French toast (made with my homemade cinnamon swirl bread).  It's the one time a year I make french toast for my crew.  It just takes too long and takes sooo much bread and eggs and butter and....  So I only do it on Christmas.   They suffer through pancakes every weekend the rest of the year.

6 hours ago, MysteryJen said:

Usually an egg/bread casserole with breakfast sausages, coffee cake and fruit, OJ/mimosas, and tomorrow there will also be some danish pastry courtesy of ds3.

We also do egg casserole with hollandaise and oj/mimosas.  We also do monkey bread.  We will prepare the casserole and monkey bread tonight to bake tomorrow.  Our company just left.  Tomorrow is just the four of us and a low key, relaxing day.

Edited by mlktwins

I don't make breakfast. No one seems hungry for it after our Christmas Eve appetizer spread and we have mid afternoon dinner ahead of us.  I get up early and start baking dinner rolls so everyone nabs a few hot out of the oven. Add OJ or spiced cider and everyone is happy.. 

• Like 2

We are doing cinnamon rolls, fried potatoes, and scrambled eggs😁.  The potatoes are my favorite...cinnamon rolls are the kids/my husband's favorite, and the eggs should help balance the crazy sugar load😂.  I just booked all of our children's dental appointments because well after tomorrow they will need them😂.

Brenda

• Like 1

Hot tea and whatever cereal, toast, or cooked breakfast you are big enough to catch and cook for yourself. Like every other day. But I felt like being nice and actually made some GF cinnamon rolls tonight to bake tomorrow. Since two of us are down with a bad cold and will be staying home from Christmas family things later in the day, seemed like the thing to do.