Menu

What do you serve for Christmas breakfast?

DawnM

53 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

The past few years dh has made sh*t on a shingle, aka chipped beef gravy and biscuits.  It's a TON of work though so this year he's making chocolate chip pancakes.  Oldest dd was disappointed.  She doesn't get sh*t on a shingle very often anymore.

This will probably be dinner tomorrow evening. Got a roast and there will be gravy...

I used to put a lot of effort into homemade cinnamon rolls, but now I buy the frozen ones (Rhodes, in a bag) and call it good. I can fit 1 1/2 bags of them in a 9X13, all squished, and when they rise they POOF and fill up nicely and get awesome. I put them in the frig the night before and in the morning I'll pull them out and let them rise till doubled and then bake off. Yum.

And yes egg/hashbrown casserole here too.

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I used to put a lot of effort into homemade cinnamon rolls, but now I buy the frozen ones (Rhodes, in a bag) and call it good. I can fit 1 1/2 bags of them in a 9X13, all squished, and when they rise they POOF and fill up nicely and get awesome. I put them in the frig the night before and in the morning I'll pull them out and let them rise till doubled and then bake off. Yum.

And yes egg/hashbrown casserole here too.

I also gave up making homemade cinnamon rolls.  Last year I bought the refrigerated rolls in a tube.  This year we are having bagels and cream cheese.   Dh bought them at Einstein's this morning.    

I used to make sticky pecan rolls for breakfast when my Dad was alive, as those were his favorite.  My Mom always liked a good breakfast casserole....eggs, cheese, bread or hashbrowns, sausage or bacon (turkey when I make it).

This year, she wants me to make her an omelette...so that's what I'll do.  My kids want me to make pancakes with M&Ms.  Once again, not a difficult request to fill.  I thought about making the sticky buns this year....but it's the first Christmas without my Dad....and it's just too hard.  Maybe next year....

• Like 2

My dh always had Snack Pack cereal boxes on Christmas morning as a kid.  Kids thought it was special, but it made for an easy breakfast for Mom!

But our family always has Christmas breakfast with my parents who are 100% Swedish descendants.  Soooo..... cardamom bread or rolls and strong coffee.  We usually supplement it with scrambled eggs and grapefruit.  🙂

• Like 1

Cinnamon rolls (not homemade, but Rhodes brand...they have to rise so they taste a bit more homemade), bacon, eggs, biscuits, hash brown casserole, and fruit. We don’t have a big Christmas meal later in the day, so brunch is bigger. My parents always come and eat with us too, which makes it special. 

10 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

The kids and I like quiche lorraine (what my mom used to fix for Christmas Day) but DH hates it so it’s either biscuits and sausage gravy w/eggs and fruit or cinnamon rolls w/eggs and sausage and fruit. Waiting to poll the peeps til jammies are on.

Looks like I am headed to your house 😂 biscuits and gravy would be my favorite for sure...but my kids go mom you only let us have cinnamon rolls on holidays😂.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J-rap said:

My dh always had Snack Pack cereal boxes on Christmas morning as a kid.  Kids thought it was special, but it made for an easy breakfast for Mom!

But our family always has Christmas breakfast with my parents who are 100% Swedish descendants.  Soooo..... cardamom bread or rolls and strong coffee.  We usually supplement it with scrambled eggs and grapefruit.  🙂

We always had those little cereal boxes when we went camping and we thought they were the greatest. My mom would cut them open and pour the milk right in. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, homemommy83 said:

Looks like I am headed to your house 😂 biscuits and gravy would be my favorite for sure...but my kids go mom you only let us have cinnamon rolls on holidays😂.

It’s a tough call. If they still woke up early, I’d do the cinnamon rolls too. When they wake up at 10 (or are woken up in our case) I need something quick and easy. 😁

• Like 1

DH is making his Modified Mountain Man Breakfast.  He uses reindeer polish sausage always instead of breakfast sausage(I can’t eat pork) and it’s always super tasty!

Eating Reindeer on Christmas Day is one of our family traditions - because only 9 reindeer get to pull Santa’s sleigh each year ....... the rest Get Invited To Breakfast as Sausage!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/216742/dutch-oven-mountain-man-breakfast/

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Haha 1

Bagels for the three of us who don't need to avoid gluten, with choice of cream cheese or vegan margarine.

Frozen gluten-free waffles for the one of us who does need to avoid the stuff.

Hash brown patties for anyone who likes them.

We don't make much of an effort to eat "healthy" on Christmas morning, although even the carb-fest in which we usually indulge is a step up from the "just eat some of the candy out of your stocking" approach of my own childhood.