Menu

An update of sorts

G5052

DH and I had separated because of his mental health issues.

Last Friday he tried to commit suicide some distance from home, but was found and taken to a major medical center.

He pulled through after several days in ICU and is currently receiving in-patient treatment. We moved there and have been seeing him daily. We're starting to see flashes of what he was like several years ago, so we are encouraged.

We'd appreciate your thoughts and prayers as the treatment team works out what happens when he leaves the hospital. We've had a lot of hard medical issues with him. He's been battling PTSD and depression for years, and more recently dementia. 

Thankfully we have a therapist we've been seeing as a family for over a decade who knows the whole backstory already, and she's helping us with a psychiatrist.

This is certainly the hardest thing I've ever been through.

• Like 7

I am so, so sorry.

With dementia in the mix, is there some kind of nursing facility he could move into? Or is this a situation where the mental health issues might respond well enough to medical treatment for him to be independent again?

Are your finances still tied to his? Am I imagining that you had looked into divorce as a way for his medical issues not to drain family assets (I might have you mixed up with someone else).

My dh has been very close to suicide on several occasions; the power of mental illness to override normal thinking processes is frightening. In his case treatment is mostly successful in restoring brain function so he can live a normal life and be a husband and father; the illness can make his real personality inaccessible at times but it has always been there underneath and resurfaces once functionality is restored.

Many hugs to you and your children and to him as well.

• Like 3

Praying for total healing in all aspects: your dh's mental health, your relationship, the kids, etc.

Praying that through this tragedy come many blessings! I'm glad your seeing glimpses of who your dh

really is!

:iagree: what she said because I can't even think of what to say except things like, that sounds like a difficult thing to be going through, I hope the best for all of you, and you are brave to share because that can be one of the hardest things to do. No judgment here, I've known too many people who succeeded in ending their lives and it is never the fault of anyone. It is mental illness.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing so we can pray for you, dh and your family. I wish that I could think of something brilliant to say but...wishing that I could give you a hug and finding myself speechless. Praying that easier days are ahead for all of you.  :grouphug:

• Like 1