Menu

Anyone actually done homeschool uniforms?

ktgrok

I'm sort of seriously thinking about it. We are having some trouble acknowledging the seriousness of actually needing to do school right now. And my daughter's favorite pants are actually uniform pants (they seem to be cut so that her butt doesn't hang out, lol). Half tempted to order some polo shirts and pants/shorts for school days, to clarify that they are, in fact, school days. And cause they look cute, lol. Maybe even have them embroidered. 

Anyone done this, other than Kendra at the Catholic All Year blog?

I’ve seen it in a large family that homeschooled but never was brave enough to ask if it was a uniform or just the ultimate hand-me-down plan. All the girls wore jumper dresses over T-shirt’s and all the boys wore polo shirts with black pants. It seemed like more work for Mom to me but maybe if that’s all the clothes you had to buy......

I don’t think it would have made my kids “more serious†about school

• Like 2

I remember toying with the idea of getting extras of our homeschool group t-shirts for them to wear during school time. But that was a fleeting thought.  I don't know, I can see how the idea is attractive but on the other hand I didn't consider my home a school, and didn't really want a hard line between "now it's time to learn" and the rest of their time.

Now don't anyone think I'm implying anything about families who operate differently from mine.  I'm basing this on the way my kids think, or used to think.

No.  I don't want the extra laundry.  :lol: My oldest spent his last two years of school wearing uniforms for different activities and it was just overwhelming.

We do a basic routine that seems to signify it is a school day.  We are working if everyone is up by 7 and chores (including getting dressed) are done by 8. It sets the tone from breakfast on.

If we're all hanging out in our pjs and making a nice leisurely breakfast, tv on, then it's the weekend.

• Like 1

When my dc were little their best friends attended private school and wore uniforms, so my dc wanted some, too. They were persistent, so I picked up some polo shirts on deep clearance at Target. The dc were happier to do their schoolwork, and getting dressed each day went faster. They tired of "uniforms" about three months later, so we passed them on to another family.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

The only reason I would do this is if I lived in an area where all students wear school uniforms, and the uniform would help kids avoid attention or suspicion when out and about.

Or if I had kids who thought it would be fun or helpful. I could see my ds years ago going for a Gryffindor cloak. :)

• Like 5

Well we did school today with my son in star wars underwear. Me and my boys hate wearing outside clothes. Sometimes it seems my second son and I have a race to see who can get their comfy clothes on fastet when we get home. We never wear outside clothes at home. This imo is one of the greatest things about homeschool. I remember crying about getting ready for school as a kid and crying because my clothes itched and what not.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 3

No, I haven’t, but if you think it will help your kids focus, and click into school mode, and your DC want to do it ... why not?

It’s just one more tool you can use, it’s a signal to the kiddos’ brains that they are in school mode. Whatever works in your house!

For me, eh, I see the appeal/usefulness/ease, but it wouldn’t work. My kids are eclectic dressers, and what they want to wear varies day to day. Plus, my DH is still recovering from his Catholic school days, and I think it would send him into cardiac arrest.

But, really, if your peeps are game and you think it might be good - go for it!

• Like 1

The only reason I would do this is if I lived in an area where all students wear school uniforms, and the uniform would help kids avoid attention or suspicion when out and about.

Or if I had kids who thought it would be fun or helpful. I could see my ds years ago going for a Gryffindor cloak. :)

I not infrequently have students dressed in Hogwarts attire in my classroom. ;)

• Like 7

I've never thought of it.  But I'm now wondering if I can get a whole new wardrobe out of this idea if I convince DH that dressing up would make me treat our homeschool with more seriousness  :lol:  (wait, can teacher's wear yoga pants, skinny jeans and Lilly Pulitzer shorts??)

If uniforms would work for your family, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 1

We did for a little while.  It really helped cement in their heads that school time means working and the division between school and fun in our house.  Once they got that down (after a few months), we stopped the uniforms and haven't needed them since.

And they were really adorable lol

Our closest thing to uniform is pajama onsies on my teens.  Animals, star wars characters, super heros, etc.  :lol:

I think a nametag/lanyard idea isn't a bad one if you want to set some ground rules for school time without the extra expense and laundry of clothing. 

I like the idea of it, but then they'd have to change to play outside in the Georgia Clay. If they can't wear it the whole school day, it wouldn't be worth it for me.

But my oldest is only 8. I could see an older kid needing to "get dressed" to be more productive. I do that myself.

my dd always liked the uniform catalog from Lands End/LLBean.  There was a year we bought a bunch of polos and she wore those with beige pants or skirt.  It was her desire lol.  We did a lot of field trips when younger and honestly it did look nice.  We received less questions about being out of school when dressed nicer ;-)

I've been trying for years to break down DD's perceived barrier between "school activities" (which she loathes) and "fun stuff" (which she likes). Uniforms would undermine that. I might have done it when she was younger and would have bought in to the idea.

• Like 3

Well we did school today with my son in star wars underwear. Me and my boys hate wearing outside clothes. Sometimes it seems my second son and I have a race to see who can get their comfy clothes on fastet when we get home. We never wear outside clothes at home. This imo is one of the greatest things about homeschool. I remember crying about getting ready for school as a kid and crying because my clothes itched and what not.

Sorry to be nosy, but I’m trying to picture what this means. What do you wear when you’re at home?

I have never distinguished between “outside†clothes and “at home†clothes — at our house, it’s regular clothes, pajamas, or workout outfits, but even the workout clothes are worn outside the house.

We tried the "take a walk to start the school day" thing to simulate walking to school.  Total fail.  I forgot about DS9's allergies, and by the time we got home, his eyes were red and swollen and I had to give him enough Benadryl to see that he couldn't even remember his addition facts within 10.

I do make them get dressed (unless they showered and "got dressed" the night before) and make beds.  The beds aren't a huge deal for them, but it is for me.  If get up for coffee and come back to the bedroom, and there's a cozy unmade bed, I'm probably gonna get in it.  DS8 tends to lose violin components in an unmade bed too.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it.  I do make my kids get dressed before school, but I am easy to talk into a cozy day (getting to wear pajamas) most of the time if they ask.  I am not a uniform sort of person.  I find the clothing uncomfortable.  I hate polo shirts especially.  To make our home more "school time" minded I instituted a start time each morning, and no screens or toys until school is done for the day except for breaks.  This has worked pretty well for us.

But I think every family can do whatever works for them, that one of the nice things about homeschooling.

My kids are very black and white thinkers, so it would only work if uniforms were always and only for school times.  But that just sounds like a lot of work, expense and extra laundry.  And the distinction between school and not-school is so fuzzy at our house (my kids just spent lunch time bugging me to give them harder and harder mental math problems to do), that either they would end up changing from uniforms to "play clothes" a dozen times a day, or the uniforms would just become regular clothes and not synonymous with school time.

My kids are pretty much in "uniforms" of their own choosing anyway.  Peter always chooses jeans and a hoodie.  Elliot chooses jeans and a sweatshirt.  Spencer likes "soft" (aka fleece) pants and shirts.  Audrey just wants to wear kitties and monsters...preferably at the same time if possible.

Wendy

• Like 3

If it works for you, it works for you.  There's nothing wrong with it.  My kids live in their jammies, and some days I do, too.  I've thought of insisting that we all dress in regular clothes every day, but it doesn't seem to change their ability to concentrate, so I don't do it.  It does change my ability to get chores done.  If I'm dressed, I can run around the house better to tidy.  If I'm in my jammies, I just don't.  But for schoolwork, the clothes don't seem to matter.

If you love the idea, then do it.  There have been enough people posting who said that it worked for them, so I'd try it if I was you.

I've never thought of it.  But I'm now wondering if I can get a whole new wardrobe out of this idea if I convince DH that dressing up would make me treat our homeschool with more seriousness  :lol:  (wait, can teacher's wear yoga pants, skinny jeans and Lilly Pulitzer shorts??)

If uniforms would work for your family, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I wish! I think my day at school would be so much better if I could just wear jeans!!!!

But no.... apparently it's "not professional."   :glare:

My daughters insist on wearing a matching "uniform" daily. Of course, it consists of a pajama top and leggings, and has nothing to do with taking school seriously.

I've noticed some people seem to take clothing very seriously (like FlyLady and her whole outfit and shoes in the house thing), and if your daughter is one of those people ,this would certainly help her.

But if she is like me, maybe what would help her is getting to do her schoolwork in a beanbag with some essential oil diffusing and thermos full of tea. I've never been able to work in ways that other people consider Taking It Seriously- it gives me stomach pains and makes me depressed. Give me pants with an elastic waistband and a big window and I do my best thinking, which often might appear to others to be gazing out the window at a tree.

Skip this part, because you just asked about uniforms, if you want, but...is it possible your daughter's impulse not to take some of what you're asking her to do seriously actually a good sign that she is a happy, healthy kid? Because, honestly, I grew up in a family that had a thing about wearing uniforms to school and being self-disciplined and serious from a young age...and I kind of wish they'd waited until I was past the age of puberty, at least, to insist upon those things. Childhood is about taking things lightly.

• Like 3

DS went through an I-don't-want-to-do-school phase around that age. He was already usually wearing clothes that looked like a school uniform (polo and pull-on cargo pants) on weekdays.

Ultimately I had to pull the compulsory education card (I printed out a PS enrollment form and was willing to use it), but we also did a bit of negotiating what we did in school--e.g., I dropped a music curriculum that wasn't working--and in what order (he has to do the hardest stuff first to get through everything).

Mine don't take school seriously until about 11.  (so far).  For us, uniforms would not help - it would just waste our "fighting about doing the one mandatory half hour of schoolwork a day" on "putting on these uncomfortable clothes that you didn't pick out."  We already have this fight about changing dirty clothes for clean ones; I have no interest in fighting about which clean clothes to wear.  My standards are low.

I have had the most success with DS9 by disguising all schoolwork as voluntary fun non-schoolwork in which he is personally invested, separate of math (on which his computer time is dependent).

DD12 sort of grumbled through it until this past year, when she finally realized working at academic subjects was both satisfying and important to her.

DD6 is still 6, so it's just connect-the-dots and count-these-bears and practice-reading-cat type stuff, which she thinks is So Grown Up and therefore loves.

I asked my son if pjs were our school uniform.  He said, "Yup."

Sorry, I don't have much to help with your dd.  I do find keeping a consistent daily schedule helpful.  And I've been known to say--it's the law. Either you do it with me or go to public school.  I also find with the younger years it's easy to put subjects off bc, other than LA and math it's all gravy.  The less I say that we won't do things "today" the less I'm asked if we can skip something "today."  So make sure you hit the basics daily (even if a sudden park day or play date interrupts--do it at night)

If you think a uniform would work with her, it's worth a try.

My daughters insist on wearing a matching "uniform" daily. Of course, it consists of a pajama top and leggings, and has nothing to do with taking school seriously.

I've noticed some people seem to take clothing very seriously (like FlyLady and her whole outfit and shoes in the house thing), and if your daughter is one of those people ,this would certainly help her.

But if she is like me, maybe what would help her is getting to do her schoolwork in a beanbag with some essential oil diffusing and thermos full of tea. I've never been able to work in ways that other people consider Taking It Seriously- it gives me stomach pains and makes me depressed. Give me pants with an elastic waistband and a big window and I do my best thinking, which often might appear to others to be gazing out the window at a tree.

Skip this part, because you just asked about uniforms, if you want, but...is it possible your daughter's impulse not to take some of what you're asking her to do seriously actually a good sign that she is a happy, healthy kid? Because, honestly, I grew up in a family that had a thing about wearing uniforms to school and being self-disciplined and serious from a young age...and I kind of wish they'd waited until I was past the age of puberty, at least, to insist upon those things. Childhood is about taking things lightly.

I'm like you...but I'm starting to think my daughter is more like Flylady. And although I'm ok with being relaxed, ti has to get done, and not be a fight. That's where we are at right now. 

Sorry to be nosy, but I’m trying to picture what this means. What do you wear when you’re at home?

I have never distinguished between “outside†clothes and “at home†clothes — at our house, it’s regular clothes, pajamas, or workout outfits, but even the workout clothes are worn outside the house.

What are your regular clothes?

I wear jeans and a blouse out of the house, and when I get home it's mostly knits and lounge pants.

I did this, but I had 13 kids coming to my house for school. It was kind of great since it helped some of my kids' friends also know that when they wear the uniforms they can't go upstairs. It also helped my kids know it is SCHOOL time. But it meant that if they weren't wearing the uniform, they did not want to do school.

I’ve seen it in a large family that homeschooled but never was brave enough to ask if it was a uniform or just the ultimate hand-me-down plan. All the girls wore jumper dresses over T-shirt’s and all the boys wore polo shirts with black pants. It seemed like more work for Mom to me but maybe if that’s all the clothes you had to buy......

DS13 lives in navy/royal blue polo shirts and jeans. DS12 lives in red polo shirts and jeans. I buy their jeans and polo shirts by the half dozens usually during sales. It makes clean laundry sorting easy for my husband. My kids go to sleep in those so no pajamas to purchase.

We had this.  The kids liked the clothes since they actually fit.  For the most part, they were just regular clothes except when the girls wanted to wear their jumpers.   I mean pants and shirts is normal clothing-  I didn't require them to wear any specific colors but they just had pants and polo shirts.

I'm sort of seriously thinking about it. We are having some trouble acknowledging the seriousness of actually needing to do school right now. And my daughter's favorite pants are actually uniform pants (they seem to be cut so that her butt doesn't hang out, lol). Half tempted to order some polo shirts and pants/shorts for school days, to clarify that they are, in fact, school days. And cause they look cute, lol. Maybe even have them embroidered. 

Anyone done this, other than Kendra at the Catholic All Year blog?

Yep.

Love/hate relationship.  Polos fade fairly quick but the kiddos do always look put together.  (I went to parochial school with uniforms.  Loved it - my good clothes always stayed good.) 

LOVE the way the poly skirts, jumpers, etc are absolutely unstainable and unkillable.  Hate that it is *really* hard to find longer skirts.  

Overall, it was a success but there is only so long that you can pull off dressing your kids in uniforms as a homeschooler and not give people the heebie jeebies, lol.  :P :D

• Like 1

I can understand the need to get more disciplined to keep everyone in work mode, but I really never understood how uniforms at home could contribute to this. I’m not convinced that the benefits of school uniforms can transfer to the homeschool environment.

I think you’d be better served creating a schedule and sticking to it. If you want to start school at 9 a.m., your schedule has to start 1-2 hours before that so that everyone can be fed, dressed, cleaned up, and given a chance to get some wiggles out before you can expect focus from your average elementary student. I don’t think you CAN shop your way out of a focus problem.

• Like 4

I can understand the need to get more disciplined to keep everyone in work mode, but I really never understood how uniforms at home could contribute to this. I’m not convinced that the benefits of school uniforms can transfer to the homeschool environment.

I think you’d be better served creating a schedule and sticking to it. If you want to start school at 9 a.m., your schedule has to start 1-2 hours before that so that everyone can be fed, dressed, cleaned up, and given a chance to get some wiggles out before you can expect focus from your average elementary student. I don’t think you CAN shop your way out of a focus problem.

I think it's important to recognize that the uniform won't magically solve the problem.  *BUT* psychologically, people are very affected by what they wear.  When I was young (sigh, flashback) I worked at Von Maur, a high end retail store.  We were only allowed to wear professional dress. Women in dresses only, at the knee or below and dressy, men always with tie and jacket.  Truly, it *does* affect your attitude and the difference between being "on" and "off."  Now, it's all in the HEAD, so, if you put a kiddo in a uniform then let them go off and watch TV for a few hours, then you've lost your psychological edge because you gave it away.  BUT, alternatively, if you utilize it as a tool to signal being "on" and don't let the "we're dressed for school and we're going to do school" fade away, then change clothes when school is "over" for the day, then you get to keep the edge.  

If we're going to be brutally honest, sometimes it's more about inspiring Mom to stay on top of things than the kids.  If this helps you, go for it.  But, realize, like any tool, if you don't actively utilize it, then it's just a tool sitting useless for its purpose in your garage, kwim?  And, it can become that quickly.

I liked the idea behind it (exactly what you're saying) but also the ease.  I liked that I didn't need to eval each kiddo's clothing.  Right now, at our house, kiddo inevitably picks out their favorite shirt that is their "good" shirt that I'd like to stay clean for church or a class or just stay underused so it doesn't fade in the laundry, kwim?  If I don't eval what they come up in, then often, the clothing of the day slips right by me.  I LIKE the idea of them having a no-brainer outfit Monday-Friday.  Am I willing to switch to uniforms? No.  We shop consignment and cheap and when a child has a growth spurt, I'm not going to go order new uniforms.  Had I started it years ago and kept up with it, I could see it being useful.  I think my teens would be really irritated at the idea now. ;)

We eventually moved to nice shirts (button down with collar) and skirt for school days that were not technically uniforms.  Then left it all behind for the chaos we currently have. :D  But there is really nothing quite like staring at a table of a half dozen or so beautiful children, dressed smartly in a uniform, hair all brushed and combed, and ready to get their learnin' on.   :patriot:  :thumbup:

• Like 3