Menu

Anyone actually done homeschool uniforms?

ktgrok

Sorry to be nosy, but I’m trying to picture what this means. What do you wear when you’re at home?

I have never distinguished between “outside†clothes and “at home†clothes — at our house, it’s regular clothes, pajamas, or workout outfits, but even the workout clothes are worn outside the house.

:lol: it's ok to be nosy!

For me, inside clothes include yoga pants that my fat ass wouldn't be caught dead in, in public or shorts. I never show my legs in public. My shirts consist of mens undershirts thats are broken in to a point of soft cottony perfection that is not suitable to be seen by the public due to holes and stains and the fact they are several sizes too big. You would never catch me at home in jeans or long sleeves. Also, I can't wear a regular bra in my house because it instantly becomes itchy the moment I walk inside, so sports bras only at home. I don't wear sports bras in public. I walk in my house and change instantly.

For my ds 6. He pretty much lives in underwear at home. He hates clothes.

My ds 4 lives in pajamas at home.

Dd2 wears about 5 different outfits a day because she loves her clothes. So her inside clothes might be 3 layers of shirts all put on backwards, a dress, a pair of pants, ds boots, a hat all at the same time. Basically it is constant dress up and she always wants to dress like this except when she tries to be stark naked all day long. So, her outside clothes involve 1 shirt and 1 pair of pants that match and are all turned around the right way, not backwards and inside out.

Does that paint a better picture. Basically for me, I find something comfortable and I don't care how unsightly it is because new clothes feel so itchy and miserable to me.

does that make sense? I thought everyone was like that. I had no idea. To sum it up, when I make myself look as publicly unacceptable as possible!

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 2

I thought everyone was like that. I had no idea.

Nope! I’ve gotten dressed to shoes every day of my life until about a year and a half ago. A year and a half ago I started wearing jammies during the day, but only from time to time.

Most of the time I dress in regular clothes. In the winter I wear a neck to ankle zip up robe with hood over my clothes all day in the house.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Nope! I’ve gotten dressed to shoes every day of my life until about a year and a half ago. A year and a half ago I started wearing jammies during the day, but only from time to time.

Most of the time I dress in regular clothes. In the winter I wear a neck to ankle zip up robe with hood over my clothes all day in the house.

Oh wow, :lol: I'd die! My parents always dressed in old stuff at home too. Come to think of it, my parents both grew up very rural and poor and only had a few decent things, so they had to change out of their nice things when they got home because they couldn't just get new ones if they got ruined. They had to wear old stuff for playing and chores. So, maybe this is instilled in me out of what was necessity for them as kids. Stuff I have never thought about. My dh wears shoes in thhe house and I have no idea how he stands it. I hate shoes. Hate em.

• Like 1

What are your regular clothes?

I wear jeans and a blouse out of the house, and when I get home it's mostly knits and lounge pants.

For me, inside clothes include yoga pants that my fat ass wouldn't be caught dead in, in public or shorts. I never show my legs in public. My shirts consist of mens undershirts thats are broken in to a point of soft cottony perfection that is not suitable to be seen by the public due to holes and stains and the fact they are several sizes too big. You would never catch me at home in jeans or long sleeves. Also, I can't wear a regular bra in my house because it instantly becomes itchy the moment I walk inside, so sports bras only at home. I don't wear sports bras in public. I walk in my house and change instantly.

Dd2 wears about 5 different outfits a day because she loves her clothes. So her inside clothes might be 3 layers of shirts all put on backwards, a dress, a pair of pants, ds boots, a hat all at the same time. Basically it is constant dress up and she always wants to dress like this except when she tries to be stark naked all day long. So, her outside clothes involve 1 shirt and 1 pair of pants that match and are all turned around the right way, not backwards and inside out.

Does that paint a better picture. Basically for me, I find something comfortable and I don't care how unsightly it is because new clothes feel so itchy and miserable to me.

does that make sense? I thought everyone was like that. I had no idea. To sum it up, when I make myself look as publicly unacceptable as possible!

:lol:

I grew up with a very glamorous mother who was always beautifully dressed and totally put-together at all times, so it would never even dawn on me to wear anything I wouldn’t wear to go out of the house. That’s just what’s normal for me.

I blame Mom. :D

The only days I slack off are when I get a migraine and know I’ll be hiding out in a dark room for most of the day. On those days, I don’t care what I look like! (And believe me, I look pretty scary! :eek: )

:lol:

I grew up with a very glamorous mother who was always beautifully dressed and totally put-together at all times, so it would never even dawn on me to wear anything I wouldn’t wear to go out of the house. That’s just what’s normal for me.

I blame Mom. :D

The only days I slack off are when I get a migraine and know I’ll be hiding out in a dark room for most of the day. On those days, I don’t care what I look like! (And believe me, I look pretty scary! :eek: )

:lol: yeah our parents really influence us huh? I don't think my mom has ever had make up on her face. Glamorous she is not. :lol: we are plain jane around here.

And it just seems wasteful to me to get say food stains from cooking on your good clothes and ruin then kwim?

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

:lol: yeah our parents really influence us huh? I don't think my mom has ever had make up on her face. Glamorous she is not. :lol: we are plain jane around here.

And it just seems wasteful to me to get say food stains from cooking on your good clothes and ruin then kwim?

Ack, yeah I am famous for that. Run into the kitchen after work in my work clothes and start cooking and bam, another top with olive oil on it...

• Like 2

Sorry to be nosy, but I’m trying to picture what this means. What do you wear when you’re at home?

I have never distinguished between “outside†clothes and “at home†clothes — at our house, it’s regular clothes, pajamas, or workout outfits, but even the workout clothes are worn outside the house.

I have in the house clothes and outside clothes......I wear more fitted clothing outside the house, jeans, pants with non-elastic waistbands, and bras.

When I get home, that bra is the first thing to come off.  I hate that thing!  And then I change from fitted clothing to non-restrictive clothing like yoga pants and a loose T-shirt.  

When DH gets home from work, he changes into shorts in the summer or sweatpants in the winter.  

My boys often change too.  Not always, but they like to wear flannel or elastic band type basketball shorts around the house.

I didn't think that was weird.  Is it?

• Like 1

I have in the house clothes and outside clothes......I wear more fitted clothing outside the house, jeans, pants with non-elastic waistbands, and bras.

When I get home, that bra is the first thing to come off.  I hate that thing!  And then I change from fitted clothing to non-restrictive clothing like yoga pants and a loose T-shirt.  

When DH gets home from work, he changes into shorts in the summer or sweatpants in the winter.  

My boys often change too.  Not always, but they like to wear flannel or elastic band type basketball shorts around the house.

I didn't think that was weird.  Is it?

Yes!  My bra lives on a hook next to the door with my coat and my bag.  I hate that thing.

My kids sort of have outside clothes and inside clothes, in that inside it is pretty temperate so they wear t-shirts and the like, and outside it is cold.  I also care much less about blueberry stains or ripped knees inside, or wearing pajamas all day,  or a leotard or a knight costume or whatever.  My mantra when leaving the house is, "everyone go put on something respectable."

We're all casual around here.  The kids will stay in pj's or the soft comfy clothes they ended up sleeping in, all day unless we leave the house.  Even then, ds has SPD so sticks with sweat pants and soft t-shirts.  He's on a kick where he really likes thin hoodies.

Dd doesn't have SPD but she wears leggings, sweat pants and t-shirts.  She'll wear dresses to church.

I'm in sweatpants or yoga pants and tshirts or hoodies at home.  Jeans out of the house.  I only wear a nice shirt and bra if I'm both out of the house and seeing people I know - church, teaching, work meetings, 4-H.  If I'm just running to the store I generally won't bother. 

Dh comes home from work (dress pants and button downs) and changes into soft shorts or sweat pants and t-shirts.   So I guess it's a family trait.

None of us wear shoes in the house, unless it's slippers because the floors are cold.

Making the kids get dressed before starting school would just delay the start of school.  They basically stumble out of their rooms into the kitchen to grab a chocolate milk, curl up on a chair in a blanket and do their reading first thing in the morning.

Ha, I get it! And actually we have a lot of sensory people here too (I'm the worst actually) but that means that all their normal clothes are already super comfy. So yes, it took trying on elenventy pairs of pants before I found some she's wear, but she LOVEs them. And they turned out to be uniform pants, lol. They are not the typical stiff material, they are a ponte knit pant. And she has shorts she loves, that are almost Jegging material. And she likes polos, if they are soft (the ones I buy are). So already comfy. 

I'm the one that changes into yoga pants or old navy linen shorts the minute I get home. I wear a nursing tank and another tank on top. But to be honest, I wear those clothes out of the house too. 

SaveSave

OP, I never did uniforms and even now that my boys are in B&M school, they don't wear uniforms.  They still are getting good grades.  I would rather them be comfortable.  

Oh, i want them to be comfortable! Like I said, her favorite pants are uniform pants anyway - a knit version of them. She normally wears those or Jeggings or jean shorts and a shirt. So not much different. 

Ha, I get it! And actually we have a lot of sensory people here too (I'm the worst actually) but that means that all their normal clothes are already super comfy. So yes, it took trying on elenventy pairs of pants before I found some she's wear, but she LOVEs them. And they turned out to be uniform pants, lol. They are not the typical stiff material, they are a ponte knit pant. And she has shorts she loves, that are almost Jegging material. And she likes polos, if they are soft (the ones I buy are). So already comfy. 

I'm the one that changes into yoga pants or old navy linen shorts the minute I get home. I wear a nursing tank and another tank on top. But to be honest, I wear those clothes out of the house too. 

SaveSave

Ooh, send a link to the knit uniform pants!  DD12 is in a phase of not liking any pants.  I won't let her wear just thin leggings out, but jeans are too scratchy, but sweatpants are not "in," etc.

When I get home, that bra is the first thing to come off. I hate that thing! And then I change from fitted clothing to non-restrictive clothing like yoga pants and a loose T-shirt.

My boys often change too. Not always, but they like to wear flannel or elastic band type basketball shorts around the house.

I didn't think that was weird. Is it?

idk my dh and catwoman thinks it is. :lol:

• Like 1

I can understand the need to get more disciplined to keep everyone in work mode, but I really never understood how uniforms at home could contribute to this. I’m not convinced that the benefits of school uniforms can transfer to the homeschool environment.

We have never tried it and there is no way I could sell the idea to my 14 yo, but I can say that uniforms would help with focus and discipline in our house.  Dd spends half an hour every morning finding the "perfect" outfit that only I (and maybe the mailman) see.  She has an athletic practice every day after our studies at home so she changes out of that "perfect" outfit before seeing anyone else.  It is maddening.  I would be very happy if she just stayed in her PJs during school.  Or a uniform.  At this point, she is losing 2.5 hours a week dealing with clothing.  More when you factor in the extra time needed to clean up her room after her morning ritual of emptying her drawers and closet.  Had I seen this coming, I would have been very tempted to institute a uniform policy from the get go.  

• Like 1

OP, my brother went to a private school with uniforms from K-6 and my mom loved it. 

He was a really messy boy (always climbing trees and getting into mud or wrestling with the neighbor kids on the front lawn) so, as soon as he got home, he'd change into a set of army fatigues my mom had got him. He knew he was only allowed to do all the messy stuff in the fatigues (I think he had one or two pairs that would go a week or so between washings) and that he did school stuff in the uniform.

So I don't think it needs to mean more washing - I think, done right, it can mean less. The uniform clothes stay nice and then you don't really care how the messy clothes look.

Emily

Ooh, send a link to the knit uniform pants!  DD12 is in a phase of not liking any pants.  I won't let her wear just thin leggings out, but jeans are too scratchy, but sweatpants are not "in," etc.

https://www.target.com/p/girls-ponte-knit-trousers-cat-jack-153/-/A-50714954#lnk=sametab&preselect=50544484

She has them in blue, and I just ordered the black. They are out of stock in a lot of sizes right now, but I figure this summer they will restock them. 

• Like 2

We have never tried it and there is no way I could sell the idea to my 14 yo, but I can say that uniforms would help with focus and discipline in our house. Dd spends half an hour every morning finding the "perfect" outfit that only I (and maybe the mailman) see.

At this point, she is losing 2.5 hours a week dealing with clothing. More when you factor in the extra time needed to clean up her room after her morning ritual of emptying her drawers and closet.

My kids choose to wear the same clothes everyday because it saves them time choosing. When outside classes’ classmates asked my DS12, he told them it is his uniform so he doesn’t need to waste his time on picking clothes. He also tells them that people like Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Simon Cowell just stuck to one style.

• Like 1

Yes!  My bra lives on a hook next to the door with my coat and my bag.  I hate that thing.

My kids sort of have outside clothes and inside clothes, in that inside it is pretty temperate so they wear t-shirts and the like, and outside it is cold.  I also care much less about blueberry stains or ripped knees inside, or wearing pajamas all day,  or a leotard or a knight costume or whatever.  My mantra when leaving the house is, "everyone go put on something respectable."

Ok, I am envisioning walking into your house and seeing a coat rack with coats, purses, and bras in your foyer to greet me.

• Like 1

Ok, I am envisioning walking into your house and seeing a coat rack with coats, purses, and bras in your foyer to greet me.

Just one bra :)  I kind of hide it behind the coat, and if I know someone is coming over (which happens never) I put it upstairs in my closet.

But yes, if you rang the doorbell right now, you'd see a coat rack with 6 coats, approx. 12 mismatched gloves, what looks like 4 boots, one shoe, a purse, and a bra :)

ETA: but if I thought you were someone who was going to stay (that is to say, not the UPS driver or whatever), I'd make DD12 get the door while I ducked into the bathroom to put on my bra.

Edited by eternalsummer

https://www.target.com/p/girls-ponte-knit-trousers-cat-jack-153/-/A-50714954#lnk=sametab&preselect=50544484

She has them in blue, and I just ordered the black. They are out of stock in a lot of sizes right now, but I figure this summer they will restock them. 

Holy Moly they're $12!

sold sold

I can now add something to the "what have you bought on recommendation from the Hive" thread

• Like 1

Holy Moly they're $12!

sold sold

I can now add something to the "what have you bought on recommendation from the Hive" thread

LOL, and the polos are like $5 or something. I just bought 4 of them. Two purple, two pink, at DD7's request. She also already has a white one, so that gives me a school week's worth. Plus the pants, a pair of khaki shorts, and her bermuda length denim shorts she already has and I think she's set. 

• Like 1

Oh wow, DD9 might actually wear those! Clothing has gotten so much easier since Cat & Jack. They actually fit her AND they're comfortable. But we have yet to find anything resembling regular pants (as in not leggings) that she'll wear. :::crossing fingers::::

• Like 1

Oh wow, DD9 might actually wear those! Clothing has gotten so much easier since Cat & Jack. They actually fit her AND they're comfortable. But we have yet to find anything resembling regular pants (as in not leggings) that she'll wear. :::crossing fingers::::

Yes, I am looking for that holy grail, pants that are pants but feel like leggings.

• Like 1

Just one bra :) I kind of hide it behind the coat, and if I know someone is coming over (which happens never) I put it upstairs in my closet.

But yes, if you rang the doorbell right now, you'd see a coat rack with 6 coats, approx. 12 mismatched gloves, what looks like 4 boots, one shoe, a purse, and a bra :)

ETA: but if I thought you were someone who was going to stay (that is to say, not the UPS driver or whatever), I'd make DD12 get the door while I ducked into the bathroom to put on my bra.

Your my hero! Mine hangs on the bathroom door knob. :lol:

• Like 1

Ds10 has a school uniform at his school. When we were on holiday a charity shop had a rack of unused sports shirts (the wicking, breathable stuff) really cheap so I bought a singlet and two t shirts and told ds8 it was his homeschool uniform. He might like it but if not he needed a singlet for sports because it helps him to have dedicated sports clothes and he has chewed the neckbands of his other shirts to shreds.

Eta. And my bra lives on the the back of a chair.

Edited by kiwik

The weirdest question about homeschooling I ever got was, "Do your kids wear uniforms?" I thought the person was crazy for asking, but apparently this is something people consider. Who knew!?!?

I get doing what works.  I also think there are probably other ways to deal with taking school seriously that don't involve buying more clothes and doing more laundry.  The minimalist in me cringes at the thought. Also, all 3 of my girls and I are not easy to find sizes so clothes shopping isn't taken lightly around here.