Menu

Random topic: do you do birthday swats?

SKL

194 members have voted

1. 1. Birthday swats in your family - yes or no?

• Yes, my folks did it and so do I.
    • My folks did, but I don't.
    • I've heard of this but it has never been a custom in my family.
    • What are you even talking about?

Just curious how widespread this custom is and whether it has survived the changes in child-rearing philosophies in recent generations.

PS I don't know how to tell if this is a private or public poll or how to change that.

Feel free to comment also.  :)

Edited by SKL

My only experience was this was when I was a child at a birthday party for a friend from school.  Her grandmother came in with a spoon and gave her birthday spankings in front of all her friends and she sobbed.  Needless to say, seems like a horrible and almost abusive idea to me. 

My family did it (sort of) and dh’s did, too. Dh did it with our kids and I always hated it, but he stops at 12 and my kids are all older so it’s no longer a tension point.

To be clear, these aren’t actual spankings, more like playful taps, but I still dislike it.

My dad did, but he was gentle and loving, and it was not something we dreaded or feared. He only did it when we were small, with the same kind of feel about it as a friendly wrestle or something. I have some vague memories that I can't quite place, that had to do with feelings of humiliation and embarrassment over this--but I'm at a loss to remember the setting of it. It wasn't in my immediate family environment though.

ETA: It didn't hurt, and was more playful. I'm wondering if the other was with my girlfriends when I was in my preteen/early teen years? I was never one to like practical jokes or being the center of attention.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 1

My dad did when we were little.  It was all in fun and didn't hurt at all.  It was just something silly we did.  I had forgotten about it when I had my own kids, so we never did it.  If we had it would only have been in fun and would have stopped if a child didn't want to do it.

I've honestly never heard of parents spanking/swatting their kids on their birthday!

We did "birthday bumps" when I was a kid. My parents never did it, it was usually classmates, friends, and maybe a PE teacher or coach. It looked something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oqB03n_Jws

I also remember teenage boys punching each other on the arm for their birthdays, but I can't remember whether there was ever a name for this. 

I haven't heard of these but we did have a somewhat similar tradition. As kids we'd give each other b-day punches on the arm--one for each year and an extra for good luck. The "tradition" was only observed during our elementary school years. By middle school it was a "little kid" thing.

• Like 1

I don't recall my parents doing it but I do remember all the kids in class forming a line and the birthday kid crawled through everyone's legs and got a birthday whack on the butt.

Oh yes, that was done at the elementary school I went to and the teachers participated, too. Everyone called it The Spanking Machine. So weird!

We've never done birthday spanks or punches or pinches or anything of that sort in our family.

• Like 2

I voted "what are you talking about" because I was thinking swat as in swat team and wondering if the family skulked around the house in some sort of hide and seek game.

Now that I read a few posts, I've heard of the birthday spankings and always thought it was the most bizarre thing. I may have known people who mentioned it, but I've never participated in anything like that.

It isn't something I would like to be a part of, but I can see how it can be done in a gentle manner and it can be silly--like tickling.

The tunnel of spanking at schools sounds creepy and horrible if you've got a bullied kid going through the tunnel. I was always the kid no one wanted to talk to and it would have been pure torture to have all the kids who purposefully excluded me all year smacking me. Ugh! I'm glad they do that in schools any more.

I remember this in the 80s as a thing but my family didn't do it. My dad or mom might tease and say "your 10 so 10 spankings for you" but never once actually did it. I remember I went to my friends party when she turned 8 and we did a "spanking machine" she crawled through and we all hit her on the butt. Seemed weird but innocent.

My family did it and I hated it. “And a pinch to grow an inch†I’ve never done it to my kids. Such a dumb idea.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 2

I do kisses. (I tease that this is why DS is tall. It takes some smooches to make a kid grow!)

DH's school did the "paddywhack machine" & the kids were rather brutal to each other (as they were generally). I find it horrifying.

Edited by whitehawk

I had kind of forgotten about this. But I do remember it being a thing, along with, “and a pinch for growing an inch!†I remember it mostly as something my sisters inflicted upon me.

No, I do not do this. I am extremely opposed to this kind of manhandling “for fun.â€

• Like 2

I do kisses. (I tease that this is why DS is tall. It takes some smooches to make a kid grow!)

DH's school did the "paddywhack machine" & the kids were rather brutal to each other (as they were generally). I find it horrifying.

Terrible. And the term “paddywhack†has it’s origins in hatred for Irish immigrants, I do believe.

We did, and it was all in fun, and the kids thought it was fun, too. Turn about it fair play, and they got to spank Daddy, too, on his birthday. Then I gave birthday kisses, one per year.

Then we'd measure the kid and mark the wall. 

To each his own. It's something we didn't think of as abusive, more of a joke, and no one cried because no one got hurt. My kids don't see it as a bad part of their childhood. 

We stopped at 10 or so (I think earlier for the younger ones). 

I think there are lots of things that are part of one's culture that others can and do disagree with. 

• Like 1

My family did it and I hated it. “And a pinch to grow an inch†I’ve never done it to my kids. Such a dumb idea.

Same here.  I absolutely hated it then and never even once thought about doing it to my own kids.  Some traditions need to die.  One wonders how they even became traditions to start with other than some influential bully getting it going.

My family thought it was "all in fun" and I suppose they enjoyed it, but I detested it with every ounce in my body every frickin' year.  Actually though, it stopped when my parents got divorced, so now that I think about it there is one good thing that came about due to their divorce (when I was 11).

• Like 2

My uncle did it playfully.  But he was abusive at other times.  One of his kids has written several poetry books about it, which are brutal to read.

I can see it being a fun thing if  you are Pa Wilder? Maybe?  I'm definitely not into it.

Oh yes, that was done at the elementary school I went to and the teachers participated, too. Everyone called it The Spanking Machine. So weird!

We've never done birthday spanks or punches or pinches or anything of that sort in our family.

Yes! It was called The Spanking Machine. We called through everyone's legs and most people spanked gently, but there was always someone who tried to hit hard. My parents didn't do it, but it was quite common among my friends. Looking back, it was really strange!

• Like 1

Oh my goodness! My SIL does this and she is a public school teacher. Once she was doing it to one of her students when the principal walked in  . . . LOL!! She was like "birthday spankings!!"   Oh, and yes, definitely, not a real hit--very light. I still crack up and her story about the principal walking in on her doing it. 

I had never heard of it before her. 

Oh my goodness! My SIL does this and she is a public school teacher. Once she was doing it to one of her students when the principal walked in . . . LOL!! She was like "birthday spankings!!" Oh, and yes, definitely, not a real hit--very light. I still crack up and her story about the principal walking in on her doing it.

I had never heard of it before her.

At our school, the birthday child wears a paper crown all day. Much less offensive.

• Like 4