Menu

I'm in the hospital

PrincessMommy

I've been here since Monday. Long story short;we were on a camping trip Saturday to Monday which was going from okay to worse because of unexpected cold winds from the huricane. I was not feeling well and my husband decided we should just cut our losses and go home on Sunday night. I started feeling a bit better and tried to negotiate our staying as planned but my staying in a motel instead. I thought if I could get out of the wind and some sleep I would be just fine. My husband was insistent so I relented.

Good thing. On the way home I started to feel very poorly, especially in my stomach. It would come in waves of pain. That night,at home, I was in the worst pain of my life. At 5am my husband and daughter were trying to convince me to go to the er, but I said no. I figured I was constipated, and the thought of sitting on a gurney in the er in that much pain was not something I wanted to do. I tried a enema (sorry, tmi ) but there was no change in the pain so I relented and headed to the er around 11.

Turns out I have a minor perforation in my large intestines. It didn't require surgery, but I'm on heavy-duty antibiotics (they are of the devil) and still being monitored. I may go home today.

Oh and I didn't have to writhe in pain for hours in the er. They took me back right away and put me on morphine. It was the most wonderful moment when that pain slipped away.

It was our anniversary yesterday and my bird died on Tuesday. I feel like that was a cursed camping trip. (If you go to the venting thread you can read how I should have seen the signs of impending doom ahead of time.)

I still have 14 days of an antibiotic regimen when I get home. I'm not looking forward to it.

• Like 5

Wow, yes, a camping trip NOT to remember - until a few years have passed and you can laugh about it anyway.

Glad you are feeling better now and that they were able to address what was wrong so quickly.  May full recovery be uneventful too - and your next camping trip...

:grouphug:

• Like 2

Oh, I'm so sorry! 

We had a camping trip like that, which ended with my husband suffering a life altering injury. I looked back on all of the crap that went wrong beforehand and it was definitely a doomed trip.

We haven't been camping since.

Praying that your recovery is smooth from here on out. Do they have any idea how the perforation happened?

• Like 1

:grouphug: Your story is a wake up call to me because I always assume that kind of pain is constipation too. Thank you for the PSA and I hope you feel better soon.

I know, right? I had a son that had that happen to him when he was 10 or 11. We sat for a long time in the er (no pain med for him) only to find out he was constipated. He was NOT happy to get an enema from a stranger either.

• Like 1

Oh, my goodness! I hope you heal quickly, what a rotten week! I promised myself the last time we went on a long camping trip and I developed a sinus infection, that I would not ever again push through being sick in unfavorable conditions like that, no matter who was disappointed by cutting things short.

Your DH definitely made the right call, even without hindsight of what was actually wrong!

• Like 1