Susan in TN

Would you be offended?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be offended?

• Yes
    • No
    • A little
    • Maybe / Other

...If you asked for a person's cell phone number and they told you their cell phone was very old and did not work well for anything but outgoing calls, and instead asked you to call their home number?

ETA: The bad cell phone is mine, and three times in the past few weeks I have gone through this conversation with casual acquaintances (not for emergency contact reasons). All three people seemed offended and/or completely baffled and continued to ask for the cell number. I will generally give my home number and dh's cell number.

Until recently I couldn't get any calls on my cell phone unless I was 60 miles from home. I didn't bother to give the number to anyone. I just had them call my home phone. Also, some people hate to text and might be avoiding that. Especially if they do have an old phone that is hard to text with.

What in the world would that be offensive?  For a long time I didn't give anyone my cell phone number.  I almost never had it charged and it was literally for emergencies while driving and, yes, I had an old cell phone that wasn't worth much more than making outgoing calls.  It's not like they said "give me your number, I won't give you any number of mine!"  I prefer people call my home number first still.  I hear better on that one and it's more comfortable to hold.

Confused, maybe, but probably not offended. When using cell phones suddenly increased in popularity I still had an old phone that had a dying battery so I preferred to use it mainly for emergency, not just conversation. We also paid by the minute so I didn't like using my phone minutes unless I really had to, so very few people had my phone number.

I think I'd feel confused if the person related their story in a way that seemed "off" to me. If they were straight up about whatever the primary issue was then, based on my own experience, I'd take it at face value and let it go. But if it seemed like they were just trying to put me off then I'd probably be a bit offended because I'm a bit paranoid that way.

• Like 6

I only give out my home #, and we have lots of minutes on our cell plan because dh uses it for work.  (if he's home, he will call the client back on his business line - which has unlimited minutes.)

it may also be they don't give out the number because people start texting them - and they don't have unlimited texting.

No-I have unlimited texting, but limited voice minutes, and I prefer to save them for long distance calls and do all local calls on my landline. Until DD started doing a lot of stuff with college/grad students, who only text, I had a plan where I had very limited texting, too.

We only have one (old) cell phone that we basically only use when we're traveling or for emergencies. We do not have texting enabled. Cell phone reception can be spotty around here and the cell only works in the house if you stand in a certain place in the living room. Sometimes, we even misplace the cell phone for a period of time. I would have asked you to call my landline as well.

I only give my home number unless there's some reason you'd need to reach me away from home (e.g., we had plans to meet at a distant location). I have a cheap prepaid phone and pay by the minute for incoming/outgoing/voicemail, and also am charged per text (sending or receiving). I leave it on vibrate and it tends to wind up at the bottom of my purse if I'm not expecting to use it.

If the person declined to give contact info at all, that might be cause for discomfort, but there's no reason to assume anything about being given one phone number over another.

Definitely not offended.

Just because I'm curious ---- did these people ask specifically for your *cell* phone number? Usually, I just ask/am asked for a contact number, at which time I'll give my home phone number.

I also have a prepaid phone and don't give out the number to just anyone. Most people will just text, anyway, but still. :tongue_smilie:

You gave your home phone and hubby's number. It's not like you are uncontactable.

I have a prepaid cell with no voicemail and I have no home phone. I ask people to drop me an email or message me in Skype/Facebook/wechat. I don't mind people calling but they know sometimes I can't pick up my phone like if I am crossing the street (I love walking) or at the library.

A friend needed an urgent favor. She called my cell twice in a row as I was getting out of my car so I call her back once I am in the building.

Definitely not offended.

Just because I'm curious ---- did these people ask specifically for your *cell* phone number? Usually, I just ask/am asked for a contact number, at which time I'll give my home phone number.

I also have a prepaid phone and don't give out the number to just anyone. Most people will just text, anyway, but still. :tongue_smilie:

Yes.  I would find it strange if they emphasized wanting a cell phone number instead of just a number where they could contact you.  Even if people ask for my cell, I just say "Here's my number" and give the home number.  (It's the same when people ask for my first name, which I do not use.  I just give them the name I use without specifying that it isn't legally my first name.)   Would they know unless I told them that it was a landline instead of a cell?  

• Like 2

They probably 1. cannot fathom a person who does not have their cell phone implanted on their head waiting with baited breath for every call.  and 2.  assumed you were just being slow and needed their help with understanding they need your all important cell phone number, not the lowly home phone number.   :)

Seriously, though, you did your best to provide them contact info.  You didn't ditch them.  They have nothing to be offended over.  Maybe next time don't go into an explanation, just give them a couple of numbers, tell them those are the easiest ways to reach you and leave it at that.  Sorry they seemed offended.  That's just silly.  And frustrating for you.

• Like 1

If someone wants my number, I always give my home number. My cell is for family and certain special friends only. And even they know to try me at home first because that is where I'll likely be. I could never give up my landline.

This.

Yes. I would find it strange if they emphasized wanting a cell phone number instead of just a number where they could contact you. Even if people ask for my cell, I just say "Here's my number" and give the home number. (It's the same when people ask for my first name, which I do not use. I just give them the name I use without specifying that it isn't legally my first name.) Would they know unless I told them that it was a landline instead of a cell?

I don't find it strange to ask for a cell number specifically. Many people will text and if the distinction is not made then they may end up texting a number that does not recieve texts. I tend to assume that if someone specifically asks for my cell that this is what they intend.

I would in no way be offended by the response OP gave though. I know not everyone uses cells in the same manner.

• Like 2

No, not at all. In this day and age, everyone has slightly different phone needs. I have a friend who doesn't get great cell reception at her house, so she gives out her landline number to most people and only gives her cell number to a few people. I get good cell reception at home and have a lot of minutes (and unlimited minutes to and from other Verizon people), and with a landline, my local calling area is super tiny, so I have no landline and only use my cell. So that's what I give people (but I don't answer it most of the time, unless its dh's ringtone, or unless I'm expecting a call; I keep it in the kitchen or in my bag, so I generally end up calling people back). I would not be offended in the situation the OP mentioned, unless maybe I thought I'd need to get ahold of that person often when the person was out of the house.

I don't find it strange to ask for a cell number specifically. Many people will text and if the distinction is not made then they may end up texting a number that does not recieve texts. I tend to assume that if someone specifically asks for my cell that this is what they intend.

I would in no way be offended by the response OP gave though. I know not everyone uses cells in the same manner.

I hadn't thought of the texting angle since I don't tend to text!  Good point.  

Why would I be offended?

I don't give out my cell phone number because I don't want people to call me when I am out and about. They can call me at home or at work or send an email - i dont' need to be reachable 24/7 for anybody but immediate family.

I have not found anybody being offended when I explained that I use the cell only for my family and emergencies.

• Like 3

I would not be offended, but I would be irritated. My small circle of acquaintances only stays in touch via texting which happens all day long. No one takes the time to call a bunch of individuals anymore, at least the people I know.

It would be hard to break into a new circle of friends without texting capabilities.

• Like 3

Not unless I thought they werre trying to tell me some sort strange lie.

I think a lot of people just don't get the idea that some people might not use a cell that they carry around with bated breath waiting for a call or text at every moment.

I don't have a cell at all which confuses the heck out of people.

I find it very odd - cell phones have not been around that long, so when people my own age can't seem to imagine how anyone can function without them (what if you get a flat tire your kids get lost you are late???!!!) I am really perplexed.

• Like 1

I can't imagine why I would be offended.  If I ask someone for their phone number, it's up to them to give me the one they want me to use.  It's their phones, after all.  Both dh and I have a certain amount of minutes for talking on our phones, and I want to keep them for family needs. I don't want a bunch of people calling me on my cell phone.  I do have unlimited texting, and if it was limited to texting, that would be fine.  Dh does NOT text.  Hates it.

Maybe the explanation is throwing them? I'd just say that actually my home number is the best way to reach me and give them that.

Though I'd try to get my cell phone fixed because texting seems to be the current mode of communication. At some point it will be practically like telling people you only have a party line. ;)

• Like 1

I think they have no reason to be offended BUT I think it was an error to explain yourself. You don't owe them an explaination and it just opens you up to their opinion of what you do.

I'd just have given my home number and left it at that.

I don't tend to give out my cell phone because 98% of the time it sits in a drawer.  I hate using it.  And I really don't want anyone calling me on it.  I reserve it for those who need to call me regarding my kids at an activity and I won't be at home or so my kids can call me when I'm out.  That sort of thing.  I wouldn't even give it to the pediatrician's office and they got all huffy about it.  I often flat out just say I don't have a cell phone so nobody gets all dumb and annoying about it.  It's simply not a reliable means to get a hold of me.