Menu

Would you eat cookies at 10am?

marbel

A group I am in is having a little social time after a meeting next week, at 10am. We are invited but not required to bring something to share to eat. I love cooking/baking and sharing food but I have a few limitations:  To get to this meeting, I have a 30 minute ride on a crowded train (crammed seats, maybe standing), then a 1/2 mile walk. None of that is a big deal but the things I would normally take to a morning thing like this - muffins, scones - would be best carried on a tray or in a large, shallow container so they don't get mashed. But I won't be able to carry that. I need something not fragile, that can be stacked.

I have a ton of recipes but nothing seemed right. I saw today a cranberry orange shortbread cookie, the slice-and-bake type. So, flat and crunchy, not fragile, And since my first thought had been cranberry orange muffins, it seemed right.

BUT will people eat a cookie that early in the day? I mean, a cookie is really not much different than a muffin or scone, in terms of ingredients/nutrition but I feel like a lot of people won't pick up a cookie before lunch. 

Stopping to pick something up on the way is not an option. I am hustling from train to venue as it is, and there are no places to pick up such things on the way anyway. 

So, crowd-sourcing here. This is not a jawm, would really like opinions on it, and certainly welcome other ideas. I'm stuck on this one and can't think outside the box on it. That's why I gave so much detail! 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t at home,  but absolutely would at a gathering like you’re having. And you’re so right about muffins- they’re just cake.  Maybe a cookie is a BETTER choice since it’s smaller than a muffin.  Your shortbread cookies sound delicious! And probably WAY fewer calories than the every popular Starbucks cranberry bliss bars, which lots of folks eat for breakfast. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I generally avoid stuff like that but on special occasions I’ve fed them to my kids at that time. DH used to argue about it, but I did the same thing my mom did when my dad argued about this: compared the nutritional facts of common breakfast foods. Cookies are usually much better than stuff like doughnuts, coffee cake, pancakes with butter and syrup, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marbel said:

OK, judging by the fast responses I have come to the conclusion that I am overthinking this one! 

Thanks for shaking me out of my stuck thinking. Cranberry orange shortbread it is! 

When you get a chance, will you please share the recipe? I think that one would be a winner in my house!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marbel said:

Hm, I make a knock-off version of these every year, but I've never thought of them as breakfast. (I wouldn't take them, 'cause frosting, but that's an interesting thought.)

Dd worked at Starbucks for a couple of years and when they were in season they sold a TON during morning rush. Then again, it was common to see parents ordering cake pops and Frappuccinos for their kids /teens on the way to school. 
They’re so good as an evening snack with a cup of hot tea!

• Thanks 1

Sure, I would totally bring cookies. 

That said, I have had to do this a fair amount over the years and I save a few mid size amazon, gift, and shoe boxes to transport baked goods.  Like with foil and or wax paper/parchment.  It's nice because I also don't have to worry about recovering serving ware either and if I need to leave early, I can just leave it without a thought.  I also have some bigger bags that a box can sit flat at the bottom.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think cookies are fine!

If you really, really wanted to take scones on a train...and it wasn't too big of a parcel...maybe put the scones in a couple of pastry boxes or disposable containers with lids, stack them, and then put them in a flat-bottomed bag with handles (paper grocery bag?). I know that means finding size-compatible containers. 

Just adding a thought in case you truly prefer to make scones or muffins happen. Around here, those types of boxes start showing up in the seasonal aisle at many stores for holiday treat sharing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marbel said:

OK, judging by the fast responses I have come to the conclusion that I am overthinking this one! 

Thanks for shaking me out of my stuck thinking. Cranberry orange shortbread it is! 

You forgot to give us the address. 😉 

(Also, we know to be there at 10 am, but what day is it?)

• Haha 11

1 minute ago, marbel said:

@ScoutTN and @Jaybeehere is the recipe I will use. I've never used it and have never cooked any of this blogger's recipes, but it looks good. I'm going to make a test batch today for my family to sample and review for me. 😎

https://www.cookingwithmanuela.com/2020/12/cranberry-orange-shortbread-cookies.html

Let us know their reviews!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, marbel said:

Hm, I make a knock-off version of these every year, but I've never thought of them as breakfast. (I wouldn't take them, 'cause frosting, but that's an interesting thought.)

Could I get the recipe for these? My hubby loves them and I would like to make them for him for the holidays.