Menu

Wish me luck folks

DawnM

And if you are the praying type, please pray.   Pray that the facility has a space, that dad will be accepting, etc...

Time is finally here to put dad into care.   He kept us all up most of last night, can't walk, stand, etc.... is out of sorts, can't articulate things, peed through 8 pr. underwear and is talking nonsense.

We know these "episodes" pass, but they are getting more frequent and we are seeing far more digression in ambulation.   My husband is now DONE and he was the reason I didn't push for it.   He is a saint and has helped my dad so much and has kind of made me feel I was rushing to the nursing home care too soon.   But he has reached his saturation point.   

My dad also fell multiple times last night, thankfully he was not hurt, but it is time.

He will NOT be happy and he will NOT remember this when the episode is over.   That is the hard part.   But it must be done.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3
  • Sad 56

I'm sorry. My mom, who had Alzheimers, lived with me for almost a year after Dad couldn't step up care for her, until I couldn't manage both her care and my other responsibilities to my kids. The breaking point was the night that DH called me home from a meeting at DD's school, because Mom needed me for something that he couldn't handle.

Although I'd been hoping that she could be cared for at home, I was the one who had to say it was time for the nursing home, that I couldn't manage. My siblings were not willing to help with hands-on care and lived near my parents, three hours away from me, and I was trying to do my best, on my own, with small children (because of the small children, I was not willing to hire in-home caregivers). Dad chose a nursing home near him, but I had to drive Mom there and get her checked in. She was there for nine years. It was a heart wrenching time.

It feels horrible, I know. I'm sorry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

10 minutes ago, DawnM said:

And if you are the praying type, please pray.   Pray that the facility has a space, that dad will be accepting, etc...

Time is finally here to put dad into care.   He kept us all up most of last night, can't walk, stand, etc.... is out of sorts, can't articulate things, peed through 8 pr. underwear and is talking nonsense.

We know these "episodes" pass, but they are getting more frequent and we are seeing far more digression in ambulation.   My husband is now DONE and he was the reason I didn't push for it.   He is a saint and has helped my dad so much and has kind of made me feel I was rushing to the nursing home care too soon.   But he has reached his saturation point.   

My dad also fell multiple times last night, thankfully he was not hurt, but it is time.

He will NOT be happy and he will NOT remember this when the episode is over.   That is the hard part.   But it must be done.

I’m so sorry 😞 I am heading down this road with my mother. It is awful. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Starr said:

It's so hard. I wouldn't mention it to dad until it's all sorted out and then be matter of fact. I'm so sorry.

I am not even going to explain it.   I am just going to say that we need him to get more care due to safety "for now" and then he will just stay.   He won't remember the conversation when/if he gets out of this, so.....

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

My heart hurts for you but this is the right thing for all of you. I know you know this but you've done all you can for him at home. It's best for your family's mental health and it's best for your dad as he reached a point beyond your ability to safely care for him.

You're in my thoughts as you do this difficult but necessary thing.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

My heart hurts for you but this is the right thing for all of you. I know you know this but you've done all you can for him at home. It's best your family's mental health and it's best for your dad as he reached a point beyond your ability to safely care for him.

You're in my thoughts as you do this difficult but necessary thing.

You just stated what I would want to state.  Totally agree.  And I am praying for you, Dawn.  As a person who has autoimmune issues that greatly affect my brain and cause some similar problems, I would understand if it became permanent, that I would need either people giving home health care or be placed somewhere.  I would hate it but understand.  

Many hugs and prayers for this transition.

• Like 2

Big hugs.  We put my dad in Assisted Living last November, and it has absolutely been the best thing for him.  They are on top of his medical issues.  They manage his plethora of medication.  They are trained to manage his showers (three times a week) and his falls (none so far).  They are on top of getting him physical and occupational therapy when they see that he needs it, in a way that we didn't know to do at home.  It is a partnership, of course, between us and them, but it has been so great.  His health is the best possible given the circumstances, better than at home.  

• Like 9

Dawn, I'm so sorry!  I understand how hard this is.  I think actually making the decision and getting him moved is the hardest part - especially since the decision is ultimately on you.  It will get easier and you want be 2nd guessing yourself anymore.  

Don't argue with him.  Don't try to explain too much.  Just keep repeating that this is the best decision for him as he needs more care now than you can provide for him.  He will probably argue if he is in a better frame of mind at the time.  Just remember times like last night and know you are making the right decision.

Hugs...

• Like 4

If it helps, both my mom and my aunt are nurses who both worked most of their lives in geriatrics. And still, there came a point where the only place for my grandmother, their mother, was a nursing home. My mom quit work to care for her in our home for a few years, but there came a point where that was not enough. It wasn't that mom didn't want to, or that Aunt wasn't willing, it was that it wasn't the safest, best place for my grandmother anymore. She needed more than a single nurse, she needed a round the clock team of people taking shirts. People that could life an adult. Etc etc. 

So, if neither of them, who had a lifetime of professional experience working with geriatric patients felt it was appropriate to continue care indefinitely at home, I certainly don't think you should!

Moreover, my mom has said MANY times that when the time comes, we are not to care for her, but to place her in a good nursing home and visit often. Because unless someone is both physically and mentally fit. it is too much to ask of a family member to care for them. 

• Like 12

Dawn this is hard, but it’s the right decision for everyone involved. Don’t let anyone make you think it’s not. 

I pray you will have peace, that you will find excellent accommodations for him, and that he will quickly adapt to a new setting. You can make your future focus with him more on quality time than physical and mental nursing. 

Many hugs. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 4

Praying that he won’t make this too hard on you, Dawn. I know you would keep him at home if it was at all possible, and you went to so much effort and expense to have the perfect apartment built for him in your home, so it’s obvious to all of us that you are an amazing daughter. 

Sending lots of supportive hugs and prayers. 

• Like 8

He has literally never had a UTI.   They check every time.   He is always negative.  

I called 911 today.   He has been admitted.   He has Covid.   

Still working on a place, but if he stays in the hospital 3 days they can send him to rehab for 21 days and then to a facility, so I have a little time now.

• Like 12
  • Sad 29

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

He has literally never had a UTI.   They check every time.   He is always negative.  

Still working on a place, but if he stays in the hospital 3 days they can send him to rehab for 21 days and then to a facility, so I have a little time now.

Oh, poor guy! I'm glad you have a little time to sort out next steps. I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Oh my. So much going on. (((hugs)))

• Like 1