Menu

Wish me luck folks

DawnM

Many (hugs)

When my late sister was bouncing between rehab place and hospital the misinformation made things emotionally harder then they needed to be.  (She was in and out of both)

Instead of saying released or to rehab/hospital some would say "oh, you're going home tomorrow!" not knowing the details.  Even her #$@&##$ oncologist would say stupid stuff that made it sound like she could go home.  It was f***ing heartbreaking.

I hope everyone you deal with is far more sensitive but a heads-up just in case.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Oh my gosh!   WHY did they do that?

And do you have to be vaccinated to go to a rehab facility?

This was a year ago so I don't know if things have changed since then but she had to have proof of vaccination in order to go to the rehab facility.

There was someone at the hospital who absolutely did not want MIL to go to rehab for some reason.  She fought it from the beginning and obviously won at the last minute.  I was able to get MIL's surgeon to approve one more night in the hospital while we scrambled to get things ready for her to go home - we fully expected her to go to rehab up until then.  It was awful but I'm sure this rarely happens (or maybe we're the only lucky ones).   I have no doubt that your dad will not be coming home anytime soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

What a relief, @DawnM  Hope it all works out and that he handles the transition well when it's time.

We had this happen with MIL and it fell through the day she was being discharged when they told us she was going home instead of rehab.  Even that morning, DH had to go to her house to get her Covid vaccination card to show the rehab place she was vaccinated and then...nope.  We were completely unprepared for her to go home.  It was awful but I think this is HIGHLY unusual.  

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Oh my gosh!   WHY did they do that?

And do you have to be vaccinated to go to a rehab facility?

Good question! One of my elderly aunts refused the vaccine, however, she was already a resident when the pandemic hit. When my parents were in SNF, at flu season we got a request to grant permission - they couldn’t receive a flu vaccine without POA permission. 

Covid is a game changer. Best to ask now. 

I'm glad to hear they see a need for him to spend at least 4 weeks in rehab, that time will be valuable for you both. Your decision to not bring up long term care now is wise. It’s possible he is, in addition to everything else, experiencing hospital delirium. In a couple of weeks the conversation, while still challenging, may go better than if you tried it now. 

• Like 3

My grandmother recently spent the 28 days in rehab.  They recommended long term nursing home placement at that point and everyone was really hoping she’d agree(there is no dementia, just end stage Parkinson’s).  Unfortunately Medicare says that whatever rehab facility accepts you first is where you wind up, and she’d gone to a not great place. Not the worst, but understaffed like anyplace else and it was close to noon on weekends before they could get her out of bed and cleaned up.  So she was miserable there and refused to stay.

Just be aware you may be able to say absolutely not to certain rehab places and ask for his packet to be sent to specific ones, but you don’t get to choose where he goes for rehab.  I’d see if you can get the social worker to push for someplace where he can seamlessly move from rehab to long term care, though.  It sounds, especially with the falls, that he’s past the point of assisted living. 

• Like 7

You may insist they give him something for anxiety, generally when dementia and confusion is bad your wishes may be over to override him, but sadly this depends on the state and diagnosis. It’s possible they could have a tech distract him with vitals while another puts something in his IV port. 

• Like 5

So tonight I was there for a little while and he said that he has to make a decision about Roe V Wade because even though they are giving him good care at the hospital, he is sure they are going to try to give him an abortion.

😂

• Haha 16

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

So tonight I was there for a little while and he said that he has to make a decision about Roe V Wade because even though they are giving him good care at the hospital, he is sure they are going to try to give him an abortion.

😂

Can you have them turn off the TV in his room or tune it only to an oldies channel?  My grandmother had that.  She would hear parts of things on TV news and they would become her reality.

donyou have POA?

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, DawnM said:

😂

That is funny and also sad.  

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Can you have them turn off the TV in his room or tune it only to an oldies channel?  My grandmother had that.  She would hear parts of things on TV news and they would become her reality.

donyou have POA?

I have POA and can change the channel, but he seems to change it back.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I have POA and can change the channel, but he seems to change it back.   

When I used to visit my DH's aunt in hospice (and she was with it enough to control the remote) she would often change the channel to this horrendous documentary (?) channel. Scary stuff -drug raids, immigration raids, crimes. I tried to change the channel to something more chill but sometimes she just changed it back even though I could clearly see it made her upset. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, DawnM said:

😂

While the whole situation is of course so sad it is good you can laugh. My mom died of a brain tumor and it was so stressful. My sister and I would be in the hospital and my mom would say something ridiculous and we would laugh so hard about it. I know people thought it was awful but it really cut the tension and it was funny. It didn’t make the situation any less tragic. 

• Like 18

44 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

While the whole situation is of course so sad it is good you can laugh. My mom died of a brain tumor and it was so stressful. My sister and I would be in the hospital and my mom would say something ridiculous and we would laugh so hard about it. I know people thought it was awful but it really cut the tension and it was funny. It didn’t make the situation any less tragic. 

I agree laughing is often good in these situations.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

How is your dad feeling today, Dawn?

I haven't heard yet.   I will go visit later.   I am actually going to ask his caregiver to go sit with him tomorrow since I have to work.   

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

How's your dad, Dawn?

He is ok.   He is very confused and I am glad they are seeing that in the hospital since the doctor initially said he passes the dementia test.  🙄

• Like 15

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

He is ok.   He is very confused and I am glad they are seeing that in the hospital since the doctor initially said he passes the dementia test.  🙄

He likely has hospital-induced delirium. They wake you up at all hours and you can’t tell what day or time it is so your brain gets really scrambled. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

He likely has hospital-induced delirium. They wake you up at all hours and you can’t tell what day or time it is so your brain gets really scrambled. 

Well, then he has hospital induced delirium at home all the time! 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

The doctor's diagnostic tools are appalling. Not just your doctor--MOST doctors. Both my in-laws and both my grandmothers passed dementia tests when they were struggling badly. Set up a neuropsych assessment asap and hold your ground.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

My dad has fallen 3 times this week.  Once because something wasn't in place that should have been, and twice he was eased to the floor by the caregiver (so not a hard fall).  He is now sick also.  I set up a telemed visit and he was yelling that he hasn't been to a doctor in 2 years (he has been to a zillion appts in the past 2 years.  I know as I have taken him to them all).  He also yelled that it was the first of the month and he needs to pay his rent.  He hasn't paid his rent since he moved in.  It is auto pay from his checking account.  He never asks about paying bills.  He asked if his checkbook was at his apartment and I said no, it was at my home.  He yelled he is a victim 😐.  It is what it is 😋.  He said I don't want to get kicked out of here and have to live with you.  I told him that wasn't a worry -- LOL!!!!  The feeling is mutual, but I didn't say that!

It think they have better days than others.  I'm glad they are seeing this side of him though.  Do not let them try and have you bring him home.  So many experiences on here of people who did that and it wasn't good.

• Sad 14

1 minute ago, mlktwins said:

My dad has fallen 3 times this week.  Once because something wasn't in place that should have been, and twice he was eased to the floor by the caregiver (so not a hard fall).  He is now sick also.  I set up a telemed visit and he was yelling that he hasn't been to a doctor in 2 years (he has been to a zillion appts in the past 2 years.  I know as I have taken him to them all).  He also yelled that it was the first of the month and he needs to pay his rent.  He hasn't paid his rent since he moved in.  It is auto pay from his checking account.  He never asks about paying bills.  He asked if his checkbook was at his apartment and I said no, it was at my home.  He yelled he is a victim 😐.  It is what it is 😋.  He said I don't want to get kicked out of here and have to live with you.  I told him that wasn't a worry -- LOL!!!!  The feeling is mutual, but I didn't say that!

It think they have better days than others.  I'm glad they are seeing this side of him though.  Do not let them try and have you bring him home.  So many experiences on here of people who did that and it wasn't good.

I am sorry.

They can't get me to bring him home, we simply cannot care for him anymore.   I have 5 facilities with beds available who have called me, but he was approved for the 28 day stay in the rehab facility, and that should start on the 11th.   I am waiting to hear.

They also said moving him from rehab to a nursing home is easier than moving him from our home to a nursing home, I am not sure why.

• Like 22

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

I am sorry.

They can't get me to bring him home, we simply cannot care for him anymore.   I have 5 facilities with beds available who have called me, but he was approved for the 28 day stay in the rehab facility, and that should start on the 11th.   I am waiting to hear.

They also said moving him from rehab to a nursing home is easier than moving him from our home to a nursing home, I am not sure why.

He has really blessed you by being such a saver. I’m relieved for you. FIL has just enough money to not qualify for Medicaid but not enough to move into any sort of facility. 

• Sad 11

34 minutes ago, sassenach said:

He has really blessed you by being such a saver. I’m relieved for you. FIL has just enough money to not qualify for Medicaid but not enough to move into any sort of facility. 

That is so hard!  To make an already stressful situation/decision (needing to move him) and then to have to deal with monetary issues as well 😞!

• Like 1

Today he asked me to tell the nurse to talk to the doctor and find out when they plan to discharge him and said he doesn't need to be there anymore so he would like to just come home.

Sigh.

He has no idea.   

• Sad 15

8 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Today he asked me to tell the nurse to talk to the doctor and find out when they plan to discharge him and said he doesn't need to be there anymore so he would like to just come home.

Sigh.

He has no idea.   

What did you tell him? I don’t even know what I’d say. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DawnM said:

Because the wheels are already in motion. The doctors and social workers told us this all along - that with unwilling elders you often have to wait for a crisis moment and once they fall (or whatever) and have to have a hospital stay, it’s infinitely easier to facilitate that move to SNF. I’m not sure about the specifics, but somehow it trips the trigger with Medicare/insurance companies. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, freesia said:

The doctor needs to be the one to tell him that it is no longer safe for him to not have immediate professional medical care available, so he can’t live at home any more. That has to be at least the first wave of breaking the news and then Dawn can use that in her conversations with dad, always bringing the conversation back to “the doctor said…”. 

Still won’t make it easy, but it will hopefully make it easiER. 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, freesia said:

I told him that we need to see what they say but that they would like him to get stronger and it might take a little while for him to get his strength back.   (like forever!)

• Like 14

19 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

The doctor needs to be the one to tell him that it is no longer safe for him to not have immediate professional medical care available, so he can’t live at home any more. That has to be at least the first wave of breaking the news and then Dawn can use that in her conversations with dad, always bringing the conversation back to “the doctor said…”. 

Still won’t make it easy, but it will hopefully make it easiER. 

Agreeing.

And yes, moving from rehab to SNF is an easier move than going straight to SNF from home. 

• Like 2

The nurses yesterday and today said they definitely recommend a nursing home.   They said he is not able to walk or go to the bathroom himself.   Toileting was our line in the sand, we don't do toileting, but esp if they can't get up and walk by themselves to the bathroom.

It makes me feel better to have medical professionals agree, but it still is hard.

• Like 2
  • Sad 18

15 minutes ago, DawnM said:

The nurses yesterday and today said they definitely recommend a nursing home.   They said he is not able to walk or go to the bathroom himself.   Toileting was our line in the sand, we don't do toileting, but esp if they can't get up and walk by themselves to the bathroom.

It makes me feel better to have medical professionals agree, but it still is hard.

(((Hugs)))

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

No matter how clearly you see this time coming, it’s always rather gut-hitting when it arrives. Bless you, Dawn. You have done well and right by your dad. It’s just time for the next stage. 

• Like 13

I'm so sorry you have to make such difficult decisions, Dawn. I keep thinking of you going to all that trouble to make his apartment in your house just perfect for him, and how you agonized over the decisions, so everything would be just right. 😞 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I'm so sorry you have to make such difficult decisions, Dawn. I keep thinking of you going to all that trouble to make his apartment in your house just perfect for him, and how you agonized over the decisions, so everything would be just right. 😞 

This is exactly what I keep thinking about.  ❤️  @DawnMyou have been wonderful to your dad and I'm sorry about everything.  He is lucky to have you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:06 PM, Ottakee said:

donyou have POA?

Whatever the channel with old shows like Leave it to Beaver and such playing all the time might be good. Maybe even some tape over the buttons to change the channel, or over the sensor on the tv...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I wonder if someone could program the remote to limited channels.

Usually not in a hospital, they have all of that blocked so every new patient can access everything.  But when he's in a nursing home with his own tv she will be able to program that to only show the good channels.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Y3s, exactly.  I have been thinking about this too 

• Like 2

UPDATE:   He has been moved to Rehab and given 20 days covered through medicare.   

Our first choice nursing home is not only full but they have 2 residents in independent care who need to move over and are waiting.

Our 2nd choice is also full.

On to the 3rd choice location.   It looks like it will work out, but it is more expensive.   UGH.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 22

43 minutes ago, DawnM said:

UPDATE:   He has been moved to Rehab and given 20 days covered through medicare.   

Our first choice nursing home is not only full but they have 2 residents in independent care who need to move over and are waiting.

Our 2nd choice is also full.

On to the 3rd choice location.   It looks like it will work out, but it is more expensive.   UGH.   

A lot can change in 20 days, esp in a nursing home situation.

• Like 13

A lot can change in 20 days but I think we need to make some decisions before the 20 days is up.

I went to see him today and he is bad, bad, bad.

Labored breathing, can't formulate a sentence, keeps taking his clothes off, and he asked me to contact his dead brother David.

I am not even sure he will make it out of rehab.   

I have been in tears, it is so hard to watch.   So very hard.

• Sad 49

8 minutes ago, DawnM said:

A lot can change in 20 days but I think we need to make some decisions before the 20 days is up.

I went to see him today and he is bad, bad, bad.

Labored breathing, can't formulate a sentence, keeps taking his clothes off, and he asked me to contact his dead brother David.

I am not even sure he will make it out of rehab.   

I have been in tears, it is so hard to watch.   So very hard.

Oh Dawn, I am so, so sorry... Huge hugs coming your way. 

• Like 1