Menu

US Peeps - How much acknowledgement are you seeing for Juneteenth?

Ginevra

The courts were closed Monday, but most firms seemed to be open. I was just wondering how much recognition you are seeing around you from private businesses, now that it is a federal holiday. 

ETA: changed “compliance” I did not mean to offend anyone

Edited by Quill

I didn't see any private business's celebrate but they don't usually celebrate the smaller holidays anyway, such as Labor Day and President's Day. A lot don't give employees off for July 4th either. Usually on the private side, I only see Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving as days employees get off from work. Around me, Juneteenth was treated as a bank holiday, so the banks, post offices and government offices had the day off.

4 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I didn't see any private business's celebrate but they don't usually celebrate the smaller holidays anyway, such as Labor Day and President's Day. A lot don't give employees off for July 4th either. Usually on the private side, I only see Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving as days employees get off from work. Around me, Juneteenth was treated as a bank holiday, so the banks, post offices and government offices had the day off.

This. 

Some of DH's colleagues/clients/customers/people he knows in the industry, but work at different companies, had off -- he did not. But he & I were discussing this -- some federal holidays seem to get "day off work" status, and many others do not.  Labor Day, President's Day, Columbus Day....vs. Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc. So, it wasn't any particular "slight" on the part of the company, or any "lack of compliance" any more than the others are or aren't. 

• Like 2

Private businesses have never closed by default on Federal holidays. Banks, libraries closed as usual for all Federal holidays. My husband was working as were all my nearby neighbors. His employer observes New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. A recreational sports center run by a nearby city close only for July 4, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day.

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 6

It isn't my experience that small businesses close for federal holidays other than Christmas, New Year's Day, and Thanksgiving.  That held true for Juneteenth. Dh had off because he works for a bank and no longer works in a call center department, those remain open but they give their employees a floating holiday. 

I work for a bank, which was technically closed because the Federal Reserve observed the holiday. However, the customer service people worked. It was a busy day, like a typical Monday, no difference at all there. 

Several people were surprised to hear that certain transactions would not be completed on Monday "due to the Federal holiday." "What holiday?" Some seemed not to believe me that there was a holiday. I had to tell many people what holiday it was and the general response was "oh, yeah... so you mean [this transaction] can't happen?" One person actually asked me to explain it to him as he'd never heard of it. It felt very awkward, even though I know what it is and think it's a fine thing to celebrate. It's just, you know, can we stick to banking questions? I thought afterward, why are you asking the bank person about this holiday? Just say thanks and go look it up. I mean, I understand it's a new holiday and not super well known, but come on. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

About the same as other minor federal holidays.  The only differences I really noticed in its treatment were lots of individuals saying they didn’t really know what it was about and asking questions of those who did, and the stores didn’t have the buildup to it like they have for Valentines, 4th of July, etc. as they try to turn everything into a commercial event.  I’m sure within a few years the stores will figure out how to commercialize Juneteenth, too

No,  when it became a holiday last year, my dh's company still kept the same amount of holidays and you could choose which one to take, and which not to take.  I didn't go into any stores but no, everything was summer related as far as I know.  I saw that a local tennis camp had kids make a picture for the holiday.  

My grandson's daycare closed so I got to babysit because my dd's workplace did not close.  It was a bit of an annoying situation for her because they didn't announce it until Wednesday before so she felt a lot of people probably had to scramble.  My dd's workplace had been basically shut down for about two weeks because of a Covid outbreak so she thought that's why they didn't shut down - it's a business where clients need to be able to see the office personnel (apartment complex).

I have a lot of elderly people in my immediate, nearby family at the moment so there was some tongue-clucking and head-shaking when they heard that my grandson's daycare was closed for Juneteenth.  I enjoyed explaining the holiday's significance to them in support of the holiday.  Hopefully, some attitudes were changed or at least reconsidered.

Edited by Tenaj
  • Like 3

My husband's office was closed.  Company based in the Boston area, all US employees were off.  They did some corporate events related to Juneteenth.  I saw plenty of small local businesses acknowledging it in different ways on social media.  

Edited by catz

Most places seemed to acknowledge it the same as all the federal holidays, and more so than some.  Stores were open, but many businesses, banks, government offices, and such were closed.  I am sure schools would have taken it off if they hadn't already been out for the summer.  DH had the day off.  My middle kid had a four day weekend.

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My center is usually closed for federal holidays, but wasn't for this one because so few of the parents that are using the summer camp for child care had it off (and, I suspect, because our fiscal year startsJuly 1 and it wasn't on the calendar when they made it last June. )

“Compliance” doesn’t sound compatible with freedom. Federally operated things were closed, and other things were open in my area. If I had to hear one more time that Juneteenth was “the end of slavery” I think my head might have exploded. Funny how no news stations wanted to give real history facts that slavery still existed in Delaware after Juneteenth. 

• Like 1

No mail. No trash pickup. No library. Probably no federal buildings open but I didn’t check. My dd who works  for a private company had the day off (paid). My community college where I work probably was closed but I don’t work in the summer so I wasn’t paying attention. On Sunday, a local Black group had a block party. 

Our rural area has always celebrated this as the Eighth of August celebration-- likely since Reconstruction.
My understanding is that our town will celebrate both events, but it seems a bit artificial, especially since ours is AFTER June 19th?!?

On Monday, our banks and post office were closed, but dh doesn't get these types of holidays.

13 minutes ago, Beth S said:

Our rural area has always celebrated this as the Eighth of August celebration-- likely since Reconstruction.
My understanding is that our town will celebrate both events, but it seems a bit artificial, especially since ours is AFTER June 19th?!?

On Monday, our banks and post office were closed, but dh doesn't get these types of holidays.

I always though June 19th was a Texas celebration. Because of how remote we were, our slaves were not notified of the proclamation until pretty late. (There were even a couple of battles fought here after the Civil War was over due to distance lag as I remember).

So August 8 was probably when the local slaves found out -- OR not

This is interesting:

https://explorekyhistory.ky.gov/items/show/383

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 2

Dh's workplace (large private company) and mine (school district) both observed the holiday and were closed. The one business I tried to call (wheelchair repair company) was closed for the holiday. Some banking stuff was delayed so we assume the respective companies were observing the holiday. King Arthur Flour on FB posted a recipe for Emancipation Cake that they said was popular in Texas--that was the only hint I saw on how to observe the holiday. And I'm certainly open to any food suggestion for a holiday!

I believe I saw on Facebook that Oklahoma City city offices were closed for the first time.  I thought that was a big step to be honest.  I thought it was progress.  

We have lived places in that past with big Juneteenth celebrations but I have never seen it observed at all where I live now.  

We sang “We Shall Overcome” at my church service on Sunday for what that’s worth.  

Edit:  I don’t think it means there aren’t celebrations nearby, I just don’t know about them.  I have known about them other places I have lived.  

I live in a majority-white suburb right now.  

Edited by Lecka

Everything county, state and federal was closed, and so were a lot of small  businesses. The local historical museum, which covers regional history from the colonial and antebellum era, had a big outdoor fundraiser beerfest, and attendance surpassed their expectations! There are a lot of federal employees in this area.

Also, there were several community events with info tables by support agencies. They did pretty well, too. 

• Like 1

Agree that it is a bigger deal in Texas. We had our normal town Juneteenth celebration on Saturday. It is a big celebration in the park.  It actually felt smaller this year, I think partially because Juneteenth was actually on Father's Day this year. Monday all federal offices were closed, but no one did anything because the celebration was Saturday. 

• Like 3

All my clients, who are banks, government entities, and nonprofits, were quiet on Monday.

Also, there was a lot less traffic driving into and out of the city on Monday, compared to Tuesday & Wednesday.  (I noticed because I had to drive my kids into the city for their day camp this week.  Monday was breezy, Tuesday was traffic jam central.)

• Like 1

I worked at both the libraries I work at on Monday. Next year, at least one of them is supposed to be closed per the director. For this year, the board members (all white) never got around to voting to close it. I have not heard at all about the other library's plan for next year. 

Nothing seemed different besides bank and mail service here.

Edited by historically accurate

My husband works for the state government and this is not a day off for our state employees.

Federal employees, though, did have Juneteenth off and local government offices were also closed.

Doctors offices, the library, and most other places seemed to be open. 

Edited by sbgrace

I didn't notice anything closed other than mail and local government offices.  DH doesn't typically get President's Day, MLK day, or other less "popular" federal holidays off, so I wouldn't have expected Juneteenth either.    I didn't really hear about any celebrations or observances happening in our mid-sized Midwestern city.

Our hourly school employees got the day off as an extra paid day (school ended last week, but they had an extra paid day added to their final paychecks). 

I noticed a number of restaurants closed yesterday that are typically open, but I am in full "recover from the crazy school year" mode and, to be honest, I didn't really look too much. 

I live in DC. All federal holidays are also very local. Most stores were open, but most "local businesses" (aka, places like the political firms dh works) were closed. When the feds close, everything else does too. It was a nice day so the parks were all packed. There were special brunches - because it was a federal holiday (you see them on things like Labor Day too). We heard a lot of fireworks on the 18th, 19th and 20th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

I always though June 19th was a Texas celebration. Because of how remote we were, our slaves were not notified of the proclamation until pretty late. (There were even a couple of battles fought here after the Civil War was over due to distance lag as I remember).

So August 8 was probably when the local slaves found out -- OR not

This is interesting:

https://explorekyhistory.ky.gov/items/show/383

Agreeing---And I'm enjoying learning more about it all.
August 8th is indeed when our region learned about Emancipation.
But we're nearly half the distance from Washington DC, compared to Texas.  😉

I just want to preserve our Quirky Regional History.
@vonfirmath included a link about our hometown. 
I truly thought this was a nation-wide rural phenomenon!

There appears to be a difference in celebrating the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation (April 16, 1862)
And the ratification of the 13th Amendment (Dec 6, 1865)

Apparently, the Caribbean Islands also celebrate Emancipation Day in the first week of August, as the British Empire emancipated their slaves there in August 1, 1834.

Juneteenth (1866) was solely the Texas celebration.  Puerto Rico (March 22)  and Florida (May 20).

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dh was off for Juneteenth.   His company tried to tie it into Pride and tried to make it sound like it was a pride/Juneteenth holiday and I was ticked. That’s a slap in the face.   Hopefully, someone at corporate jumped all over them, but who knows.    The bigger town next to us had a festival.   I’ve seen quite a bit about it here (deep south).    

Banks and government offices were closed. The county library system was closed Sunday and Monday (actual and observed). No mail delivery.

There were various community events, including a city-sponsored celebration in downtown Orlando, block parties, etc.

Local media had coverage/acknowledgements of various kinds. The classical feed for the local public radio station (my go-to soundtrack for work hours) played lots of music by African-American artists. 

My Instagram feed was full of posts mentioning/discussing the holiday and advise about how to acknowledge the day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quill said:

The courts were closed Monday, but most firms seemed to be open. I was just wondering how much compliance you are seeing around you from private businesses, now that it is a federal holiday. 

I don't think "compliance" is a relevant term to use here; federal holidays are not some kind of mandate for businesses to shut down. All they really are is holidays for most federal employees.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, maize said:

I don't think "compliance" is a relevant term to use here; federal holidays are not some kind of mandate for businesses to shut down. All they really are is holidays for most federal employees.

Oh. Okay. I should have used a better term, though it’s not occurring to me at the moment.