Menu

Need lighthearted TV shows to binge watch

MEmama

For the three of us (DS is 17).

Recent series we’ve watched and loved as a family: Parks and Rec, the Office, the IT Crowd, Arrested Development, and just finished the Good Life. 

We are not into science fiction (no Dr Who or Star Trek stuff), anything scary or stressful. Nothing historical or too brain taxing right now. Really need just fun and modern, not educational and not old fashioned (80's shows are out).

Language and adult situations are fine within reason. Veep and The Righteous Gemstones might be a touch salty for family viewing, but I don't much care.

We have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm re-watching The Darling Buds of May. It's a British tv series from 1992 - 94 staring Catherine Zeta-Jones and David Jason. I have the DVDs, but it's available on Britbox. 

Black Books is another excellent British comedy series. It was on Netflix for a while, and may still be on youtube.

Extras staring Rickie Gervais is another good British series.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Not sure where it’s available outside of CBS, but Young Sheldon is one of my favorites.

Not sure any if any of these fit your criteria, but Gilmore Girls, Greek, Chuck, Atypical, When Calls the Heart, Jane the Virgin, and White Collar are all good.

• Like 1

Just remembered ... you can watch clips of Jiminy Glick on youtube.  Hilarious!  Screaming laughter hilarious.  If you have Roku, there is a Youtube channel you can use for free to watch youtube on your TV.

By the way, I mentioned all these shows because I think we have similar taste.

Oh, 30 Rock is on Amazon Prime and Hulu, if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this thread. I was lamenting to my dh last night that it's hard to find shows that aren't dark or creepy.  Even the show Picard is darker and more cynical than TNG or any of the older Star Treks.   I still love it, but I'm kind of bummed it isn't a little more hopeful especially right now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You listed some of my favorite shows, OP!

Some other ideas, Kim's Convenience and Great News on Netflix.  Bob's Burgers, Blackish, Superstore, Life in Pieces on Hulu.    If you like the guys from The It Crowd, try Moone Boy and Travel Man (which is a lighthearted travel show) both on Hulu.

Have you tried The Masked Singer?  It's fun.  They have all the episodes on Hulu.

• Like 1

Limitless (the TV show, not the movie...though they are related) is really fun.  It's like Sherlock if Sherlock was a really warm-hearted, caring, goofy guy.  It has a sci-fi aspect but not your typical sci fi (he takes a drug that makes him super smart...not aliens and time travel.)  

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 1

I'm really enjoying The Good Place, The Great British Bake-Off and I binge watched the whole first season of Dollface and I'm sad there's only one season so far.  Dollface is on Hulu, the other two on Netflix.

I was enjoying The Handmaids Tale, but all the sudden the dystopia is a little too real and I've stopped watching for now. 

• Like 1

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee -- it's such an odd combo of things, but somehow sort of relaxing just to sit and watch a bunch of episodes at one sitting (they are short episodes) -- Jerry Seinfeld picks out some classic car to go pick up a fellow comedian and take them out for coffee, and they just hang out and talk; Jerry often gets them on the topic of how did they get into stand-up comedy, or what "works" to make something funny -- really, it's a cross between a "reality" show and a very very casual celeb interview show -- with great coffee and food thrown in, and driving around in these amazing cars

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

Are you open to trying a Korean series? If so, Crash Landing on You is a funny romantic comedy about the romance between a South Korean heiress and a North Korean soldier. Another one is Signal, a drama on the top of many people's lists. Both shows are available on Netflix.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SereneHome said:

You HAVE TO watch Bless this Mess - it is soooo funny. I don't know if you can "binge" on it as it's only in their second season

I also really liked AP Bio - again, I think it is super funny

Any more tv I've missed in the last 10 years that I should be seeing? The trailers for those look hilarious. :biggrin:

8 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

If you like sitcoms you can do worse than Malcom in the Middle. I still love that show.

Which reminds me, The Middle can be pretty funny too.

ETA: Whoops!  KrissK beat me to it.

Edited by KathyBC
  • Like 1