Menu

What do you want for the holidays?

mommyoffive

For the first time in I think 8 years, we are not going on a travel trip over winter break.

I decided to have a "real tree" for the first time.

Other than that, the main thing I want is peace.

"Things" - I would love it if my kids could find me the same kind of planner they bought me at the school's Candy Cane Shop last year.

More than that, I hope I come up with good gift ideas for everyone else.

I hope to spend some relaxed time with my extended family.

I would love it if my kids could finish all their Pioneer level award requirements over break (AHG)!  Ha!

Time to clean my house would be super.

Getting caught up on my work to-do's would be super-er.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I'm getting an Aussie puppy for Christmas! He is the baby brother of my dog, Titan, who is the most loyal, smart, and crazy-in-a-good-way dog I've ever had.❤️We're bringing him home in about a month - can't wait!

You stink. Oops, I mean Wow! I'm so.happy for you that you're getting a furry little bundle of fun at Christmas and I'm not at all jealous. Nope, not jealous at all!

🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

30 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I'm getting an Aussie puppy for Christmas! He is the baby brother of my dog, Titan, who is the most loyal, smart, and crazy-in-a-good-way dog I've ever had.❤️We're bringing him home in about a month - can't wait!

cool.  1dd is getting an Australian labradoodle puppy for Christmas (13th)  - the younger full-blood sibling of her 19mo (now full size at 18") puppy.   (the breeder rarely breeds the same pair twice.)  he's been great.   she was one of the first on the list, and asks for temperament before confirmation.   

I will be getting them both in the morning, and dd will pick them up from my house.   she's taking Christmas week off.

• Like 8

I'm getting myself a new pair of shoes so I can run and not be so fluffy. And if I ever decide which one (or keep the first I bought), I'm getting a gym bag, which I guess goes with the shoes and being less fluffy. :biggrin:

What I *want* is a 70" tv over a corner fireplace. But I don't know that that will happen, sigh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Costco has had some great sheepskin scuff's with heavy soles.  you could check online.  (they're warm.)

You hit upon the problem.  Lots of stores have them, but I have pretty small feet.  It leaves me in the children's department where they're too wide or in the adult department where they're too wide and too long.  So they sit on my wishlist, waiting.  I can knit my own but I haven't figured out how to attach a non-skid bottom cut to size.

Just now, HomeAgain said:

You hit upon the problem.  Lots of stores have them, but I have pretty small feet.  It leaves me in the children's department where they're too wide or in the adult department where they're too wide and too long.  So they sit on my wishlist, waiting.  I can knit my own but I haven't figured out how to attach a non-skid bottom cut to size.

you can buy non-skid fabric meant for slippers.  I've also seen people make their flip-flops into slippers.  (I'm sure there are directions on pinterest).

I understand the frustration trying to find shoes that fit.  I have a particular wide ball, and everything is too narrow.  it's the rare shoe that fits well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Costco has had some great sheepskin scuff's with heavy soles.  you could check online.  (they're warm.)

I have these. The sheepskin is warm, but there is almost no arch support and they don’t fit snugly. I don’t wear them while going uP and down our stairs. I am going to replace them with some moccasins instead.

ETA: have you seen LL Bean’s daybreak scuffs?

Edited by prairiewindmomma

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

You hit upon the problem.  Lots of stores have them, but I have pretty small feet.  It leaves me in the children's department where they're too wide or in the adult department where they're too wide and too long. 

I wear ladies size 5 or kids size 3 for UGG booties. Sometimes I just buy a pair of booties and use as indoor shoes. 

I buy UGG Tasman slipper to use indoors but I do have a UGG factory outlet nearby https://www.amazon.com/UGG-5955-Womens-Tasman-Slipper/dp/B077TV5HM9

• Like 2

3 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

For my husband to be okay.   We are waiting on a confirmation of polycythemia vera (appt is Nov. 25th).  I just want him to be healthy and for this to essentially be a non-issue in his life.  For him to live a long healthy life despite this diagnosis and for it to never progress to anything more.

Best wishes for his appointment.  My mother was diagnosed about 2 years ago and she has not needed any of the more aggressive treatments, just low dose aspirin and regular check-ups.  She does still suffer from increased fatigue but has no other symptoms or side effects.

• Like 5

I want my daughter to be happy, healthy, stable, and herself again and to return to school or at least to doing homeschooling.  To living her life.  I want her not to have ptsd type reactions to sounds or body dysphoria.  

I want my other daughter to continue doing well.  

Other than that, there's nothing I really want.  Less anxiety all around would be good.  I'd like to be able to bring in some money and have a little more financial security.  

• Like 14

I want my new flooring installed way before Christmas for Christmas. That is truly what I want my gift to be!

Other things I would love: Bath and Body Works candles, fuzzy socks, a new travel mug... that’s pretty much it.  I’ve never asked for anything pricier or more involved than this dang floor in my entire life. And I’m going nuts trying to get ready for it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, marbel said:

This is all I want, as well.   ❤️

Well I will keep you in my prayers that you get it. We are waiting to hear about one place he's pretty excited about. It has only been a week since the interview and Monday they talked to his references.  But waiting is so hard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want a new blender (just basic, not a vitamix), some brown boots, and some earrings. Probably shopping for myself, but that is fine. Mom is buying me the blender. 

Other than that, I want some restful days with lots of time to read, watch movies, and sleep late. I want evenings when we are all home together. Lots of evenings with a fire in the fireplace, soup for dinner, and no meetings, practices or parties to attend.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

My husband’s paternal aunt who is a really kind person to recover from lung cancer. My husband has already lost a paternal aunt (whom I didn’t get to meet but is known for being kind) to lung cancer. I don’t wish anyone ill but is so sad when the kind relatives suffer and my toxic relatives are so healthy and able to inflict more harm 😞

• Sad 1

On 11/14/2019 at 5:56 PM, HomeAgain said:

I want a pair of warm, clog-style slippers with non-skid bottoms.

I saw these at Costco last week.

edited: I don't think they have your size!  My feet are bigger than yours and they don't have my size either.

Edited by Mbelle

Usually I have the worst time thinking of things, this year I'm having a hard time narrowing down the list.

-more fuzzy socks, I have 1 pair I really like

-good tea

-a bench for the front porch

-some face care stuff 

-new shirts- I've been in an black/gray mood forever and I'm sick of it and really earth tones look better on me

- cookbooks (budget bytes; run fast, cook fast, eat slow, maybe one more)

-a vanity for the downstairs vanity (the one we have in there is comically small but we bought it when on a very tight budget)

-I'm considering some kitchen gadgets, I've wanted a spiralizer since I knew they existed as I was paleo for a decade, I'm no longer paleo but still think I'd enjoy it. I also think a food processor would be nice, I only have an ok'ish blender and do everything i can't do with it by hand

Non-material items

-to start sleeping better again

-time with dh and more family time

-to get some down time and figure out how to better balance doing everything with downtime

• Like 1

Some new pictures for the living room wall.  Some caramel popcorn from Fischers in Ocean City, Maryland (they mail it to you and it’s wonderful-wonderful!  Like, eat-5-pounds-in-one-sitting wonderful.  Every single piece has gobs of caramel on it.  Oh yum!)

I was kicking around the idea of getting vanity plates for my car, but it seems so decadent and silly.  

Non-material:  3 weeks alone in the house to clean it from top to bottom, with my family happy and well-cared for somewhere else while I clean the house.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

My usual:

Books

Bird seed

Running socks

I'll give more info on books as I know we have bookish people reading....

A signed copy of Paperbacks from Hell by Grady Hendrix (I know dd has already ordered this for me) and an associated five-book subscription from Valancourt Books. 😂

And I would also love either a book subscription to And Other Stories OR the books they published in 2018 as they were the only publishers who rose up to Kamila Shamsie's challenge of publishing books written only by women in 2018.

-A solar powered lamp post for the edge of my property in my woodland garden.  We've thinned the trees in that spot for more sunlight.  (Don't worry, we're planting more than a dozen fruit and nut trees on the other side of the property.)
-A sweater dress because I finally live somewhere where that's an option. It's like clothes made out of blankets!
-A new quilter's cutting board.  Mine died after 20+ years of faithful service.
-Books for Christmas Book Flood

• Like 1

I've had a hard time coming up with ideas. I want the house fixed up and ready to put on the market (we're planning on it January). Work started today and I'm hoping it gets done before Christmas. I think I've reached an age where there really isn't anything I want that I wouldn't just buy for myself. I just like being with family and watching everyone enjoy themselves.

If I had to pick a "thing" it would probably be a new tripod. We have two - a cheap flimsy one and a good sturdy one. Naturally a leg on the good one broke. 😄 

Well, on the material front--our heat went out right about the time that huge cold front went through last week. Thankfully, it's warmer now and the house isn't bad, but we are still waiting on the new heat unit to come in. Which has made me put one of those cozy electric throws on my Christmas list. Right this minute, that sounds so wonderful!