Menu

What do you want for the holidays?

mommyoffive

9 hours ago, Garga said:

Some new pictures for the living room wall.  Some caramel popcorn from Fischers in Ocean City, Maryland (they mail it to you and it’s wonderful-wonderful!  Like, eat-5-pounds-in-one-sitting wonderful.  Every single piece has gobs of caramel on it.  Oh yum!)

@GargaI am intrigued by this and thinking of ordering some for presents. Can you tell me more, such as which one specifically do you get? Plain caramel? One pound tub? Also, when do you need to order it to get it before Christmas but still have it taste fresh? I’m thinking of getting the popcorn balls too for my DH. It seems expensive, but I’ll give it a shot if it’s really that yummy! 😊

Edited by mmasc

On 11/14/2019 at 3:11 PM, HomeAgain said:

You hit upon the problem.  Lots of stores have them, but I have pretty small feet.  It leaves me in the children's department where they're too wide or in the adult department where they're too wide and too long.  So they sit on my wishlist, waiting.  I can knit my own but I haven't figured out how to attach a non-skid bottom cut to size.

I believe puff paint applied to the bottom of the slipper can act as a non-skid.  

ETA: Did a little Googling.   What about a product like this?

Edited by Forget-Me-Not

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

@GargaI am intrigued by this and thinking of ordering some for presents. Can you tell me more, such as which one specifically do you get? Plain caramel? One pound tub? Also, when do you need to order it to get it before Christmas but still have it taste fresh? I’m thinking of getting the popcorn balls too for my DH. It seems expensive, but I’ll give it a shot if it’s really that yummy! 😊

I hadn’t thought of those questions!  I looked on their website and found their FAQ page and there is good news:  If you keep it sealed, it should stay fresh for months and mailing time is only a few days.  So, you could order it pretty soon and it should stay fresh through to the next year.  

https://fisherspopcorn.com/faqs/

I always get the plain caramel.  My dh got me the 2.5 gallon plastic tub last time we were in Ocean City and it lasted a week with the 4 of us nibbling on it each day (ok—in all fairness, I totally gorged on it and only shared when another family member stumbled upon me stuffing my face and insisted that I share.)  We used to get the 1 gallon tubs, but I never felt like that was enough.  It was gone soooo fast.  The 2.5 felt like enough.  

I’ve not bothered trying the other flavors or the popcorn balls.  I just know that each bite of caramel popcorn is wonderful deliciousness.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Garga said:

I hadn’t thought of those questions!  I looked on their website and found their FAQ page and there is good news:  If you keep it sealed, it should stay fresh for months and mailing time is only a few days.  So, you could order it pretty soon and it should stay fresh through to the next year.  

https://fisherspopcorn.com/faqs/

I always get the plain caramel.  My dh got me the 2.5 gallon plastic tub last time we were in Ocean City and it lasted a week with the 4 of us nibbling on it each day (ok—in all fairness, I totally gorged on it and only shared when another family member stumbled upon me stuffing my face and insisted that I share.)  We used to get the 1 gallon tubs, but I never felt like that was enough.  It was gone soooo fast.  The 2.5 felt like enough.  

I’ve not bothered trying the other flavors or the popcorn balls.  I just know that each bite of caramel popcorn is wonderful deliciousness.

I’m totally getting this! Thank you so much for the idea and the info!😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mmasc said:

I’m totally getting this! Thank you so much for the idea and the info!😊

I told my dh tonight that you were getting Fischers popcorn for your dh without ever trying it based on some stranger’s (me) recommendation online.  I said, “Do you think I steered her wrong?” He said, “Are you kidding?  Fischer’s popcorn is the best. Popcorn simply doesn’t come better than that.  And if she doesn’t like it, tell her she can send her popcorn here and we'll take good care of it for her.”  

But just in case you need verification: out of 1969 people, 96% give Fischer’s popcorn 5 stars, and the remaining 4% give them 4 stars.  No 3, 2, or 1s. https://www.fishers-popcorn.com/pages/reviews

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Garga said:

I told my dh tonight that you were getting Fischers popcorn for your dh without ever trying it based on some stranger’s (me) recommendation online.  I said, “Do you think I steered her wrong?” He said, “Are you kidding?  Fischer’s popcorn is the best. Popcorn simply doesn’t come better than that.  And if she doesn’t like it, tell her she can send her popcorn here and we'll take good care of it for her.”  

But just in case you need verification: out of 1969 people, 96% give Fischer’s popcorn 5 stars, and the remaining 4% give them 4 stars.  No 3, 2, or 1s. https://www.fishers-popcorn.com/pages/reviews

That’s hilarious! My dh *loves* popcorn balls and is one of those hardest-to-buy-for-in-the-world people, so this is just perfect. And based on your glowing recommendation, I’m getting a tub for myself, err...I mean the family, and another tub as a present for someone else in the extended family. I’m excited! 

I’ve derailed with popcorn questions😂, but never posted what I’d like for Christmas. If we’re talking purely material here, I’d like to have:

Bath & Body Works small essential oil candles in Lavender or Limoncello

injinji toe socks (crew length for boots)

chocolates-Mozart kugeln (which I also discovered on these boards, at Christmas time!)

amazon gc so o can get kindle books when my library doesn’t have what I want

Earrings (nothing fancy, just some new ones from kohl’s or Walmart or something)

On November 14, 2019 at 4:50 PM, unsinkable said:

You stink. Oops, I mean Wow! I'm so.happy for you that you're getting a furry little bundle of fun at Christmas and I'm not at all jealous. Nope, not jealous at all!

🙂

Ditto.  I'd love a puppy but I promised my cat I wouldn't.  We do have a dog but she's Not My Dog.

I need a new vacuum but I don't think I can wait til Christmas.  

Now if it's just something I want?  A Clinton Anderson signature horse.  They start at about $25,000.  Ain't happening.

ETA- just went to the CA site to drool and I'm wrong.  They are $30,000.  Definitely ain't happening.

Edited by MaBelle

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

@Garga I was going to place my order for popcorn today and the shipping is crazy expensive!!! Do you know if they ever offer free shipping (Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc)? My order was about $60, and the shipping was going to be $43. 😵😩

Oh nooooo!  I hadn’t looked yet and wondered what the shipping would be.  If it’s that much, I don’t think dh will be getting me popcorn for Christmas.  

I’ve never ordered It online before.  We’ve only gotten it when we go to the ocean on vacation.  I don’t know if they have shipping sales.  😞

Edited by Garga

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

@Garga I was going to place my order for popcorn today and the shipping is crazy expensive!!! Do you know if they ever offer free shipping (Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc)? My order was about $60, and the shipping was going to be $43. 😵😩

I found this page of stuff they ship for free—will any of it work for you?  https://www.fishers-popcorn.com/collections/free-shipping-items

• Thanks 2

I want to SKIP it all.  OK, not all of it.  I enjoy DD's university choir's Christmas service.  I don't mind cooking or sharing meals.  I even enjoy the lights on the tree. I just don't need, or especially enjoy the shopping/decorating/wrapping part and I don't think my efforts are remotely over the top.  I feel like I got my last child to adulthood (My youngest has disabilities and is a bit young for his age, but he's getting there.) and I should be off the hook and able to phase this out like I did kiddie parties and Halloween. Dh doesn't like to shop either.  I feel like nobody will need me to do this much longer, so an end is in sight, but it's not quite time yet.  Is it even possible to have senioritis for Christmas? Is this the world's lamest mid-life crisis symptom? Why don't we have a hibernation option yet?

There's nothing I really WANT.  I'm in a serious purging phase.  If it's not necessary or consumable I don't want the responsibility for it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

Maybe...I’ll check it out. It looks like it’s a different website. ?? And has free shipping over $50. 

Oh goodness, what are they doing to us?!

Ok—I’ve researched it a bit.  One website shows this as their location:

D880D679-C071-4C2E-BE81-F86F91B527D5.thumb.png.13d537dbcf52e994e76d333c715b7a67.png

And the other website shows this:

6AFC2A45-45EF-44C5-8D41-AF147B02BD44.thumb.png.605e2f910c98bfe18752791ebfa256db.png

You can see that both locations are the exact same place.  One is a map and one is a satellite image, but I can confirm from being there, that Fishers is the only popcorn place in that spot.  

I have no idea what’s up with the two websites, but they are the same place per the maps.  I’m going to get DH to order from the one with the free shipping.  Would you like me to get him to order from there tomorrow and see what comes before you order?  I’ll be able to confirm if I got the right thing or not.  

Or maybe I’ll ask dh to call them tomorrow and see why there are two sites.  (He has off work tomorrow, but I have a bunch of school stuff to do with the boys.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

Maybe...I’ll check it out. It looks like it’s a different website. ?? And has free shipping over $50. 

And I just confirmed, the Boardwalk is called “The Boardwalk” but is also known as “Atlantic Ave.”  One website has one address and the other has the other address.  

I think I’ll ask dh to call them both.  

• Thanks 1

Oh my goodness, @Garga you are so kind to do all this research and even try to get your popcorn first to test it out! But please don’t do that because I want you to enjoy your present. You’ve done way too much research for your own present already! 😆

Report back if you want on what your dh says. I’ll probably order at least the popcorn balls from the ‘not free shipping’ site bc I want those the most for dh.  If it’s the same place/same popcorn, I’ll get a couple of buckets too from the ‘free shipping site’. 

Nothing I’m going to actually get. Stupid expensive list.. *sigh* 

A water safe camera for my snorkel/scuba trips.

new scuba boots.

prescription dive mask so I can see better/further

wood floors downstairs

remodel the kitchen

newer van

a 28” check-in suitcase (mine busted and I don’t want to have to keep borrowing one)

trip somewhere with warm water to swim in

Upgrade my phone

a set of interchangeable steel chaiogoo knitting needles with red cables

a treadmill or elliptical that’s easy on the feet/back

• Like 1

I’d be okay with just being done with the holidays. While I have an expensive list of stuff I’d like to have I just don’t care about any of it enough to stress about $$ for it. I really hate this time of year for too many personal reasons to name and would prefer to just get to Easter already. Easter is my kind of holiday.

Don’t worry. I suck it up as best I can for the family so it’s mostly joyous for them but I’m nothing but relieved to just be done with the year and get to spring ASAP. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

Oh my goodness, @Garga you are so kind to do all this research and even try to get your popcorn first to test it out! But please don’t do that because I want you to enjoy your present. You’ve done way too much research for your own present already! 😆

Report back if you want on what your dh says. I’ll probably order at least the popcorn balls from the ‘not free shipping’ site bc I want those the most for dh.  If it’s the same place/same popcorn, I’ll get a couple of buckets too from the ‘free shipping site’. 

DH found a FAQ page that explains the two websites: looks like each website is a different distributor of the same popcorn product.  So the popcorn is the same, and it should be safe to buy from either place.  (Like how you can get the same Doritos from Giant or Safeway.)

Here’s the page: https://www.fishers-popcorn.com/pages/advance-faq

Edited by Garga
  • Thanks 1