Menu

What would you consider winter coat weather?

Annetta

Hmm. I don’t really know, but if I put on a jacket and am still shivering, it’s winter coat weather. I hate to be cold, so I err towards having too much warmth. I wear and bring layers when in doubt. 

Also, temperature is not the only factor because wind and dewpoint also play a role. 

• Like 2

Depends on what I am doing and how long I will be outside.  I remember once going to to the car and then into church thinking, "hmm, maybe I should have grabbed a jacket" (I had on short sleeve)....well it was minus 4 F....so quite chilly.  Sun and wind make a big difference too.

40 and sunny with no wind is hoodie weather or Long sleeve t shirt if we are going to be active.

• Like 7

Depends on time of day and on how humid and windy it is, but in general I'd say morning lows in the upper 20's to low 30's would have us reaching for a warmer jacket. If the low is above the mid-30's and it's not very windy or damp then I'm thinking more about layering a couple of lighter weight jackets, or a heavier long sleeved shirt and a light jacket. I'm in NC, but not up in the higher elevations where winters are much colder and wind chill is often a huge factor.

9 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Depends on the situation.  If I am just running to the store for a gallon of milk or something, I might not wear a winter coat even if it's winter coat weather.  But if I am going to be outside watching a soccer game for several hours and it's windy and foggy, I might be in a winter coat AND under a heavy blanket lol, even if the temp is like 50*

Exactly.  Sun...or lack of it, wind, humidity, etc all play a big part on how cold I feel.  I am pretty anti jacket though.

Ordinarily 60 degrees is sweater/sweatshirt weather, 50-60 degrees is barn coat, colder is winter coat or barn coat and sweater/sweatshirt.  But, one year I visited the panhandle of Florida for Christmas.  I was glad I had my winter coat.  60 degrees is cold with nearly 100 percent humidity.  

• Like 1

For anything near 60 F I'd never be putting on a winter coat. That's a beautiful spring/fall day where I live now, and it was a decent summer day where I grew up. 😄

When I put on a "winter coat" and how one actually defines "winter coat" totally depends on a mix of variables: how long I'll be outside, what I'll be doing outside, sun, wind, or freezing rain/snow.  I only ever where my "heavy winter coat" if I'm outside and not moving much, but even then I don't like it as it is so bulky and a pain to store if I have to take it off at a destination. 

I most often dress in layers.

• Like 3

Ummm regularly I forget to bring a coat in all weather above 0F. If I'm going to be outside for more than a few minutes, I usually have a jacket of some kind. But an actual coat? If I'm going to be outside and active about 20F, a fleece is enough. If I'm going to be outside but inactive, i wear a coat below about 40. If I'm going to be outside and active for more than an hour, under 30 ... probably have a coat. 

• Like 1

How long actually outside?  (Not counting cars)

I usually wear a heavy fleece into the 40s/50s if I'm driving/ goingin stores- but also wear a med. weight Down jacket at the same temps.  

What I'm wearing underneath can change too.  Long sleeve vs short. Wool socks, gloves. Etc.

What is considered a winter coat?  A parka?  I'm assuming that you live somewhere like Florida. . .    Here where I live people wear short sleeves and shorts at the first sign of a nice day - including in the 60's.  I wear long sleeves in the low 60's.  I wear long sleeves and a light sweater or  jacket in the 50's and high 40's.  I would wear an actual winter coat if it were in the lower 40's and below.  A lot of it depends on what you are acclimated to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What is considered a winter coat?  A parka?  I'm assuming that you live somewhere like Florida. . .    Here where I live people wear short sleeves and shorts at the first sign of a nice day - including in the 60's.  I wear long sleeves in the low 60's.  I wear long sleeves and a light sweater or  jacket in the 50's and high 40's.  I would wear an actual winter coat if it were in the lower 40's and below.  A lot of it depends on what you are acclimated to. 

This is exactly what I was going to say... my fall jacket may be your winter coat!

• Like 2

I have a full length down coat that I wear over my lightweight office clothes from about 6 degrees C. However at weekends I wear a lot of layers in the house, so at that temperature, I'm more likely to wear a light shell to go out.

The level of humidity also makes a big difference. Lands End temperature gradings don't translate to Scottish conditions.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

I have multiple winter coats for various temperatures and activities.

If I'm skiing or snowshoeing, no matter how cold it might be, I'm not wearing anything heavier than a light fleece or very light down vest at most. If I'm watching a ski race and it's below 20 or so and I'll be standing outside in deep snow for hours, I'll wear my long down coat. For general running around, I'm in a light down jacket pretty much no matter the temperature. 

About 35F is winter coat weather here.  That’s when I haul out my good coat for going outside.  Of course, if I’m skiing or something, 30F is still too warm and it has to be closer to 10F before I put on my warm clothes when I’m exercising.

For comparison - it’s in the 80s here this week and we are all complaining about the Brutal Heat.

22 minutes ago, Janeway said:

ha ha ha..about below 60 degrees. I don't own a winter coat. My theory is..no snow, no coat. Just saying.....

Hang on, 60 degrees F is over 15 degrees C. That's summer in Scotland!  We get above 21 C or 70F a few times a year!

ETA https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh#Climate

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

I remember growing up in Phoenix and standing at the bus stop shivering in the "winter" when it was about 60 degrees in my "winter coat" which most people would call a wind breaker jacket lol. Ive lived quite a few places since then including places where it doesn't get out of the negative numbers on the farenheit scale during the day for weeks at a time. Some of the schools my kids went to regularly sent home letters in the winter reminding parents that children still had outdoor recess until daytime temperatures stayed below 20 degrees farenheit so children needed to wear full snow gear to school. My kids were ready to break out shorts at 40 degrees lol. We live in a much milder climate now and grandma would harass them to put on a jacket when it was 50 degrees outside but that wasnt even cold to them lol.

Personally, I put on a light jacket or sweatshirt around the mid to lower 30s. I feel like I need a coat when the airtemp or windchill reach the lower twenties. A far cry from the "60 degrees is freezing!"  from when I was a kid. Lol

Too many variables for me to really answer. LOL I have more jackets than pants. I live in the PNW, and I have probably a dozen jackets that are a single rain layer. all the way up to full ski coats. I wear them all, in the winter, just depends on the day.  Most of the time (even in snow), it is a super light weight down jacket or a fleece, unless I am going to be spending more than 20 minutes outside.  My down jacket I will wear even in the 60*s because I hate to be cold and I don't get hot in it.  For an insulated ski jacket, it would prob be in the 50*s and I would have to plan to be out in the weather.  But like others have said...rain, wind, snow, sun all play into my jacket choice.

Under about 40F. It's always humid here and yes, you will get pouring rain when it's 35 out (and also when it's 95; I did not move here for the weather!). I require DS to carry one but not to wear it.

Once on a cool, drizzly day, I was rear-ended by a guy who had neither a coat nor a cell phone with him. He had a long couple of hours until the police officer was done writing it up. One traffic light later, he was rear-ended by somebody else! I think it's best to have a coat in the car even if you don't expect to be out long enough to get cold. (We bring drinking water in hot weather.)

• Like 2

Under about 40F. It's always humid here and yes, you will get pouring rain when it's 35 out (and also when it's 95; I did not move here for the weather!). I require DS to carry one but not to wear it.

We had that same rule. I said I wasn't going to micromanage them, but I didn't want CPS barking up my butt either, and if they went out in the snow in a t-shirt and no coat, sooner or later somebody WOULD call.

about 30-35 is when I put on an actual coat. Under 30 is when I put on my heavy winter coat - unless it's really windy and I'll put it on before. 

In 60 degree weather I carry a light sweater, probably with my capris and sandals. 50 is about where I start wearing longer sleeves and layering a sweater on. 

It also depends on what I'm doing. I did not own a wind resistant coat until last year because I never had to be outside for a considerable length of time. At my current university, I may need to walk 2-3 blocks for class and it was frigid cold this winter. 

It's been 90+ degrees here, but the library I'm studying in is freezing, so I'll carry a sweater. 

I keep my house at 78 degrees in the summer.  My dh has it programmed to drop to 77 when he gets home.  That’s when I put on a robe over my clothes.  

Winter coat weather: depends on the coat.  Cotton blazer if it’s 73 or less, indoors or out...all the way to puffy coat with hat, gloves, boots, long johns, etc, once it hits about 35.  Maybe 40 or 45 if it’s windy.  

Some women have a collection of shoes, some have a collection of purses...I have a collection of various weighted coats/jackets.  I wear lots and lots of coats/jackets depending upon where we are.  

You will never see me in a public place without some sort of jacket on hand.  The a/c in public places is always much too low for me.  (See second and third sentences about robes at 77 degrees.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Annetta said:

For me it’s anything below 60F

I'm with you there. If it's 60F or below I'm bundling up!

11 hours ago, Sherry in OH said:

Ordinarily 60 degrees is sweater/sweatshirt weather, 50-60 degrees is barn coat, colder is winter coat or barn coat and sweater/sweatshirt.  But, one year I visited the panhandle of Florida for Christmas.  I was glad I had my winter coat.  60 degrees is cold with nearly 100 percent humidity.  

So many people don't understand this. They laugh at us for complaining about the "cold" weather when the temperature is 50 or 60 degrees Fahrenheit but they don't understand what the humidity is like. Sometimes visitors from a northern state (like you 🙂 ) will have a lightbulb moment when they experience our version of winter. 

I remember going to Tennessee in December one year and it was 25 degrees on a dry sunny day. That 25 felt the same as when it's 45 here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I’m going to be outside for a significant amount of time, probably 45* or colder.  For just running errands or whatever, in and out of the car and buildings, 30 or below.  I hate coats.  

Tomorrow’s overnight low is supposed to get down to 59* and I can’t wait!!!

I might grab my fleece lined windbreaker if it's 50.  But I also might just grab it and throw it in the car and not actually wear it.  

If it's 40 or colder, I will probably wear my wool coat.  Probably.  Depending on how long I'll be out, and whether it's windy or not.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sherry in OH said:

I always feel better when I here people from up north say this kind of stuff! I always feel like such a wimp complaining about 50 degree weather here, but the humidity DOES make it feel colder! When I visited Wisconsin it was 20 degrees and it felt much warmer than it often does here at 50 degrees. 

19 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

If I'm going to be outside for more than a few minutes, I usually have a jacket of some kind. But an actual coat? I

I don't even know the difference between a jacket and a coat! Another reason I think us Floridians suffer in the winter, not only does the humidity make it seem colder than it is, none of us have the right clothing for it! My "winter' clothes consist of a few pairs of jeans, a few pairs of yoga pants, a few long sleeve cotton shirts, and a zip up hoodie. That hoodie is my jacket, and the closest thing I have to a winter coat, whatever that is, lol. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

I don’t usually wear anything heavier than a hoodie until it’s below 40.  

60 is when I start wearing shorts.  

My rule is you can't wear shorts to the playground if it is 32F or lower. I have one that puts on capris & long socks when I make her. She wears a light jacket with another layer if the wind chill is near 0F.

11 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

So many people don't understand this. They laugh at us for complaining about the "cold" weather when the temperature is 50 or 60 degrees Fahrenheit but they don't understand what the humidity is like. Sometimes visitors from a northern state (like you 🙂 ) will have a lightbulb moment when they experience our version of winter. 

We have high humidity where I'm at so our cold is a wet cold. My dd#1 was considering going to college in Florida  so we went for a visit in November when we had snow & wind chills below 0F. Florida was beautiful & we didn't wear jackets. It was above 55F and you could tell the "natives" from the "tourists" in the college group. The natives had on jackets & were still shivering. My DH went jogging in shorts & a t-shirt. Felt like a gorgeous early summer morning where we live.

Edited by RootAnn
Typo (shorts when I meant socks!)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I don't even know the difference between a jacket and a coat! Another reason I think us Floridians suffer in the winter, not only does the humidity make it seem colder than it is, none of us have the right clothing for it! My "winter' clothes consist of a few pairs of jeans, a few pairs of yoga pants, a few long sleeve cotton shirts, and a zip up hoodie. That hoodie is my jacket, and the closest thing I have to a winter coat, whatever that is, lol. 

Also, our homes are built to keep heat out, not in. When we have an extended period of cold weather (especially a freeze) we can't even get our houses warm enough to be comfortable. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Hang on, 60 degrees F is over 15 degrees C. That's summer in Scotland!  We get above 21 C or 70F a few times a year!

ETA https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh#Climate

I was laughing about the other person saying they would wear a coat at below 60 degrees. Sounds like someone raised in the south! I live in the south but did not grow up here and find it funny to see people in ..I even saw someone in a Parka when it was around 60 degrees! ha ha ha ha...

Up down to 50F, I am fine with a T shirt and a fleece sweater. 

Below 40, I want my Lands End winter coat if i am outside for extended periods of time (not just running from the car into work)

I wear my mother's old fur lined coat when it is below 20F; it's too warm for anything above.

ETA: OP, please clarify what you mean by "winter coat". Fur coat? Heavy down coat? Rain jacket with fleece liner?

Edited by regentrude

9 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I always feel better when I here people from up north say this kind of stuff! I always feel like such a wimp complaining about 50 degree weather here, but the humidity DOES make it feel colder! When I visited Wisconsin it was 20 degrees and it felt much warmer than it often does here at 50 degrees. 

It really just depends on what people are acclimated too.  I was buying my nephew from Florida jeans and a hoodie when he was in Seattle in July because our summer evenings were super cold to him.  We were sitting at a baseball game one night and he’s shivering in his new hoodie while the rest of us are perfectly fine in sun dresses/tank tops/t/shirts and shorts.  

I don’t see the need to tease him or you about it as I can barely handle a June day in most parts of Florida.  It goes both ways.  What I consider unbearably hot is just average day for you and him.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

I grew up south of San Francisco, and we always called our jackets during the winter months "ski jackets" -- whether we skied or not.  🙂  We considered those winter coats.  To be fair, it did get chilly in the evenings sometimes, down to the 40's.  They weren't thick, down coats, but they felt winter-like to us.

Now that I live in a midwestern northern state and it gets really, really cold, as in 40 BELOW 0, "winter coat" has taken on a completely different definition.  It's a coat that is so warm that it could save your life if you were stranded on a street corner in frigid weather.  So that would be an actual coat -- meaning (to me) longer, past your hips at least, and filled with thick down or similar synthetic material.

In the fall or early spring when it gets as high as 40 ABOVE 0, I wouldn't even use the word "coat" anymore.  That would be a jacket (which is shorter).  It would be a light-weight warmish jacket, but nothing like what I now think of as a winter coat.

• Like 1

Light fleece or layers of wool 40-60

Windblock fleece or insulated jacket 25-40

Parka below 20 or  35 if sitting outside for hours in the wind (at a football game)

Layers of long underwear, wool, thick pants and insulated boots below 20, more layer the colder. 

For a windchill -30 to -60 include a russian rabbit skin hat with those cheek flaps.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:53 AM, Quill said:

Hmm. I don’t really know, but if I put on a jacket and am still shivering, it’s winter coat weather. I hate to be cold, so I err towards having too much warmth. I wear and bring layers when in doubt. 

Also, temperature is not the only factor because wind and dewpoint also play a role. 

Yes, this is me, too. Activity level plays a part for me, too. Sitting, watching a soccer game is different than taking a brisk walk to the store.

If you're looking for a temperature, somewhere in the upper 50's if I'm going to be stationary, lower 50's to upper 40's if I am active.

I think it does vary by person. My husband doesn't don a winter coat as frequently as I do, but he's generally warmer than I am all year long.

I think it also varies according to where you live & what your body is used to. Our relatives that live in tropical climates are cold when they come to visit us in the fall, and I've visited friends in Michigan in the early summer when it's 80 degrees outside and they have commented on how hot it is, but I was very comfortable, not just because of the temperature, but because the humidity is so much lower where we were.

• Like 1

Winter coats are thick in my mind so 40F or below. But 40F in sun a winter coat is too heavy. Otherwise a sweater does just fine. 

But I live in a country where kids wear hats and gloves at 70F! And I get yelled at by old ladies cause my son is in a t-shirt 😃

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, lulalu said:

Winter coats are thick in my mind so 40F or below. But 40F in sun a winter coat is too heavy. Otherwise a sweater does just fine. 

But I live in a country where kids wear hats and gloves at 70F! And I get yelled at by old ladies cause my son is in a t-shirt 😃

My kids were born and fostered in a tropical country.  Their foster families always bundled them in layers as if it were the arctic.  I thought they would be shocked when I brought them home on a cold, rainy October night.  But they were apparently unfazed.  They went through a period where they hated wearing coats in the winter, and I didn't fight it.  I figured that if they felt cold, they'd reach for their coats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lulalu said:

These things are seriously cultural.  When I lived in another country thirty years ago, I was scolded for going out with my long hair damp after washing it.  It was hot (well over 70 degrees F), but wet hair outside was considered unhealthy.  I was told that I would get headaches when I grew old.  I'm waiting...

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

After a year or so after moving to Southern California, I started wearing my winter coat as soon as we dip below the high 50s. Those days are the only times I get to wear it, and it feels just right with one layer underneath. Of course, I do bundle up more if I am going to just be sitting watching an outdoor sports event for example.