Menu

How much is this house near you?

mommyoffive

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question!  Out of curiosity I just went and did a search on 3+ bath, 5+ bedroom, 3000 to 4000 sq ft, 1 or more acre land.  Absolute minimum $500,000 and that does not call into question the state of the house.  Depending on the area and the house, it could go well over a million. 

ETA - I am urban, so the most challenging thing is the land.  All the lower price options I was looking at were further out from the city (30+ minutes from where we live in the middle of the action). 

Edited by WoolySocks

5 bedrooms

3.5 baths

3000 square feet

On at least 1 acre or land (1-5)

Nice inside, either new or updated.  No gutting involved. 

Here, in our school district, it would matter if you were on rock roads or highway.

$350,000 on highway less than two miles from us sold very similarly to your description last year.

Our house fits this description roughly.  We bought it (needed a LOT of updating and had a few question marks that could have been potentially very expensive) for under $220.  Almost fully updated, the house is now worth about $265k.  With a new furnace and an updated kitchen it would probably list around $299k and depending on what else was on the market (things here go fast) it would probably sell for $280k-$290k.

Each of these houses has approximately 2 acres (just a shade under.)

Midwest

Excellent school district

Great commute to a bigger city (direct route approx. 20 minutes)

Way over a million (close to $2 million) for that square feet and very small lawn/backyard.

ETA:

No acreage for SFH. A townhome is already a million or more. A 2 bedroom condo is close to a million.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

$300,000-400,000

I am on 10 acres, 4 bed, 3.5 bath, and 3200sqf. Brand new house with mid-higher end finishes and fall into that range. We are a bit out in the country and therefore have more land for the price. The same house in town would probably be the same price but on 1-3 acres of land.

5 bedrooms

3.5 baths

3000 square feet

just up the street from me, there's a new one (the existing house was razed) that recently sold matching that description - except 3/4 acre. it was $2M.

eta: did a redfin search.  if you go further out, you can get one starting under $700K - but you're driving an hour each way into the city.  and those are older homes (not tear-downs) and who knows how much work they'd need.

also varies by if you have a view or not.  the most I found was $9.75M - but it was on hunts point of lake washington.

Edited by gardenmom5

Our home is 4K sf (5br, 4ba), but only .19 acre.....located in northern suburbs of Denver and currently around $465-$485K valuation.  I honestly have no idea the cost of a larger home WITH land- I know of smaller homes with 1 acre that are $800K and about 1 hour north of the city. 

I would say in Central Iowa, between $350K-$500K depending on features. We live in a lower cost of living state, but in a high cost of living area within the state. Go half an hour to an hour in any direction and you'll find lower cost on housing.

I found one that is 4 beds, 4 baths, 2.5 acres along the river, indoor swimming pool, out building, 4, 788 sq feet, with an additional 1300 sq ft of finished basement.

Beautiful house! $419,999 This house is about 45 minutes west of us.

kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 1

Well we have a 5 bedroom, 2 bath that's 2000 sq feet (so I realize it's not your square footage), with 5 acres (would need some freshening, but mostly paint and such) and it just appraised for $234,000 (we bought it for 95K 18 years ago).

My guess is your exact specs in our area would run $300-400K depending on whether it was an acre or 5.

Edited by StaceyinLA

Easily 500,000, but probably more 800.000 depending on the condition. 

If it's an older house and in one of the more desirable neighborhoods then it would easily be twice that.  If it is out of town in one of the new "McMansion" areas, with a lake view, again twice 500,000.

But if it were downtown and in good condition then 500,00-800,000

In all of those cases, it wouldn't have the acerage.  For that, you need to leave the city/town area. 

Edited by redsquirrel

In an urban/suburban area, 500k+, and could easily be over a million. Low COL area, but very few large lots. You could get 3000 sq ft for about $200k-300k, but it wouldn't have more than .25-.30 of an acre. Go far enough out that land is cheap and there are big old farm houses and you could probably get that for $200k or so-but you'd be looking at being several hours drive from a big city and probably close to an hour from a grocery store. Several of DD's herpetology mentors live on similar pieces of land (sometimes with smaller houses, but more lot size) so they essentially have their own private wildlife preserves) and they accept long commutes as part of the package.

Edited by dmmetler

It really depends.  The closer you get to the city, the more over $1M that would be.

I am 19 miles due South of the city, in a very nice area, and here you could get that for $450K or so???

$3M where we moved from.

I'm guessing at appx $500-600K but as mentioned above, there are two factors that could cause this to vary quite widely: location and interior finish.

An old farmhouse on a major highway ($200-300K) versus an estate sized lot in a desirable area with designer finish (toured one like this at $2.1M) - big difference!

5 bedrooms

3.5 baths

3000 square feet

3,000 SF on one floor -- $475k+

3,000 SF on two floors -- $450l+

3,000 SF on three floors (such as, including a finished basement space) -- $350k+

That's near me in VA, not near me in IT.

I put the stats in realtor.com and got 314 options within a 20 mile radius of Gettysburg, PA.  Some had 2+ baths listed - not sure how they ended up in the list when I said 3+ baths... but here, take a look:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Gettysburg_PA/beds-5/baths-3/acre-1/radius-20/sby-1

Lowest price is 110K.  The highest price on the first page is 249K.  I'm not looking through them all.  There appear to be plenty to choose from.

• Like 1

750K, give or take.

ETA: somehow I skimmed right over the "nice inside" part. Most of the house that size with that space in our area are century home in need of restoration. The ones that are actually in good repair and well kept sell for significantly more (I just don't pay attention to them because DH and I are handy and prefer the cheaper fixer uppers, lol). For a NICE one... 1 million. A lot of that cost is in the land. You can get McMansions of that size on postage stamp lots in the subrubs for about 450-500K.

Edited by SproutMamaK

Our house is 5 BR, 4 BA, on 3/4 acre, around 3500 sq ft. Close to your specs. Our neighborhood is selling in the low $300's right now but we have 9 new subdivisions going in with much less property priced around the same. So I'm anticipating our neighborhood to go up in price soon.

5 bedrooms

3.5 baths

3000 square feet

You wouldn't get an acre of land. Typical size lot is 1/5 to 1/3 acre.

In my town, I see:

4BR/4BA 3565 sf 1/3 acre $1.6M

4BR/3BA 3059 sf 1/3 acre $1.2M

4BR/2.5BA 2630 sf 1/5 are $995k

4BR/2.5BA 2532 sf 1/5 acre $875k

Go over to the more chi-chi neighboring towns, you'd need to add maybe $300k. Go over to the less prestigious small city that borders my town and subtract about $200k.  Still ridiculously expensive.

• Like 1

In my current town you have to have at least 1 million minimum. In my immediate neighborhood, single family homes are selling between 650,000 to 950,000 but the biggest lots are are like 7,000 square feet. ETA The number of bedrooms ranges between 3 and 6 in my neighborhood.

Edited by Mabelen