Menu

How often do you get a new phone?

Just wondering?  How often do you get a new phone?  I got a "smart phone" maybe 6 years ago and that one was so low end it didn't work so  upgraded and have had the same one from 5 years ago.  I am mostly fine with it other than I have run out of storage on it because I want to keep all my photos and videos on the phone and my kids just cracked the screen 2 days ago.  But trying to switch to another cell phone provider is an issue because my phone is so OLD.  

I don't think DH or I have ever kept one longer than four years. But in the last few years there hasn't been much improved about new phones that's a big incentive for us to get new ones. Our current ones are almost three years old and I have a feeling we'll keep them for a good while longer unless we decide to change carriers (which is a definite possibility) and they have a good offer on new ones.

I am still using my iPhone 6s, bought in December 2015. It is running iOS 15.8.2.  My husband bought me an iPhone 13 Pro a few months ago as a standby phone in case my 6s finally refused to be revived. Our phones are all prepaid unlocked AT&T phones. My kids have Android phones and we buy them new ones every 3 years because of the lack of OS updates. My husband is using an iPhone SE 2nd gen bought this year because his company needs his phone to have the latest OS. His previous phone was a iPhone 7 plus bought in 2017.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

When the old one breaks... and then we get one that's not the latest model. (Currently we all have a model of Android that the internet tells me was released in early 2018--the brand's seventh newest.)

New design = untested.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 3

The last time I got a new phone my old one was only 2 years old, but that's because we needed something to replace the remote for our TV (which is was a small tablet). The previous time was about 5 years and that was because my previous phone had too little memory and every other thing demands that I have the App for it (seriously it's ridiculous when my sons summer baseball thing needs 2 apps).  

• Like 1

When the old phone's battery life becomes an issue or I really want a new much better resolution camera - so typically 2-4 years. 

But, I did change after only a year and half last time - mostly because I went from Moto to Samsung. I hated that Samsung with a passion because it was always trying to push Samsung apps, and it seems like it was always updating (and sometimes it would update away from home WiFi and use up a bunch of data even though I tried to set it up not to do that). But I just gave it to my DH who needed a new phone and doesn't really care because he doesn't use many apps outside of a couple of card game apps.  And I got the current Pixel - which I love.

But, I always get an Android - usually one of the budget picks, so we aren't sinking a lot of money into any phone. Plus I try to buy them during a Black Friday sale, so price is extra decent. 

I've always set my phone to upload photos and videos to my cloud - when I get back to a WiFi connection. I don't want to lose those like I did years ago when I had an ITouch (probably 15 years ago?)

• Like 3

I'm still using the iPhone 6s I bought in 2015. At some point I'll need to replace it since 6s is no longer supported, but for now it still does everything I need it to do. It's unlocked and I have a cheap prepaid AT&T plan that works out to $25/mo for 16g of data.

DS has an ancient Moto-something that stopped being usable as a phone when AT&T turned off 3G two years ago. So he got whatever was the current model of iPhone at that point, but he still carries around the ancient Moto because he doesn't want to bother transferring his WhatsApp conversations or something, so he still uses it with wifi. DD upgrades her phone every 2-3 years because she always has to have the newest/coolest thing, which drives me nuts.

We also only get a new phone when our current ones are no good anymore and then we get an older model - whatever is the best value.  I'm not techy and only need it for the basics.  I like a smaller phone but make the font embarrassingly large.  

• Like 1

Only if I think I really need to.  Such as, if it's so old that it's no longer able to keep up with updates that I need, or if the battery dies only hours after it's fully charged and there's nothing more I can do about it.  That maybe averages 5 years or so?   It's frustrating that it doesn't last longer than that.  My dad kept his iPhone for years and years, but he turned off all updates and only used it for phone calls and texting, so I guess it depends on what you use it for.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I am mostly fine with it other than I have run out of storage on it because I want to keep all my photos and videos on the phone and my kids just cracked the screen 2 days ago.

My iPhone 6s has 128gb and my standby 13 Pro has 256gb. I do backup to iCloud and OneDrive but like having my photos and videos with me instead of thumbnails only. If you are using an android phone like my kids, they usually have a card slot for a SD card. My iPhone 13 pro was bought during the Target 50% off sale. My husband would check SlickDeals often for stuff like that. 

• Like 1

I just got a new one.  My iPhone 6 stopped holding a charge for more than a few minutes and I couldn't update some apps I use regularly so I upgraded to an 11.  I thought my 6 was 4 years old but it was closer to 6, maybe 7 years old.  I get a new phone as infrequently as possible and always upgrade to whatever I can get for $199 or less.  

When the old one no longer works or storage is maxed out. I am currently looking for a new Samsung that will meet my needs. I got this one Jan 2020 and every day I realize just how much I need a replacement. I usually buy a middle of the road price Samsung and they last 2.5-5 years. 

When I feel like it!   I mean, I have had phones that needed replacing, but I also have just replaced them to get a better camera or whatever.

I started with an iPhone 4 as my first iPhone.  It took me a while to even want a smart phone.   Since then I have had several iPhones.    Right now I am using an iPhone 13 max pro and it is running strong so I doubt I will do anything to upgrade anytime soon.   I think I got it 3 years ago.

Usually 4-5 years. More often than not, the issue is battery life and that is what drives me to get a new one. I have never cracked or shattered a screen; I am fanatical about putting durable protection on the screen and sticking it in a case the day I buy it. 

My current phone is still fairly new; it is ~ 1.5 years old. 

Not often here. I upgraded 3 years ago to an IPhone 12 Pro Max from a Samsung S5. My boys were 16 and got their 1st phone - the same one as me.

My DH didn’t upgrade with me and his Samsung S5 stopped working - it is how he gets into his work computer. So he offered me a new iPhone 14 Pro Max and he took my iPhone 12. 

Hopefully it is a long while before we upgrade again. Any new phones the boys get they will be paying for so they keep theirs nice 😁.

i really don’t like having to set up a new phone.

I can only remember having an old Motorola (I think?), then iPhone 6, then X, and now 14. So I guess every 4-5ish years?? Like @Ginevra, I keep a case/screen protector always and have never broken my phone. With the 6, my battery stopped charging so I moved to the X. I never really liked the X, so I finally upgraded with the 14 bc I wanted the better camera. I’m happy with it and will keep it as along as I can. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We do when the previous one breaks, which seems to be every 4-5 years….

Same!  Although I will keep using it with a cracked screen as long as it works otherwise ....

I think my kids' phones are now 5.5 years old, and I think they are still fine.  They are iphone 8s.  Am I hearing that they won't continue getting security updates?

Also - in case some of you might not be aware - if the screen breaks, you can get the screen replaced and the phone will probably be as good as new.  We go to a repair place called CPR Cell Phone Repair.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Usually every 2-3 years. I've had Samsung Galaxy phones for the past 12 years, starting with the S3. I usually skip one or two versions. I'm currently using the S23 Ultra which I got shortly after it was released.

Edited by Lady Florida.

Someone in the family usually gets a phone about every 2-4 years, then the other phones get passed down til worst phone gets retired. I'd say on average individual phones last about 5-7 years.

Last time one of us replaced a phone, this is what happened:

Oldest bought a new phone, and mine had been acting janky for a while, so I took her old one and mine got passed to uncle whose phone was worse than mine. Prior to that I think it was DH who got a new phone and passed his phone to middle DD who passed her phone to youngest.

When the battery no longer charges. I've got a 2020 iPhone SE now. 

I have five iPads-four for student use (with just the apps I want, running locally, and everything else disabled) and one that my life is on. My oldest was manufactured in 2014. I figure when it can no longer run the apps I need, that will be when I upgrade my current "carry with me everywhere" one. 

When the old one quits working properly. My daughter has had hers for 4 years now. I bought my last one used and it lasted me several years. I find the best deal and get that one. My newest phone is about a year and a half old and I ended up getting the newest one only because the rebates made it cheaper than a used one. My husband has had his for years now as well. 

On 6/9/2024 at 9:49 AM, SKL said:

I think my kids' phones are now 5.5 years old, and I think they are still fine.  They are iphone 8s.  Am I hearing that they won't continue getting security updates?

Also - in case some of you might not be aware - if the screen breaks, you can get the screen replaced and the phone will probably be as good as new.  We go to a repair place called CPR Cell Phone Repair.

For me repairing the phone is seldom cost effective, but it’s been awhile since I tried.  Having my husband replace an iPhone screen is $85-$100 and I can usually upgrade a few levels for $99 and several levels for $199.  

About 2 years.  I've got just over a year in on my 14 Pro Max and it works just as well as when I first got it.  When the apps I use daily for work start being sluggish or it starts getting buggy, that's when I start considering an upgrade.  I suppose this one may last me a little longer since I don't have any complaints. 

I keep mine until they act haunted. My last 4 phones have been iPhones and I did

original - 2008

4s - 2012

8 - 2018

15 - 2024

I’m still using my ipad2 from 2012, but I can just load books on it I can no longer update. 

• Like 2

Usually when the battery no longer holds a charge well enough, which has been 4-5 years.  We also put our phones (and tablets, and kindles) into protective cases and screenprotectors straightaway, and have never broken one, even with toddlers around.  (It is sad we never get a chance to enjoy the sleekness of the phones, but it's worth it to not have to worry about breaking them.)

DH got an iphone 3 in 09, then a used galaxy s3 in 13, a used s7 in 17, and then a new s20 in 22. It was battery life for all but the last one; while his s7 was winning no battery longevity awards, he was still stubbornly making it work till we switched providers and the new one didnt support the s7.  We bought the s20 new because the used savings wasn't huge and with the battery problems we tend to have, we didnt want to start out with a used battery.

The girls and I are on our first smartphones, with the oldest being 2 years old.  I am hoping to get many more years from them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

For me repairing the phone is seldom cost effective, but it’s been awhile since I tried.  Having my husband replace an iPhone screen is $85-$100 and I can usually upgrade a few levels for $99 and several levels for $199.  

That’s awesome- I miss the days when we could upgrade for free or at a steep discount. Our carrier only does good deals on new phones when you do things like add a line or upgrade plans or something.  T mobile is cheap for us (though I am currently arguing w them  because they have broken their promise on the $30 for life on a 55+ plan) but iPhones are expensive so replacing a battery is cost effective for us.

6 minutes ago, Annie G said:

T mobile is cheap for us (though I am currently arguing w them  because they have broken their promise on the $30 for life on a 55+ plan) but iPhones are expensive so replacing a battery is cost effective for us.

Walmart now and then has prepaid iPhone SE 2020 (2nd gen) for $99 and prepaid iPhone SE 3rd gen for $199. 

• Like 1

I’m on my third over 11 years - I think the first one I had for six and the second for 4. It depends how new the model you got was at the time as to how well it will handle new software updates etc. typically with devices now we get to a point where it’s either replace the battery or the device and then it becomes a cost analysis as to whether it’s worth it. 

Also I put a chunky trade type case on all our devices from the get go which mostly seems to save decisions about replacing screens etc. are they pretty and sleek? No. Do they suit my lifestyle and clumsiness level? Yes!!!

2 hours ago, Annie G said:

That’s awesome- I miss the days when we could upgrade for free or at a steep discount. Our carrier only does good deals on new phones when you do things like add a line or upgrade plans or something.  T mobile is cheap for us (though I am currently arguing w them  because they have broken their promise on the $30 for life on a 55+ plan) but iPhones are expensive so replacing a battery is cost effective for us.

I use straight talk and I think we can upgrade whenever we want to pay for a new one. I just got the iPhone 11 for $199.  It’s not the newest version but it’s a big step up from my old 6!  I think I pay $35 a month for unlimited talk/text and I think I get 5 gigs of data.  I’ve only run out of data a few times and it’s easy to add more on those rare occasions.  

Edited by Heartstrings

11 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I use straight talk and I think we can upgrade whenever we want to pay for a new one. I just got the iPhone 11 for $199.  It’s not the newest version but it’s a big step up from my old 6!  I think I pay $35 a month for unlimited talk/text and I think I get 5 gigs of data.  I’ve only run out of data a few times and it’s easy to add more on those rare occasions.  

My t-mobile will only be $35 a line and it includes unlimited data. I’m just irritated that it was supposed to be $30/month for life. I shouldn’t complain- that’s a good flat rate, w taxes and fees included.

I used a iPhone 6s for 10 years. Before I’d fly, I’d be dumping apps so I could re-load the airline app and other travel apps/audible/etc. That was a pain, but on a day-to-day basis, it met my needs just fine.
Just upgraded to a 15pro because there was a good deal when we (finally) got high speed internet service way out where we live in the wild blue yonder. 
My DH’s employer upgrades their phones every 3 years.

About 3 ish years? Usually what happens is a teen hits 16/17 and needs their first phone - so they get my old phone and I upgrade to a new phone.

A few things to consider is:

The trade in value of the phone. My phone is worth at least something in trade in during that time and nothing after that time in most cases.

In the case of Apple, at some point they stop updating os for models 4+ editions back.  So what you have on the phone might stop working or you might not be able to add newer apps without problems.

If you use your smart phone like a dumb phone - then none of that really matters.

But I’m at a point where I can go literally months never needing to get on any other type of device.  And I like it that way.  No laptop, iPad, desktop.  I have those things but they are a solid 8+ years old except for the $150 Chromebook I bought last year that I hate with the passion of a thousand suns but it suits the cheap budget needs for teen online classes.

We just got new phones this past spring. Our old Android phones were 5 years old. The battery life on them was finally to the point they wouldn't even last a day any more. They weren't eligible for trade in so we just bought the new model of the same phone (TMobile Revelry). We gave my old phone to ds11 to play games on, the sim card has been taken out so no cell phone service on it. He just keeps it plugged in while he's playing on it or listening to audiobooks or music in his room.

Our most recent update was because we got a phone for our youngest daughter, and there was a BOGO deal, so we all got new phones. 

The time before that was because my dh lost his phone while hiking, so we took the opportunity to upgrade my phone also and give my old one to our oldest daughter. 

The time before that, my phone had to be replaced because it wasn't holding a charge anymore. I believe that was my first smart phone.