Menu

Is there a song with your name in it?

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I have one. It’s such a beautiful but melancholy song. I would love it even if it didn’t have my name in it. 

I can think of one for Lisa, Lola, Jolene, Jill, Caroline, Maria, and many, many more. But not for Lori and tons of others, of course. 

Do you have one?

Can you pm me the song? It is going to drive me crazy 

Posted (edited)

Now I feel dumb because Texas Proud linked a SK movie with her name right there. I was so sure there was only one KISS song with a girl name that it went right over my head and I just thought Christine must be a movie with MY name it. 🤦‍♀️

@Home'scooltold ya I did stuff like this all the time. DUH moment. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2

Yes....when the movie La Bamba came out, I quickly got sick of it because half my school thought it was fun to sing it around me (it was the B side to the original single, so naturally was in the movie). 

There's also one in the musical Hair. Luckily, they never found that one.

And one in Phantom of the Opera....

• Like 1

There are a few songs with my name in it. Most are not in English because my name is from another language. My name also fits nicely into the Boston song mentioned upthread, so two different toxic young men connected that song to me. It is painful for me to listen to. It’s a beautiful song, too.

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Yes, and it came out in 1986 while I was in elementary school. Had the repetitive little snippet sung to me by boys on the playground teasing me and by grown men while I was working in high school.

”Hi, my name is Sarah and I’ll be waiting on you today”

”Sar-ah. Sar-ar-ar ah”

”yup”

Sarah makes me think of Sara by Starship. I have an ex-classmate (7th grade) named Sara.

"Sara, Sara, storms are brewin' in your eyes"

• Like 2

I had to google and apparently there is a song named Arcadia by American singer-songwriter Lana Del Rey. From the lyrics, I guess it is talking about Arcadia the city in SoCal.  When I did a google search of my other english name, I found a few singers and a few song titles.

• Like 2

My name is “normal” in that everyone can recognize it, spell it, and pronounce it.  However, there is rarely anyone with my same name in the room. It’s just not that popular and probably would t make a top 100 list. As a child, the stuff with names on it never had mine. 

I know THREE songs with my name. 🤣 They’re popular songs that everybody knows!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

Well, I figured you knew since I mentioned the Stephen King novel/movie, which is even worse than the KISS song...  I am pure evil....ughhh  And yeah, I think I was a 10th grader when it came out... So embarrassing.

I was going crazy trying to remember a Kiss song called Carrie.   I didn't even think about Christine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I was in high school when some guy on the stairs sang this at me (I had never heard it before). I like it but it doesn't really fit me (never really thought this world was killing me).

• Like 1

No popular songs that I know of with my name in it.  But there are tons of songs using my sister's name.  😛  And yes, my parents used to sing some of them to her / borrow nicknames from them.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I was going crazy trying to remember a Kiss song called Carrie.   I didn't even think about Christine.

It was such a horrible movie, it was quickly forgotten...but yeah my namesake car going around killing people..  I never saw the movie.  I did read the book when it came out since it had my name, but hated it.  I am not a Stephen King fan at all.  I think I tried one other book  but hated it as well.  But yeah people would sing the KISS song to me all the time... 

15 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I had no idea so I googled my name to see what songs were out there and was surprised to find that there is a Partridge Family song with my name. How no one in my entire life ever mentioned this to me, since the Partridge Family and I come from the same era which means all my friends were from that time, blows my mind.

Is your real name "Halfway?"

😁

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

LOTS of songs with the name Dawn in it, but not all of them are about a person named Dawn.

Here are a few:

Delta Dawn - Helen Reddy
Dawn Chorus - Hazel O'Connor
Slow Train To Dawn - The The (Matt Johnson's so cool)
Dawn Storm - T-Rex
Dawn Song - Grover Washington, Jr.
Before The Dawn - Judas Priest
Dawn Patrol - Megadeth
Creep - Stone Temple Pilots
Erotic City - Prince
You Should Be Dancing - Bee Gees
Canary - Liz Phair
777 - Danzig
Shadowkings - Paradise Lost
Avalon - Nat King Cole
I'm Alive - ELO
Jersey Thursday - Donovan
Lady Of The Lamp - Donovan
Where Is She - Donovan

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

If you haven't already, Google to find songs with your name.  I only knew of one with my actual name, plus another that had a nickname, and I didn't like either of them.  I just Googled and found a bunch of them!  Some I actually like.  Who knew?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, klmama said:

If you haven't already, Google to find songs with your name.  I only knew of one with my actual name, plus another that had a nickname, and I didn't like either of them.  I just Googled and found a bunch of them!  Some I actually like.  Who knew?  

Interesting! I just did that and there were a bunch I didn't know about! 

ETA - maybe not a bunch, but definitely more than I thought.

Edited by Kassia

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

LOTS of songs with the name Dawn in it, but not all of them are about a person named Dawn.

Here are a few:

Delta Dawn - Helen Reddy
Dawn Chorus - Hazel O'Connor
Slow Train To Dawn - The The (Matt Johnson's so cool)
Dawn Storm - T-Rex
Dawn Song - Grover Washington, Jr.
Before The Dawn - Judas Priest
Dawn Patrol - Megadeth
Creep - Stone Temple Pilots
Erotic City - Prince
You Should Be Dancing - Bee Gees
Canary - Liz Phair
777 - Danzig
Shadowkings - Paradise Lost
Avalon - Nat King Cole
I'm Alive - ELO
Jersey Thursday - Donovan
Lady Of The Lamp - Donovan
Where Is She - Donovan

Delta Dawn was originally sung by Tanya Tucker written especially for her by David Allen Coe. 

1 hour ago, klmama said:

If you haven't already, Google to find sosengs with your name.  I only knew of one with my actual name, plus another that had a nickname, and I didn't like either of them.  I just Googled and found a bunch of them!  Some I actually like.  Who knew?  

I did this and found a ton of songs with my name that I didn't even know about including 10 songs that were in the top ten on the Hot 100 board. Apparently my name was pretty popular when I was born but I have only met two other people with that name and one of those was in elementary school. Surprisingly she also had the same birth date as me.

20 hours ago, SKL said:

No popular songs that I know of with my name in it.  But there are tons of songs using my sister's name.  😛  And yes, my parents used to sing some of them to her / borrow nicknames from them.

There was one for my sister's name we sang, too. lol

There is one from the 60's that my best friend's dad used to sing to me whenever I called their house. I didn't like the song on its own but I liked his singing it. 

My name also gets a brief shout out in Around the Way Girl by LL Cool J. ☺️

No, but when I was a young adult I had multiple young men (at different places, times, even in different states) sing "Lola" (by The Kinks) to me -- even though the only thing it has in common is the 1st character and the number of letters.

It happened enough that when my DH wanted to name our oldest daughter Roxanne, I put my foot down hard --  no daughter of mine was going to have to put up with some guy singing Roxanne at her LOL!  Obviously from this thread, I should have been considering that issue with some other possible names too 😆

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

My name is a variation of my grandmother’s Johanna.

As students in the late eighties we played this Eddy Grant song, which was banned by the apartheid government at the time, handing dubbed cassette tape copies between friends.

https://youtu.be/R-ZplG81oZg?si=VBP60gmsoYFTkXbX

it refers to the city of Johannesburg though, but was the first that came to mind.

Edited by Hannah
Typo of Eddy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The only one I know of is the song that Woody wrote and sang for his girlfriend on Cheers. I'll have people start singing it at me sometimes 😁

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly,
Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, K-E-L-L-Y ...
Why? Because you're

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly,
(pause) Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly,
Kelly of mine!

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Haha 3