Jump to content

Menu

JAWM-sympathy please TMI-please don't quote


NewIma
 Share

Recommended Posts

Please don't quote as I will delete later. Back in August almost overnight I developed a huge labial abscess almost the size of a golf ball. I went to my Dr and he drained it (painful) and put me on antibiotic #1. After 7 days the area was still infected so he added another week of antibiotic #1. After that things were ok for a couple of weeks on my labia, but I developed an outer ear infection in both ears from all the baths I was taking to help my heal my abcess and was put on antibiotic #2.

A few weeks later the abscess came back. Dr. drained it again (again painful) and put me on antibiotics #3. The abcess is not healing. He prescribes me antibiotics #4. 

I am taking antibiotic # 4 the week before the election. My anxiety is through the roof. I end up in the ER one night thinking I am having a heart attack but it ends up being panic/anxiety. I assumed it was because of the election. On the day after the election I go back in because I am still not healing. Dr. puts me on antibiotic # 5 and schedules me for surgery on the 9th to remove the abcess. I feel better emotionally and assume it must be because the election is (sort of) over. 

I had my surgery on Monday (the 9th). It was way more intense than I expected. I have internal and external stitches and the incision is 3 inches long on my lady bits. Obviously the pain is terrible. Yesterday I went back to the Dr because the incision is infected. He switched me off antibiotic #5 back to #4. I took #4 yesterday and this morning. 

Today I have completely spiraled out and am having the same feelings/sensations I had at the beginning of the month when I thought I was having a heart attack and in the middle of it put together that both times I felt this way I was on antibiotic #4.

So I called the on-call Dr who called my regular Dr who says that severe anxiety can be a side effect. So now I am being switched to antibiotic #6 and hoping my chest will go back to normal and my lady bits will heal and this whole nightmare will end.

I am so so tired of it all.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 70
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, elroisees said:

Oh, babe, I'm sorry you're going through that. That sounds really rough. 

And it's crazy that an antibiotic has such a side effect! I'm really glad you figured it out. 

Right?!? I had to do some digging but it is listed as a possible side effect on some websites and in the UK. I also found some case studies where they suggest it might make people suicidal occasionally? It is a common antibiotic so I think these are uncommon side effects.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh!

I think anytime medication can do a job on our gut microbiome, anxiety is a very real risk. Gut and brain seem to be linked that way.

Agreeing about Florastor type probiotics--I take a different brand of the same organism, and it's amazing stuff. 

Do you have cushioning that helps (like a donut)? There are a some nice hot/cold packs made from clay (inside plastic) that can be molded to fit where needed. I hope you have access to several things to try.

Is the outer ear infection cleared up? I am very prone to those, and I found out that you can use white vinegar drops every 4-8 hours to clear those up. I have successfully avoided antibiotics for outer ear infections with this method in spite of having had MRSA infections in my ears in the past. You have to keep it up for a few days after the ear feels better, but it doesn't have to be at quite the same frequency. If you add a little bit of rubbing alcohol, it helps the vinegar drain out better (interferes with surface tension). 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, NewIma said:

It is a common antibiotic so I think these are uncommon side effects.

Remember to write down the name of the antibiotic and let your other doctors and your dentist know. I am mildly allergic to penicillin so I had to let my dentist know as well.

Hope you recover soon.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewIma said:

Right?!? I had to do some digging but it is listed as a possible side effect on some websites and in the UK. I also found some case studies where they suggest it might make people suicidal occasionally? It is a common antibiotic so I think these are uncommon side effects.

I once took an antibiotic that spun me into a depression, like sobbing and shaking uncontrollably on the kitchen floor convinced I was going to die and baby DS was going to be all alone. I’ve never been so scared in my life. Finding the strength to call my husband at work during the spell felt like a superhuman feat. It, too, is a common antibiotic. 

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Sending you virtual healing thoughts...

  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Ugh!

I think anytime medication can do a job on our gut microbiome, anxiety is a very real risk. Gut and brain seem to be linked that way.

Agreeing about Florastor type probiotics--I take a different brand of the same organism, and it's amazing stuff. 

Do you have cushioning that helps (like a donut)? There are a some nice hot/cold packs made from clay (inside plastic) that can be molded to fit where needed. I hope you have access to several things to try.

Is the outer ear infection cleared up? I am very prone to those, and I found out that you can use white vinegar drops every 4-8 hours to clear those up. I have successfully avoided antibiotics for outer ear infections with this method in spite of having had MRSA infections in my ears in the past. You have to keep it up for a few days after the ear feels better, but it doesn't have to be at quite the same frequency. If you add a little bit of rubbing alcohol, it helps the vinegar drain out better (interferes with surface tension). 

Thank you! The ear infection took 2 weeks but it did clear up. I might try the vinegar if it happens again!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

I once took an antibiotic that spun me into a depression, like sobbing and shaking uncontrollably on the kitchen floor convinced I was going to die and baby DS was going to be all alone. I’ve never been so scared in my life. Finding the strength to call my husband at work during the spell felt like a superhuman feat. It, too, is a common antibiotic. 

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Sending you virtual healing thoughts...

I am so sorry that happened to you, and I can totally understand now.  The world was completely ending. I have mild anxiety in general, but this has been so intense and sudden and not like anything I've ever experienced.  I never ever would have thought antibiotics could have that effect. 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, dear, I'm so sorry you are going through this awful experience.  Praying for complete healing from the infection and from the med side effects.

I'd like to share something that helped with a non-healing situation here, in case you want to try it.  One of my dc had a scary skin infection, and antibiotics and topical meds weren't taking care of it.  I read online that garlic is a natural antibiotic, so we tried adding it to dc's diet, in addition to the meds.  By the end of the 2nd day of adding garlic, the infected area had clearly started to improve. Raw garlic is supposed to be more effective than cooked garlic (but I made foods that used both raw and cooked, so dc would be willing to eat them) and the garlic is most effective if crushed and let sit for 10 minutes before using it.  I'm sure Google can explain better, if you are interested in trying it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, I'm so sorry! 

I've had multiple cysts/abcesses/I don't know what on my labia, both inner and outer labia, and it is MISERABLE! SO painful! If it helps, the two things that help mine are 1. washing with hibclense. The surgical scrub stuff. It has antibactrial properties that remain on the skin in a film. And 2. not wearing pants that have a tight crotch to put pressure/friction in that area. So I wear either VERY lightweight/soft leggings or shorts/pants with baggy/loose crotch. 

Those two things seem to both make a big difference. The baggy clothes to prevent, and the hibiclense (any chlorhexidine based scrub) to treat at the first sign of a tingle/itch/pain. There is some evidence that cholorhexidine has antinflammatory properties above and beyond the antibacterial properties. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, klmama said:

Oh, dear, I'm so sorry you are going through this awful experience.  Praying for complete healing from the infection and from the med side effects.

I'd like to share something that helped with a non-healing situation here, in case you want to try it.  One of my dc had a scary skin infection, and antibiotics and topical meds weren't taking care of it.  I read online that garlic is a natural antibiotic, so we tried adding it to dc's diet, in addition to the meds.  By the end of the 2nd day of adding garlic, the infected area had clearly started to improve. Raw garlic is supposed to be more effective than cooked garlic (but I made foods that used both raw and cooked, so dc would be willing to eat them) and the garlic is most effective if crushed and let sit for 10 minutes before using it.  I'm sure Google can explain better, if you are interested in trying it.

I have lots of garlic! I'll give it a try!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

 

Thank you so much for these suggestions! I actually saw hibiclense at the pharmacy today and was wondering if that might help. I've never used it before. I'm sorry you have also had to deal with these issues. It is absolutely awful!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewIma said:

Thank you so much for these suggestions! I actually saw hibiclense at the pharmacy today and was wondering if that might help. I've never used it before. I'm sorry you have also had to deal with these issues. It is absolutely awful!

 

One of ways it works is to be "persistent" even after washing. It continues to kill germs for a while. Use it all over, not just in affected areas. 

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Oh, dear, I'm so sorry you are going through this awful experience.  Praying for complete healing from the infection and from the med side effects.

I'd like to share something that helped with a non-healing situation here, in case you want to try it.  One of my dc had a scary skin infection, and antibiotics and topical meds weren't taking care of it.  I read online that garlic is a natural antibiotic, so we tried adding it to dc's diet, in addition to the meds.  By the end of the 2nd day of adding garlic, the infected area had clearly started to improve. Raw garlic is supposed to be more effective than cooked garlic (but I made foods that used both raw and cooked, so dc would be willing to eat them) and the garlic is most effective if crushed and let sit for 10 minutes before using it.  I'm sure Google can explain better, if you are interested in trying it.

This reminds me...I wonder if that special honey would be helpful? A friend used it for a surgical site, but it might have been after a few days, not right away. I think we've had threads on here about honey for wounds and what kind you need to get.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

One of ways it works is to be "persistent" even after washing. It continues to kill germs for a while. Use it all over, not just in affected areas. 

This reminds me...I wonder if that special honey would be helpful? A friend used it for a surgical site, but it might have been after a few days, not right away. I think we've had threads on here about honey for wounds and what kind you need to get.

manuka honey.  But I personally would check with the doctor before using. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, kbutton said:

One of ways it works is to be "persistent" even after washing. It continues to kill germs for a while. Use it all over, not just in affected areas. 

This reminds me...I wonder if that special honey would be helpful? A friend used it for a surgical site, but it might have been after a few days, not right away. I think we've had threads on here about honey for wounds and what kind you need to get.

Manuka Honey, and I bet it would, as long as it didn't interfere with sutures. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely get the Hibiclense! I know it says on there somewhere not for use on mucous membranes, but seriously, it's fine, lol.

Also, again, I just sympathize. and it's hard to have pain "down there" because it isn't like you feel like you can talk about it and complain the way you can with say, an injured finger. It's just...awkward. So you are in pain, and tired, and miserable, and can't SAY it really to just anyone. "Sorry, I'm under the weather, my crotch hurts" isn't really considered polite conversation, lol. So that just seems to make it worse, because it feels, well, embarrassing on top of everything else. 

So hugs. You can talk about it here. No shame! 

And get that hibiclense! And baggy crotch pants!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...