Menu

What temperature do you set your thermostat to during the winter?

Terabith

I turned ours from 74 (summer temperature) to 70, and my husband and children are acting like they are freezing to death.  Granted, the bedrooms are definitely colder than that, since the children keep the doors closed to keep the cats out, but it's not THAT cold in here.  My husband is playing video games while wearing a coat.  My oldest daughter is under a blanket and laying on the heating pad.  My other daughter is in my bedroom, in my bed, under all the blankets.  I'm comfortable in a light sweater (and knit pants and socks), but I have my fat to keep me warm, too.  But 70 seems like a perfectly reasonable, even slightly high to me, temperature.

Normally 70 at the main level during the day when people are home (65 at night and when at work). Which means it is significantly colder in the upstairs bedrooms when the doors are closed, and in the basement.If it is really cold outside, we turn it up to 72.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Mine is on 60 right now and I'm freezing my butt off. But I'm just being stubborn because I know it'll be hot again in just a few days. (Crazy NC fall weather.) I've only got it on because we dropped below freezing overnights this week.

Once we're actually in cool weather, and stay there, I'll turn it up to 68ish.

66 during the day and 57 at night. 

I wear layers and drink tea to stay warm.  The kids are immune and happily run around in short sleeves and bare feet.  :eek:  

I will sometimes bump it up to 68 during my afternoon energy slump if the cold is getting to me; the system drops it back down after a couple hours and as long as I have gotten busy again by then I rarely notice.

Wendy

• Like 1

I have the heat set to kick on at 65, but I don't think it's come on yet this winter. It's 40 degrees outside right now (7 pm) and 69 in my house with no heat. Maybe once it got below 66-67 here. It will happen at some point as it gets colder, and may set it a bit higher. Mornings feel cold getting out of bed.

Our house is an over-heater in the summer (no shade on the afternoon sun side of the house), but that plays well for us in the winter.

People sleep better in cool, so it doesn't bother me, and I'm cold intolerant by nature. I do feel cold though, and I like warm if it weren't so expensive.  I wrap up in a blanket most of the time and sometimes heat a rice pack in the microwave because it feels good to me. I only really think it's terribly unpleasant in the shower. Other than that it's mildly to moderate unpleasant to me, I think a little unpleasant to my boys, and not much at all to my husband (he wears shorts!) 

I tell myself I'm off-setting some of the cost of cooling this place in the summer. 

Edited by sbgrace

70 during the day, 65 at night. I’ve always been pretty cold after having kids, but after my >100lb weight loss, I’m much colder. Dh takes it personally if I set it cooler to save money so I’ve set it where I’m more comfortable and require fewer layers. We just got a new programmable thermostat and it seems to maintain the house at a more even temp. I haven’t seen the natural gas bill yet, but we’re on budget billing so I’ll adjust accordingly in December if it ends up using more therms than the budget can handle.

68-82 upstairs, 70-79 downstairs year round (we have one of those fancy thermostat thingies that you set to upper and lower limits and it keeps it between those temperatures).  We live in South Texas, though, so like right now the temperature in the house is naturally 74 with no heating or cooling happening.

I would not survive in your homes! Ours pretty much stays on 73 during the cold months. Sometimes dh or one of the dc will turn it up but never down. Even at 73 we're in sweats and have blankets out.

During the warm months, it usually sits at 78 (75 at night).

• Like 2

I start the cold season with the heat at 64, then it creeps up as the cold weather continues - by February, I'm so tired of being cold all the time that it gets up to 67 or 68.  We have a drafty old house with some single-pane windows (we cover what we can in plastic, but the antique woodwork gets in the way sometimes).  The upstairs is always warmer than downstairs.

I break our "no shoes in the house" rule for winter, as slippers just aren't enough for me - my fake Uggs work fabulously for inside use.  I often wear a hat inside, and if I just can't get warm, I put on mittens as well and run laps inside until I get a bit warmer.  That's with the long johns and sweatshirt too.

When we go places in the winter and we'll be there for an hour or more, I have to remind my kiddos to take off some layers before we leave.  I still remember my oldest (who freezes like his mama) when he was five.  It was May and I gently reminded him that it was really time to stop wearing long johns.  "But I'm just not quite ready, Mama.  I could wear them until it's shorts season, right?"

We have it set at 58 or 59 here.  I wear multiple layers, but a few of my kids wear shorts and t-shirts year round in the house.  :lol:

But we do have a pellet stove --which *is* our primary heat downstairs during the winter, and the oil furnace is the supplement.  The pellets are cheaper than oil.

We just use space heaters at night in the upstairs rooms. 

In our younger years we used to keep ours set around 63.  Now that I'm older and cold weather affects me more we're at 68 and I'm pretty bundled.  Next year I'm thinking we're going to start our snowbirding and fly south for the bulk of the winter instead of just a month or so as we do now.

In the summer we don't turn the AC on unless it's over 80 in the house. 

I love temps between 70 and 80, but I'm not willing to pay more for fuel oil nor do I like having the dry air artificial heat creates.  

Heating is set to 68 during the day and 64 at night.  But we do have a fireplace and a fire daily.  Slippers and sweaters are needed if you're just sitting around.  But we only cool to 78 day/80 night.  Thankfully, we have a short winter and the heat is on for only a few months.  

We are at 65 only because I'm too stubborn to turn up the heat.  Everyone is cold to varying degrees with me being the most frozen.  2-3 layers of sweatshirts. Heavy furry blanket on my lap  and drinking hot tea most of the day and I still feel chilled to the bone.  But I know the expense it will cost to raise the temp to something more comfortable so we will struggle through and eventually our bodies will adjust to the cooler temps.

77 in the summer when my dh is home.  78 when he's not.  (I can tell when he's due to be home, because that one degree makes me feel cold)

67 in the winter and it's cold (we have leaky windows).  I wear an ankle-length, hooded, zip-up, fuzzy robe over my clothes all winter long. 

This one: http://www.womanwithin.com/product.aspx?PfId=509376&deptid=9446&ProductTypeId=1&affiliate_id=017&affiliate_location_id=10&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&mobi_stop=true&scid=scbplp3915000062170mkM~M&sc_intid=3915000062170mkM~M

I'm not quite in a plus size, so I got their smallest size (medium) and it works great over top of my other clothes.  When I get really cold, I put the hood up (like right now.)

Edited by Garga

66 during the day if we're all home. 63 if it's just me and the one kid - she gets cold easier than everybody else, so her room has a space heater *anyway*. It's cheaper to heat her room to her desired temperature than the whole house, and since it's running anyway it's cheaper to lower the heat all over if nobody else is using it. We just hole up in there for schoolwork. 55 at night, and everybody can just put on another blanket.

But we're actively trying to save money on the furnace.

As for the summer, we have an A/C in the attic bedroom or it's unlivable, and one in the living room that only goes on when the temperature is above 88F. It's on when people are home. It's off when they're not. Everybody is encouraged to go more often to the public pool and the library.

75, I hate layers. I refuse to be cold. In the summer ( unless I'm pregnant) we don't even turn the air on, so in my mind justifies the electricity used in the winter. I grew up with a coal furnace and I dare say nothing is warmer and I don't like being cold inside.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 2

No AC here, but in winter we do 70-72 in the day.  Sometimes I will push it to 73-74 if it's especially cold, just for a couple hours before we turn it down for the night.  Night is at 64-65.

Our house is over 130 years old and has a weird furnace-radiator system thing.  Part of the system needs to be filled with water a few times a week. When it is really cold and runs constantly, the water can get used up in the middle of the night sometimes and the furnace shuts off.  We'll wake up to the thermostat reading 52-54 when that happens.

I had to convert from celsius, but we are at 72 F right now and I am wearing a lot of layers and a wool sweater and wool socks and warm fuzzy slippers and playing twister and hula hooping and I would not describe myself as warm in any way. 

We do set it down quite a bit at night though (to 65ish) as we sleep better when it's cooler and the second floor where the bedrooms are located is warmer than the main floor.

Our house is a split foyer with an addition on top.  We set the downstairs thermostat at 62.  Our house is weirdly upside down. The 'downstairs' is really the basement which is our bedroom, sitting room, and the living room.  We would probably keep it cooler but it gets too damp and the floor gets damp to the point of mildew.  I spend most of my time in the 'sitting room'.

The second floor is the kitchen and kid's rooms.  We keep it at 65 instead of 62 up there because the kids are swamp blossoms and will whinge about being too cold even though ds will frequently sit at the table in shorts and bare feet.  DH is frequently know to say, "If you're cold, go put on some clothes!" 

DD has a snake so the reptile light really heats her room.

The up-upstairs ( isn't weird what you end up calling things?)  is a huge family room built over the garage. It has a gas heater.  The kids turn it on to the preferred level  when they go up there.  If a parent goes up at some point, almost inevitably, the parent will turn it down about 10 degrees.  :coolgleamA:

edit to add:  Right now, it's about 17F outside and 62 inside. I'm currently wearing a short sleeve t-shirt and a pair of stretch pj pants and I'm perfectly warm. When I go to bed tonight, I'll crack the window a bit.

Edited by Tammi K

Setting the thermostat in our house is really more of a vague suggestion than an actual temperature commitment, but I generally set it around 72 in the winter.  I hate being cold, and our house is so drafty.  In the summer -- and our summers are long and hot -- I set it around 81 or 82, which is very comfortable.

Edited by JennyD